Chapter 145 The Terror Of War
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RB Chapter 145 The Terror of War!

"Hey! Cleo! What the hell are your people doing? We need supplies, pronto!" A buff man said the moment he appeared on the holographic screen.

A city could be seen behind him enveloped in an energy barrier. He appeared to be standing on top of its walls and purple mist was making visibility low. It was the mayor of Chad city.

"We are working on that. Avian beasts are disturbing the transports, but I am sure they will arrive in about 40 minutes. I need your help here." She assured before directly stating her request.

"What kind of help? I am very busy here. So far, we haven't even been able to catch a trace of the spectrum beast leafing this horde! It hasn't acted even once!" The man appeared to be impatient.

"I have no experience in war...and according to the information I have here, you have been a part of multiple sieges. I want you here, in the main command room." She requested.

"You have a quantum computer. Can't you use it?" The man asked. Annoyance was starting to creep into his voice.

"We can't be leaving such tasks to a computer! We humans need to gain experience. A computer won't always be there." She argued.

"This is an order! Board one of the air transports and report to Cairo super city! You won't be alone. I am also going to be assembling others." Her voice gained solemnity and authority.

"Yes! Ma'am!" The man accepted but his face was dark. He roughly caressed his bald head, frustration practically oozing out of him.

-----

It was currently 7:10pm. The sun had long sunk into the horizon, causing darkness to set in.

Along a quiet road, devoid of any sign of mutated beasts, the little critters of the night sung, as if seeking attention.

From afar, a noise came that overpowered their singing. Two bright lights lit up the front of the road, and the sound of the engine toiling away to move this beast of a vehicle could be heard in the night wind. Dust particles rose as the wheels made contact with the fairly even dirt road. It had been a long time, since rain last paid a visit to these lands.

The vehicle was black, like the night and its humongous tires, about a meter in diameter were tearing along the road. Little pebbles were crushed into smaller pieces as the vehicle drove over them.

The vehicle was a lorry, with two wheels at the front and four wheels at the back, under its carriage. Its entire body appeared armored. Though, any random beast with a bit of strength, could still tear through it like a piece of paper. But this place was devoid of beasts. It had been marked as safe on the map.

The driver was even whistling, not at all worried that anything would attack, who could blame him? He had just been a commoner a while ago and had decided to join the war machine so that he could earn some universal credits. A true expert would have been vigilant.

What gave him even more reassurance were the four people occupying the insides of the truck's storage...

A lone LED was on the roof providing dim white light to the insides of the storage. If someone was seated and lowered his face just a little, it would appear dark, due to a shadow being cast over it.

The inside was occupied by four figures, clad in black, but they were all silent and motionless, as if they had been like that since time immemorial. The road had been flattened a few hours ago, but there were still stones and pebbles here and there. Everytime the truck hit a pebble, it would shake, but the four didn't even flinch.

They were seated along two wooden benches aligned with the sides of the car, two on each desk. The driver only had these cheap desks to offer them when he had arrived to pick them up.

The reason they were motionless, was that all their eyes were focussed on a holographic screen, which was playing a video in between them.

It came from one of them, a boy with dark blue eyes, which were sparkling with tiny electric snakes. The boy was Eric.

They had been like this for the past 20 minutes.

Their faces all had graveness and seriousness written all over them.

A video was playing, it was of a battle, which had taken place over 40 minutes ago. The video was taken from the perspective of a person.

The location, appeared to be in the desert since they could occasionally see sand dunes in the background. The figure who had taken the video had been moving at a very high speed, but they had slown it down to be able to see the details. 

It looked like the owner of the camera had been engaged in a battle with scorpions. They had been so many, but according to what they were seeing, none made it past the city wall.

"Will we have to face this many creatures in the future?" Leah asked, her voice quivering. She was dealing fearful.

"This is brutal! Look at that guy! His arm was torn off the moment his attention slipped, just in the fraction of a second!" Elena excitedly commented. She wasn't scared or terrified, on the contrary, this video was stimulating her battle lust. She wanted to be on that battlefield!

Chloe had her hands clenched. Her heart was drumming against her chest as if it wanted to leap out of her body. Every limb that flew made her become excited. Her feelings were the same as those of Elena. This was a battlefield she would have liked to be on!

Eric, through his keen senses felt their abnormal emotional fluctuations. He gazed in between the two and came to the conclusion that they were excited.

'These two didn't manage to pick up on what Michael wanted to convey...the terror of war!' He shook his head.

Eric's heart too, was hammering at his chest. But it was of an entirely different reason than that of Chloe and Elena. It was...fear!

Yes, fear! Since he had survived an encounter with that monkey, he understood more of the terror. Fighting those yellow furred monkeys was easy because they had been a single organism simply controlling its many clones, but here, every scorpion had its own mind. Any seemingly simple misstep might lead to grim consequences for the person who made the error!

In this video, according to what Eric speculated, Michael might have been on tenter hooks, not overlooking even a simple weak scorpion!

1