Chapter 23 – That’s even worse than getting married.
514 5 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– Belphegor’s Perspective –

 

I woke up just before sunrise. As I rose up from bed, my blindfold fell. And what was that smell…? **Sniff** This smell coming from my lips… without a doubt, the princess kissed me while I’m asleep. Hm, she’s more assertive than I thought. 

Lately, I’ve been feeling drowsy for quite some time, and I can’t seem to relax without someone I could hug. And judging from my own actions, there are also occasions where I unconsciously hug someone while I’m asleep. I don’t often hug someone when I’m asleep before, not when I first got out of my room. But somehow… it helps me not dream about my past. 

**sigh** It’s fine for me if we just sleep together, but I can’t risk Freya seeing us while Sora does something on me while I’m asleep. I should find a way to make her distance herself from me.

**yawn** I’m still drowsy. I’ll think about this after a wake up again. I tightened up my blindfold and went back to bed. Sora hugs me back. 

 

Just five more minutes…” I said to myself.

 

– 

 

“Mmh, mh, mmhh, mh, mhhhh” 

 

Nanatsu was humming when he entered. He was carrying a reindeer he hunted for Sora. 

 

“Morning peasants…”

 

**gasp**

 

“By the gods!” Nanatsu said. The reindeer he was carrying fell and made a thud sound on the ground.

“What is it, Anik– **gasp**”

 

Nanatsu and Hachiro were both stunned seeing Sora hugging me. I’ll just pretend to be asleep as I do not wish to be part of this nuisance. 

 

“You… What were you doing with him… huh?” Nanatsu asked with suspicion.

“I-I can explain!” Sora woke up while waving her hands.

“Were you trying to imper- impre- imperginate him!” Nanatsu stuttered before he drew out his sword.

“O-Of course not! He just invited me to sleep here. And I can’t get off of him since he was hugging me tightly.”

“You just got free when you saw us…”

“!!”

“You slimy b*tch” Nanatsu made a downward slash. 

 

**shiinnngg-**

 

“W-Wait, Aniki!”

“Hiik!!” Sora went blue after Nanatsu’s sword stopped just above her forehead. 

“What is it, Hachiro?”

“Look, Bell-san’s arm is still on her waist.”

“And?”

“It looks natural as if Sora didn’t take him as a hostage.”

“!! Am I that suspicious to you?!” Sora exclaimed.

“Hm. Feign ignorance huh?” Nanatsu snorted.

“I’m a princess and a hero, I wouldn’t do such a thing.”

“Just like a Dere-Dere would say…”

“Well, I believe in her, Aniki.”

“W-wha? You are supposed to be on my side.” Nanatsu felt betrayed.

“Of course, Aniki, I’m on your side, it’s just that the evidence isn’t enough to accuse her.”

“Hm, fine! We’ll just keep her on our watch list.” Nanatsu sheathed his sword.

 

 

The four of us waited around the firepit where Nanatsu and Hachiro prepared to cook the reindeer.

 

“I’m so hungry…” Sora said while staring at the reindeer. 

“Any minute now.” Hachiro said. 

“Let me take just a little bit-”

“No. **slap**” Nanatsu slaps Sora’s hand.

“Ouch. That hurts… Bell-san, aren’t you hungry as well?”

“I just ate.”

“Ehhh? Already?”

“Yes.” 

“Do you still have some of it?”

“That was my last stock, sorry.”

“**stomach rumbling** Ughh… I’m so hungry.” Sora said while stretching her legs and leaning her back a bit. 

“Don’t you have a bag of food supplies back at the wagon.” I asked.

“Well, uhhh… about that… Something happened yesterday and uhhh… Freya destroyed half of it so now we have to make it last till we get to Marigaya Town.” Hachiro said while scratching his cheek.

“You guys were probably behind it. Weren’t you?” Sora looked at them with suspicion.

“Hm, we’re innocent.” Nanatsu said.

