Chapter 15: Altercation
122 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*pant* *pant*

Adam was laying on the floor exhausted.

‘Even when using a mana stone, the physical body has its limits and it's important not to let the stones make you forget that.’ Adam remembered Noelani’s warnings about using the stones.

Adam had thought of taking out another mana stone but decided against it, Noelani warned about taking more than one mana stone a day, saying it would be too much for the body to handle.

Adam hasn’t heard of anyone taking more than one stone.

But a few days ago, he did try it.

He assumed it would be fine since he was exhausting his mana every day with the duplication.

However, Adam felt his body would explode from the inside the entire day. Luckily though, he used physical activity and duplication talent to reduce the pressure on his body.

Unfortunately, however, the mana could not be used if not “digested”, which meant he needed to heavily depend on his body’s exertion to keep the mana under control. Which was a difficult thing considering he was in the camp, and he had duties to keep attending to.

He decided to avoid taking two in one day.

Besides, another mana stone would, at best, only increase the recovery speed, he does not need that much if he slows down the pace of training.

*Knock* *Knock*

“Camp’s meeting is starting soon!” Adam heard someone knocking on his door and yelling a message before going off somewhere else.

Every now and then the camp would hold a meeting to discuss matters that pertain to the camp.

Adam sighed mentally, he really wishes he could ignore all the problems of the camp and focus on what he wanted to do.

Adam shook his head and waited a bit for his body to quickly recover, thanks to the added benefits from the mana stone, then stood up and left for the camp’s meeting.

Adam reached the meeting location, which is normally right outside of Noelani’s house.

After everyone waited for a while, Noelani began to speak.

“It seems everyone is here; I have gathered everyone here today to inform you about a new policy change.”

Everyone perked their ears up.

“From now on, we will now have professions, in other words, instead of forcing people to rotate between tasks, someone who is proficient at a certain task can stick to it.” Noelani declared.

Hearing this, Adam was relieved that it’s not something troublesome like a tax hike. But this makes sense considering a lot of tools he uses were not made by himself, anything he tried making on his own could be described as abstract art if being generous with the description.

It makes sense to leave these tasks to the people who are good at them.

“Also, we will limit the number of teams that can hunt. To focus on making a purified water stream that can be used for bathing and cleaning.” Noelani continued.

Some of the people smiled after hearing what was said, no one has taken a bath since being here, the only water pool is used for drinking.

‘*sigh* spoke too soon.’ Adam knew what was going to happen next and so he thought sarcastically.

“What?! Do you think you can control us however you like? You’re power hungry!” It was Fabian who yelled in opposition. Both Adam and Fabian knew that their team won’t be allowed to go hunting and be placed at building the water stream which will delay or even prevent the dungeon hunt.

“It’s best for everyone,” Noelani said.

“There are very few corrupted shadows that can be found as of late. So, there is no point to have more teams that will cause more disputes outside. Besides, it won’t last longer than a week.”

“That’s ridiculous! I have been putting up with your overbearing rules for long enough. You can’t just decide things on your own. I would have completely cleared all the corrupted shadows by now, if not for the damn rotations!” Fabian voiced his complaints.

“That’s the point! If we did not have rotations then all you guys would hog the stones, while us women, the old, and children would not get any of it! We all want them!” It was Simone, one of Noelani’s confidants, who replied.

“How is that my problem! Besides, your team is the ones who take most of the stones through taxes! And look at what you waisted it on!” Fabian pointed at the wall that was surrounding the camp.

“What’s the point of the wall?! The corrupted shadows can’t enter the dome let alone touch the wall! Now you want to spend more time and resources on a water stream?! How is this important for survival?!”

“Enough! I have said that the wall is for any possible threat that can pass through the dome! Plus, all the taxes are used on the innate orbs of the camp, something that everyone benefits from!” Noelani said.

“Let’s all take a step back.” This time it was Gideon who exclaimed trying to calm the situation.

“We can take a vote so that everyone can have a say.” Gideon continued.

