V1Ch15: Were You Close?
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Fifteen

Were You Close?

~*~

 

 

Queen Inaissa had delayed the Valeskan Embassy by a number of weeks, hoping to be better informed of their intentions before she received them, but any information had been locked up tightly against her spies.

The day that they finally came to court found Kazia hiding in her laboratory, pretending to work. She really did intend to work, but her eyes glazed over and she stared into space for long moments. Even she couldn't say what she'd been thinking about once she snapped out of it.

She wanted to go to Amelys' garden, but wouldn't risk being seen on the walk. She considered asking Tamyn to take her there by portal.

He had been in the Artifact storeroom all morning, examining items whose documentation was missing. When a loud crash from that direction roused Kazia from one of her reveries, she went to investigate.

She found him picking up a fallen easel. An Artifact sat on a table in the aisle nearby, and pencil drawings of Artifacts were scattered everywhere.

"Is everything alright?" she asked.

She began to pick up the nearest drawings while he righted the easel. All that Kazia read from him was a profound sense of frustration and embarrassment.

Recently, he had seemed better able to control his internal state. On several occasions that Kazia looked for him, his apprentices told her that he had gone to the top of the tower, where the Queen's Alchemists kept a Temple of Contemplation.

"It's fine," he said in a tone that implied that it was not actually fine. Then he laughed softly. "I'm just a bit clumsy today."

Kazia looked at the drawings as she picked them up.

"Did you do all the sketches on the documentation packets?" she asked.

He nodded in reply.

"You're very good," she said with a smile.

"It's a hobby, mostly," Tamyn replied modestly, "but it does have a few useful applications. I'm sketching all these orphan Artifacts so that we at least have a visual record of them."

Kazia handed him the stack of drawings she had retrieved from the floor.

"The light isn't good in here," she said. "You could bring them into the lab if you'd like. I can open the window."

Tamyn nodded in agreement and Kazia returned to the lab. The large window overlooked the inner bailey, though, and upon drawing back the curtains she saw that the Valeskan entourage had arrived.

Her eyes were drawn immediately to the figure of her brother, Lord Abrizhen Devratha, standing outside his carriage waiting for everyone else to disembark.

Kazia held her breath.

She hadn't seen him since leaving Valesk five years prior. In her childhood, he had been one of the few kind people in her life, although he'd been away from home most of the time. Later, he had clearly sided with their father, drawing an unmovable line between them.

She stared for what seemed an eternity as memories she would rather push aside threatened to come forward.

She really wanted to go to the garden.

Soft footsteps came behind her, and suddenly her daze was interrupted by an onslaught of external agony.

Tamyn had come to stand beside her at the window. As he stared out into the bailey, his lips pressed together in a hard line and his breath sounded with a forced evenness. His emotions flared and scattered as they had that night at the University.

Kazia began to regret inviting him into the lab. She returned to her work table and stared at the project laying unattended there.

Tamyn turned away from the window.

"You know, I think," he said, rubbing at a spot between his eyebrows, "I think I'll continue this tomorrow. I'm just not in the right frame of mind today."

"You're welcome anytime," Kazia said absently, not lifting her eyes from the Artifact before her.

Tamyn made a show of packing his things together, although he'd already done that to bring them in from the storeroom. He glanced at Kazia several times in hesitation, then took a deep breath.

"Will you see your brother while he's here?" he asked with a feigned cheerfulness.

Kazia froze, then she shook her head slightly.

"I've been told there should be no need," she answered dismissively, "Unless something emergent needs my input, I shouldn't be called into court."

Tamyn nodded, but he stopped fussing with his supplies and gave Kazia a serious look.

"He and I were in University here together," he suddenly said, obviously trying to sound as naturally conversational as he could, but the words came out in a rush.

Kazia looked up sharply, her lips slowly opening as the pieces of Tamyn's mystery suddenly began fitting together. His heart ached so deeply that Kazia felt it in her own, and she pressed a hand to her chest as she peered up at him, intensely curious.

He gave her a nervous smile.

"He used to talk about you all the time," he said sadly.

"Were you close?" she asked softly.

Tamyn's smile turned slightly bitter, a bit more forced than it had already been.

"It was a long time ago," he answered quietly. "But I remember how he would always buy sweets and little toys to take home to you."

