V2Ch33: Do They Think We Are Fools?
106 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Thirty-Three

Do They Think We Are Fools?

~*~

 

 

 

On a rainy afternoon, Kazia and Kelvaran sat at opposite ends of a long table in the Great Hall.

Valesk had finally offered a candidate for Ambassador and the full court assembled to interview her for approval. Queen Inaissa had asked her two Valeskan Alchemists to attend - Kazia to feel the candidate out in her own way, and Kelvaran to give his informed opinions. Although Kelvaran now had the means to read ethereal energy for emotions and had become quite practiced at it in the past two weeks, it was a task still better left to Kazia's expertise.

On the opposite side of the Hall, the numerous retinue of Valeskan Embassy staff sat around the candidate, all glaring daggers at the two of them. Only Halany and his immediate conspirators knew that Kelvaran was ostensibly working for them now. To everyone else in Valesk, Kelvaran Meratha was still a traitor, and Kazia as well, for their defection and cooperation with Caedra. Rumors flew about his intent in returning to Valesk at the time that he was almost killed by Yilina Vysda. Spying? Stirring trouble?

Kelvaran returned their glares with a smug expression.

Exactly, he thought back at them.

He only wished that Kazia could be spared their naked malice.

He couldn't help an occasional furtive glance at her down the table. Although he was careful to keep his expression neutral, he worried at her pale and drawn face, and noticed how she surreptitiously rubbed a finger at her temples.

As the assembly seemed close to winding down for the day, he saw her whisper to Amelys, then stand and quickly leave the hall. After a few minutes, he rose as well and made his way down the row only to be met with an admonishing eye from Amelys, who gestured him to sit in Kazia's empty chair.

When he obeyed, Amelys leaned to whisper to him, “Let her be.”

“Is she-?”

“We'll talk in the tower,” Amelys replied. “Hush now.”

Although they had been inseparable during their off-hours, they had agreed to avoid each other in public, lest Valesk have further eyes on them. Even so, there had been several occasions at meetings or other group gatherings when one of them had suddenly begged leave with a flimsy excuse, only to be followed shortly after by the other with an even flimsier excuse, prompting Amelys to roll her eyes at Brandra, muttering, “Do they think we are fools?”

With the interview concluded, Kelvaran respectfully walked Amelys across the bailey toward the tower, managing the large umbrella for her, but he couldn't conceal his anxiety and impatience as she seemed to be in no hurry.

“Kel,” she warned, “I meant it... let her be for now.”

“I'll just go see if she needs anything...” he replied.

“She needs to be left alone,” Amelys said sternly. “Kel, if this is going to work for the long term, you will have to accept that there will be times like this, when she needs some time with no one else in her head for a while. Weren't you concerned about hurting her before?”

His face darkened.

“Yes, you're right. I just... I'm worried about tomorrow. I don't know why Gorvan wants to see me. Something is brewing, and Yilina won't say what. I think this new Ambassador is suspicious. The timing is suspicious. Did you see how many Alchemists were among the Embassy staff?”

“I recognized most of them,” Amelys said. “None have any accomplishments to mention, but all are Martial-level energy wielders. Perhaps it was meant to be a show of force. At least the nomination of a new Ambassador may indicate that Valesk isn't withdrawing from the Treaties just yet.”

“Or meant to intimidate Kazia,” Kelvaran said. “Or it's all a distraction, diverting our attention from something else.”

“Anything is possible,” Amelys agreed. “We'll remain vigilant. And don't worry about Kazia.” She patted his arm affectionately. “She won't let you go without seeing you. She'll come find you when she's ready.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

 

 

3