Chapter 190 A Strike Team
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    RB Chapter 190 A Strike Team

"Thank you, I just lost my marbles there for a bit." Cleo took in a very deep breath after being spoken to by her secretary, once again occupying her seat as she waited for a new table. Everything that had been occupying the previous one now laid on the floor where the secretary was in the middle of picking them up.

"Contact her and ask her why the attack failed. Too bad the satellites aren't capable of images moving at that speed. We need to upgrade the things after this war. We can't keep using such outdated technology." She lamented. All they had seen was a bolt of lightning, then the white furred monkey had its shoulder missing a piece, not to mention the left side, showing skull. Her enhanced eyes had tried to follow, but even they didn't manage due to the sheer speed of the exchange. Chloe's speed had far surpassed that of sound, not to mention the distortions in the air caused by her movement speed. It had been like trying to gaze within water, a daunting task.

'How could she have missed, this was a very good chance? There won't be any other opportunity like this one in the future. Why did she have to...?' Cleo had an urge to bite her at her nails but restrained it due to the many eyes on her. Yelling at someone right about now would have been a very welcome thing, but, that also couldn't be done as it would make her appear temperate. These city lords wanted exactly that as it would allow them to gain leverage over any future dealings with her. Giving them that satisfaction wasn't something she wanted to happen.

"..." Many sighs of dissapointment entered her ears from the city lords...not just them, but even the staff. If they had taken out that monkey which had acted as the leader, the other beasts might have scattered. It was better to fight them scattered instead of unified. She could see some showing warped faces, a signature of anger and dissapointment.

"Don't be dissapointed, this isn't her fault mostly, but ours, since we failed to account for this very situation of multiple spectrum beasts banding together." Cleo said. She didn't want these people to blame the failure on that lone woman. That wouldn't be a bright idea. It would simply be a misguided attempt at releasing their emotions.

"So, what's the next step?" One of the citylords asked. The question caused the others to temporarily shelve other emotions in favor of this budding new conversation.

"Since the beasts have stopped in place, then the injuries to their leader must be serious, we will probably have a few days before they move. That gives us some breathing room so that we can gather a team...I know you want to ask why I think they won't attack because there are other spectrum beasts...that's because that monkey is the leader. There must be one among them that is fiercely loyal, so it won't allow its leader's plans to go awry because a surbodinate didn't stay in line." Cleo regained herself and started coming up with strategies. There was no further use for crying towards the already spilt milk.

"She said that the white furred monkey took control through its spectrum domain, pausing her body for a split second, allowing it time to shift its head out of the way." A voice came from one of the staff. The secretary had gone out to get a new table, probably the one in her office since a new one couldn't be brought over on such shirt notice. The table had been custom-made to her tastes after all.  The revelation caused shock to ripple through Cleo. She understood what that meant! 

'Shit! This monkey is going to be troublesome!' She cursed in her mind, her face leaking out her thoughts just a tiny bit.

"What is it?" One of the citylords managed to catch that minute change in her expression and asked.

"The monkey must have strengthened its spectrum domain. Newly advanced spectrum warriors won't cut it, we are going to need veterans!" Cleo almost panicked at the implications. Spectrum warriors might be sacrificed just to take down the monkey! The strength of the brainwaves capable of causing an energy body travelling at such speed to pause, even for a split second was enormous! That meant that the monkey was capable of warping laser beams, even at point blank range!

"So, that means that whichever team we put together might have some of them dying there?" One of the citylords asked after managing to understand the implications.

"Yes, that's why we need veterans. We might have to put up a few tempting rewards..." Cleo sighed again. There were very few things capable of attracting people at that level. She knew, because she was at the same level. That's why she had wanted to become the highest authority in the federation, anything less, and she might have gotten a substitute...a puppet to take her place on the council. That would have allowed her the freedom to not attended the trivial meetings as it would have been humiliating. That was probably why the other two super cities had refused to have anything to do with the federation. Power was a very intoxicating thing, not one person in power wanted to have another above them. These other citylords from medium and small cities had probably only joined because they had had no choice...also it was because of the lobbying she had carried out, or else this federation might not have gotten off the ground.

'That woman and that boy will definitely participate since it concerns their city. I just have to find five others, and a substitute in case the boy hasn't recovered by the time the mission kicks off. This is going to require a lot of effort!' Cleo felt that once again she was going to be overworked, something she resented. She could see some of the city lords here who had spectrum warriors had glinting eyes, probably calculating how much resources they could earn if they lent out their spectrum warriors...a bunch of idiots, she wasn't going to negotiate with them, but the warriors themselves as it concerned their lives.