“Hmph! I’m fine with it as long as she would agree.” Fabian said about Noelani.

Noelani looked at the camp members that gathered, she saw that what Fabian has said had resonated with some people, but she smirked.

“Okay,” Noelani said.

Adam looked at the contention between Noelani, Fabian, and Gideon. It was the disagreements between the three factions in the camp and a source of constant bickering.

There is not a clear dividing line between the three factions, it’s more than some camp members would lean more towards a particular way of thinking than the other two.

But Fabian's ideology is more of survival of the fittest, while Noelani is more of pooling resources to a central figure who would figure things out and lead the group, it’s just that person is herself obviously.

But aside from Fabian and Noelani, Gideon has slowly built a faction by advocating for a more democratic situation in the camp, unlike Noelani who usually wants things to go her way.

Gideon even argued to allow people who wanted to leave Noelani’s orb subordination, but she obviously ignored it.

Adam would have tried to be on Gideon’s team, even now, if not for the freedom he has in Fabian’s team and the promise of a dungeon hunt.

But optimally, Adam would want to leave all this drama and bickering aside, to focus on the things he wanted to do.

“Alright everyone, please raise your hands if you want to start the water stream project,” Gideon said.

Many started to raise their hands.

Gideon nodded and began to count.

Fabian, on the other hand, had a frown on his face, there were too many that raised their hands, much more than he thought.

He had a realization at that moment, he experienced eating the mana stones and could not have enough of them. He needs them to keep enhancing his power, currently used for his exercises, and powering his personal innate orb.

It’s just that, many have not used many stones yet and don’t crave it as much as he does, nor do they have their own personal innate orb.

This means most won’t care as much about having fewer total stones in the camp. It’s especially also since most did not worry about the innate orb’s power unlike himself and his team.

“Damn it!” He said through gritted teeth, but then jolted and grabbed his stomach.

‘Calm down, I need to calm down.’ Fabian told himself mentally.

“The motion passes!” Gideon said.

“So, Fabian? It seems people are not fond of your ideas on hygiene.” Noelani said mockingly.

Hearing this, Fabian, who was becoming more and more short-tempered because of his body’s transformation, could not control himself anymore and lunged at Noelani.

He was not carrying any weapon on himself but was stretching his hand out to catch her.

Before anyone could react, Noelani pulled a knife and stabbed it towards Fabian’s face, as if being prepared for this action.

Fabian felt a sense of danger which brought his lucidity back, fearing for his life, he quickly tried blocking the knife with his arms.

However, a strange thing occurred.

*Scratch*

Both Noelani and Fabian stepped back.

Everyone was shocked at what they saw, especially Fabian.

He looked at his dark grayish right arm where there was a white scratch on it where the knife cut.

Everyone is aware of the sharpness the stone knives possess, it’s just impossible for human skin to not be cut by it and Noelani was stabbing with full force.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” Noelani’s team went to her side and surrounded Fabian while keeping their distance from him, everyone was still shocked by what just happened.

“YOU TRIED TO KILL ME!” Fabian yelled with all he had, he was about to lose his mind and charge at her again if not for the fear of death he just felt.

“Not really, it’s not easy to kill a monster like you,” Noelani replied and putting an emphasis on the word monster.

“That’s enough! We should be working and not killing each other. Fabian, here, consider it an apology for just now.” Gideon interceded and threw a bag he was carrying to Fabian.

Fabian took it and looked inside, there were a few mana stones which was still useful for him and his innate orb.

Fabian looked at Noelani for a moment then turned around and left, no one dared stop him.

“Gideon! Why did you give him your mana stones?” Gideon’s team members asked.

“It’s worth it, as long as things can calm down.” He replied then looked at Noelani.

“You want to say something?” Noelani looked at him with a cold look.

*sigh*

Gideon knew it was pointless to argue with her, he turned around and left.

Noelani looked at him leave.

‘Darn! If only Gideon did not interfere.’ She thought with a frown.

5