Chapter 16
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of voices and Esmelle's laughter could be heard as Sabine and Bane approached the kitchen. It immediately put a smile on her face, and she entered the room to find Esmelle sitting at the table with Dax and Javyn. Blossom was perched on the table in front of one of the largest honey cakes Sabine had ever seen. The look of complete rapture on the pixie's face was comical.

"You're going to get her sick," Sabine warned, trying to suppress a laugh.

"I won't get sick," Blossom said with her cheeks bulging. Although, it sounded more like, "Ah wah geh 'ick."

Esmelle laughed again. "Sabine's right. You really should consider taking either smaller bites or slowing down. Martha said that cake was meant to feed your whole family."

Blossom swallowed and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "Nope. They don't get cake. They were too scared of the demons to tell Sabine the truth. It's my cake now."

Sabine shook her head and walked over to the counter. Picking up a small saucer, she filled it with water and brought it over to the table for the pixie. "Pace yourself, Blossom. You can eat your fill and still have enough to take some to your family and the new pixie clan."

"Tried to pick flowers. Wrong moon. They don't get cake either," Blossom said and broke off another chunk of the honey cake. She dunked it into the water and shoved it into her mouth. Her cheeks bulged at the oversized bite again, and she started chewing.

Sabine sighed. It looked like she was going to have to deal with a sick pixie.

Dax grinned. "If the pixie's too sick to fly, I'm keeping her. I have an ale that will go quite nicely with the tart taste of pixies."

Blossom's eyes widened. She squeaked, causing cake crumbs to fly out of her mouth and over the table. She dove into Sabine's hair and up against her neck, trembling in fear.

"You're not eating Blossom," Sabine said as Blossom hugged her neck. "And you, Blossom, had better not be getting crumbs in my hair."

"Ahm nah," Blossom said, which Sabine guessed meant, "I'm not."

She rolled her eyes, not believing that for a minute.

Esmelle laughed again and leaned forward, tearing off a piece of the honey cake for herself. "Dax and I were taking bets over whether you and Bane would come out here together. Looks like I lost."

Dax leaned back in his chair, his expression smug. "Want to know what I won, Sabine?"

"Nope. I've had enough experience with your bets that I don't want to know the answer." She pointed at Esmelle. "You should know better too. Dax doesn't bet on anything unless he knows he's going to win."

Javyn chuckled. "She knows you well."

Dax grinned and took another sip of his ale. Bane walked around the table and toward the window, staring out into the waning sunlight. Sabine frowned and approached him, curious about what had caught his attention. He tensed, grabbed her arm, and hauled her backward.

"City guards," he said quietly, jerking his head toward the window. "A lot of them. A few mercenaries too, based on their clothing. They're surrounding the tavern."

Without a word, Dax leapt across the table and peered out the window. "They're not any of mine. It's that damned councilman. I don't like the timing of this. They're hitting us right before the tavern is about to open for regular business."

Javyn's hand flew to the sword strapped to his waist. "Orders?"

Without turning, Dax said, "Bane, escort Sabine and Esmelle to the tunnels. I want them out of here. Javyn, clear the upper floors of the tavern. Tell Martha and Henry we've got company. They know what to do."

Javyn turned, his boots silent as he ran from the room.

Sabine frowned at Dax. He usually slept during the day in his room below the tavern. If they were doing this now, the councilman must have another mole inside Dax's organization. "Martha and Henry won't be able to stall them for long, Dax. If they're here during daylight hours and before your men arrive, they must know you're here without your usual support. I can seal the stairwell behind us, preventing them from searching it."

"Do it." Dax waved her toward the door. "Get her out of here, Bane. Quickly. It looks like they're almost in position."

Bane grabbed her arm, but she jerked away from him and snapped, "I am not sealing the stairwell without you behind it, Dax. The councilman is working with a magic user strong enough to create a lich ward."

Dax muttered a curse under his breath and stepped away from the window. "Fine. Let's go. We need to grab Balkin too."

Sabine nodded and ran back down the hallway toward the war room. Balkin and Malek looked up the moment she pushed open the door. Balkin's hand immediately flew to his weapon. He glanced over at Dax and ordered, "Report."

"At least six squads of city guards are moving into position around the tavern. We're leaving. Sabine will seal the tunnel to the stairway as soon as we're out. Javyn's evacuating the upper floors and taking everyone out through the secondary tunnels."

While Dax explained the plan, Sabine darted over to the table. Malek started gathering his papers and putting them back in the box. She grabbed the bag and snatched up the chalice, intending to dump it inside. Magic coiled around her arms and her skin began to glow. She hissed as her glamour began to falter, flashing her thorned tattoos. They didn't have time for this.

"Mistress?" Balkin questioned, taking a step toward her.

She ignored him, busy concentrating on the chalice and the layers of magic encircling it. Belatedly, she realized she should have used the bag to pick it up. The lich ward was gone, but the distant sound of drums pounded in her ears. Turning the chalice in her hands, the glow of the flames from the candlelight caught the facets of the gems embedded on the surface, almost hypnotizing her as the power moved across her skin.

A sudden realization hit her, staggering her in shock. The chalice wanted to be used. It was sentient, aware of the approaching danger. It had claimed her as worthy of possessing it. If she needed help defending her friends, the chalice offered its assistance. But like most Fae magic, this wasn't a gift. It demanded a sacrifice, a binding of sorts, for it to be hers. She swallowed, unable to tear her eyes away from it.

