V1Ch3: Wheels Are Turning
121 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Three

Wheels Are Turning

~*~

 

 

It wasn't a large room by some standards, but was finely acquitted with ornately patterned carpets and wallpaper, all in soft spring colors.

Above the fireplace hung a large portrait of the family that Ardel had commissioned after one unusually bountiful harvest.

Pairs of matched chairs with tables between were arranged in groups around the room, a porcelain vase overflowing with cut flowers on every table.

On the outside wall, a picture window draped in fringed damask and lace overlooked Lenna's rose garden. A small table with four tapestry upholstered chairs sat in front of the window.

Mistress Amelys occupied a chair nearest the window, her severe black traveling dress an arresting contrast to the pastels and ivories of the room.

Even at her advanced age, she was still a striking beauty. Despite her white hair, now lit like a halo about her head where the afternoon sun streamed in through the window, her blue eyes were bright and piercing, the skin on her face clear, the creamy color of fine porcelain and stretched taut over sharp cheekbones, only the finest of lines around her eyes.

The lifetime development of one's ethereal energy would tend to slow aging, and it was impossible to tell from appearance how old Mistress Amelys actually was.

Serenity was one thing the years had most assuredly granted her, though. Mistress Amelys was not as easy as others for Kazia to read, keeping even her internal disposition well tempered.

If only more people were able to manage that.

A sense of serious business emanated from her nonetheless, but as Kazia neared she smiled and began to rise on an elaborately carved ebony cane.

"Oh, no, Mistress," Kazia said. "You needn't rise for me. Please sit."

"Ah!" Amelys replied. "I've been sitting all day, in the carriage and now here. Let me stretch my knees a moment."

Kazia smiled as her mentor embraced her gently and kissed each of her cheeks in turn. Studying Kazia's face intently, Amelys patted one cheek and then rubbed a thumb across it.

"You've been hard at work I see," she said. "I'm sorry to interrupt."

"The most pleasant interruption, I assure you."

"Come, Kazia. I'm sure you've read the air. But sit. Have some tea. Eat something. These scones are quite delicious. Does Mrs. Gewalt bake them herself?"

"She does. Yes, she is quite an accomplished baker."

Kazia took the other chair near the window and poured herself a cup of tea as Amelys resettled herself.

"Mercenaries have been raiding Caedran border towns," Amelys said. Straight to business was her way. "Valesk denies it, but they are certainly behind the actions. They are looking for you."

"They can't know that I'm here, surely," Kazia said, trying her best to sound dismissive. She stirred a bit of sugar into her cup.

"You know the quality of their intelligence. They know that you're in a village somewhere, and they seem determined to check every one. It's time, Kazia."

Kazia dropped her spoon and turned her face away from Amelys.

She could feel her mentor's anticipation. Amelys would afford her some patience, but only so much, Kazia knew. She looked sadly at the portrait of the Gewalt family. They had been so good to her. Not many had been.

"They are in danger," Amelys said. "The Gewalts, all of the farmers, all of the villagers. I know you don't want that. If you come to the castle, we can feed Valesk that information and they'll know they can't get to you. They'll stop these raids."

Kazia turned in her seat again.

"Couldn't you just tell them that either way?" she suggested. Petulance was not her usual manner, but there had to be a way out of this.

"They will know," Amelys said sternly. "They'll be sure to confirm."

"But if I go to the castle, doesn't that put me in the middle of everything? Isn't it just another side of what I fled? I never wanted to be involved in any of this."

"It may not be avoided if Valesk's aggression continues."

Kazia rose from her seat and took a turn about the room, coming to stand at the edge of the window. She studied the roses outside for a moment, then swept her gaze out over the farmland and up over the hills beyond.

Amelys only turned to her tea and scones, giving Kazia the moment.

"I could go abroad," Kazia said finally. "Beyond the Five Nations, somewhere -"

"You could," Amelys agreed. "You would have no friends there. No protection - and your father's resources are plentiful. Do you think an ocean would stop him?"

Kazia let out a sound of frustration, nodded, and returned to her seat.

"The Capital is just so full of people," she whispered. "How will I manage?"

"You needn't mingle with the community much," Amelys assured, her tone lightening. "I have secured private apartments for you away from the bustle, plenty of room. An adjoining laboratory..."

Amelys gave Kazia a sly side-wise look, a smile playing at the corner of her lips.

"...well supplied. Any equipment you need at any time."

"And what would I do in such a laboratory?" Kazia asked, taking the obvious bait.

"The Queen's Alchemists have amassed quite the storeroom of unfinished Artifacts, abandoned by their makers, many of which could become quite useful soon. Your job would be to see what you can get working."

Kazia drew in a sharp breath. Amelys certainly knew how to tempt her.

"I do miss the Artifacts," she admitted.

Amelys nodded knowingly.

"Would I have to work with weapons, though?" Kazia asked with some trepidation. "You know their energy can be... difficult."

Amelys shook her head.

"Our Armaments department can take care of their own," she assured. "And even if it comes to war, there are plenty of needs for a war effort besides weaponry."

"If I do join the Queen's Alchemists, will they be disappointed that I can't do any grand magic?"

"Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. How is your energy work now?"

"I'm afraid I haven't improved much," Kazia answered, embarrassed.

"Have you been practicing Contemplation?"

Kazia looked away sheepishly.

"It's still very difficult, and it's so peaceful here that I haven't really felt the need. Are you very disappointed in me?"

"Of course not," Amelys replied. "Although I had hoped that the peace of the farm could help with that. I do think it's best if you start a regular Contemplation practice. You will be best served by a still mind if there is trouble. As for magic, I don't think your work will require it and I'm sure the subject may never even arise."

Kazia drew herself up straight in her chair and looked Amelys in the eye.

"I'll think about it," she said firmly.

"Well, not for too long, I hope," Amelys answered. "Wheels are turning, and we may find ourselves under them if we tarry."

"I would ask if you would return to the Capital tonight, but it seems Lenna has made plans for you," Kazia said lightly.

"Indeed," Amelys chuckled. "We've taken rooms in the village public house, and I thought I might keep Unity Day with you tomorrow, if you would accompany me to the fair."

"It seems I am in high demand for it this-" Kazia broke off as they heard the front door opening to a clamor of voices and footsteps. Madame Brandra swept into the room and plopped unceremoniously into a chair beside Kazia.

"So," Brandra said conspiratorially while reaching for the teapot, "is our young Lady coming home with us?"

"She is thinking about it," Amelys said curtly.

"I see," said Brandra, giving Kazia's hand a few affectionate pats. "Thinking about it. Well, not for too long, I hope."

Kazia was barely listening.

The room had suddenly filled with the most intense sadness she had ever felt.

It billowed in from the open archway, uncurling and stretching like the tentacles of an octopus, creeping along the walls to surround her on all sides.

She turned her gaze, now blurring with tears, toward the archway - to the source of this desolate grief.

 

~~~*~~~

 

Mistress Amelys

0bd6f1a316d434136a39e1f37de73725.jpg

 

 

8