Story 2: Strings
198 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dry leaves crunched under the soles of his shoes, creating an eerie sound that increased the already uncomfortable atmosphere. The wind howled between the branches of the high trees, a ghost’s cry in the twilight.

Ren Xing walked forward mutely, watching his steps on the uneven road.

You must return before night falls.

If he continued in this speed, he’d be perfectly on time. It would be bad if he made his father mad by coming too late; the man was quick to pull his cane.

The bag on his shoulder was heavy with the rest of the wares and the money he carried, but he kept it steady and continued to walk up the mountain path.

Once he was an adult, he would take over his father’s craft. He’d need the strength then, so it only made sense that he trained his muscles now.

His father had already found him a bride that would take care of the household while he worked. That was good - he had to do it since his mother’s passing. They’d have a woman in the house again.

He knew the girl. She was comely and quiet. She knew how to cook and clean and wasn’t picky. He’d have to take over the heavy work, of course, but that was fine. He would be the husband, after all. That was his task.

He hoped their first child would be a son, however. Daughters were spilt milk once they married away, but a son would support him, just like he was doing it for his father right now.

Ren Xing looked up.

The path wasn’t overly broad, but it was clear enough. The brush grew thick beside it and the trees tall, blocking out a lot of light.

It was very dark despite there still being rays of the sun in the sky. If he did not know the path this well, he might stumble.

...Yes, he knew the path. That was why he would not stumble on it.

One long, winding road up the mountain and to their little house.

Ren Xing’s steps slowed.

He’d arrive perfectly on time if hee continued walking at his usual pace. Before it got dark, as he was supposed to.

He stopped walking.

Ren Xing’s eyes moved, but his head was turned towards the road he needed to follow.

However, to his left was another path.

When had he started seeing it? The fork in the road that had never been there before, that couldn’t possibly be here? There was only one road up the mountain.

That other path shouldn’t be of interest to him. He knew where he had to go.

Up the mountain, back home. He would marry his wife in a month and she would move in. He would start learning his father’s craft and earn money for himself, then have his wife bear a son. He’d take care of his father and raise his son.

He began walking.

But I’m not going the right way.

Ren Xing’s steps quickened.

If he kept going his usual pace, then he would reach it soon enough  - reach somewhere. Reach elsewhere than his little house on top of the mountain.

The path quickly grew more uneven and uncomfortable. Branches tugged at his clothes, but he kept on walking. What was at the end of this road that wasn’t supposed to be there at all?

The trees made place for a small clearing. The sound of water could be heard, surprising Ren Xing who looked at a small, bubbling stream crossing before him.

He walked past it and stared at what was before him.

The small house - it must not be larger than maybe three rooms - was placed on some kind of stilts, as if the person living in there feared a flood. It was small but cute, with ivy growing up the stilts and stopping right before the floorboards.

On the edge of the wooden boards sat a person.

Ren Xing blanched. His father had warned him to not ever disturb a noble, as they were quick to cut off hands or heads. He also warned him that some were eccentric.

The clearing was well hidden, but it was incredibly beautiful - as beautiful as the youth on the porch.

Ren Xing took a step back, worried that he might be seen. The dry leaves under the soles of his shoes crunched.

“Who is there?”

The voice was like silk, so soft and gentle that Ren Xing involuntarily relaxed. The youth on the porch did not turn to him, but he spoke again, making it obvious that he knew of Ren Xing’s presence.

“It is very rude to not give your name when meeting someone you don’t know.”

Ren Xing flinched, then hurriedly went down on the ground. He lowered his head and spoke in an uneven voice. “I apologize! My name is Ren Xing!”

“...Ren Xing, is it? Come over here, don’t speak from so far away.”

The young man flapped his mouth a few times, uncertain. Ultimately he came to a simple conclusion: He might offend the other with his crude behaviour if he approached him, but he would certainly offend him if he did not go at all.

With a lowered head and small steps, he dares to approach as quietly as possible.

Standing before the other, he snuck a glance and froze.