"Sabine?" Malek asked, approaching her quietly. "Can you release it?"

Daughter. Accept this gift. You will be blessed.

"It knows me," she whispered, shocked to her core at the familiar voice. Dimly, she was aware she'd spoken in Fae, the same language it had used when speaking to her. The chalice warmed in her hand, but it didn't burn her. Its magical tendrils continued moving upward along her skin, exploring and tasting her magic. She closed her eyes, falling into the magic and exploring it in the same way it was doing to her.

Peace, unlike anything she'd known outside of Faerie, filled her as the remaining vestiges of her glamour fall away. A sacrifice was due. A demand for recognition of her magic and blood. Reaching down, she withdrew her knife and sliced open her palm. Blood, heady with the scent of her magic, welled to the surface and dripped from the wound. Her hand pressed over the top of the chalice, allowing the dark red liquid to spill into it.

Power infused her words as she spoke the oath whispered to her by the chalice. "I claim you, by blood and magic. In tribute to the gods and the last sacrifice of the goddess Lachlina, I swear by all I am and the last of the magic of this world to uphold my family's oath in defense from those who would see this world destroyed."

The chalice began to glow brighter and sharper until it became nearly blinding. It lifted from her hand, hovering in the air overhead, heating her blood within it. The sound of drums pounded in her temples, beating a staccato rhythm in time with her heartbeat.

As I will it, the pact is sealed.

Light and magic exploded from the chalice, dropping Sabine to her knees. Her knife clattered to the ground, and she took a staggered breath as the power of the chalice settled over her like a thick blanket. It raced up her arms and down the rest of her body, the marks on her arms glowing and pulsing in time with her heartbeat and the drums. She lowered her head, her partially unbound silvered hair falling over her face.

Pain. Liquid fire. It seared over her skin, forming a new mark. An image of the chalice seared into the flesh on the inside of her wrist, glowing in the same way of her existing marks. She gritted her teeth from the pain, accepting this binding and the power it represented. Memories, sharp and bitter, flooded her mind as the hours of the Elders' markings became alive again. It was as though the magic of the chalice was using those years of pain to solidify this binding.

When it finished, only the faint pulse of the new mark on her skin remained. Sabine took a shaky breath and lifted her gaze to stare at the chalice now resting at the edge of the table. It was only a symbol, a vessel designed to contain the source of power capable of sealing the portal closed. The magic of the chalice was now part of her, as evidenced by the new mark on her skin. Even if she was no longer touching it, she could draw upon its strength. For all intents and purposes, she was now the chalice.

Picking up her fallen weapon, she slid it back in its sheath and pushed herself up from the ground. Her wound was healed. The blood that had coated the inside of the chalice was also gone, consumed by the magic of the ancient artifact. She picked up the chalice, staring at it in wonder. The mark on her wrist pulsed once, and the chalice warmed in her hand before it cooled again. It had gifted her with some unknown form of magic, but it now lay dormant in her hands. The chalice was still sentient, but it would be patient to wait until she was willing to use it.

She slid it into the velvet bag and then turned, staring at the room in shock. Whatever magic had been unleashed had rolled the entire room, and everyone was struggling to shake off the effects. Even Malek had collapsed to the ground and was shaking his head as though in a daze. Blossom flew out from underneath the table, her eyes wide.

"The goddess told me you're going to restore the balance!"

Sabine frowned at the pixie and tied the bag containing the chalice to her belt. Before she could respond, a loud crash sounded somewhere close. "Quickly, we need to get out of here. They're almost here."

Leaning down, she gripped Balkin's clawed hand and pulled him to his feet. He blinked his golden eyes at her and immediately turned to Esmelle, helping her get to her feet.

Sabine dropped down beside Malek. "Can you stand?"

He nodded and pushed up from the ground, glancing down at the bag containing the chalice. "Are you all right? What did it do to you?"

"Nothing that wasn't required," she said, turning to help Bane while Balkin assisted Dax.

"Your glamour," Bane managed, shaking off the worst of the effects.

She glanced down at her skin glowing with power and the thorned tattoos winding up her arms. Focusing inwardly, she fumbled, trying to reapply her glamour, but it slid away before she could pin it in place.

"The goddess doesn't think you need to hide anymore," Blossom said, fluttering in front of her.

Sabine scowled with impatience and snapped, "With respect to the goddess, she doesn't know the Wild Hunt is searching for me and wants me dead, nor does she know we have enemies approaching. I cannot risk being recognized here."

At her words, her glamour settled across her skin and fixed itself in place.

Blossom shrugged. "She says you can kill them. They're human. They don't belong in our world."

"I will not kill the humans," Sabine said, picking up the potted plant of lavender Esme had dropped. "I've been tasked with protecting this world, and they've become part of it."

"I don't think she likes that, but she will trust your judgment," Blossom said and waited until Sabine pushed open the door.

Sabine ignored the pixie and everyone else, placing the potted plant on the floor in the hallway. She'd initially planned to seal the entry to the stairs, but she wasn't sure what else Dax had hidden on this level. Turning toward Esmelle who had followed her, she asked, "Are you strong enough to combine magic with me?"

Esmelle nodded and held out her hand. Sabine took it and accepted the nature magic Esmelle sent toward her. Infusing it with her power, Sabine grew the lavender plant until the size had overshadowed the entire hallway. She could have done it on her own, but the chalice had left her somewhat shaken. Releasing Esme's hand, she withdrew her knife, cut her fingertip, and squeezed a drop of her blood onto the plant.