“Then what’s up with the dent on your head?” 

“!! I-it’s noth– Oh look! The food is ready.” Nanatsu changed the topic. 

“Well, well, well. You think you can bribe me with food?”

“...”

“You’re lucky you can.” 

 

Sora took a slice of meat with her knife and ignored what happened yesterday. 

 

“**munch, munch**” Sora looks at me while eating.

“Yes?”

“... I’m curious. How old are you, Bell-san?”

“... I’ve already lost track of it.”

“Mmm… **munch, munch** Men like you who say that are mostly in their late twenties.”

“Really? Thanks.” I faintly smiled. 

“That means… You’re already married? No… hmm… **munch, munch** I don’t think so. You’re blind. Nobody would marr-”

“Actually, I am.”

“!!” Sora stops eating and stares at me.

“!! I’ve never heard of this.” Nanatsu exclaimed.

“That he is married, Aniki?” 

“No, not that, the word married… it scares me.”

“It means having a partner and you’ll be together for eternity.” I answered. 

“**gasp** … for eternity?” Nanatsu and Hachiro both looked stunned.

“Shut up you two.” Sora silence the two brothers before she stares at me again.

“...”

“Really?” She looks at me with anxious eyes asking if I’m actually married. 

 

The noise from the firepit fills the silence for a small brief of time.

 

“Yes, my wife’s name is Francesca.”

“...” She drops her food.

“Is there something bothering you?”

“... No… It’s nothing… You probably have a child.”

“I do have one, her name is Noelle. She’s turning five this year.”

“...” Sora suddenly turned gloomy. 

“What’s a child?” Nanatsu said with curiosity. 

“They’re small versions of us that came from their mother (like my partner), and they are raised until they get old enough to handle themselves.”

“**gasp** That’s even worse than getting married… Does that mean she’s been multiplying even today?!” Nanatsu's questions are getting exaggerated. 

“No, my wife wasn’t able to bear a child so we adopted one.” 

“!! She is?” Sora has livened up a bit.

“Why would you choose such suffering?” Nanatsu is starting to misunderstand the situation.

“Will you please shut up! How come you know the word impregnate while you can’t even tell what a married person and child mean?” Sora stares at them before she looks at me once again.

“We heard it from the women who came from Biringan Empire and they’re like...” Hachiro said before he stood up.

“...”

“... **Clears throat** Ooohh, we’re bringing you to Biringan Empire and we’ll imper-impreg-imperginate you there. Hehehehe, Huahahahaha, Niyahahahaha” Hachiro imitates a feminine voice.

“... **slap** That’s not what it even means.” Sora slaps Hachiro’s thigh.

“Hey!”

“And I’m telling you to shut up!”

“I just explained it because you were asking…”

“Well, I’m not interested.” Sora pouts her cheeks and crossed her arms.

“Anyway, we just heard it around some dark alley back in the Kingdom… and I’m telling you they’re sca-... **gulps**” Hachiro sits back.

 

Sora intimidatingly stares at them, Hachiro slightly raised both of his hands and shuts his mouth. 

 

“So, she isn’t your actual daughter or anything?” 

“Yes, we’re not related by blood.”

“Thank goo– I mean, that’s sad.”

“It’s alright.”

 

Sora smiled at herself before she sliced another piece of meat. She looks even more optimistic than before. I still couldn’t lie upfront for a long time like I used to. It’s still easier to lie through my mannequins than doing it myself. 

 

– 

 

At night, we trained Sora once again. As usual, Nanatsu cheats on her. Fending her off barehanded while Sora screams “He’s cheating again”. In an actual fight, it doesn’t matter if you’re cheating or not. Though I already knew it’s already unfair from the start. But I still hope she learns something new from this. Like finding a way to incapacitate him other than disarming him. I need to teach her about that, it’s about time Nanatsu stops harassing her. 