The one before him was a piece of finest jade. His skin was a healthy white and his hair like ebony, falling over his shoulder without a single knot. The silken robe must have cost a fortune, as well; it was red in colour with golden stitchings depicting Asclepias flowers.

His features were surprisingly mature but still gentle, like nothing could ever anger this person. The plump lips were naturally upturned and the eyelashes on his closed eyes were like a butterfly’s wings.

Ren Xing found his face heating up and his thoughts emptying. He had never thought that such a beautiful man could exist - how could God allow such a thing on earth?

Then the other opened his eyes, and Ren Xing knew that God had taken a price, at least.

The milky white of his irises was heartbreaking. The pair of eyes looked at him, but did not; they were merely turned into his direction without seeing him at all.

“Have I frightened you? Have you never seen a blind person before?” The voice spoke again, a hint of teasing beneath the nonchalant tone. He tilted his head and the black hair cascaded to the side.

“I-I haven’t”, Ren Xing stuttered and suddenly, with a wave of guilt, he was relieved that this youth was blind. At least he could not see Ren Xing’s shabby appearance. “I apologize fo-for disturbing you!”

“You didn’t disturb me. I’m happy to get a visitor, it’s quite lonely up here.” The youth sighed. 

“You live alone?” The words burst out of Ren Xing’s mouth before he could stop himself. The thought was ridiculous - a blind person, all alone up in the mountains?

The other’s eyes lowered again, a sad expression on his face. “Someone was living with me before, but… Anyway, there is someone who brings me food daily and I know my way around the house. I might not have any interactions with people, but it’s acceptable.”

Does the person who delivers food not even talk to him?

This time, Ren Xing could stop himself from asking. He knew how the people down in the village viewed anyone with inborn illnesses.

Then his mind registered the first half of what the youth and said and he grew dejected. It seemed the other was not alone here because he wanted to. Either he was left behind on purpose, or due to an accident.

“Oh.” Ren Xing pulled his head between his shoulders. He did not know how to hold good conversations. He wasn’t eloquent. At this moment, for the first time, he wished he was.

The youth patted the space next to him. “If you want to, do you want to sit down with me and talk for a while?”

“Ah, I-” Ren Xing hesitated. he had to get back.

“Don’t worry. I won’t keep you long, you will have enough time to return where you have to go. Only a couple of minutes?”

The words struck an uncomfortable chord in Ren Xing’s heart.

Where I have to go.

He sat down.

“My name is Qian Xian. You said you are Ren Xing?”

Despite Qian Xian being unable to see, Ren Xing sat up straight and neatly placed his hands onto his lap. They were dirty and rough - the hands of someone who worked hard.

He looked over at Qian Xian’s hands and was surprised once again. They were covered in calluses and small cuts.

“...Is something the matter?” Confused at not hearing an answer, the blind youth spoke up.

Ren Xing wanted to hit himself. “N-No, I apologize! I am- I was just-”

“You don’t have to be so nervous”, Qian Xian said gently. “Or do I scare you?”

“Not at all”, Ren Xing hurried to disagree. He shook his head wildly, his hair going flying. He gripped his fingers tightly around his old, tattered clothes. “It’s just that I have never talked to someone like you before. I’m only a common wood-worker…”

A hint of anger seemed to flare up in Qian Xian’s eyes but it vanished immediately, like an illusion. “Don’t say that. You are a very kind person who sits and talks to a blind young man instead of returning home to eat.”

The words made the messy youth relax a tiny bit. He flushed again. “I’m not exactly good company.”

“You are excellent company.” The ethereal young man raised his hand and blindly touched to the side. Finding Ren Xing’s arm, he carefully followed it up to his face. His fingertips brushed over Ren Xing’s cheeks. “You say you are a common wood-worker, but you must be quite handsome?”

Fascinated, Ren Xing let the fingers brush over his nose, past his lips and stop for a moment at his eyes before retracting.

“Everyone says I look very ordinary”, Ren Xing awkwardly mumbled. “The only good thing about me is my eyes.”

Reen Xing liked his eyes. He liked them a lot, although that might be a weird thing to say. They were a clear brown - not dirty, but rather like the brown of a healthy tree’s bark.

