Chapter 29: Rise and Fall
156 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nick saw a crowd gathered at the league building

"Mr. Nick over here” Karin was waving at him, she and Erika had come to support him…followed by some gym workers.

"Good morning, I see that you managed to arrive" he replied politely

"We wouldn't miss it." Erika returned the greeting.

"The master would not be lost as her husband becomes champion" Karin had full confidence in Nick.

Erika blushed, she was still embarrassed to be reminded of that matter.

From afar, the gym workers only saw how they had a family atmosphere.

"I can't believe Erika really got married" No one in the gym got over the news

"I will never accept it!" The assistant did not confront Nick because the gardener was holding her

"Girls if she is happy we must respect it"

"If and when we find something to discredit him we can lynch him!"

The sponsor just sighed, that Erika was so loved sometimes it was a problem, once a trainer tried to touch her butt and the assistant broke her hand, luckily they avoided the lawsuit by not accusing him of sexual harassment.

“Your friends look lively”

"Yes, lately they have a lot of energy, let me introduce them, I'm sure they would love to meet you"

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Nick had slipped away with the excuse of registering, he couldn't stand the constant looks that Erika's friends gave him, at least they seemed to want to meet him because they asked him many questions

"You made it, huh?" Nick was looking at the report on the new champion Green

"It almost seems like Red hasn't arrived to destroy his dreams." Nick assumed he hadn't arrived yet.

"Hey, friend, long time no see" A boy with light green casual clothes and green hair spoke to him.

"Ronnie?" Nick didn't know anyone else with that hair color.

"You recognized me, I already had insults prepared if you didn't, anyway, let me tell you, it's been hard since Team Rocket... being a criminal and all that, I've tried some robberies, but it's not the same... what do you say?" 

Nick explains his goal to Ronnie.

“You have been busy as usual, I hope you can beat that son of a bitch, let me tell you we live in weird times, Lance lost, do you know who the new champion is?

“Yes, I have an idea”

“I'm not surprised friend, they haven't stopped mentioning it in the last few hours, I think the interview is soon.

At that moment Erika and Karin arrived

“Nick, I'm sorry if my friends made you uncomfortable, they were just excited to meet you.” Erika leaned in, she knew they were very overprotective.

"Don't worry, I understand" If someone as admired as Erika suddenly enters a relationship, it's normal for people close to her to worry

The leader just gave him a beautiful smile

"Nick, who is this cutie?" Ronnie wondered if Nick had changed girls again.

"You be respectful, this is the teacher Erika, gym leader of Celadon city and wife of Mr. Nick" Karin made the introduction.

"Friend, you got married and you didn't invite me to your wedding, where is the friendship?" Obviously Ronnie swallowed it without question

"N-Nick, who is this gentleman?" At some point she would get used to it

"I'm Ronnie, old friend of Nick, we were both the invincible duo"

"It doesn't look that strong" Karin said without mincing words

"Karin don't be rude!"

"I'll prove it to you, girl, I've taken care of many your size." Ronnie didn't know how pathetic he sounded.

"Enough, Ronnie..." The screens in the room turned up the volume for the special report, the interview with the new champion.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

"This is a historic day, ladies and gentlemen, the champion Lance fell in a Pokémon battle against a young challenger from Pallet Town, next, we will speak with our teenage champion" The room was full of reporters from various regions along with the current champion.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all, I'm Green from Pallet Town" Green was happy, how not to be happy was in the best moment of his life, he didn't think that even idiot Red could ruin it now.

“Haha, sorry, but this has been my dream for a while… it took a lot of effort, but it's finally here, I'm the strongest trainer in Kanto"

"Do you have any changes planned under your government, Mr. Green?" a reporter asked

"Many good things, of course, we are working on... A sports center for the use of bicycles, for those who avoid the bike path and do not want to break the law of not using bicycles inside their homes"

“What do you think of the Hoen government's recent moves?

“Er… well, there is no worrying about that, now we should focus on this moment, at least I can promise you that with me as champion there will be no more wars”

"Mr Green what about that other trainer from his town?, the one who is currently challenging the Elite Four, do you have any comments?"

"Yes, I know who that spit scoundrel is, he won't have a chance, let him come, you were very kind but duty calls" Green went to the living room to wait for Red.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

"Don't let your guard down Green, not with him." Nick must have guessed it, Red was close to challenging the champion.

