Extra chapter: Fragment of the past 5
185 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello! Surprise chapter today. Lilies and Dragons managed to hit 'Trending' a while back and I wanted to put an extra chapter up as soon as possible to celebrate. Unfortunately the internet connection was pretty choppy where I was at so I couldn't do much while there. But hey, better late than never right? I hope everyone enjoys it!

 

With the grace of a celestial lion the hunter sneaks up on her prey. Dainty feet tiptoe over the creaky planks with nary a sound as if she's a ghost. Her hands are raised in front of her like the claws of a praying mantis, fingers wiggling while she approaches her unsuspecting prey.

“Boo!”

Zhi jumps half a foot in the air, whirls around and lashes out with a fist. Her strike narrowly stops in front of WeiWei’s button nose, the petite courtesan’s titters not having stopped for even the slightest second as she stands unflinchingly in harm’s way.

“WeiWei, what the hells! Ah coulda broken yer nose!”

“Pfft! You’re so funny ZhiZhi. I know you’d never hurt me.”

“You…” Zhi trails off with a sigh. Taking a deep breath to calm her rapidly beating heart she glares at her friend who simply replies with an innocent smile. “What d’ya want, WeiWei?”

“Aww, can’t I come visit a friend?” WeiWei asks with the corners of her mouth drooping, her hands clutched to her chest and a tremble in her eyes.

“N- that’s not what ah-”

“Pfft.”

“WeiWei you little!” 

Taking a step closer Zhi raises her fist over her head prompting another titter while the petite woman elegantly dances out of range. An effort that is promptly ruined when WeiWei sticks out her tongue and blows a raspberry at the gang leader.

After a brief chase the pair are both giggling and leaning against the nearest object while they pant from the exertion. It isn’t long however before WeiWei finds a second wind and smiles mischievously. The smile vanishes before Zhi can see it and WeiWei pretends it was never there, happily babbling away about whatever subject comes to mind instead.

“So then I was like ‘Heavens, it’s so big!’ and he completely believed me. You should’ve seen him, Zhi, just lit up. Shoulders all wide and chest thrust forward. I made so much money that night, second most in the entire Fragrant Pond after TaiTai. Ah! Don’t tell anyone about TaiTai, only a few people are allowed to know she’s here, m’kay? We’ll be in trouble if people know who she is.”

“Sure, wha’ever. Why’s zat though?”

“Oh yeah I also shared some of it with Wen. This really rich looking man came in and wanted to see the two of us play around so we gave a little show-”

“Are ya ignorin’ me?”

“-by dancing around with each other, swirling our tongues together with loud noises and pawing each other’s bodies, ya know? The usual.”

“A-ah guess?” Zhi replies with a slight flush and a clear lack of understanding. 

“Well, it’s not like I get to do that often recently. Not since…” WeiWei trails off, a frown on her face as she considers what to say. “Be careful okay, ZhiZhi?”

“Dat came outta nowhere. Whazz goin’ on?”

Biting her lip WeiWei hesitates. She swallows and takes a deep breath before continuing. 

“I… haven’t known for long either but more and more people have been disappearing recently. I’ve heard a few guards grumbling about it but hadn’t really thought about it until, well…”

“Until?”

“One of ours went missing, Zhi.” WeiWei said with an uncharacteristically serious look on her face. “That never happens, ya know? Everyone from the Fragrant Pond Pavillion has this brooch that means the city lord will come after you if so much as a hair on our head is harmed. We always wear it when going outside, see?”

The petite woman continues while wiggling side to side causing the brooch pinned to the front of her robe to jiggle melodiously.

“It even has this fancy sound to let people know even if they can’t see it, like if they’re behind you, ya know? If even this isn’t enough…”

Zhi’s brow furrows as she begins to mutter to herself. Before she can get lost in thought however WeiWei shakes her shoulder and fixes her with a mock glare.

“This is serious, ZhiZhi. Pay attention! I wasn’t finished yet.”

“Ah’m listening.”

“Just… Keep the kids inside for a while, okay?”

“WeiWei ‘ave ya seen this place? Dey’ll be sick ‘fore the week’s out. Who ken even say if they’ll get who’eva’s doin’ this? Naht ta mention, how the hells am ah gonna keep ‘em all fed if this drags on?”

“Sick’s better than dead.” WeiWei shrugs with a rueful smile. “Listen. I don’t know much but this is big, ya know? There’s even some trouble with the trade down south and the city lord has called in a big shot to come help.”

She raises her arms over her head and stands on her tiptoes for emphasis, all the while keeping a serious expression on her face even as she sways in place due to it.

“Main family Jin clan member big. Just keep them inside for a while, okay? Just a few weeks, I’ll try to help in whatever way I can.”

“Shit. Yeah, a’right.” Zhi replies, her brow already furrowing again and her mutters resuming. WeiWei smiles gently and makes her way out, waving to let Zhi know she’s leaving and getting a distracted wave back. Tiptoeing down the stairs she makes sure to raise the hem of her robe so it doesn’t get dirty. In truth she isn’t supposed to be out here. Much like what she’d advised Zhi to do the Pavillion had gone on lockdown, keeping all employees either inside or escorting them from their own homes to the workplace and back.

Sneaking out had been a pain with all the extra security but she knows she’ll do so again in a heartbeat should it be needed. WeiWei just wishes she could take Zhi with her but alas, she knows it’s impossible. Practical concerns aside she knows the rough looking delinquent would never leave the other kids behind, not even if it cost her life.

WeiWei feels almost sorry for her. She’s seen how much more attention Zhi pays to her stories when they just involve women. While she doubts the girl’s aware of her own interests WeiWei highly doubts she’ll have any children of her own despite how much she cares for them.

‘Oh well.’ WeiWei shrugs even as her smile drops. ‘It’s not like she’ll ever run out of orphans to take care of. Not in this city…’

 

Thank you for reading! Lilies and Dragons' second birthday is only a month and a half away! I'll be putting up a poll in 10 days to decide what to write for it, please let me know if you have any suggestions!

3