V1Ch33: Do You Find This Amusing?
108 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Thirty~three

Do You Find This Amusing?

~*~

 

 

Master Giao took his leave, and Kazia picked the battery up from its table to reattach it to the transmitter.

It felt heavy when she lifted it, and her legs were a bit shaky from running up all the stairs twice.

Wavering, she bumped against the portal, and fell forward hard onto the grass of the bailey again.

“Lady Devratha?” said a familiar voice.

Kazia looked up to find herself sprawled at the feet of Sir Palanaida, Amelys, and Kelvaran.

“Wherever did you come from?” Eaphan said with delighted surprise.

“Is that my battery?” Kelvaran said darkly.

“It is,” Kazia replied, sitting up.

“Shouldn't it be attached to my transmitter?”

“Yes,” Kazia answered. “I was just... trying something.”

“May I, Lady Devratha?” Eaphan said, offering a hand to Kazia.

He helped her up off the ground as Amelys shot Kelvaran a disappointed glance.

“Are you alright? Not hurt I hope,” Eaphan added.

“Not at all, thank you,” Kazia said, brushing her skirt down. “I appear to be in one piece.”

“This is strangely serendipitous, Lady Devratha. I had intended to find you. I am opening an exhibit tomorrow evening at the University Archive, and thought it might be of interest to you. I had hoped you would consider joining me.”

“Oh,” Kazia answered.

She felt a shy hope fluttering in his chest and her eyes widened as she realized what he was asking her.

“Oh...Sir Palanaida, you are too kind, but I have been thoroughly engrossed in some very sensitive work of late. I don't know that I'll be able to lay it aside so soon.”

She felt a wave of irritation from Kelvaran, but brushed it aside.

“That is unfortunate, for me at least. Perhaps another evening? The exhibit will run for some time, only there's a reception for the opening tomorrow.”

“Perhaps another evening,” Kazia said. “But please do tell me about the exhibit.”

“It is a timeline of scientific progress, from magic into modern science, beginning with very early folk magic, to the formalization of Alchemy, into today's pure science.”

“That does indeed sound fascinating.”

“Well, if you change your mind, just give them my name at the door and you will be admitted. I must take my leave of you now. Lord Meratha has graciously lent me a few Artifacts for the exhibit and I must go get them on display. Good day to you all.”

“Good day, Sir Palenaida, and thank you for the kind invitation,” Kazia answered.

She smiled and gave a short laugh as she turned to the others.

“I'm very sorry, Mistress, for my entrance.”

“Do you find this amusing?” Kelvaran asked, “Popping up unexpectedly?”

Kazia shrugged.

“A bit amusing, perhaps.”

“I seem to recall you being just as giddy when you learned to cast a portal,” Amelys said to Kelvaran.

“If you are finished with my battery, I'll take it now,” he answered.

“In fact, Master Giao has given me an idea for your transmitter that I intend to try straight away,” she retorted. “So I will keep the battery for now, if you don't mind.”

“You've been working too hard, my dear,” Amelys said. “You should accept Sir Palanaida's invitation. Go have a bit of fun.”

Kazia felt a tiny twinge of jealousy flow from Kelvaran. He was strangling it back though, refusing to acknowledge it.

Surely that was about the portal, as Master Giao had said.

“Perhaps I will,” Kazia answered. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a number of stairs to climb. Again.”

 

 

“If Lady Devratha has a new lead,” Kelvaran asked, “shouldn't she be encouraged to pursue it as soon as possible rather than wasting time on... frivolity?”

“Kazia's situation causes her to keep much to herself, but I am sure that is not how she would choose to live otherwise. I like to encourage her to explore her options from time to time-”

“We need that Artifact,” he interjected.

“-unless you would prefer she continue to entertain her current sentiments.”

Kelvaran stared into the distance for a long moment.

“Mistress, what are you playing at?” he said finally.

“Only testing a few theories,” Amelys answered. “Isn't that what we Alchemists do?”

 

 

Once in the tower, Kazia asked a castle page to carry the battery up to her lab, then made a stop to see Madame Brandra.

“Would you have some time to spare?” Kazia asked her. “I could use some trusted help for a task if you'll accompany me upstairs.”

“Of course, my dear,” she answered, “but where is Miss Gewalt? Not unwell I hope?”

“No, I gave her leave today. I've been working with Master Giao on the portal, and thought it best that Neiphi should not be privy to certain circumstances of that.”

“Yes, that's probably best,” Brandra agreed.

“Madame Brandra, what would one wear to an evening reception at the University?”

“Oh, are you attending one?”

“I'm undecided,” Kazia said. “I've been invited by Sir Palanaida. He's putting on an exhibit and the opening reception is tomorrow evening.”

“Oh, Sir Palanaida?” Brandra said, delighted. “I've met him. He is quite lovely. Do you think he likes you, then?”

“There does seem to be an interest.”

“Don't you already have a... distraction, though?”

“One I could use distraction from,” Kazia said ruefully, and Brandra laughed.

“Indeed,” she agreed.

“Is that not unfair to Sir Palanaida, though? I shouldn't like to be a disappointment to him. I really have no business putting myself forward, for reasons other than... my distraction.”

“Nonsense,” Brandra said. “This is how young people assess one another. Spend some time, enjoy the company, chat about those interests you find in common, and assess. You never know.”

“He really is lovely,” Kazia admitted, to Brandra's mirth. They reached the laboratory and Kazia brought a chair around for Brandra.

“Anyway,” Brandra continued, “Such an event wouldn't be too formal. Your dinner dress should do. You should have Neiphi help you dress.”

“Neiphi is my Apprentice, not my lady's maid,” Kazia said as she opened a drawer to retrieve a syringe handle. “And I can manage the dinner dress on my own.”

“Well, let me come and help you with your hair,” Brandra replied.

“What's wrong with the way I do it?” Kazia protested, withdrawing a long needle from a jar of alcohol and fitting it to the syringe.

“Nothing at all, dear,” Brandra said, “just that another pair of hands couldn't hurt. You'll want to look your best for a night out.”

Kazia sat across from Brandra and handed her the syringe.

“What's this then?” Brandra said as Kazia began to roll up one sleeve.

“I need to do a blood draw, and if I try to manage it with one hand I'll bruise myself. You don't mind, do you?”

She wrapped a length of rubber around her arm and tied it off tightly.

Brandra felt as if she'd been tricked.

“Oh, very well, give me your arm,” Brandra sighed and Kazia winced as the draw began.

“Are you designing your own Artifact, then?” Brandra asked. “I wondered when you might get around to that.”

“No,” Kazia said, “It's for the transmitter.”

“Kazia!” Brandra chided. “I was never very accomplished as an Alchemist, but I see what you mean to do. I thought we were distracting you from that distraction?”

“Yes, but Mistress Amelys has pressed the need for this Artifact, so I must try everything, mustn't I?”

“I suppose you must,” Brandra conceded.

She withdrew the syringe and Kazia removed the tourniquet and replaced it with a bandage, then straightened her sleeve.

“Thank you, Madame Brandra,” Kazia said.

“Yes, yes,” Brandra said. “Next time don't trick me into it with talk of boys and clothes.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

 

4