"Crescero," she whispered, and the plant shimmered. It solidified, becoming more substantial, and took on the appearance of a stone wall. She cut into another finger and etched a locking rune into the wall. It flared with a greenish light and dimmed as the magic settled into place.

"To me," she ordered Blossom, and the pixie dove into her hair again. Balkin nodded at her and took up the rear as she followed Dax down the hallway. They descended the stairs, and she turned as the door closed behind them. Sabine repeated the action she'd taken upstairs, cutting into her finger and tracing another rune into the door. It flared with a red glow, sealing it with a death curse, and Sabine turned away. No one except those who knew the appropriate rune could pass this doorway. Only a handful of people, including Javyn, could open it.

"You stole the moon again," Blossom whispered in her ear. "Should we tell Balkin?"

Sabine stumbled, her hand hitting the wall as she caught herself before she fell. "What? The sun hasn't set yet. There's no moon."

Blossom giggled as though she'd said something incredibly funny. "The moon is always there. You just can't see it. But you stole the moon when you accepted the chalice."

Balkin frowned at her. "What's wrong?"

"The moon," she whispered, suddenly terrified about what this meant. "Blossom said it disappeared when I claimed the chalice. I didn't realize—"

Balkin muttered a curse, his hand flying to his weapon. "The Wild Hunt comes."

Malek's gaze flew to her and then settled on Blossom. "Are you sure?"

Blossom nodded. "Sabine called it down with blood and magic. Her magic likes the moon. It obeys her."

"Balkin," Sabine whispered, fear stealing her strength.

He grabbed her arm and pulled her down the tunnel. "Focus, my kitten. The battle is not lost yet. As long as you are alive, we keep fighting. Now move."

Power infused his last words, and she nodded. Pushing aside her fear, she ran down the tunnel toward the sewers and closer to their escape. She'd originally planned to take them to the crypts, but that was no longer an option. If she'd managed to alert the Wild Hunt to her location, she wasn't about to bring danger upon the children she'd spent the last several years protecting.

Nowhere in the city would be completely safe, but they needed to go somewhere. Esmelle's shop was out. The crypt wasn't an option.

"Take us to my building on the south end of town," Bane said behind her.

She nodded. They could hole up in Bane's lair temporarily, but he was being targeted too. The stolen ledger she'd found in Terrance's home had been proof of that. Still, it was their best option until they figured out an alternative. Bane's men were used to dealing in death.

At the entrance to the sewers, Sabine stopped and faced the stone wall. Her knife was still in her hand, and she used it to cut another finger. Using her blood, she traced another rune in the wall and pushed her magic outward. The rune began to glow red and the wall shifted, disappearing from sight. She motioned for everyone to follow her.

"Walk in my footsteps," she ordered, sending some of her magic into the floor and causing it to glow beneath her steps to light their path. The magic was temporary, no more than a small amount of illumination to guide her companions.

She felt more than heard the door seal shut behind Balkin after everyone had passed through. The magic that guided her wasn't something she'd ever been able to fully explain. It wasn't her power, but rather the magic of the gods who had been the founders of this city. She was moving all of them through space and time, somewhere outside the normal realm that couldn't be accessed by any mundane means. Unfortunately, they couldn't linger. If they stopped, they risked being trapped here forever.

Only Bane had ever been able to move within this space, but only through the mark she'd gifted him. It was part of the magic of the gods before they'd been exiled. Discovering the secrets of the city had been an accident, but she'd quickly realized the potential benefits and decided to use it for her own purposes.

Sabine paused outside another wall, some innate part of her knowing this was the correct location. It had taken more than a year to teach Bane how to listen to the whispers of the darkness so he could navigate these passages. Toby had picked it up within weeks. She'd assigned him the task of gatekeeper, a job he was intensely proud to hold. Toby kept watch in the temple area and behind the burial stones, guiding the newer children into the safety of the crypts. She suspected he'd been able to learn it so easily because she'd given much of her own magic when she'd saved his life more than a year ago.

Sabine cut into another finger, recognizing she would need to rest soon. The power required to move this many people through space and time was quickly wearing upon her. If the Wild Hunt was approaching, she needed to conserve her strength, but she needed to get everyone to safety first.

Tracing another rune into the wall, the wall shimmered and fell away. Sabine entered a room with stone walls, recognizing they were once again back within the confines of Akros's reality. She leaned against the wall, trying to catch her breath as everyone filed through. The wall closed behind Balkin, but it was Malek who turned to her first and asked, "You're performing major magic again. Are you all right?"

"Just tired, but I'll recover soon enough." She pushed away from the wall.

Bane had taken the lead, recognizing the basement as part of the building he owned. He ran up the stairs with everyone following behind him. Balkin held out his hand toward her, and she accepted the strength he offered, infusing some of his power with hers. The magic of the Beastpeople was complementary, especially when they were sworn to serve a particular family. Sabine gave him a nod to indicate it was enough. He released her hand, waiting for her to head up the stairs.

Bane shouted orders to Evo and some of his men, who were busy equipping weapons and planning how they'd eliminate the city guards surrounding the tavern. Sabine walked into the large dining hall and slumped down in a chair, taking the opportunity to catch her breath.

Blossom scooted close to her ear and said, "The goddess says the city is on fire."

"What?" she managed, pushing herself back out of the chair. Sabine rushed toward the window and gasped. The sky had prematurely darkened to the deepest clutches of night, with neither the moon nor the sun anywhere in sight. Magic prickled along her skin, warning the darkness consuming the city wasn't natural in design. A golden glow rose from some distant part of the city, in the direction of the tavern.