"Do you know the current champion?" Karin was curious by the comment.

"Meet him, Nick beat him once." Ronnie bragged as if it was his achievement.

"Really?!" Karin's eyes sparkled.

"We had a meeting when a while ago, it was pretty close." Nick knew that Green was stronger now.

"Amazing"

"What's bothering you, Nick?" Erika noted her discomfort at the end of the interview.

"Must be the monster that will soon be champion." Even someone like Ronnie understands Red's strength.

"Monster? What does Nick mean?"

It was no secret and Nick told Erika about his experiences with Red.

"That's horrible!" Karin was disturbed.

“I'm sorry what you and Green have been through” Erika's heart ached thinking about that poor Rattata and how it must affect Nick, about Green's Raticate… she didn't even want to think about it.

"It's not your fault, we both found ways to get over it, this is my final test"

"You can beat that bad boy." To Karin, Red looked like villains from a children's story.

"Nick I haven't been able to ask you, where are Joy and the others?" Erika found it strange that they didn't arrive with him.

"They should be here any minute, they had some business to attend to" Nick preferred to spare her the worry, at that moment he heard a familiar voice nearby.

"So it's true... I can't believe it" he was an easily recognizable old man and the cause of most of the current troubles

(What will you do now Oak?)

"Green?... this is not possible" Oak approached the entrance of the challenge

"Guard, I am the champion's grandfather and I demand to see you immediately, this is an urgent matter!"

When he saw the teacher walk in, he knew it was time to take his turn.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Nick had no problems with the first of the elite four, he just found it curious that the fighting-type specialist, seriously, had an Onix, as for Lorelei, he preferred not to get too involved with her, the day before Misty told them how she admired her and didn't want to take risks, as the saying goes Pidgeot of the same plumage they usually get together.

"We meet again, but this time it is more appropriate that I call you by your name." It was the old woman he met in Pallet Town, Agatha the third of the elite four.

"I've learned that the world is smaller than it seems." Frankly, this no longer surprised Nick.

“I must agree, you know, I was proud when Green defeated me and took the place he deserved as champion… but Red is a completely different beast… unlike Oak, I never paid too much attention to that kid, must admit that it was a serious mistake.

(You can't blame yourself) Oak only paid attention to it because he literally believed it.

"Speaking of Oak, he passed by here recently, he had that look and the sparkle in his eyes, like in the old days, but I'm getting sidetracked, we must fight"

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

"You again! As if seeing that teacher worm wasn't enough..." Lance's attitude deflated.

"Arceus, how did it end like this? I don't know how I could have prepared myself for these super-kids... What difference does it make in the end?... When is your dignity so shattered that you don't care anymore?"

(Frankly, I don't care.) Nick wasn't going to feel sorry for the man who basically won the war against his region.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Nick arrived in time to see Oak scold his grandson and deliver a totally cynical and off-putting speech.

"Red, the bond you share with your Pokémon is wonderful, come with me!" Red and the teacher went to the next room

(He couldn't do it) Nick was really rooting for Green.

"I can't understand... I thought I had done everything right... and it comes out with that... that I didn't give my team the love and respect they deserve... not even being champion, a minimum of respect"

Green wasn't crying, he wasn't going to shed any more tears over this, he was just frustrated, disappointed and angry at his grandfather's speech after his defeat.

"That's Oak, he only cares about himself"

"Nick, I hope you don't come to congratulate me and I already understand Grandpa" Green sighed.

"I had planned to do it, but it's time for plan B" Nick showed him the medals

"Are you coming to…!?"

"I don't know if I can, but I have to try, I couldn't even see your fight, I didn't want to risk any move from Oak"

"I can only wish you luck, friend, I must continue to improve"

At that moment Red and the professor returned.

“I am the next challenger”

"Rocket! What are you doing here?" Oak recognized him immediately.

"Rocket? I think he's confused with the person, I'm Nick Pink and I came to challenge the new champion"

“You are just one of the many people who try my patience”

"I don't know what he's talking about, but he can leave us" Nick didn't want to hear the monologue of a madman

"Another speck of dust for Red to clean up." Oak stepped away, fully trusting Red.

"..." The champion just stared at him

"As talkative as always, you know I'm just here to return a favor, I have no idea if you understand what I'm saying, so let's start" They both raised their Pokeballs.

5