V1Ch25: Is That Why You’re Sad? – pt2
105 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Twenty~five

Is That Why You're Sad?

Part Two

~*~

 

 

“Halany will certainly move to withdraw Valesk from the Treaties soon,” Amelys said as Kazia refilled both of their wine glasses.

“Is there nothing the Noble Council can do?” Kazia asked before continuing with her dinner.

Amelys had a sip of wine and shook her head as she replaced her glass on the table.

“He has now bribed enough, and imprisoned enough who wouldn't be bought,” she said.

Kazia put down her fork.

“Is Valesk lost, then?”

“Not quite, not yet. We still have a few irons in the fire. Speaking of, not that I brought you out to discuss Kelvaran, I did not, but have you any progress on his Artifact?”

“I'm afraid it's come to a halt,” Kazia said. “Whatever your plans for it, you may need to reassess.”

“I see,” Amelys said. “That's too bad. Although to be honest, the plan was not my favorite. Now, I know you've been working hard, but are you also resting? Pursuing any other pastimes? I shouldn't like it if you were wearing yourself out.”

“Reading a bit,” Kazia said. “I never really developed any other pastimes. The work was always enough to hold my interest.”

Amelys nodded. “And have things been peaceful enough for you? No trouble from anyone?”

“I thought we weren't discussing Lord Meratha,” Kazia said with a wry smile.

“Has he troubled you further?”

“No, Mistress. I haven't seen him since-“

Her memory drifted back to that moment when she...

“Alright, Kazia?” Amelys said, seeing Kazia's expression darken. “We needn't speak of it.”

“I kissed him,” Kazia said.

“Oh?” Amelys responded, putting down her own fork now.

“I was getting lost in the truth spell, trying too hard to resist speaking. He kept asking me what I wanted...”

Kazia sighed heavily.

“...and that is what I wanted.”

“I see,” Amelys said. “Should I not have ordered him to stay away?”

“No, Mistress, that was right. The very idea is clearly laughable, and the sooner I put this foolishness aside all the better.”

“Is it foolishness, though? I've often wondered if some of his hostility toward you wasn't an avoidance of other sentiments.”

“He thought I was trying to trick him.”

“Yes,” Amelys agreed. “He would think so. Still-”

“And isn't there already... the name in that watch. I assume Yilina is someone important to him.”

Amelys glared through narrowed eyes.

“That... is something best left to lie,” she said sourly. “Hardly worth a mention.”

“You can't mean to encourage this, surely,” Kazia added with some exasperation. “I have accepted that I can't live normally, as a normal woman would. Abrizhen was right about that. There's no way anyone would want me if they knew the truth, and I have to medicate myself to even bear the presence of others. I can't have what others have, and certainly not with someone so full of thorns as Kelvaran Meratha.”

“Kazia, my darling girl,” Amelys said. “You are far too young to believe your future carved in stone. You may be right about Kel, but you may yet find someone of a gentler temperament who would suit you.”

“Well,” Kazia answered, ”let's first ensure that the world doesn't descend into chaos, and I'll worry about that later.”

“Agreed.”

~~~*~~~

Late in the evening, Kelvaran and Tamyn emerged from portals into the alley behind the House of Stelenis.

Tamyn knocked on the back door, but when Didia opened it, she looked worried and stepped out instead of inviting them in.

“Lord Meratha,” she said in a hushed voice, “your guests are upstairs, but...”

She cast a nervous glance at Tamyn.

“Ab... Lord Devratha is here again. I assume you wouldn't want him to know about your business here tonight. It should be fine, I've been stashing him in the small banquet room these days, but you'll probably want to take your guests away quickly.”

Tamyn's brows furrowed. “Is he...”

“Drunk, yes,” Didia said matter-of-factly. “But quiet. Just occupying my banquet room. All night. Again.”

“Didia, take Lord Meratha upstairs,” Tamyn said. “I'll keep an eye on things down here.”

He looked to Kelvaran, who nodded in agreement.

“Bring some coffee when you're finished there?” he added to Didia.

“You don't have to deal with him,” Didia said.

“It's fine, but let's go quickly.”

“Thank you again for facilitating, Master Ilianus,” Kelvaran said with a nod as Didia opened the door and waved them through.

“I'm happy to have been some help,” Tamyn replied.

They followed Didia through the busy kitchen to a corridor, where they must pass the private banquet rooms to reach the stairwell to the second floor, where the restaurant had a number of overnight guest rooms.

Tamyn paused outside the door to the smaller of the two banquet rooms and listened carefully before waving the others along with a hurried gesture. He stayed behind while Didia led Kelvaran on to the stairwell.

As they climbed the stairs together, Kelvaran said, “Mrs. Stelenis, you and Master Ilianus seem very familiar with Lord Devratha.”

“Well...” Didia replied hesitantly, “...Zhen used to be a regular here when he was a student. I think he's a bit nostalgic for the past now that he's come back to the city.”

“Has he been here often?”

“Several times these past few weeks.” She sighed heavily. “I get to know a lot of these students. These kids all arrive so fresh and bright-faced. It can be truly heartbreaking to see them again later if things haven't worked out for them.”

“We've put you in a tight spot,” Kelvaran said. “My apologies. Tonight was an emergent situation, but if the Valeskan ambassador is frequenting, then we probably shouldn't use your inn for these activities.”

“I'm more than happy to do my part,” Didia answered, “but I'll have to agree. Here you are.”

They had reached a door at the far end of the upstairs corridor and Didia knocked and then took her leave.

Eaphan opened the door to admit Kelvaran into the room.

He was there with a very pale, red haired woman who looked utterly exhausted, having ridden horseback nonstop across Northern Caedra to arrive in Elisaen.

She was a Valeskan scientist, now a refugee fleeing roundups in her native country.

“I'm sorry I couldn't retrieve you directly, Madame,” Kelvaran said sincerely.

She waved him off.

“You couldn't have known,” she said. “They came so fast.”

“I'm sorry we can't let you rest,” he said. “A situation has arisen downstairs and it isn't safe here. To Thalesia, then?”

She nodded. “I have some family there already.”

“Have you traveled by portal before?” Eaphan asked her.

“We'll have to make the trip in a few legs,” Kelvaran said, “so it could be a bit bumpy for you.”

“I'm eager enough to get this behind me,” she sighed.

Kelvaran gave her a grim smile and, taking her hand, moved toward the door.

“Thank you, again, Kel,” Eaphan said. “Sorry again for the rush.”

Kelvaran just gave him a nod, and the two vanished.

 

~~~*~~~

 

 

4