"No," she whispered, pressing her palm against the window.

Malek approached her. "What is it?"

"The city's on fire. I don't... I'm not sure..." Sabine swallowed, uncertain and confused. The magic she'd sensed couldn't be from that glow. Could it? Turning to the pixie, she asked, "Blossom? Did the goddess tell you who is burning the city?"

Malek's gaze sharpened on Blossom. "Pixies can speak to the gods?"

Blossom ignored him and fluttered out of her hair to stare out the window. "She says it's the humans. But the Wild Hunt comes too. She can help you kill the humans, but she doesn't have enough stored magic yet to destroy the Hunt."

Sabine frowned. This goddess was a little too eager to kill off the humans. Lachlina was the goddess who had betrayed the other gods to provide information on how to close the portal. If her essence had been trapped within the chalice for centuries and then buried in the catacombs, she probably didn't realize how much the world had changed. That would be something to consider later.

Esmelle's face paled as she watched the golden glow. "They set the tavern on fire to flush everyone out, but the buildings there are too close together. Those idiots are going to destroy the city."

"Probably," Dax agreed, staring out the window with barely restrained fury. "If the tavern goes, the entire neighborhood will go with it. I've got enough magical objects in my vault to level that entire part of the city."

"My shop," Esmelle whispered, horror on her face.

Sabine swallowed. "Blossom, you need to get to your family and tell them to escape. They're too close to the flames."

Blossom landed on her shoulder and leaned against her. "It's okay. They know. The goddess said she'll tell Barley. He'll get the pixies out of the city. They'll be okay. I'm supposed to stay with you. The Hunt is searching for you."

She barely managed to nod, turning to look at Malek whose expression had hardened as he stared at the flames on the horizon. "The fire is in the direction of the docks. If the wind shifts, it'll catch the entire wharf."

"You should warn your crew and move your ship," Sabine said, searching the skies for any signs of the Wild Hunt.

Malek shook his head. "I'm not leaving you. If you come with me, I can get you and your friends safely out of the city."

"What?"

He captured her hand and squeezed it. "Come with me, Sabine. I can protect you and help mask your presence from the Wild Hunt. At the very least, I can give you space to decide your next move. You can't stay here if they're hunting you."

Pulling away from him, she shook her head. Dax moved between them and glared at Malek. "Back off, dragon. She's not yours."

"Nor is she yours," Malek said, his eyes narrowing on Dax.

Dax's eyes turned silver, and Malek's hand reached up to grasp the medallion around his neck. With a hard pull, Malek yanked it off and dragon power flooded the room. Sabine gasped, backing away from both of them. The power output of both men clashed as a sharp mixture of sulfur and burning embers filled the air. The Beastman moved protectively in front of her, claws extended and crouching in a battle stance.

"Seriously?" Esmelle snapped, glaring at all of them. "You're going to pull this nonsense now? We're under siege here. Pull your heads out of your asses and focus, people. We don't need to be fighting amongst ourselves."

A hysterical laugh bubbled out of Sabine, and she clamped a hand over her mouth. The Wild Hunt was approaching, the city was on fire, and a demon and a dragon were facing each other down and trying to claim her for themselves. And a witch—a human—was the only one with a shred of common sense among them.

"Esme's right," Sabine managed, throwing a grateful look toward her friend. "We don't have time for this. Bane's people might be able to take out the city guards, but they can't stop the Wild Hunt and the city is still on fire. Whatever we're going to do, we need to figure it out soon."

"Dax'than Versed, son of Kal'thorz," Balkin said, his voice infused with power, "I call your life debt due."

Dax's silver eyes turned to Balkin. The demon dropped to his knees in front of Balkin and lowered his head. "It will be done."

Fear, cold and insidious, slithered across Sabine's skin. If Balkin was calling Dax's debt due, that meant Dax was preparing to sacrifice himself. "Balkin, no. You can't do this. I never agreed to this."

Balkin's jaw clenched, and he didn't respond. Dax rose to his feet, his eyes still silver, and he stalked toward her. Without a word, he yanked her close and pressed his lips against hers. She tried to struggle, but the demon held her tightly, siphoning off her Unseelie magic through the debt marker Balkin had accepted when she was born. The connection between the Beastman and Sabine flared to life as magic rushed outward through it and into Dax. Balkin was the bridge connecting them, and he was stealing part of her essence.

Malek rushed toward them, but Balkin hauled him backward and whispered something she couldn't hear.

Tears streamed down her cheeks, blinding her. Sabine's hands clawed at the demon, trying to scratch or touch any part of Dax's skin to blast him with her magic. He took everything she threw at him, stealing it for himself and bundling her raw power with his. With Balkin's connection active, she couldn't harm him. Panic, potent and staggering, filled her as she continued to fight him, desperate not to give in.

She reached downward, fumbling for her weapon, but someone yanked it out of her grasp before she could use it. Her mind screamed, knowing what they were trying to do. This shouldn't be possible. Magic was supposed to be a gift. But this had always been part of Balkin's plan, a last resort if his attempts at hiding her should ever fail.

After what felt like an eternity, Dax pulled away, swaying from the rush of her power that now filled him. Dizziness swept over her and darkness crept into the corners of her vision. She felt... empty. The chalice at her waist warmed and pulsed in time with the new mark it had placed on her wrist. The worst of the effects passed, stabilizing her. She'd been weakened. Significantly.

