Something is amiss here
83 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hi..." Loki was nervous when put before his fiancee. He only knew from the memories of the guy before him that she was the heir to a fortune equal to this own. His parents planned this marriage as a mutually beneficial exchange. That's at least what Loki's past host knew of the situation.

The lady was very forceful in the way she spoke," I don't care what you do or say."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I'm here because we need to finalize the marriage. Now stop wasting time and just sign the goddamn papers." She threw a stack of papers out into Loki's lap. Loki's tan hand thumbed through the multitude of pages while his light eyes scanned the "book" for anything that screamed bad deal.

"I'm going to need time to read over this completely." 'I need to stall.' He put the papers down and matched eyes with the girl's dark eyes. They were filled with unhidden fury, her emotions were laid out in her tone and on her sleeve.

"No!" She proceeded to pull out a pen and throw it at him.

"You will be signing that agreement before you leave."

"I don't have any say in this matter?" He spun the pen in his hand while he leaned back in the chair. Besides his initial words, Loki hid the nerves he was experiencing and put on the face fitting to a young master.

"No, you don't."

The room then went silent neither of them expressing their terms. Loki had held a calm expression as he tried to come to terms with the situation he had been thrown into. While in contrast, his fiancee was fidgetting in her seat with her eyes constantly darting towards the clock.

"In a rush to be somewhere?" Loki questioned, his lips curved into a smirk.

"No, I can be here all day." She denied his allegations, clearing the jitters from her face.

"Glad to hear." He sat up and placed the pen on the table between them. He stood up from his chair and walked over to a bookshelf behind her.

"I know nothing about you and you nothing about me. So allow us to get to know one another." He pulled a book from the shelf, on the side read, "Antony and Cleopatra".

"Why would we need to get to know each other! We are married by name only." She protested, her dark eyes only grew darker.

"You ever read this play?" He asked, he heard her protests but he wasn't in a place to back down.

"Who cares about some stupid play!" She shouted vehemently against whatever he was about to say.

"This is why I don't wish to marry you." He sighed, distraught at her reaction to him not fawning over her.

"How dare you! You think I wish to marry you?" She retorted, his voice laced with venom.

"Then why not call it off?" He suggested a knowing smirk spread across his face.

"Because what I think doesn't matter!" She almost sounded sad.

"We are getting nowhere. I don't want this marriage. You don't want this marriage. So, let's start at the beginning. I'm Loki Scofield."

"I don't care! None of this matters! Just sign the papers so we can both be on our ways!" She sounded impatient, aggressive and strangely depressed.

She didn't reply further for a while to which Loki didn't care. He opened the book and began to read giving her all the time she needed. There were multiple times during the silence that she would begin biting her fingernails. The room stayed like that for a long while, the only sound being the flipping of pages.

She took a deep breath and gave in to his request, "Lucia Doil, happy?"

He smiled the first genuine smile of this life, "If you could travel anywhere, in the world, where would it be, and why?"

She was annoyed for a split-second but hid it, "I have no interest in travel."

"Rome, a place of art and history. Something everyone should experience not from a book but real life." He answered the question as well, not caring for her flippant response.

"You're scared." He further mentioned.

Her anger from before returned, "I'm not!"

He backtracked, "Okay, scared was the wrong word. But it is visible that you are displeased and nervous. Why?"

"That is none of your business!" She protested her fist slammed the table which caused a loud reverberating bang to echo throughout the room.

"Actually it is. If we are to be married, I need to know the truth of these situations."

"No, you don't! I won't care about what you do, and you won't care about me! This is how this will work!"

"Maybe I don't want it to work that way!" He countered and the room for the third time that morning drifted to silence. Loki's anger was quick lived as he returned to his book in wait of Lucia's verbal return.

It never came, the two stayed in the room for hours neither of them speaking. Lucia had constantly fidgetted in place and a distinct number of times tried talking but couldn't ever find the words. The clock struck four and Lucia became flustered.

"I'm leaving." She declared and gave Loki no change to respond. She walked out and left him with the marriage agreement and pen. Loki, in turn, made no move to stop her, for either him being engrossed in his book or him not caring about her actions.

"System."

"Yes, host."

"What is going on here?"

"You are to live the life of a cliche Main Character, host."

"I know that, but why?"

"Lord's entertainment."

"But if all he wanted was cliche characters there were plenty on earth. So why create a new world?"

"I don't know."

Loki couldn't help but laugh. This was a first, a system actually was willing to admit they didn't know everything.

"Never boring I guess." He commented with a laugh.

"That's the point." The system replied in a similar happy voice.

"That it is... That it is."

Loki ate dinner with his family who berated him for not immediately signing the marriage agreement with Lucia. He offered his words of saying he didn't feel anything for her and wanted to marry because of love, not wealth. They didn't care though, they much like Lucia, wanted him to without hesitance sign the agreement.

Following dinner, and derating of his parents, he spent the night reading over the document. He wasn't surprised to see it was well written and with few loopholes. It was neutrally written and neither side on paper looked to come out ahead.

---

The next morning before he could leave on his run Loki was thrown back in that room, the door locked behind him. It wasn't long till Lucia casually walked in.

"You sign the document yet?"

"What's your favorite color?"

"Black, for your signature."

"Mine would Blue, for the sky."

"Don't care."

"Favorite TV show?"

"Never seen one."

"You've never seen a TV show?" Loki was shocked, but as he thought further on the subject it wasn't greatly surprising. Rich parents can force their kids to be locked away to only learn music, academics, and formal teachings. Lucia might not be the only to have never seen a tv show.

The conversation became idle something Lucia constantly expressed her dislike towards. She simply wanted him to sign the contract so they could both go their separate ways.

Loki ignored these points of disagreement and kept their conversation on the track of getting to know one another. It was stopped when Lucia went silent and stopped replying. The two sat in silence and exactly like yesterday she left at 4.

---

Over the next week, they began to get to know one another more. Lucia wasn't pleased with the development but slowly started following along more. He learned she wasn't as forceful as she made herself out to be. She was nervous whenever the two went silent and would always be watching the look and left at 4 everytime.

The two had nothing in common but Loki grew to enjoy her angry attitude towards him. He never took her words to heart as he could see she never meant any of her words of anger. She wanted this whole thing to be over with, something he agreed with. He came to understand what was truly happening behind the scenes of this marriage.

"How about a deal?"

"There is already an agreed upon deal, you are the only one holding out!"

"So make this deal with me, and we can talk further on me signing."

She was intrigued, "What is it?"

"Go on a date with me." He declared.

She was slow to respond, "No..."

"Why the reluctance?"

"That's none of your business." The forcefulness had been broken down.

"We've been over this. I want to know what is going on. I don't want a marriage in name only." He walked over and sat beside her his arm behind her.

Lucia visibly flinched at Loki's touch, he had tried to comfort her. She didn't take it that way though because she threw a punch at his gut. He didn't feel a thing, her pale frail arms only tickled.

But this reaction was enough for Loki to be furious.

2