Sora didn’t stand a chance against Hachiro who seems to get too serious when they fight. The spells I’ve taught her simply backfired when she uses them against him. He's a formidable opponent. Still, those brothers sure are annoying if I’d be in Sora’s shoes right now. Hm. They both remind me of Miros and Anitos… Good old times… 

 

** clang **

 

Sora’s sword spun for a brief moment in the air before it plunged into the ground. 

 

“Haaa… haaa… haaaa…” Sora catches her breath.

“That’s Hachiro’s sixth strike in a row!” Nanatsu cheers on Hachiro.

“Haaa… Shut up, cheater.”

“Tch.”

“Okay that’s it, let’s rest for a while before I teach you some magic.” 

“Finally, some rest with these idiots.” 

“What did you just say?” 

“Nye~ nye~ nye~” Sora sneered at Nanatsu.

“Tch.”

 

We sat again around the campfire. 

 

“** stomach rumbling ** I’m hungry. Where’s my food?”

“Nye~ nye~ nye~” Nanatsu retaliated.

“Tch.” Sora rolled her eyes.

“Oh, I have it, here it is.” Hachiro gave some dried meat.

“Well, thank you, Hachiro. At least you’re a good man, unlike your brother. **stare**” 

“Hehe~” Hachiro scratches the back of his head.

“Don’t give her that.”

“Why…? Freya told us to give her something to eat whenever she’s hungry, right?”

“Hm.” Nanatsu snorted and crossed his arm as he looks away from Sora.

“** stomach rumbling ** I’m still hungry… Do you still have some more?”

“Well… Uhhh… Sorry, I already gave the last one of it to some wild animals when I got here so-.”

“You did what?! It was supposed to be mine! Mine alone!” Sora exclaimed as she stood up.

“Sorry… They look pitiful so I gave-”

 

!!

 

Sora threw her scabbard at him. Hachiro curled up a bit, trying not to get hit on the head.

 

“I hate you!” 

“Look. I’m sorry, okay? if you still want some, there’s still more at the wagon.”

“Hmph.” Sora walks away.

 

After a few minutes.

 

“**sigh** She’s no longer around isn’t she?” I asked.

“Yup, she’s already gone.” Hachiro confirmed. 

“To our actual topic… Now… What’s up with the dent on your head, Nanatsu?”

“Hm? It’s still there?” Nanatsu removed his helm and checks on it. 

“Yes, and it’s been bugging me for a while now.”

“... **sigh** We’re actually trying to drag your former body away from Freya-sama when she went out, but she immediately came back and caught us.”

“Hahahahaha. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s mad at you.”

“We’re sorry, Bell-sama. We have failed you once again.” Hachiro apologizes.

“No, it’s okay… I know you’ve been doing your best. Besides, you’re still alive, so there’s nothing to worry about it.”

“Thank you, Bell-sama.”

“That reminds me… Freya’s been planning to eliminate me, lately.”

“?! Is this true, Bell-sama? We’ve never heard of this.” Hachirco exclaimed. Nanatsu leaned forward a bit. 

“Yes, I’ve heard of it from her.”

“This is news to us. What should we do, Bell-sama?” Nanatsu said as he taps his index finger on his knee.

“We will have to-”

“Sora’s coming.” Hachiro notified us.

 

**squish, squash, squish, squash**

 

Sora came back as she pass through a muddy field. 

 

“Have you eaten already?” I asked

“I only ate a few because I’m alone there.”

“Where’s Freya?”

“Dunno… She might appear from behind me again if I stay there any longer.”

“I see. Let’s get back to training.” 

“Since you’ll be training her this time, Hachiro and I are going to take a bath just somewhere there down the river.” Nanatsu and Hachiro stood up.

“You guys take a bath?” Sora looks at them surprised.

“Of course, we do too! It’s getting hard to move with this mud stuck on our joints.” Nanatsu explained as he move around his shoulder.

“...”

“Hm, idiot.” Nanatsu mumbled as they walked out.

“What was that? You can’t even properly pronounce the word impregnate!” Sora barks at them but she was ignored.