-----

Time once again passed in such a manner until the sun started to sink far into the western horizon. Chloe finally managed to get up, the sensitivity of her cells having reduced enough to allow some semblance of movement. She was weak and staggering, but at least she could get up. Luck had been with her the entire time she had been laying there since no beast had come to feed on her, this easy piece of meat. 

"That was terrifying! I hope I never have to push myself to the extent of taking such a reckless course of action ever again!" She mumbled. It had been so excruciating that she had had the urge to shout out, but because she was in the wilderness where safety was rare and precious, she didn't dare shout out.

"Its currently...4:43pm! Time surely passes fast!" She stretched her body and popping sounds rang out after checking the time on her patch. The pain was still there, but it was more of a dull ache. The recovery of supercells was truly phenomenal! Though, she also was aware that if it wasn't for her keeping enough energy within her body for their recovery, she would have taken longer. Right now she was weak, and her stomach was already protesting its lack of something to digest.

'Now, I need to come up with another plan. The beasts won't move unless those other surviving energy channelling beasts are crazy or rebel...first, I need to get my hands on more ATP, then reinforcements...also food.' She thought while walking to the place where her bag had been buried. She dug it up and strapped it over her shoulders, making way towards the nearest road. The patch had a GPS function, so it was easy.

As she made her way to the road, she tried to use her domain, only for a headache to cause her to grimace.

'It looks like I won't be able to use it. I will need to hunt for food the normal way then.' She thought after waiting for the pain to vanish. She picked up her pace and used her eyes, nose and instinct to search for prey, but her efforts were in vain. The carpet sweep of the wilderness had gotten rid of far too many animals and critters.

"Hello Mugumivu, I need more energy. Plus, add in some reinforcements, spectrum warriors would be preferable...ah! Wait! I need food too! The high energy kind, hurry up, cause am starving!" She sent a voice message. She didn't divulge the location as she was sure that she was being tracked through her patch and the satellites.

-----

The yellow furred monkey was currently seated on a tree branch replaying the day's previous events. The distortion had chased every other spectrum beast away from the leader as it wasn't sure of their loyalty. The yellow furred monkey couldn't blame it as it had also had the thought to strike and kill the injured boss. That would have been good and all, but now wasn't the time. It had caught a glimpse of the others having some kind of meeting. It had been invited, but hadn't decided to join them. The one who had initiated the meeting was a humanoid frog beast, having green skin and horizontally slitted pupil eyes. The yellow furred monkey could see the treachery in those eyes, even from before the boss was injured, but it didn't care. Ultimately, they wouldn't amount to anything. It had been with the boss and the distortion for a long time, so it knew, this plot wouldn't amount to anything, only leading to their deaths.

'What a terrifying assassin! No no no...the boss is even more terrifying for even managing to evade such a strike!' The monkey was still in shock at the attempt at the boss's life. Right now, it had even given up on its previous thoughts of using as minimum as abilities possible. It's domain was now spread around it as a form of protection and early warning if that assassin struck once again. It had been trying to hide its abilities as much as it could because that was the beast course of action. It would allow itself to get out of a predicament in case it was betrayed by the boss or the others. Ever since it had followed the boss, it had never once created any clones. It had vowed to never do that, as hiding it as a trump card was better. The boss had an inkling, but the yellow furred monkey chose to believe that it was only shallow.

'I didn't get a good look at the human...could it have been that boy? No...that can't be right! I should trust my instincts...there was that woman with the same powers as the boy. It must be her!' The monkey put two and two together, reaching the most plausible conclusion. It was a bit relieved that the assassin had been someone familiar. That meant that they were going to come back again. It could negotiate then. The familiarity alone would be the first advantage that it would have.

'Today was a disaster! I hope the boss becomes cautious when he recovers. These...partners underestimated human ingenuity. I hope that when the time comes, I get the chance to have talks with the humans.' The monkey wanted to negotiate with the humans, now more than ever. What if the nest target became it? That was a horrifying thought as it had absolutely zero chance of survival!

'Wait a second! Those humans will definitely attack once again, what if I lend a helping hand at a critical moment? That crazy boss definitely needs to die as his ideas are too radical bordering in insane! Wiping out all the humans? That's a delusion only the crazy would have. It would have been more plausible if it had lain low and gathered over a hundred spectrum beasts...and that would have only been enough to capture some territory, not outright wiping out the human race.'

1