He raised his eyes toward the door into Kazia's apartment.

"Things like that doll in your sitting room."

Kazia's breath caught. She turned her face away from him, looking toward the door herself, then closed her eyes.

"I know that your family is... difficult," Tamyn said in a gentle tone. "I'm not saying you should run down there and embrace him, but you do have an opportunity now that may not come again. Especially if things keep moving in their current direction."

He gathered all of his things up then and moved to the door.

"Just consider it."

Kazia stared at the door for a long time after it closed behind him.

Oh, Tamyn..., she thought. That seems to be something you should consider.

~~~*~~~

Late in the afternoon, Kazia was summoned to meet with Mistress Amelys. She was escorted to a small conference room where she found Queen Inaissa seated at the head of a table, flanked by Amelys and Kelvaran.

"There are two items to discuss," said the Queen. "The first being that Ambassador Sobin will retire soon, and has nominated Lord Devratha to replace him. I'd like your opinion, Lady Devratha."

Kazia was shocked.

"The heir of a Principality serving as Ambassador?" she asked, incredulous. "That's..."

"Unusual, yes," the Queen replied, "and we do expect that the appointment is meant to unsettle you."

Kazia chewed on this for a few moments before replying.

"Actually, I think it's a good idea. You should approve it."

She received looks of surprise from everyone present.

"Your Majesty, not to insult my brother, but he is a man of... weak will. Given some time away from Gorvan and closer to me, I think there's a small chance that I could persuade him to see things our way."

Kelvaran scoffed, and Amelys shot him a reprimanding glance.

The Queen silently considered, gazing at Kazia a bit skeptically.

"He and I once had a good relationship," Kazia continued. "As I said, it's a small chance, but I do think the chance exists."

"Or a chance for you to more easily collude with him?" Kelvaran said.

"Lord Meratha!" Amelys warned. "I invited you into this meeting on the condition that you keep your mouth shut."

Kelvaran sat back in his chair and glared at the table.

"Lady Devratha, you may want to hear the second item before you affirm your answer to the first," the Queen said, giving a nod to Amelys.

"Of course, Valesk came today to demand that we hand you over to them," Amelys said. "We expected that. They have accused me of abducting you."

"Of course they have," Kazia said.

Amelys breathed deeply before continuing.

"Today your brother has made several unsavory claims about you. Namely, that you are mentally unstable and prone to violent outbursts, a danger to yourself and others. He is making the case that you should be returned to your family to be... treated for this condition."

Kazia's eyes widened.

"You don't believe this, Your Majesty?"

"Of course not," said the Queen. "Mistress Amelys would never bring such a person into my castle. I see through these ridiculous claims, although a few members of the court may be swayed. Not to worry, they are not enough to turn a vote. I would ask, though, if you would like to appear in court to defend yourself? It's not necessary, but you do have the option."

"No," Kazia said. "If it's not necessary then no, but..."

"Speak freely."

"I would like to speak with Abrizhen privately."

"That is not advisable," Kelvaran said.

"Lord Meratha..." Amelys said.

Kelvaran slapped the table lightly.

"Putting aside my own suspicions," he argued, "so many defectors have been assassinated recently. Would you leave one alone with a Valeskan agent?"

"They clearly want me alive," Kazia said, shaking her head, "but we could meet in the bailey park if you all feel better about it, with guards nearby. He wouldn't dare... well, I'm sure he wouldn't anyway."

Queen Inaissa looked at Amelys, who nodded her approval.

"Very well then," she said. "Lady Devratha, would you be prepared to meet him this afternoon? I can summon him now."

"I may as well, while my courage is up," Kazia replied. "And I still think you should approve his appointment. Even if I can't turn him, maybe I can at least find out why they want me so badly. As Lord Meratha just mentioned, other defectors have been assassinated. Why do they need me returned alive?"

"I'll go arrange it now," said the Queen.

Everyone rose from their seats along with her, bowing their heads as she left.

"Are you sure about this, Kazia?" Amelys asked.

"Yes," she answered through clenched teeth.

There was a hot anger rising in her chest as she thought about the things Abrizhen had said to the court.

"Yes, I have more than a few questions for my dear brother."

 

~~~*~~~

 

 

4