“**sigh** Let’s move on already.” I waved my hand on Sora to stop her from such trivial matters. 

 

 

“Now I’ll be teaching you how to cast a spell to incapacitate someone.”

“!!” 

 

Sora faintly clenched her fist and jumped as she gets excited. I grabbed the back of her palm and she leans against my chest. I then point her palms to the ground.

 

“I want you to tense up your muscles, concentrate, breath the fresh air around you, feel the mana course through your veins.”

“**inhales and exhales**” Sora closed her eyes. After a brief moment, she opens them again.

“Now, repeat after me…”

“**gulps**”

“...[syrtes]

[syrtes]”

 

**thuck** 

 

The mud hardened in a blink of an eye. Debris that got stuck from its crevices flew at us.

 

!!

 

“Is that it?”

“No, you’re supposed to make a quicksand.”

“!! I’m sorry.” Sora was a bit embarrassed.

“It’s okay, I don’t expect you to get a hang of it on the spot.” I patted her head as she sulked herself from her own mistake.

“I don’t understand, it worked from the start, right? How did I get it wrong this time?”

“The spell Syrtes requires you to relax your muscles right after its release or else you’ll end up with that kind of result.”

“So I have to relax my muscles again to soften its surface.”

“Exactly.”

“Can’t I just relax my muscles from the start?”

“It’s best if you answer it yourself.” I walk a few meters away from her.

“Why are you moving away from me?”

“Just try it.” I faintly smiled.

 

Sora reiterated the things she did before.

 

“... [syrtes]

 

The surface bubbled up before it suddenly blew up. 

 

!!

 

**splash**

 

In an instant, Sora was drenched in mud while her back was spared. 

 

“Pweh! Acchh Pweh! Pweh! Ewww… Something went on my teeth.”

“Hahahaha.” I faintly laugh.

“...”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to. I just remembered the same mistakes I did before. And it’s best if you learn it from your own mistakes rather than hearing it from someone. It somehow becomes memorable.” I faintly smiled.

“Ooohhh, I need to clean myself up.” 

“You should, after your training.”

“But…”

“No, buts.”

“Fineeee.”

 

 

An hour later. 

 

** splash, thuck, splash, splash, thuck, thuck **

 

After several tries, she still hasn’t figured out how to properly cast it. She either ends up drenching herself up with mud or making a thick block of mud. She’s getting annoyed as time goes by. And I think she hasn’t noticed it yet, that her knees are already buried deep in the mud right now. It won’t be long until half of her body goes next until she won’t be able to get out of it.  

 

**clap, clap**

 

“That’s it.”

“Wait, wait, I think, I’m starting to get a hang of it.”

“No, you’re not. You’ve done the same mistake several times and nothing has changed yet.”

“But, but…”

“What you need right now is some rest… Sometimes, a little bit of rest can solve this kind of problem.”

“But I’m starting to feel it.”

“...”

“**sigh** Fineee.” 

 

Sora stumbled a bit as she tries to get out of the mud. 

 

“You’re hardly recognizable.”

“**giggles** Yeah, I can’t even see my skin anymore and it’s getting hard to walk.”

“You should wash it off before it gets thick.”

“You’re right, I should get going now.”

“Go ahead, I’ll follow.”

 

Sora runs away from me as she went after Nanatsu and Hachiro. I wonder if they’ve already washed themselves up.

 

 

“Kya! **splash**”

“Horaa, Horaaa **splash, splash** ”

“Kyaaaa! Aniki, please stop it already!”

 

The two naked brothers played in the middle of the river. They splash themselves and ran around the river. Their armor lying beside the river shimmered as the moonlight slips through the cloudy skies. In a slow-motion, they look like a lively couple, but only if you look from a faraway distance. Seeing it up close looks… disappointing… I’m starting to question my own creations. 

 

“Kyaaaa!!” 

“**gasp**” 

“Who goes there?” 

