V2Ch32: Morning – pt3
105 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Thirty-Two

Morning

Part Three

~*~

 

 

 

 

Abrizhen limped into the dining room, shielding his eyes from the bright morning light streaming through the windows. Gorvan cast him a withering look as he slumped into the seat at his father's right hand. Across the table, Yilina stood and poured him a cup of coffee.

I take it you had a good night?” Gorvan said acerbically.

I told you a night out with the boys was what you needed,” Yilina said with a smile. “Aren't you happy to be home now?”

What has he got to be happy about?” Gorvan barked. “He failed miserably in Caedra. Now I have to depend on Godsdamned Kelvaran Meratha to get this done!”

Your Highness,” Yilina said in a gentle tone, stroking the back of his gnarled hand soothingly, “it isn't Abrizhen's fault that Lady Devratha is so intractable. Hasn't she always been so?”

What is this about Lord Meratha?” Abrizhen inquired, giving Yilina a puzzled expression.

She returned a warning glance and a slight shake of her head, mouthing Later.

Don't concern yourself,” Gorvan growled. “I wouldn't want to interfere with your busy schedule of drinking and passing out.”

You look dressed for outdoors,” Yilina said to Abrizhen, donning a suddenly cheerful face while eyeing his many layers of wool and leather. “Where are you going? I'll come along.”

The stables,” he replied. “I've got a few off-season foals coming and it's all very delicate. I'll be up to my elbows soon.”

Ugh!” Yilina exclaimed, gingerly setting down the fork she had just lifted.

Why the disgust?” Abrizhen asked with a smirk. “It pays your salary, doesn't it?”

Well, do carry on, then,” she conceded, “just don't invite me to watch.”

Yilina, darling,” Abrizhen sneered. “When have I ever invited you anywhere?”

That's enough,” Gorvan warned. “Any interesting news from last night?”

Loads,” Abrizhen said, becoming increasingly animated now. “Mikhatym Yldratha is looking for a wife. It seems his mother thinks she's not long for this world and wants him settled before she kicks off.

Despite ostensibly being my date, Yilina spent the whole evening throwing herself at Prince Goskatha, along with half the women invited for Mikhatym to meet.

Then, Pavsika Urska and Serga Vysda wore gowns of the same fabric and are now no longer speaking, but there are also whispers about Pavsika and Serga's husband, so that could be the real problem –

Oh! and Halany plans to institute blood succession and make Yegaran his heir to the throne, cutting you out of the line.”

Gorvan stared at him with cold malice.

Do you think this is a joke?” he asked calmly, his eyes daring Abrizhen to answer.

How is that remaking of Valesk working for you?” Abrizhen muttered.

Yilina, bring my son for training after dinner tonight,” Gorvan said, his eyes steadily boring into Abrizhen.

Yilina threw a frightened glance at Abrizhen.

Your Highness... things may begin moving swiftly. We'll need him fit for service.”

Gorvan swept his icy blue gaze around to her.

How was your reconnaissance last night?” he asked her. “Are these rumors confirmed?”.

Yegaran seems to think so,” she said. “He's far too stupid and arrogant to keep his mouth shut about it.”

You both knew about this?” Abrizhen asked, sitting upright in his chair, his gaze sharpening as he looked from one to the other.

What did you hear?” Yilina replied.

Zevram Yldra said he overheard some of Yegaran's crowing. Kirisliy Vysdatha thought it serious enough to tell you.”

He glanced at his father with a bit of humility.

And no, I don't think it's a joke,” he said sincerely. “Not at all.”

Any word from Meratha?” Gorvan inquired.

He's due to report in a few days,” Yilina answered. “If there's no result I'll see if I can't speed things along.”

See that you do,” Gorvan said menacingly, “or I'll give you both some incentive.”

Yilina blanched, while Abrizhen leaned forward in interest.

Really, what is going on?” he asked.

Meratha is with us now,” Gorvan said. “I'll let Yilina explain, if she dares.”

Your Highness,” Yilina said plaintively, then leaned forward to look at Abrizhen with contrition. “He's still in love with me,” she said, shaking her head as if to brush off the notion. “And he wants to come back to Valesk and rejoin society.”

Are you giving up on me, then?” Abrizhen asked.

One could only hope.

Of course not,” she said. “I'm just... keeping him on my string. Until he brings your sister back here.”

Abrizhen froze. “How... how will he do that?”

That's a very long story,” Yilina answered. “Too long for the breakfast table. Go see about at your horses and I'll...” She looked at Gorvan deferentially. “Do you still want to see him this evening, Your Highness?” she asked.

Gorvan stared hard at Abrizhen for a long moment.

Just stay out of my way for a few days,” he muttered gruffly. “And don't disappoint me again.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

3