Chapter 19: Oak’s Secrets and Farewell
216 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nick had gotten to Pallet Town as fast as he could and started to force the door to the lab.

"I can't be discreet this time" Luckily for him there was only the Professor's assistant

"A thief!" The assistant noticed the R immediately

"Listen, if you don't want to get hurt, back off."

"Get out, I'll defend this place with my life!" The assistant took out a Kadabra.

(Couldn't be that easy, but that maniacal look on his face scares me a little) Nick chose Lisa

“Kadabra, light screen” he was ready to defend himself for the special side 

"Confused Ray" Nick was not going to play his game, he already had a plan.

"Vulpix" (I want good accessories, after this) At least he performed the move accurately while demanding

The barrier did nothing to prevent Kadabra from being affected.

"Tch, that doesn't stop Oak's Pokemon, Psychic." Kadabra seemed to take a moment to maximize his concentration.

"Maybe, but this yes, Disable" The fire type's eyes glowed red and Kadabra, who couldn't finish his attack, ended up injuring himself

"Kadabra!"

Wasting no time Nick switched to Rue.

“Crush” True to her battle instincts she moved closer, she imprisoned her opponent with her tail and began to damage him with the movement.

“Psycho Cut” It was the only other attack his Pokémon knew.

“Arbok” Despite being injured, Rue ignored the pain and finished striking down her opponent.

(I have to admit I was expecting more damage, or is it the move?) Nick didn't know yet, but Psycho Cut was a physical move, something the Kadabra lacked.

"It has not finished!" His next Pokémon was Magnemite.

Nick just smiled and pulled Lisa out again, who had a furious expression on seeing her rival.

"Vulpix!" (You won't ruin my beautiful fur!) Without any command, he performed Incinerate and critically hit the Electric-Steel-Type, who only survived thanks to his Sturdy ability.

"Uses…"

“Vul, Vulpix!” (No, you're not doing anything!” A kind of ghostly fire appeared and flew towards Magnemite who couldn't escape from it.

(Will-O-Wisp… I hope)

The burn ended with the assistant's second Pokémon

“Vulpix” (No one messes with such an elegant lady)

Nick just returned her to his sphere and let Maid out while his opponent chose a Weezing.

(I must play fast and avoid poisoning)

"Come closer with Aqua jet and then Icy Wind"

“Sludge Bomb”

Maid easily dodged the attack and hits the poison type before spraying him with an icy storm.

(This will do) Nick returned Maid and pulled out Fey.

“Air Slash and Surround It”

“Poison Gas!” The assistant seemed to lose what little calm he had

Fey masterfully avoided the purple smoke and wind waves from it hurting her slowed foe until he passed out.

“I will not allow you to take anything from here!”

Nick switched to Rey and the employee chose a Graveler.

(No luck this time) Nick wanted his Nidorino to fight this time, but he would have to switch to a better option.

"Come closer and self-destruct" his enemy had other plans

(Went crazy!?) The lab was spacious, but an explosion would be very dangerous

"Send him flying with a double kick" Luckily King seemed to sense the danger when the rock type started to glow and had already gotten closer.

"Nido?!" (Why do crazy people always touch me?!) He managed to push him away towards a wall before he exploded.

"Boom!"

The lab was a mess, many areas were ruined.

(I should have expected something like this, but I heard it's usually the bad guys who exploit the good guys)

Nick, a little shocked and hurt, looked around, the assistant and his Pokémon were out of action, as King was about to pass out.

"You must rest, I'll take you to a Pokémon center" King only smiled when the red light returned to his sphere.

Nick hopes that whatever Oak was doing was destroyed in the blast, but he noticed that near a wall, not far from the blast, was an entrance to a hallway that hadn't been there before.

"A secret entrance, why not? We have one and as if Oak wasn't shady enough." Nick stepped into the secret passageway.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

"When did my life become so ridiculous to this degree?" Nick wondered how he got here, the lunatic Oak not only had a gigantic hidden underground laboratory, there were Dittos on the loose throughout the facility, as well as killer robots with creepy designs.

"If I didn't have my Pokemons I would turn around, I really like living"

Deep in the base was what Nick was looking for, some sort of Masterball prototype along with a set of monitors.

“Will the plans be here?” He wasn't a computer whiz, however, he could still navigate one, luckily Oak was so confident that it was open.

“Red… as usual everywhere” Not finding the blueprints, but she satisfied his curiosity by clicking on the file.

“January 16, 19XX 2:30am: The Mewtwo project is destined to fail, but my colleagues refuse to see it; a clone of Mew, no matter how sophisticated, is bound to fail; It's time to start a new science project of your own, if you can't save Kanto, nothing can."

(This is not suspicious at all) Nick tried to relieve the tension of the environment, as his life was going, he could already have a vague idea of where the matter was going.

“February 14, 19XX 11:15pm: There is a fatal flaw in the underlying logic of Project Mewtwo, if genetic engineering allows us to create wonderful creations and extract the maximum potential, but focusing it on just one Pokémon, it is a waste”

(It wasn't enough for you, huh?)