“No, I’m sure you must be very handsome”, Qian Xian insisted with a soft smile. “A kind, handsome young man and a hard worker. Your father must value you a lot.”

Ren Xing’s heart froze over again.

...He had to get back on the path. His father would be mad if he didn’t listen.

Qian Xian appeared to sense his reluctance. “You have to leave?”

“Yes”, Ren Xing forced out sadly. Then he breathed in, and nervously stuttered a sentence. “But I-I will return tomorrow, if you don’t mind?”

“I’d be delighted”, Qian Xian said with genuine joy. He laughed slightly, a sound like silver bells ringing. “I’m looking forward to it.”

“Me too”, Ren Xing muttered under his breath. He waited until Qian Xian had stood up and made his way into his house before he left. Unhappy, he kept on glancing back, but as soon as the fork in the road returned, he started to run.

He had to get back on time.

Thanks to running, he made it just after the night fell. His father was already standing at the door, glaring at him. “You are late today.”

Ren Xing lowered his head meekly. “I apologize, Father. There was a boar, so I waited for a few minutes.”

The tall man breathed out through his nose. He had scary features - a dark, stern face with narrow eyes and an angular chin. “Next time, come here punctually. I expect you to do as you are told.”

“I will, Father”, Ren Xing responded, his shoulders slumping.

That’s right, he simply had to follow the road that was placed before him. Stupidly walking where he was told without ever questioning it.

He bit his lips and followed his father inside. He still had to make dinner for the two of them, clean up and prepare for tomorrow - he had not married yet, so the tasks fell on him. It would be better once he had a wife.

In a bleak mood, Ren Xing worked until late at night before he could finally roll himself into his bed and sleep.

When he went down the mountain, the other road was nowhere in sight. Only when he ran back up the mountain path in the evening did the fork appear as if it had been waiting for him. He did not question it - he did not question things. His father had told him not to question anything.

And so that he would return to the path he was told to walk in time, he ran until his breath was painful in his lungs.

Qian Xian sat on the porch again, a single ray of light within the dark forest.

“Hello”, Ren Xing shouted from further away to make himself known. “Ah, good evening!”

“Good evening”, Qian Xian replied with a bright smile. “I was waiting for you.”

The words made him blush. He sat down in the same place as yesterday, setting his bag on the ground. 

“A bag? Your work?”, Qian Xian asked curiously. “You said you work with woods, what do you do?”

“I- ...Or rather, my father, since I am still learning… We make dolls.” He scratched his cheek. “Like the small ones that you use in offerings, you know?”

Because his father was an excellent dollmaker, his work sold well. There were always people wanting dolls and the merchants came daily. You could not leave those dolls for too long or they would not burn properly, but they were supposed to put the spirits of the children dying of the plague at ease so they were needed all the time.

Qian Xian froze up. His lips twisted a bit. “A dollmaker…”

“D-Do you not like dolls?”, Qian Xian asked nervously. The dolls were offerings so many people thought of them as creepy. That was why they lived on a mountain.

Qian Xian shook his head and smiled sadly and rubbed his hands. “I like them. I made lots of dolls before I lost my sight. Then, after I lost it, there was someone else who helped me make them, but…”

The person who was gone.

Ren Xing felt his mood sink. “You lost your sight? You weren’t born like this?”

Qian Xian touched his cheek and smiled without a sign of looking troubled. “Yes. I had no problems losing it, just in case you want to ask. Even that I couldn’t make dolls on my own anymore was fine.”

“Your dolls must have sold for a lot”, Ren Xing stupidly commented. He cleared his throat and tried to explain himself. “I mean, you’re surely very talented!”

Qian Xian chuckled in amusement. “How sweet that you assume that without having seen one.”

“Do you still have any?” Ren Xing glanced over his shoulder and at the house. In truth, he was a bit curious.

“Do you want to see? You can go inside, if you want to. I have nothing to hide from you.” Qian Xian spoke slowly, his volume lowering towards the end. He kept his smile turned towards to Ren Xing, the blind white eyes shining.