Sabine trembled, her teeth chattering as she stared up at Dax. She'd never begged him for anything, but she was willing to do so now. "Please, Dax. Don't do this. I don't want to lose you."

He pressed his forehead against hers and murmured, "This has always been the plan. Did you think it was a coincidence I swore to serve you through Balkin? I would have died years ago if it hadn't been for this pact. You allowed me a chance to live."

She reached up to cup his face. "This isn't your sacrifice to make. Give me back my magic, Dax. I know you don't want to die. It doesn't have to be like this."

"Dax, you must go now," Balkin said, his voice colder than she'd heard in a long time. "The magic won't fool them for long."

Dax gave him a curt nod and pressed a brief kiss against her lips. He winked at her and said, "If I live through this, I'm locking you in my room for a week."

"Dax!" she yelled, reaching for him as he pulled away.

Bane appeared suddenly. He wrapped his arm around her and hauled her against him. Nuzzling her neck, he said, "Calm yourself, Sabine. This must be done."

She shook her head, blinking back tears as Esmelle approached Dax. The sharp and aromatic scent of crushed herbs filled the room, the telltale sign of nature magic at work. Esmelle waved her hands, and Dax's image flickered and shifted, changing the demon's appearance to one almost identical to Sabine's. This was the reason Esmelle had helped craft her human illusion. It wasn't just so Sabine could hide amongst the humans. It was also so the witch could determine how to replicate it.

"Esme, please," she begged. "Don't do this."

Esmelle squeezed her eyes shut. "I'm sorry, Sabine. We all knew this would happen one day, and we prepared for this eventuality. We couldn't risk telling you. We knew you would never agree."

Sparing her one last glance, Dax drew his weapons and ran from the room, a mirrored image of her human form. A choked sob broke out of her, and she slumped against Bane. His arms tightened around her in reassurance and to restrain her.

Balkin turned to Malek. "You made a blood oath to protect Sabine from harm. The final part is yours."

Malek hesitated. He held her gaze, searching her expression. "Sabine, I'm—"

"No," she whispered, knowing what was coming and the real reason Balkin had wanted to speak with Malek alone. "You don't owe Balkin anything. There is no debt between you two. There is no gift he can offer that's greater than what I can provide."

Balkin's expression became thunderous. She ignored him, focused on the dragon who had intrigued her from the first moment they'd met.

"The chalice is fused to me and my will, Malek. If you try to take my Seelie magic through my mark, I will never help you find the remaining artifacts. I swear, by blood and magic, I will spend the rest of my life doing everything within my power to end you and the rest of the dragons. Or I can be your ally. The choice is yours."

Dimly, she recalled the seer's warning. "A battle on stone streets. The moon fell into darkness. An ancient iron blade forged in dragonfire. Death. Plots within plots. A crossroads and a choice."

This must be the crossroads and choice Usagi had talked about. But it wasn't hers to make. It was Malek's decision whether to embrace her as friend or foe. The air in the room took on a strange weight as though even the universe held its breath while it awaited Malek's decision.

Malek froze, searching her expression for a long time. After what felt an eternity, he shook his head. "I refuse. I won't betray you nor will I force this upon you, Sabine. You have nothing to fear from me. I will be your ally, if you're willing."

Relief flooded through her. She nodded in acceptance of his vow. Of all the likely places to find a potential ally, a dragon was the only one able or willing to support her wishes and stand against the Beastman.

Balkin's jaw clenched as he approached her. Reaching out his hand, he cupped her face. "Almost a millennium ago, I swore an oath to protect your family—even from themselves. I will not be forsworn."

Sabine held Balkin's gaze and hissed, "Separare."

Balkin flinched and jerked his hand away from her as though burned. "Our bond is not so easily broken, my darling kitten. I will take your magic and protect you by force, if necessary."

Her heart clenched, knowing he would do what he promised. Balkin still harbored guilt for not being there to protect her mother, but no one could have predicted the depths of her father's treachery. It didn't matter what she said or did. Balkin was determined to save her, even at the expense of everyone she held dear. She wouldn't allow it.

Sabine closed her eyes, feeling the weight of the chalice at her side. Siphoning the power of the goddess into herself, she expelled it in a shocking blast, scattering everyone away from her. They collapsed, and she darted out of the room in the same direction Dax had gone. She had only seconds until they recovered and started hunting her.

She ran into what appeared to be a large gathering room. It was empty, with abandoned weapon containers and sharpening stones scattered everywhere. She could hear noises from downstairs, indicating everyone was already recovering from the magical blast. Sabine pushed open door after door, trying to find the exit. Only having been inside a few times when she'd visited Bane, Sabine didn't know the layout of the building.

After what seemed like an eternity, she located the exit and stumbled out onto the street. The sky was cloaked in inky darkness, the moon nowhere to be found. The streets were also empty, as though potential violence hung heavily in the air and acted as a deterrent for anyone considering walking the city streets.

Blossom landed on her shoulder. "I don't think that was a good idea, Sabine. Balkin's really mad."

Sabine didn't respond, too busy staring at the golden glow on the western side of the city. It was much larger than it had been, indicating the fire was spreading. Scanning the sky again, she caught sight of what appeared to be an approaching storm far off in the distance. It was little more than a flicker of silver amongst the clouds to the east and in the direction of Faerie. She inhaled sharply, recognizing it as wild magic. It was true. The Wild Hunt was stalking her once again, only this time, it would only be satisfied when she and the magic sustaining her was destroyed.