“Itsh me!” Sora spoke but a thick mud got on her lip. 

“Kyaaaa!! Aniki, It’s a Dere-Dere. She’s going to imperginate us!” Hachiro screamed and ran behind Nanatsu.

“Yu guysh are more scarier than mhe! Jush rook at your muskular bodies.”

“Back away, Dere-dere! We do not seek to accompany a new one on our side.” Nanatsu spreads his arm protecting Hachiro behind him. 

“Em jush going to wash myshelf here and get out of here.” Sora walked further into the river.

“**gasp** She’s going to imperginate us!”

“Quick, Aniki, fend her off!”

“[levis gladius]” Nanatsu cast a light sword, radiating violet light. 

“!! Hey!” Sora evades Nanatsu's terrible sword attacks. 

“Die, Dere-dere!” 

“!!, !!, !!” Sora evades his attack one after another.

“Aniki, she’s trying to corrupt this river. Quick use your hand instead to finish her off!”

“Eww, I don’t want to…” Nanatsu felt disgusted as he complained.

“Idiots, itsh mud!” 

“We won’t be fooled!” Nanatsu tried to slash Sora once again.

“!! Woah! **splash**” Sora stumbled and splash herself in the river.

“To hell with you!”

“Nooooohhh!”

 

A string getting stretched was heard and it wrapped around Nanatsu’s right arm.

 

**zoooonnnn, stretched**

 

!!

 

“I-I can’t move my arm.” Nanatsu’s arm was restrained.

“**gasp** she has corrupted you, Aniki.”

“No, he’s not.” I appeared from the shadows.

“We’re saved!” 

“**sigh** Please calm down. You’re not in danger.” I loosen up my strings wrapped around Nanatsu’s arm.

“But she’s too dangerous to be left alive.” Nanatsu points her light sword at Sora.

“Hiik!!” Sora squeak.

“It’s Sora.”

“!!” Nanatsu and Hachiro were both surprised.

“Idiots, itsh me! **splash**” Sora rinsed her face for a second before she looks at them again.

“Now, will you please put away your sword?” I politely asked Nanatsu who was still surprised.

“Fine! But don’t y-”

 

Somewhere, down the river. We heard someone scream.

 

“Aaaah! What’s this?!”

“...”

“Are you trying to-! Hn! These traces of light!”

 

**voooooooooommm** 

 

A tidal wave was formed down below. 

 

!!

 

Someone flew up in the sky before it dive towards us.

 

**swooooosh** 

 

**stretched** 

 

I immediately wrapped my strings around Nanatsu’s arms to redirect him.

 

**clannnnnnnnggggggggg, splaaassshhhh, spark, spark** 

 

Water splash around us as Nanatsu received its full blow. Sora and Hachiro were both dragged away by it. I staggered a bit as we hold our ground with my strings.

As the mist around us subsides. Freya stood tall to us, she was beaming with pride and authority. I felt small as I look at her. Nanatsu and Freya were both naked facing each other. 

Mmm… how should I say this… She’s quite huge, yet she still looks well proportioned. It’s not too big and it’s not too small. Her melons are wrapped with bandages. I wonder why.

 

“You have been ridiculing me from the start. This ends now.” Freya looks down at us with bloodlust. 

“**cough, cough** Freya-sama, please don’t, we didn’t mean to offend you.” Sora stood up. 

“We didn’t know you were there, Freya-sama. Right, Aniki?” Hachiro added.

“...”

“Aniki?”

“...”

“Your silence is enough to prove that you’re guilty of your cri-” Freya stopped as she noticed Nanatsu’s light sword gradually lose its form until it diminishes away. 

 

**splash**

 

Nanatsu fainted like a ragdoll. 

 

“Aniki!” 

“What happened?” Sora was confused.

“Anikiiiiiiiiii…!”

 

 

Nanatsu points his light sword at Sora.
"She's too dangerous to be left alive." - Nanatsu

12