V3Ch5: I Suppose It Is Time
91 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Five

I Suppose It Is Time

~*~

 

 

 

In the sitting area of Kazia's chamber, she lay wrapped in a fur blanket on a tufted velvet chaise, sipping tea while perusing the society pages of a newspaper. She didn't care much for the gossip, but as she'd been away for some time, it couldn't hurt to re-familiarize herself with the notable personalities. It was something to do, anyway.

For several days they had been left alone here in Kazia's room, only Avetya or an occasional maid appearing to attend to their needs. The first few days had been fraught. Kazia slept most of them away, any true rest disturbed by the pain of her injury and the anxiety of being here again. As she began to heal and adjust to the situation, though, the next days brought an almost cozy sense of domesticity.

Winter had graced Devratha with a final appearance, bringing a blast of cold with a gentle dusting of snow. The curtains had been drawn, and both of the room's fireplaces lit. They whiled away many quiet hours in the peace of each other's company; sharing meals, reading to each other, exchanging reminiscences of sledding or pond skating in the happier days of their early childhoods. It was nice for some time. Truthfully, though, the inactivity was beginning to wear on the both of them.

Kazia glanced over her page at Kelvaran's repeated tutting at the section of the newspaper he read in an armchair nearby. He snapped the page to fold it, laying it aside. At his feet, Byel raised his head with a whining yawn before laying it down again.

“This was once a respectable paper,” Kelvaran complained. “Now it's just a rag full of Halany's propaganda.”

Kazia frowned sympathetically.

“Anything interesting there?” Kelvaran asked, eyeing the section she held. Kazia turned over reports of balls and opera appearances to the pages of announcements: engagements, weddings, births, and obituaries.

“Only life proceeding apace, despite everything.”

She laid the paper down in her lap, then pulled the blanket back up where it had slipped off of her shoulder. She turned her gaze to the snowflakes drifting across the one window they'd left partially uncovered to let in a bit of dim morning light.

“When I was a child, and my mother was still alive, we had guests here often,” she said wistfully. “There were balls, and dinners, and weekend visitors.” She nodded at the paper. “Many of these girls would come with their parents. I can't say I got on especially closely with any of them, given my... oddity, but those were such better days than the confinement that life became after Mother was gone. They're all getting married now, and having children of their own. I wonder if I should send them my regards? I don't know if Gorvan plans to announce my return, or if I'll be kept secret.”

Kelvaran stared at the paper in Kazia's lap with a pensive expression.

“You've said before... that you never thought that was something you could have,” he said in a subdued voice. “Was it ever something you wanted, though?”

She pursed her lips, keeping her eyes on the window.

“It was always something I feared,” she replied. “Besides a fear of closeness with anyone due to the effects of my Empathy... I knew that Gorvan would never relinquish control of me. If I married, it would be his arrangement, with someone beholden to him.”

“Have your thoughts changed at all?” he asked.

She could hear the trepidation in his tone, and her heart warmed at it, even as it fluttered with her own hesitation.

“You brought Nereyna's dagger with you,” he continued. “I had wondered if it might mean...”

He trailed away when Kazia sighed, regarding him with a hint of guilt in her eyes.

“I thought I might need it to help manage the Portal,” she said. “I worried the Off-Switch might interfere with its requirements. I also knew how I would appear upon my arrival, and I wanted something to reassure you that I was still in there.”

Kelvaran swallowed thickly as he nodded in understanding. Kazia laid the paper aside and rose, dragging her blanket along with her. She leaned over Kelvaran's chair and kissed him softly.

“Take heart, Lord Meratha,” she whispered. “I am far too in love with you to put you off forever. Only allow me to come to it in my own time.”

He smiled, then grasped her blanket, intending to pull her down into his lap, but Kazia glanced meaningfully at the clock over the mantel, which told them that Avetya would soon arrive with their breakfast.

When Avetya did wheel her cart into the room, she found them both back on opposite sides of the sitting area, reading their papers while studiously ignoring one another.

Byel leapt to attention and followed the scent of bacon on the cart, happily snapping up small pieces that Avetya dropped to the floor for him as she laid out the table. Once finished, she turned to the awkwardly tense couple, her distrusting eyes narrowing on them.

“If you are well enough, Lady Devratha, His Highness wishes you both to join him for lunch today,” she informed them.

Kazia's eyes snapped up from her paper, then slid to Kelvaran briefly. She sighed as she nodded.

“I suppose it is time,” she assented. “And Lord Meratha will return to the lab today. I'm afraid my company is becoming quite tedious for him. Will that be allowed?”

She smiled at Kelvaran's questioning brow. Avetya visibly brightened, clearly thinking that perhaps Kazia was finally regaining her senses.

“With your permission of course, My Lady, Lord Meratha is free to move about as he pleases.”

“Only I am not?” Kazia laughed. Neither of the others joined in with her mirth.

“Do you know Abrizhen's schedule today?” she asked. “I think I might like a ride. I wonder if he might take me out.”

“In this snow?” Avetya hemmed. “Are you certain you're well enough for that?”

“There's barely a sprinkling,” Kazia said dismissively. “I'm quite well now, and it would be a good excuse to talk with Zhen alone.”

“But, you know how these light falls can flare unpredictably.”

Kazia carefully considered her words, then nodded. “You're right. Perhaps when there's better weather,” she conceded.

“Lord Devratha will be there for lunch,” Avetya assured her. “He'll be happy to see you.”

“But under Gorvan's watch...” Kazia groused. “I suppose it can't be helped for now.”

“I'll take Byel out while you eat, then come back to check your dressings.”

When Avetya had gone, Kelvaran rose and handed Kazia up from the chaise.

“Are you certain you're ready?” he asked with concern.

“The sooner we get started, the sooner we can get out of here,” Kazia asserted.

“I needn't go to the lab today, if you're anxious.”

“No, you must go find Yilina. She'll be eager for assurances. But move carefully today. Avetya was warning that Gorvan's mood might be tenuous.”

“When did she...?”

“We denizens of Devratha Manor have our ways of speaking,” Kazia said slyly. “You'll have to practice careful listening.”

“Probably good advice in any situation,” he agreed.

 

~~~*~~~

 

3