Pushing aside her fears, she ran toward the direction of the fire. Dax would have gone to help Bane's people protect his territory, trying to draw the Wild Hunt toward him in his magical illusion. She knew he intended to try to use the wild magic to take out some of the city guards and mercenaries threatening his people. Dax had always been practical when it came to killing his enemies.

Abandoning all pretense of being human, Sabine leapt over a stone wall, using the momentum as a springboard to push herself up to the roof. Her foot landed awkwardly, but she ignored the sharp pain and continued running across the rooftops.

Blossom had fluttered off her shoulder at some point, but Sabine could sense the pixie's magic behind her. Jumping across the space between two buildings, Sabine slipped, forcing her body into a roll to prevent injury. Reaching outward, her fingers caught the edge of the roof before she fell over the side. Her breath caught in her throat, and she swung her leg back up and onto the roof.

The dark clouds of the Wild Hunt were approaching faster than she'd dreamed possible. Lightning flashed, and she could make out the faint outline of individual figures. Tentacles and hooves were visible for a split second before the darkness swallowed them again.

The seer's warning about the moon's disappearance came to mind. Sabine may have alerted the magic of Faerie when she tapped into the power of the chalice, but it was the Wild Hunt who was tapping into the power of the moon now.

The Wild Hunt was fueled by the magic of the darkness and moonlight—Unseelie power—the same kind Dax had stolen from her. But neither her brother nor her father could summon the Wild Hunt using Unseelie magic. It was a power they couldn't access, gifted to her through her mother's bloodline. They would be using Seelie magic, the same power that still filled her and that Dax had never been able to touch. That was the link the Wild Hunt was following, and she was still in full possession of her Seelie magic.

They were all fools, most of all Balkin. He'd forced Dax to steal her magic for no reason, and his miscalculation might actually get her killed.

Sabine inhaled sharply, using the momentum to push herself upright and run. This time, she ran back toward Bane's lair and everyone she'd left behind. Dax would be safe enough, provided he didn't do something stupid to get himself killed fighting the city guards. She wasn't too concerned. Fueled by her Unseelie magic, Dax would fight like a... well, like a demon. Sabine almost snorted, but she barely had enough air left in her lungs to breathe.

Jumping across another chasm, Sabine dropped to the next building and pushed up off the clay tiles. Part of her was surprised she was still upright. Normally, when Dax took her magic—

Sabine staggered to a full stop, almost collapsing as she tried to catch her breath. She should be much weaker with only half of her magic fueling her. The first time she'd touched the chalice, it had nearly stripped her magic to the point of almost killing her. This time, after losing most of her Unseelie power, she was still able to race across the rooftops.

Sabine rubbed the sharp pain in her side from running too hard, but it was a physical ailment, not a magical one. Lightning flashed in the distance, and thunder followed a few seconds later. Only this thunder had the same cadence as the hooves from Faerie mounts, the sound that heralded the Hunt's imminent arrival.

She shook her head, lowering her chin and running again. The chalice had done something to her. Either that, or it was Malek's dragonfire. Those were the only two explanations, but she didn't have time to evaluate. She had to get to—

A roar and a huge set of wings shot up from the ground in front of the rooftop she was on. Sabine stumbled in shock. She fell backward, sliding toward the edge of the roof. A scream ripped out of her, and she scrambled, trying to find purchase to stop her rapid descent. Hitting the edge of the roof, she started to fall, barely catching herself before tumbling to the ground. The momentum was enough to slam her against the adjacent wall, forcing a strangled cry from her throat.

A clawed hand wrapped around her wrist and hauled her onto the roof. She blinked up at Balkin, and the Beastman dropped down beside her. He wrapped her in his embrace, and she held on, burying her face against his pelt. Despite their differences, Balkin had always been there for her. Once again, he'd come to her rescue.

Huge wings flapped overhead and a streak of fire lit up the sky, offering either a warning or challenge. Sabine stared and shook her head in disbelief.

"Balkin," she whispered, part of her hoping she was dreaming.

He leaned back, scanning her up and down. "Are you unhurt, mistress?"

She opened her mouth and then closed it. A hysterical laugh bubbled out of her. "He really is a dragon. I almost slept with a dragon!"

Blossom landed on her shoulder. "I knew you were going to take him as a lover!"

Sabine jerked her head and frowned at the pixie. When Blossom grinned at her, she shook her head and looked up at the sky again. The Wild Hunt would be here any moment, and her Seelie magic was a beacon in the storm calling them toward her. Despite the approaching danger, it was next to impossible to tear her gaze away from the enormous creature from legend.

It was huge, its wingspan more expansive than the width of the tavern and Esmelle's shop combined. The dragon's skin appeared leathery, its darker colors blending against the night sky. It moved with an undeniable grace, flapping its wings as it soared above the city. Despite the fear the dragon evoked, Sabine had to admit the creature was beautiful. The dragon screamed, fire pouring forth from its throat and lighting up the sky.

Sabine shook her head. Malek must be trying to distract the Wild Hunt to try to protect her. She bit her lip, doubtful even a dragon as large and powerful as Malek could stand against wild Fae magic. She just hoped the sight of a dragon might help tip the battle near the tavern in Dax's favor. She doubted the city guards or mercenaries would stick around for long with the threat of a dragon hovering in the skies.

"You never should have asked Malek to steal my magic," Sabine said to Balkin. "The Wild Hunt won't confuse Malek's dragonfire with my power. I don't believe one dragon could ever stand against the Hunt, not even one as fearsome as Malek."

