Chapter 22: Tina and Aema Have a Little Alone Time
4.3k 8 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A crossbow bolt soars through the air backed by a golden trail of burning light. The source is Aldue, cupping a crimson hand crossbow in his hand. Zeruna looks to Aldue, glaring. She then turns her attention to the crossbow bolt moving slowly towards Aema. To someone as fast as herself, such speeds are pitiful.

Just Zeruna reaches for the bolt she stops and watches Aema move out of the path of the bolt. The bolts hits the wall with a ping and falls to the ground harmlessly. Zeruna picks up the bolt and receives a trivial electric shock. The attack is pitifully weak. Aldue stands there unmoving, he never anticipated that this 'Aema' was that fast.

It takes a few moments for Aema to even realise what she did, she looks at her hands then to Zeruna who merely replies with a shrug. Her vision then turns down to Aldue, who frantically makes a mad dash for the door. The High Human suddenly appears in front of the Vampire and places her hand on his shoulder, cracking the stone ground beneath Aldue's feet.

"Please, I don't want to hurt you," utters Aema softly.

Aldue narrows his eyes, "For Caspian, I'll send his mistress to heaven with him!"

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a metal dagger before swinging it into Aema's temple with the intent to kill. Blood flies into the air. The blade snaps on impact with Aema's skull, not even leaving a single mark on Aema's skin. Confused, Aema looks to the ground to see an arm, Aldue's arm and the broken tip of the blade.

Behind Aldue is Zeruna, one of her blades sticking out her arm and doused in a thick crimson liquid.

"Aema, me and this man will be gone for a second, please standby with Tina," states Zeruna calmly.

"Where are we going?" babbles Aldue, his arm's wound already starting to seal over.

"You're going to tell me what is causing this localised wave, then, you have my permission to die," a thick aura crawls from Zeruna and begins to strangle Aldue. "You have crossed the line, and for attempting to kill Aema twice, you will die."

"Never!"

Zeruna's eyes ominously glow purple as they disappear leaving Tina and Aema with themselves. Aema looks to Tina, surprised, scared and confused at what transpired.

'I didn't know I have such superhuman abilities. Those voices was right when it said I'd have an overwhelming advantage over the residents of this fantasy world. Maybe I should've written my opposing characters to be stronger. That Zeruna impersonator/the person who created her, she's way too similar to the original I wrote — it's scary. I wonder if she met the voices too when she transmigrated. Probably not since I was told I couldn't tell anyone about it.

I wanted a happy-go-lucky reincarnation but looks like I'm going to be strung along with Zeruna and Tina who is somehow alive. About Tina too. I barely touched on the Children of Chaos in my book. I only mentioned their abilities and race which took around a sentence or two.'

"So," Tina says suddenly. "How did you meet Zeruna exactly?"

'The plot of my story and the game Chroniks are different, looks like I'll have to either avoid the question or make up a touching tale. I'll go for avoiding, I need time to come up with a compelling plot and I don't know enough about the inconsistencies enough.'

"I don't exactly want to talk about it," replies Aema. "It is something that we promised to keep secrets as kids."

"Kids, you say?" Tina mutters. "It doesn't chronologically line up. The high humans disappeared millennia ago. How would one such as yourself be here at this time and not with the rest of you kind?"

"It isn't the first time I've been trapped in a crystal."

"You must've also been in Zeruna's village of Fenir. Where I moved to when I was fifty. Yet, no one spoke your existence."

"We spoke in private, only she knew of my existence in the village. And Zeruna didn't grow up in Fenir, she grew up in Thuridan. You're testing me aren't you? For what reason do you have to suspect me?"

"Perhaps I am, subconsciously," Tina says as she turns away. "You must know what your society was like, right? I've seen the ruins of the cities, marvellous pieces of construction. You parents must have told you things too."

"Alas, I was too young to retain their stories, and now I'm too old to remember their words," Aema replies confidently, but internally, she's starting to panic. "As for are society, I was but a toddler when it was around, memory is hazy."

"That does make sense," Tina eyes still stay locked on Aema. "Why were you sealed in that crystal?"

"Circumstances... look, I'm a good friend of you master," says Aema, "I feel like you're not doing this out of curiosity."

'This is my fault for writing Tina as someone who gets suspicious of others. I should probably shut her down with her past that I ever so briefly mentioned. Now that I think about it, this Zeruna's experience in Chroniks is like a more fleshed-out version of my book. That's is probably where the small inconsistencies derive from — my own shitty writing. 

I need to be careful not to let anything slip. I was way too reckless when I first awakened. Such stupidity will get me outed, I may even take down my new friend with me if I'm not careful. We have much in common and much not in common.'

"You're very inquisitive, aren't you?" responds Aema. "Don't suppose you'll exposit your history with Zeruna."

"Maybe when I come to trust you, if I ever," replies Tina.

There's another silence.

'This is going to be a long wait.'

A bit of a rushed and short chapter but I wanted to see if I can squeeze another upload in before I go again. 

87