Chapter 191 Recovery
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

           RB Chapter 191 Recovery

The days dawned and dusked, passing with still no movement from the beasts. Chloe was currently lounging in the backseat of a fully armored car, simply enjoying the breeze that was coming through the open door. She was dressed in pair of blue jeans with holes at the knee section, a fashion statement. The black top left her belly button uncovered and she was in the middle of munching on some snacks. 

She had fully recovered and was even healthier than ever. She was still waiting for the reinforcements, passing the time by chatting with the other two girls via a video call, like right now.

"Chloe, Eric's body has fully recovered and his vital signs are steady. We are simply waiting for him to wake up." Leah's voice came through as she reported. She appeared calm, but Chloe could see that she was giddy with excitement. She was in the middle of throwing one of the chips and catching it with her mouth.

"Is he in a coma?" Chloe asked. She wanted to be sure so that she didn't get her hopes up like the other girl. She wanted Eric to recover faster, she missed being near him. His dark blue eyes always had a way they managed to suck her in.

'Shit! How can I lose my mind like that!' She had a faint blush on her cheeks the other two girls would hopefully not pry too much into, she prayed.

"No, it has been confirmed that he's just unconscious." Leah elaborated, having entirely misses the red on Chloe's cheeks.

"Hey! Have you managed to capture a few more photos and videos of those spectrum beasts from your reconnaissance?" Elena butted in. It was currently noon and Chloe always spied on the beasts in the morning and evenings. The satellites did the job, but she always wanted to have something to do, so she also did her own separate investigations. Besides, sometimes the cloud cover hindered the satellites, so she had to do it. She had taken a few pictures of the spectrum beasts, sending some to Elena one day, but the girl had gotten very persistent. Though, her persistence fragged up a few memories from days ago when there had been a commotion within the beasts. She had crept in and discovered that one of the spectrum beasts, a frog humanoid with green skin was being tortured by the distortion. According to what she had managed to gather, the beast had probably tried to assassinate the leader. What had shocked her the most was that or hadn't been killed, but simply taught a lesson. She knew the savageness of the animal kingdom all too well, so this had been eye opener for her.

'I wonder why she's enamoured by powerhouses!' Chloe had such a stray thought, even as she sent the photos over.

"So, I want to know what's happening there...have you heard anything concrete?" Chloe switched to seriousness while asking this question. She even sat up straight from her lounging position.

"Well...all we have managed to gather is that the federation has started putting together a task force. It will be completed any day now...even with rewards, most spectrum warriors have been hesitating." Leah passed a hand through her hair. This showed her frustration which she had managed to keep behind a stoic face as she didn't want it worry her.

"Haaaaa...I expected as much." Chloe simply sighed. This was taking too long! It would have been better if they had attacked while that monkey had been in recovery. The beasts had dug out a cave and she hadn't seen the white furred monkey for days. It caused her to have a suspicion that the monkey had recovered, and was simply trying to bait her, so she didn't push for reinforcements as urgently. Many beasts had entered the cave, only to never make it back out. That meant that they had been eaten as a way to gain the energy required for healing.

"They are just imbeciles, do they really think that they can do anything without taking any risks? According to what I have heard, every spectrum warrior who participates in this battle is going to get themselves onto the legend list! That is a chance to gain a legend!" Elena revealed, her eyes were glowing with fervor and envy.

"Hmmm...that isn't enough to attract the normal people. Only crazies like you would be tempted by something that empty. Reputation? status? To them everything will eventually be gained even if they don't take part in this risky offensive." Chloe shook her head while dismissing Elena's words.

"They just don't want to die in vain...if this problem was close to their cities..." Elena said.

"What about that woman Cleo?" Chloe asked.

"She's fighting to get as many as spectrum warriors as possible. Many deals, aboveboard and under the table are taking place to ensure that the team gets to have an overall of spectrum warriors matching those seven...and that is just a rumor that Mugumivu came upon." Leah said.

