V2Ch17: A Moving Lure – pt1
110 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Seventeen

A Moving Lure

Part One

~*~

 

 

 

At mid-morning, Kelvaran was summoned to the great hall. He carefully schooled his face upon seeing Prince Gorvan Devratha sitting at the head of the table with Yilina at his side.

She looked like a frightened deer.

The table was otherwise empty, but there was a heavy guard around the perimeter of the room. Kelvaran knelt before reaching the table, bowing his head low.

“Your Highness,” he said firmly.

It made him sick to do it all.

“Stop that and come here, Meratha,” Gorvan said gruffly, indicating the open seat to his side, opposite Yilina. “Sit.”

Kelvaran took the seat and looked at Yilina. Her eyes were wet, and a red mark was blooming on the side of her face.

“Yilina seems to think that you are with us,” Gorvan said. “Are you?”

He stared into Kelvaran's eyes, scrutinizing.

“It depends on what you mean by that,” Kelvaran said. “I don't care who runs Valesk. My life's work is the progress of Alchemy and science for the betterment of our people. If aiding you facilitates that, then I'm with you. I have no personal stake in your plans, but no objection either.”

He looked across the table again.

“I came back for Yilina.”

“Yilina wants to marry my son,” Gorvan said with a bit of a taunt in his voice.

“If it doesn't offend Your Highness,” he said, meeting Gorvan's eyes before turning a soft gaze to Yilina, “I hope to change her mind about that.”

“And if you can't?” Gorvan demanded.

Kelvaran put on a forlorn expression and looked away.

“I'm only being as honest with you as I can be,” he said sadly. “If she doesn't want me... I'm still here to serve her, to aid her in achieving her goals. If your goals are her goals, if the King's goals are her goals, then they are mine as well. Perhaps in time...”

He looked at Yilina and sighed heavily.

“Hmph,” Gorvan said, leaning back in his chair. “She says that you can retrieve my daughter. Let's hear it.”

“Lady Devratha is in love with me,” Kelvaran said dispassionately.

Gorvan laughed. “So I have heard. I thought I'd taught her better than that-”

“It can be used,” Kelvaran continued. “Let me return to Elisaen. I can draw her out.”

Gorvan's eyes narrowed skeptically.

“Seduce her?” he said. “She cannot be fooled. If you try to feign sentiment she will know.”

“I needn't do anything of the sort,” Kelvaran said. “I need only continue spurning her, as I have. Lady Devratha... is a fish more attracted to a moving lure than a still one.”

Gorvan threw back his head and laughed from his gut, slapping the table before him.

“Boy, you have a sharp mind. I think I'm glad you didn't die in that fire.”

Kelvaran clenched his jaw, but forced a smile.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” he said stoically.

Gorvan's skepticism returned. “Kazia will have told Caedra that you're with us now.”

“Mistress Thanelin thinks of me as a son,” Kelvaran said with an arrogant shake of his head. “It won't be hard to convince her that I only played along for my safety.”

“And what shall we say about your miraculous resurrection?”

“Caedra will already know that I'm alive,” Kelvaran said. “Tell His Majesty that I'm working for you and this was only a ruse we employed. At the earliest opportunity, I'll go to the capital to publicly swear to him. If the news goes public, say that Mistress Thanelin rescued me. ”

“Mistress Thanelin,” Gorvan sneered. “I should have killed her years ago.”

Kelvaran fought back another wave of anger and pressed on.

“I'll be risking my life in this mission, if my motives are discovered,” he added. “Is your daughter really worth retrieving?”

Gorvan brought a fist down on the table and Yilina jumped.

“My daughter is key to everything,” Gorvan said coldly.

He stared at Kelvaran for a long moment, then smiled.

“Your interest is the progress of Alchemy?” he said. “My Alchemists have devised the most important Artifact of our history. An assurance of peace and prosperity for the people of Valesk for all time. But Kazia's special skills are necessary to its completion.”

Kelvaran looked at Yilina and she returned a sly smile.

He leaned forward and excitedly said, “Tell me about this Artifact.”

“Bring my daughter to me,” Gorvan said, “and I'll put you on the project. Perhaps you can keep her compliant.”

“He will not disappoint you, Your Highness,” Yilina said.

“I should hope not,” Gorvan said to her before turning back to Kelvaran. “Yilina will pay for your failure, or for any betrayal. Are we clear?”

Yilina looked stricken as Kelvaran glanced at her before answering.

“I cannot guarantee success, of course,” he said, “but I can assure you that I am acting in good faith.”

“Hmph,” Gorvan said, regarding Kelvaran with a cold humor. “Are you certain you're not a politician? You can leave at the end of the week. I'll want some things in place before you go.”

“You'll need to bring her to Devratha Manor,” Yilina said. “Have you been there? I'll take you so you have a portal reference.”

“Details on your own time,” Gorvan said, waving a hand to the door. “Meratha, get out. Yilina, stay.”

Kelvaran rose and bowed.

“Your Highness,” he said, backing away before turning to leave.

He charged through the castle halls, intent on containing himself until he reached the privacy of his room, where he spent some considerable time vomiting before collapsing into bed until lunchtime.

~~~*~~~

 

4