"No, but he will serve as a distraction. I'm assuming Bane told you some of my plans, despite my orders. You surprise me, Sabin'theoria. You somehow managed to bind two demons and a witch far better than I expected." Balkin continued staring overhead at Malek in dragon form as he soared over the city. "Now it appears my darling kitten has charmed a dragon—one who is trying to draw on your Seelie power through your mark and fuel it with his dragonfire."

She frowned and narrowed her eyes on the dragon. He could try to use her magic, but only trace amounts were able to slip through. "It won't be enough, and your suggestion may end up getting Malek killed."

Balkin patted her shoulder. "You will rule the Seelie and Unseelie as your mother planned, should you manage to harden your heart and grow sharper claws. Your mother would be pleased to know her machinations are finally bearing fruit."

"I'm not my mother," Sabine snapped. "I will not use and discard those I trust and consider friends. You never should have demanded such from them. Dax stole my Unseelie magic, but the Wild Hunt was summoned with Seelie magic. That's what it's using to track me."

"I know," he agreed with a sly grin. "Now your allies know the lengths you'll go to protect them, even at risk to yourself."

"You manipulative bastard," she whispered, staring at him in shock. "People are going to die because you're still playing politics."

Balkin's golden lion eyes began to glow with something akin to satisfaction. "Hold tight to that anger and allow it to strengthen your resolve, my darling kitten. If your mother had managed to bind her allies tighter through something other than just fear, perhaps she would have survived your father's treachery. I won't see the same happen to you, Sabin'theoria. You will live. And I'll see you combine both thrones to rule all of Faerie as you were meant to do."

Sabine stilled. A thousand retorts fluttered through her mind. Lightning flashed overhead and a hot raindrop splashed on her face. Sabine wiped it off, the dark-red color of fresh blood a sharp contrast against her pale, glowing skin. Sabine inhaled sharply, catching the scent of night-blooming flowers. It wasn't rain. It was her blood, or rather her family's blood. Her skin began to glow, and the tattoos entwining her arms pulsed with power to the rhythm of her heartbeat. Overhead, the lightning began flashing in the same pattern, faster and faster as her magic and blood called to the creatures of the dark.

It was true.

Her brother had summoned the Wild Hunt, using their shared blood and magic to unleash it. The last shred of hope about her brother's innocence shattered. He wanted her dead.

Balkin stared at the droplet, his mouth turning grim. "We are out of time. You must find an outlet for your Seelie magic. Go. Now."

Sabine turned and ran. The enormous dragon overhead roared, the sound piercing the night. Another streak of dragonfire lit up the sky, illuminating the creatures of nightmares that lurked in the darkness. It figured it was her Seelie magic, the magic of the light, that was now calling to the creatures of the dark. In Sabine's experience, the most terrible monsters weren't always the ones confined to the dark. Her only living family was proof of that.

Jumping across the rooftop, Sabine missed the edge and rolled again. This time, she caught herself before Balkin did, although she heard him a handful of steps behind her. Somewhere nearby and below her, she could feel Bane rapidly approaching. Dropping onto a balcony, she grabbed the edge of a trellis and slid to the ground.

The thundering in the air was almost deafening. It sounded as though some of the Faerie mounts had landed and were now racing through the city streets. Sabine ran toward the oldest section of the city. She was leading the Wild Hunt closer than she wanted to where the children were hiding in the crypt, but she didn't have a choice. There was only one possibility that might save everyone, and the rapidly approaching hooves warned she wouldn't have enough time to make it out of the city.

She ran down empty streets in the direction of the temple. The magic of the Wild Hunt was such that ordinary people, those not drawn into the violence of the night, obeyed the whispers of the darkness encouraging them to stay inside and hide. They were the same whispers a child hears in their nightmares—they were all part of the Wild Hunt.

Sabine turned a corner, spotting the temple ahead. Malek dove toward the temple and then upward, as though trying to steer the Hunt away from the children. Sabine blinked away the emotion gathering in her eyes. She'd sorely misjudged a dragon, believing the stories she'd grown up hearing. Malek was once again proving to her with actions and words who he truly was. She should have known better. She wasn't what people believed of the Fae either.

Leaping over the fence that led into the temple, she darted across the grass and toward the burial stones. Toby stood there, staring overhead with an expression of shock and petrifying terror. The Wild Hunt could easily steal someone's will if they weren't strong enough to stand against it. She would not allow him to die. Racing up to him, she wrapped her arm around him and yanked him against her body. Her shoulder slammed against the wall. Withdrawing her knife, she sliced the palm of her hand and hastily etched a rune.

The wall dissolved, and she shoved Toby inside, resealing the wall behind him with a death rune. The children knew how to deactivate it, but they'd know not to risk it until it was safe. Spinning around, the sight of some of Faerie's most fearsome creatures raced toward her. Horses, with coats the color of midnight and manes of fire, stampeded in her direction. The riders, with their billowing dark wings, whipped through the air as the specters of the night hunted her. Tentacles, silver and sinewy, peeked out from beneath their robes, tasting the air in search of her magic.

The horses and riders were equally beautiful and terrible, nearly cruel in their ability to beguile anyone who witnessed their awesome power. Few people ever survived laying their eyes on them, and this wasn't the first time she'd faced them down.

"Now, Sabin'theoria! Or all is lost!" Balkin shouted over the sound of their thundering hooves.

