V2Ch45: Disavowed
103 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Forty-Five

Disavowed

~*~

 

 

 

 

“You're awake?”

Yilina's raspy but chipper voice cut through the groggy state of Kelvaran's head. He sat up, pushing the blankets aside, and peered at her through sleep-crusted eyelashes. She looked exhausted.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I was hoping you could tell me,” she answered. “You passed out in front of Master Vlais. That was a day and a half ago.”

“No wonder I'm starving,” Kelvaran groaned along with his stomach.

“Did something go wrong with your concoction?” Yilina suggested.

No, it did its job, he thought. A bit too well.

“Maybe,” he said aloud. “I don't know how that could have happened, though.”

“Well, I'll dump that batch and you can try again,” she assured him.

Ugh, what a waste.

“Can you keep a few vials back? I'd like to analyze it.”

Yilina narrowed her eyes. “Do you suspect my Alchemists?”

He returned her expression. “Are your Alchemists suspicious?”

Yilina raised a hand and yawned lightly behind her fingers.

“Tired?” Kelvaran asked. He took her hand as she lowered it and gave it an affectionate squeeze.

“Well, I've been sitting here with you all this time, haven't I?” she complained. “You gave me quite a fright. The doctor said you had a stress episode or some such. Have things really been that bad?”

“Mm... from time to time,” he answered. He patted her hand and smiled. “But I feel much better now, don't worry about me.”

“Go clean up and dress and I'll order you a bite,” she said, rising from the bedside. “The Prince wants to see you when you're fit to be seen. He's holding Court now, so take your time. We've got a while.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

In the Great Hall, Gorvan sat in his high seat, a trestle desk strewn with documents before him. With Court in session, the Hall was more densely populated than Kelvaran had seen it before, with all of Gorvan's advisers and ministers filling the galleries. A few citizens were still awaiting their audience with the Prince, so Yilina led Kelvaran to the small fireside table, where a maid served them tea.

Across the Hall in the Alchemist's gallery, a young man left his seat and quietly made his way over to their table.

“Lord Meratha, I'm happy to see you well,” he said.

“Kel, do you remember Sir Kasvar Goska?” Yilina asked as they both rose to greet the young Alchemist. “He was a few years behind us at the Academy, and is now a junior assistant to Master Vlais.”

“I'm sorry to say I don't, but I'm happy to meet you,” Kelvaran said, shaking Sir Goska's hand while sizing him up.

He seemed a very friendly and enthusiastic fellow, but a member of Halany's clan working for Gorvan had probably been sent as a watchdog. He'd do very well to get on this young man's good side.

“Please, do have a seat,” Kelvaran invited.

“Master Vlais returned to the lab, but left me behind to conduct your examinations,” Sir Goska told them as Yilina poured him a cup of tea. “I must tell you that I always quite admired your talents back at school. I'll be thrilled to have you on our team if you're accepted.”

“I appreciate that, Sir Goska,” Kelvaran replied with a smile. “Can you tell me anything about what I'd be doing there?”

Sir Goska grinned and shook his head.

“I'm afraid that's all need-to-know until you're in,” he said. “Don't worry. From what I remember of you, I'm sure you'll be quite welcome.”

The Herald announced the end of Court as the last citizen petitioner left the Hall. The cavernous room was suddenly abuzz with conversation all around as the courtiers rose from their seats. Yilina nudged Kelvaran up to go speak with Gorvan, but as they made farewells to Sir Goska, a powerful burst of ethereal energy disturbed the air in the open central floor accompanied by a nimbus of flashing blue-white light.

The figure of a woman stood in the center of the Hall, her face half-veiled below a black velvet bonnet around her elaborately braided coiffure pinned with polished jet. She wore a luxurious sable cape, its high collar brushing her jawline, over a suit of fine, black silk taffeta, the multitude of overlapping layers of the skirt edged in ruffles of fine knife pleats and glinting with tiny, faceted jet beads.

Her blood-red stained lips curved into a cold smile as she raised her veil and surveyed the crowd with an imperious expression. Murmurs went through all the courtiers as they looked from her to Gorvan, who remained in his seat, tilting his head back to peer down his nose as guards filed up before him.

When she turned her uncovered face to Kelvaran, he gasped and shot up from his seat, while Yilina let out a short, derisive laugh that brought him to his senses before he could act rashly.

Kazia turned back to Gorvan, and raised her chin defiantly to meet his gaze.

“Father,” she said, her voice as icy and impassive as her soulless eyes. “You have taken something that belongs to me. I have come to retrieve it.”

Gorvan's glacial eyes narrowed, and his lips quirked into a haughty smile.

“Daughter,” he said, his tone languid and scornful. “Haven't you disavowed us? What could be here that you would lay claim to?”

Matching his arrogance, Kazia raised her chin further, her steely gaze locked upon Gorvan's as she stretched out a finger to point at Kelvaran.

“Him.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

Hello, Dear Reader!

With this post, we now head into the final arc of the story. It won't be finished terribly soon, but I can see land on the distant horizon. Thank you so much for coming along this far with me. You are all so appreciated!

Unfortunately, I have also come to the end of my pre-written chapters, so we are in first-draft territory from here on out. I have the story outlined in detail to the end, so as long as I can stay motivated and real life stays out of the way (fingers crossed) all should be well. I will apologize in advance for any posting delays, or for any inelegant prose lacking as much time as the beginning had for revisions. I intend to push through to the end, and then the whole thing will get a full edit.

Thanks again for reading, and for all your favorites and comments. They mean everything! ❤

3