“O-Ohh, then, excuse me”, Ren Xing mumbled under his breath. He stood up and slowly approached the door. It opened easily, without a hint of resistance.

The insides were clean and neat. He found a kitchen and a sort of washing room, then a beautiful room filled with numerous dolls. The smallest were the size of his finger, the largest that of his arm.

He touched one of them gently. He had never seen such a perfect work before. Each of them was beyond compare, priceless treasures carefully placed next to each other. They all wore tiny clothes of different designs and had small, painted faces.

Outside, the trees rustled in the wind.

“What a shame”, he whispered to himself. Once he had seen enough, he turned around and left the room, only to pause and look at the door opposite.

Like following an unknown pull, he opened the door to reveal the bedroom.

There was only one mattress, but it was large enough for two. There was a workbench in one corner, tools neatly stacked and colours placed in order. On the chair was a single set of clothes - simple ones, not the fancy robe that Qian Xian wore, and at first sight too large for him.

“The one who lived here with me was my most beloved”, Qian Xian suddenly said and Ren Xing darted around. The youth was standing behind him, one hand on the wall. He had approached without a sound. “I loved him so, so much…”

“Did he die”, Ren Xing whispered breathlessly, staring at the empty eyes before him.

“He was stolen away”, Qian Xian said emotionlessly. “I always thought that one day, I have to punish the one who did it. I would have given everything for him.”

“I’m sure you will find someone else”, Ren Xing forced out. Seeing the youth sad was dragging out the air in his lungs. The woman had left him behind for another after he became blind - it was a tragedy, but not an unexpected one.

“What about you?”, Qian Xian asked, looking into the room with blind eyes. “Do you have someone you love?”

Ren Xing thought about his bride. A comely girl. A good wife. He looked away from Qian Xian, who was the only thing he could see. “Yes.”

Qian Xian paused. “Then if you have, make sure to do everything for them. Love them, and don’t ever leave them behind.”

“...I won’t.”

Ren Xing could not stay for long. He had to leave and return home. He had to finish his tasks.

But day after day, for a couple of minutes, he returned to the small house on the path he wasn’t supposed to walk on.

When the day of his birthday came, his father gave him a piece of wood. 

“Make a doll”, he ordered, his dark eyes focused on Ren Xing.

So Ren Xing sat and worked. Through a whole night, he worked until the tiny doll was done. At the breakfast table, he handed it over to his father to judge.

He thought it was a good doll, but his father blanched and shattered it on the floor.

“What have you made!” Furious, his father pushed the table away. The ceramic shattered on the floor, food spilling everywhere. “What did I tell you to make!”

“A doll”, Ren Xing stuttered. “I-I made it like you taught me…”

His father reached out for his collar and dragged him up by it. He could see his father’s distorted face and the weird glimmer in his eyes.

His father half threw him against the wall, then left in a fit of anger.

Ren Xing sat motionlessly for a while before he stood up again. He walked forward, avoiding the shards, and gathered up the remnants of his little doll.

“I’m sorry”, he muttered sadly and cradled it in his hands. Quietly, he hid it in his pocket before he began to clean up.

That day, he did not go down the mountain. Only the next morning, everything was back to normal.

Sitting next to Qian Xian, Ren Xing felt tears fall from his eyes as he held the destroyed doll parts. “He was furious. I don’t know why. I tried my best and I thought it turned out well…”

“May I?” Qian Xian gingerly touched his hand and searched for the parts. He took it into his hands, touching it carefully. His face bloomed into a smile and he laughed, his face both sad and happy. “...I can tell, Ren Xing. This is a very, very beautiful doll. It is perfect. You did nothing wrong. May I keep it?”

That was all he wanted to hear.

Ren Xing covered his eyes and cried silently.

“Don’t cry, Ren Xing. Don’t cry, okay?”

Whenever Qian Xian spoke his name, it was beautiful. He had never liked his name, but when Qian Xian spoke it, it was different. It was warm and gentle.

Soundlessly crying, he felt the other lean against his shoulder and wrap an arm around him. It was soothing and warm.

But night was coming quickly.