Sabine slapped her hand against the ground, the blood from the cut on her palm rushing to meet the rich soil. The magic of the gods lapped against her in this place of power, and she fortified her strength with it. Shoving her Seelie magic into the ground, she screamed as it poured out of her.

The ground trembled as seeds and plants sprouted to life and shot up to impossible heights. Flowers exploded in a kaleidoscope of colors, their heady perfume filling the air. The trees shot upward, turning their limbs toward her, reaching and stretching as though they were trying to touch the sun.

It still wasn't enough. Sabine cut her other hand and placed her palm against the ground. The Wild Hunt had slowed, but they still approached. Sabine closed her eyes, pouring everything she was into the earth. The soil accepted all of it, eager for what she offered. It had been far too long since the magic of the gods had touched this place, but it still recognized her. It was hungry.

When the last vestiges of her strength and magic left her, she slumped, falling onto the ground. Balkin swept her into his arms, racing away from the temple and the enormous forest she'd brought to life in the middle of the city. A thunderous blast filled the air as her forest caught on fire.

Sabine screamed.

Pain unlike anything she'd ever felt ripped through her as the Wild Hunt began destroying her creation and magic. The riders cut down the trees and plants, the fiery manes of the horses burning away any trace of the magic that had been used to fuel the forest's birth.

A hooded rider skidded to a halt in front of her and Balkin. His mount pranced in place, tossing its head angrily as the rider gripped the reins with skeletal hands. He turned his glowing red eyes upon her, the rider's physical appearance bearing more of a resemblance to the demons than to the Fae.

"He seeks the death of your magic."

The mental voice was like velvet, wrapping around her mind and exploring her essence. Sabine managed to take a jagged breath, the pain from the destruction of her forest making it difficult to focus. Balkin opened his mouth to speak, but she pressed her hand against his chest to stop him. This was more than a simple rider. The Huntsman was the spokesman for the Wild Hunt and the leader in charge of pursuing its quarry. She couldn't risk Balkin speaking for her this time.

She inclined her head in acknowledgment of his words, wishing she had the power to stand on her own. Balkin was still carrying her, his arms tightening uncomfortably around her. The Huntsman stared at her for a long time, not moving. Waiting.

The chalice at her side warmed, and the mark on her wrist flared. She inhaled sharply as the goddess's power flowed through her. It cradled the tiny embers of her Seelie and Unseelie magic that were nearly extinguished, wrapping them in a protective coating. Instinctively, Sabine knew the chalice was trying to hide her presence from the Wild Hunt so it might fulfill its pact without killing her. But the magic wouldn't last. She needed to run.

"Little goddess. We see you. The magic you offer shall be sacrificed, fulfilling our bargain with the young prince. We eagerly await the return of our one true queen."

With those words, the Huntsman bowed his head and withdrew from her mind. Large black wings erupted from the rider's back and his mount reared. Pushing up from the ground, the rider and mount raced toward the temple.

"Go. The chalice is trying to hide my remaining magic, but it won't last," she whispered to Balkin, and he took off, running down the street with her in his arms.

Balkin stopped in an alley and laid her on the ground. "Hurry. We have to get her out of here before her Seelie magic returns. She managed to buy us a few minutes, but our subterfuge won't last."

Sabine was dimly aware of Esmelle and Bane dropping to the ground beside her. Bane lifted each of her hands, his power wrapping around her and healing her wounds. Sabine whimpered, still feeling the life of the garden dying but unable to do anything to stop it. The pain in her hands was insignificant compared to the agony of her magic being destroyed. The Huntsman had agreed to exploit a loophole in the pact her brother had used to summon the Hunt. If she wasn't away before the forest was destroyed, all would be lost.

The scent of Esmelle's witchy magic tickled Sabine's nose as an illusion spell settled over her. It itched, but she was too tired and hurt to care overly much or protest. It wasn't glamour but some other form of hybrid magic that allowed witches to emulate Fae magic.

Esmelle patted her arm. "Huh. You look pretty good, Esme."

Sabine blinked at Esmelle and managed a half-hearted smile. "Yeah? I always wanted to try out red hair. Is it curly too?"

"Gorgeous," Esmelle said with a grin. "We need to dress you better in the future. You need more color."

Balkin leaned over her. "Good. It will have to be enough. Bane, take her to Malek's ship. The dragon will meet you there as soon as he changes form."

Bane lifted her into his arms, and Sabine looked around. "Wait. Where's Blossom?"

"I'm here," Blossom said, landing on her chest. Tears streamed down the pixie's cheeks. "They're killing your beautiful forest, Sabine. Your brother is killing your magic."

"I know," she whispered, unable to send any magic toward Blossom to reassure her. Pixies were highly sensitive to nature magic, and the destruction of hers would affect all of them.

"I must return to Faerie to protect your interests there, my darling kitten." Balkin pressed a kiss against her forehead. "I will find you as soon as it is safe to do so. In the meantime, Bane and Esmelle will join you on the dragon's ship."

"What about Dax?" she asked, not wanting to leave her other protector.

"He must remain here for now," Balkin said, a trace of an apology in his voice. "Your Unseelie magic will help him remain aboveground for a time, but I'm sure he will find you again at some point. Or you may seek him out once it's safe."

"Don't let him die, Balkin," she said, unable to even infuse her words with power. It came out as a weak request.

Balkin nodded. "I will ensure he lives this night. Now go. Don't squander our efforts to ensure your survival."

Without another word, Bane carried her toward the docks and the ship that was waiting. 

1