“February 29, 19XX 9:42pm: The intelligence, discipline and leadership… traits of humans, a Pokémon is only as strong as its master.

(Mewtwo wouldn't agree... even Rue wouldn't agree) Nick couldn't simplify the Pokemons that much.

“March 11, 19XX 1:16am: A genetic clone, of a human boy, with unique qualities and unwavering, bred for Pokémon battles… cold and calculating, endowed with a strategic mind and taking his Pokémon to the limit… dispassionate, like a puppet master in the shadows”

(A real little angel, I couldn't make it sound worse) For Nick this explained a lot about that psychopath

"June 3, 19XX 9:45pm: Initial tests look promising... but I can't recreate a body that is old enough to fight, so that the clone looks human enough to fool the world... I will have to create my Pokémon master from the embryo and let nature take its course... a local widow, with no hope of having offspring and trust in me, will be happy to accept him as her son... he will need proper preparation and care, his childhood will be dedicated to imprinting the lesson that I am a trusted father figure and my word, for his own good, is law”

(…) Nick had no words for Oak's nerve.

“August 15, 19XX 7:21pm: The league challenge is a ray of hope for many young and naive trainers, even if only a few can stand out and fewer manage to become the Champion, luckily it is an easily exploitable system, as soon as my clone gets his license he will rank up fast... gym leaders, the elite, legendary pokemon, no one will be a match for him and thanks to his age, they won't see it coming.

(I can't deny that it has served his purpose) No one, to his knowledge, had defeated Red until now.

“September 2, 19XX 2:21am: Mewtwo escaped as I predicted, military resources are exhausted and we can no longer afford this war… I will have to give up my position as champion, Lance will happily take my place and the public will disown me, but they let me live... and ten years from now, I will wipe the smile from his face when my boy crushes him in a fair and legal Pokémon battle, that moment will enter and as a minor, the boy will gladly grant me his responsibilities and political decisions… being the only father figure to him, people will have no choice but to comply… Kanto, Johto, any region of the world!…we will have unprecedented power, who could stop us?… just ten years of public humiliation is a small price to pay for my revenge"

(This must be one of the most complicated and absurd plans for world domination) Nick could no longer consider Oak crazier, he exceeded his scale, luckily with this the log ends.

"What's next... Come on, I can handle anything! Some crazy person wants to summon the devil to eat the world or some fanatic wants to bring aliens to have them as a source of energy!" Nick let off steam to regain his composure and leave the building.

Just as he took a step outside, his Rocket device began to beep.

“As punctual as always”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Nick flew to Viridian City as fast as he could, however, he had to stop at the Pokémon Center to heal the team.

"It's late" he only managed to see how Red was walking away in his flying Pokémon while dawn was breaking.

(I hope Green can stop him... if not I'll have to) If Nick were to look at his tremors, he would notice that it was much less than in their previous encounters.

“No, Giovanni, please! I can't allow this!"

Nick turned to see Giovanni and Ariana arguing.

“…There's nothing I can say, let me be.” The boss was walking away when he saw Nick.

"Nick you arrived... we didn't even last long enough for everyone to arrive, I'm ashamed, I've been defeated in battle for the last time" his face denoted sadness and resignation.

“I can no longer face my followers… with the last bit of honor left to me… I must move on… I think it would be better if this was the end of Team Rocket in Kanto… but I don't expect everyone to accept it, so I allow them to keep the organization alive, but without me at the helm"

"Boss..." Nick didn't know what to say, he was a man who had completely failed in his goals in life, he wasn't a childhood dream like Ronnie's or he had time like Green, he just didn't have a way to move on.

At that moment Ariana reached them

"I-I... I don't understand this madness! All our work! All we fought for!... For a child?" You could see how hurt and disappointed she was.

“Yes, a child, Ariana… a child who will soon rule, and where are we?… We became the biggest gang in the underworld, but we are no closer to our goal than when we started”

(But he must have had a long-term plan… right?) Nick had only completed the missions he was given, he never asked what the big final plan was, he just assumed there was one after hearing Giovanni's story.

(Oak's genetic insanity aside, the plan to train a trainer to overthrow Lance was simple but effective.) Nick also considered breaking into the league building and subduing Lance's government, however, he only looked and wanted to be a subordinate.

"I thought I had a clear path to power...I lied to myself all along and it's time for me to go...Team Rocket won't rule Kanto...the fight, us, is over, I hope you find happiness" Giovanni adjusted his hat and raincoat to take a few steps.

"Thank you for your efficient service, Nick." Leaving those words he was lost in the city.

"No, come back your bastard!" The person who yelled was the red-haired boy Nick always bumped into, he had been hiding in a corner the whole time.

"Don't you dare run away!... Don't you dare..." He clenched his fists tightly to avoid shedding tears.

Nick just put a hand on his shoulder without saying anything.

"I hate it!" Accepting that he would not return, the boy ran away so they would not see him cry.

(Be strong, for Silver) Ariana finally reacted and went to look for her son.

Nick was left alone, processing what he would do now.

6