Ren Xing left the house behind, trudging forward. The dead leaves crunched under his feet.

Standing at the fork, he stopped.

He had to return before night fell. He had to work hard, had to marry his bride soon. He had to learn his father’s craft and teach it to his son in the future. He had to…

With a blank stare, Ren Xing looked at the ground. Then he turned around and took a step back where he came from.

“Ren Xing!”

The furious voice of his father froze all the blood in his veins.

Someone grabbed his arm and harshly yanked him backwards.

“Where do you think you are going!” The bellow rang painfully in his ears. “Why are you not doing what I tell you to do!”

“I don’t want to”, Ren Xing responded in a soundless whisper. “Why do I have to walk the road you chose for me?”

The man’s widened eyes were dark with storm clouds. Then his face twisted like a demon’s and his grip turned tighter. Ren Xing winced at the pain when his father pulled him. “You will do as I say! Who do you think you are!”

“I-”

Bitter feelings welled up in Ren Xing’s chest. Did he truly have to go back?

The trees rustled. The wind howled through the branches like ghosts crying out for blood.

“You stole him from me”, someone said quietly, and all sounds in the forest seemed to vanish to make space for the words.

Ren Xing’s father jolted. His grip tightened and Ren Xing could see his face turning into an expression of terror as he looked forward.

Qian Xian walked the path without making a single noise. He tilted his head, his expressionless face as beautiful as ever. 

“You stole what’s mine. You stole what I loved most. You stole what I gave my sight for to have and what I would have given everything else for.” Qian Xian stopped right in front of them.

“N-No… That’s impossible…” The tall man behind Ren Xing shuddered. “Y-You can’t be here… You can’t… How did you...”

“Give him back.” Qian Xian’s voice was barely audible. “If you don’t know how to value him, if he wants to return, then give him back.”

He is mine!” The terrified screech held nothing of the strong facade his father usually carried. Ren Xing hissed in pain when the pressure on his arms increased, dragging him away from Qian Xian.

“Let me go!”

Maybe for the first time, Ren Xing shouted at his father.

“You are an idiot, little human”, Qian Xian said without any emotions. He took a step forward. “Do you think you can keep him? Do you think I will let you keep him? Did you truly think you could steal him from me forever, unless he is willing to stay with you?”

Ren Xing struggled in the man’s arms. He wanted to get away from him, leave that tight grip.

“Ren Xing!” The man shouted.

“Ren Xing.” Qian Xian whispered.

And Ren Xing froze.

Aah.

That’s what it was. That’s what he hated so much. That’s why it sounded so different when Qian Xian said it.

He wasn’t Ren Xing (). He was Ren Xing ().

...He was not a puppet to follow this man’s will. He was…

He was…

“I am human”, Ren Xing hissed, breaking free from the tight grip and running forward towards Qian Xian.

The other beamed, opening his arms wide, and Ren Xing ran into them, embracing him tightly. A familiar heartbeat sounded in his ears, a warmth he knew leaning against him.

The man stumbled to the ground, shivering.

Qian Xian opened his eyes, his face terrible and dark where Ren Xing couldn’t see it. His eyes were like the deepest, coldest abyss.

“I gave my eyes to pay for a doll to become human”, Qian Xian said, staring down at the man. “I gave an eternity of sight to create a life out of nothing. You do not have enough to pay for such a miracle, filthy thing. Not even your entirety is worth enough.”

The Dollmaker spoke clearly, laughing at the foolishness of the human who wanted to be a god. A human who thought that he could make the most perfect work by imitating the work of the one who was the most perfect work himself…

Only to realize that from the start, that one did not know how to create a doll. He could only create a human.

And that was not a feat the man could ever imitate.

“If you like dolls that much, then I will do you a favour. You can be one yourself. Maybe one day you will learn”, the Dollmaker declared.

Ren Xing tried to turn around but was stopped. Qian Xian pulled at him while walking backwards, gently leading him down the path.

At the fork in the road sat a figure made of wood, emptily staring down the mountain.