"Chloe, you need to be very careful! I wouldn't want Eric to be saddened once again." Leah said. She had heard of the circumstances through which Chloe had met Eric. The story had made her eyes water.

"As long as Eric makes it to the battlefield, the chances of my death will be very slim." Chloe said without worry.

-----

"Finally!" Cleo leaned back into a chair after exclaiming. This had been the most hectic couple of days in her life! 

She had been through the thick of it all, negotiating to have a spectrum level team capable of matching the beasts. The only thing which had failed was that she had failed to find a back up for if the brat failed to wake up. The five gathered warriors had stipulated that they would only assemble if they had the numbers to match the beasts, so she was having no choice in the matter, but to wait.

"I finally have time off!" She was also delayed by that discovery. Finally, she would get to soak into that warm water of the bathtub and sleep in a very comfortable bed! She had been so busy with negotiations that some had even happened during the wee hours if the night, preventing her from gaining the sleep she had deserved. At first, everything went smoothly, until the citylords caught a whiff of what she was doing, then that was where it had started to spiral as they asked for some compensation for having their spectrum warriors lent out. Those imbeciles even brought up a way to get themselves compensated if the spectrum warriors died! That had been a sick thing, since those fools weren't the Ines who were going to sacrifice themselves. She had had to continuously hold back from exploding as she looked at their sickly grins.

'What a bunch of wastes!' She cursed them at that memory.

She had earned it!

"I wonder...will that boy be able to face his fear and win, or will he crumble and be forgotten!" She mumbled while enjoying a soak in the warm water. She had recognised the monkey, and its power had honestly surprised her. Just the ability to be able to instantaneously react to Chloe's flawless ambush alone was telling. She was sure that she was a bit inferior to the monkey.

'This might turn out to be the first time a spectrum warrior dies ever since the start of the war.' She just hoped that the sacrifice would at least be worth it if the monkey died. The other six beasts weren't threats as far as she was concerned, even that one which was hiding within the distortion.

"Though, I am curious...is that beast still hiding its power? When it dies, I will have to get its body." She said while staring at foam caused by soap.

"Kampala city is also very surprising...they actually have someone who can manufacture soldier ants...a queen ant of sorts. So far there hasn't been anyone like her. We need someone like that if we want to reduce the number of human deaths. I wonder whether we can research a way to produce more ant queens. Should I order someone to capture her after the war?" While mumbling, she gradually got drowsy, until her eyes closed and she fell asleep. All the fatigue from the days before had hit her upon relaxing.

***

Another few day passed just like that. It had almost reached the end of the month of February. The sun had been shining for most of the month but clouds had started to gather these past few days denoting that the rainy season was about to begin.

On a certain plain with sparse vegetation and loose soil, a horde of beasts was resting. Since the beasts were that many and sweaty, the place had an unbearable smell. The beasts were surrounding a cave...more like a burrow into the ground as if protecting whatever was inside.

Inside the cave itself, the air was cool, not to mention the ground itself also having the same temperature as the cool air. The cavernous burrow was large, about 10m in diameter with a vague circular shape. It was dark, very little light could reach this place and if it wasn't for the fact that the seven forms occupying the cave were special, none would have wanted to be in this cave which impaired vision.

The white furred monkey sat leaning against the cavern wall, while the other six sat directly in front facing it.

The yellow furred monkey determined that the white furred boss had fully recovered by relying in its instincts. If it wasn't for the fact that using a domain to scan another domain user was rude, it would have unleashed its domain and scanned the boss.

Six pairs of eyes gazed at the boss with a myriad of emotions, fear, dependence and ambition. The ambition didn't stem from the fact that they wanted to see what heights the boss would bring them to, instead it was ambition stocked by greed. All the beasts here, even the white furred monkey, wanted the power that the white furred boss was currently having. The white furred monkey simply put on a menacing grin in response to the greed it could see. Only the distortion had eyes filled with loyalty.

1