Ren Xing felt the warm hands holding his own and flushed a bit. Somehow he understood what was going on, but somehow he didn’t. It felt like there was a fog around his mind, clouding memories that were supposed to belong to him.

“I shouldn’t have left you alone, even for a day”, Qian Xian lamented in a genuinely sad tone. “He was greedy from the moment he first saw you. He stole you when you were sleeping.”

“I don’t remember at all”, Ren Xing said with slight confusion. In the first place, he remembered growing up with that man at his side.

“There is a lot you can do by giving sacrifices to the right one”, Qian Xian said in a bitter voice. “I was late because I punished that one for helping him.”

He stopped walking and turned to look at Ren Xing. 

“Will you be angry that I am late?”

“No”, Ren Xing said and found it true. “I would never be mad at you.”

Qian Xian smiled again and lifted a hand to wipe it over his cheek, rubbing away some dirt. “That’s a relief. Do you want to stay with me again? I will not decide for you. You can go whatever path you would like, but… I would hope you would let me follow you.”

Ren Xing held his hand tightly and, almost in what felt like a habitual gesture, cupped Qian Xian’s cheek and gently kissed him.

“I want to be with you.”

Not because anyone told him to.

Qian Xian hummed softly, returning the grip. This time, Ren Xing lead the way back to the little house.

On the porch sat a little figure - only as tall as a palm.

Ren Xing was surprised as he saw it.

It wore tiny clothes and had a pretty, painted face that enhanced what had been there before. A cheeky personality with mischievous eyes.

“You can’t make dolls”, Qian Xian laughed. “I can make dolls. You can’t. I gave the little one clothes, I think if we leave him around for long enough, he might begin to whisper as well.”

Ren Xing tilted his head.

The wind rustled through the branches in the trees… Whispers of dozens of voices, not quite there but not quite an illusion either, welcoming back the one who had been gone for too long.

Ren Xing felt his eyes sting. “Have you never regretted making me?”

“I was cocky back then”, Qian Xian admitted. “I thought I could make a perfect work, and I did. But then I realized that I had hurt myself in the process… Because I can make dolls, but I can never make a finished soul. I made a human, but I did not have a full soul to wake him up. I could only hear his whispers and look at him.”

He closed his eyes.

“I looked at you for long enough. I looked at this world long enough. I know what it looks like, so I gave it away and got what I truly wanted in return.”

“I’m not very handsome”, Ren Xing complained, blushing.

“You have the most beautiful eyes, though”, Qian Xian laughed. “Since they’re mine. And besides, I never wanted a beautiful man at my side - you were already stolen when you look plain, what would have happened if you were handsome?”

“So you admit that I’m not handsome”, a dejected Ren Xing cried out as he sat down on the porch - the same spot that he always, always sat on.

Qian Xian sat down next to him and leaned against him, hooking their arms and intertwining their fingers. “You’re the most handsome in my eyes because you’re the only one whose face I have ever bothered to memorize.”

Ren Xing fell quiet again while Qian Xian laughed.

Finally, he spoke up again.

“I’m back.”

“Welcome home.”

And night fell, and he was home in time.

Notes I did not want to include into the text:
"Ren Xing", written in two different ways but with very similar pronunciation, can be read as "puppet" and "human".
Qian Xian can be read as "to control from behind the scenes", "to pull strings", "to manipulate a puppet"
Asclepius flowers, or milkweed, symbolize remembrance, dignity and freedom.

This story is basically born out of a song, Mowgli's Road by Marina and the Diamonds:
There's a fork in the road
I do as I am told
And I don't know
Who I wanna be

The basic setting was a person walking the same road over and over again, without ever deviating from it because that was what they were told to do. One day, they realize that they are doing the same in their whole life - always following just a given path - and find a fork in the road that wasn't there before. They walk the other road to see where it goes.
The development of the unknown being who lost his most beloved creation came spontaneously. The Dollmaker was willing to give up everything for the creation he accidentally loved more than planned, and the creation ended up falling in love with his maker as well.
Meanwhile the man who was obsessed with dolls as the image of a human became a doll himself, forever staring at the road he had ordered another to walk.

10