Chapter 199 Breaches
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RB Chapter 199 Breaches

Darkness had enveloped the surroundings with only the lights from the camp managing to push away some of it. This was one of those moonless starlit nights. It was supposed to be peaceful and tranquil but the sounds emitted by the various beasts and humans caused the atmosphere to become polluted.

Roars, grunts, yells, stomps and many other sounds joined together in a cacophony to chase away the silence of the night.

Eric was back where he had been at just the start of the battle, the top of the northern wall. The flying beasts had been reduced massively and the ants were also on their last legs, so the beasts down the hill were about to break through any minute now.

"The hill has been drenched in liquids causing the soil to become very soft. All the heavy beasts down there will have a hard time climbing up. We will only have to watch out for those focused on agility. After all the flying beasts are killed, convene onto the positions assigned to you on top of the walls." Chloe ordered through her patch.

'That monkey...when will it show up? The last time I faced it, it was arrogant, so it definitely doesn't care about these canon fodder.' Eric thought while cycling through his various electromagnetic frequencies with his eyes. He was trying to locate the spectrum beasts, only that the ones climbing up the hill were obstructing his gaze, not to mention the new corpse wall down the hill that had formed close to the place the ants were forming a defense.

"Eric, you need to calm down. Ultimately the monkey will have to attack. You just have to wait." Chloe said from the side. She must have seen the intensity with which he had been looking down the hill. He bitterly smiled in his mind at having been found out.

-----

Badump! Badump! Badump!

Just like drums, George's heart palpitated. The heart was an outlet for his fear and nervousness. He was currently standing in the circular wall, facing the southern direction. His team was number was 132.

They had just cleaned up all the flying creatures and were now waiting for the ground beasts to break through the ants. As his nervousness and fear increased, he involuntarily took a glance at his side where a petit looking girl was standing. She was beautiful, her body covered in emerald green scales, a SYMOR, one of the things he couldn't afford. Even though the girl was far younger than himself, who was about 33 this year, her face was calm, betraying none of her emotions.

George's gaze was tinged with admiration while looking at her, she and that lion girl, adding on the captain, had been the MVPs of their little team. They had acted with the grace of professionals, something which he lacked.

George knew that the two girls used to be related to the ten clans, but he wasn't one of the haters. He had been someone neutral, not caring whether the clans ruled or not.

'I wonder why such a young girl who should be in school has to come to this battlefield.' He lamented in his mind, while sighing outwardly.

"Are you tired?" The question jolted him to take another look at the girl. His sigh had caused him lower his eyes but he instinctively knew that the question must have originated from her.

"How can I be tired when you, a young Lady are this composed?" He asked back with a bitter smile on his face. In truth, he was very tired. A war was very different from taking missions as the fighting was more intense and the nerves didn't calm down for hours, or even days. He was in an agitated state where his adrenaline was cycling through his veins, not to mention his heightened senses. He was very sure that if he allowed himself to relax even a little bit, his body might just collapse to the ground.

"You should take this time to regulate your body and emotions. The coming battle will be even more brutal. It will be easy, but long." The girl gave him advice. George's lips twitched as he should have been the one offering her advice.

"I don't think I will be able to calm down. This is my first true war after all." He admitted to her.

"Its not just you, many are the same too. As long as you keep on surviving, you will gain experience. This is also my first war." She admitted. George blushed a little as he was ashamed that he needed to be comforted by a girl just a year older than his daughter.

He turned his gaze down the hill where the beasts where entangled with the ants and took in a very deep breath before exhaling. It appeared as if he had been exhaling all the negative statuses on him.

"Thanks for your advice little miss. My name is George. If we manage to survive this battlefield, I will invite you to my house." He said while looking straight ahead. He didn't want to see what kind of expression the girl was making.

As his gaze turned towards the battlefield, his eyes managed to capture one of the first scenes of the ants failing to hold back the beasts. He was someone who had merged his genes with those of a creature with night vision after all.

The place where his gaze fell was packed with ants. Sparks lit up the battlefield as the ants clashed. The black ants which were forming a defensive line were clashing with red colored ants. The battle was intense, corrosive spit splashing everywhere, severed limbs flying through the air, and metallic sounds continuously ringing out. All the ants appeared to have enhanced their outer exoskeleton with metallic elements upon their mutation. They were as hard as metal causing their battles to be intense. Stabbing out with their legs caused sparks to fly as each tried to attack their opponent's weak spots, a myriad of which were contained on the head.

As George took in the scene, the first breach occurred when two red ants teamed up to stab one of the black ants through the brain, causing it to die instantly. His eyes widened when the two ants' feelers moved as they trued to detect the chemical signals in the wind. The other black ants were currently occupied so the two were left to their own devices.

'The first breach.' He took in a very deep breath as he gazed at the two red ants. He couldn't see their color due to his night vision, but by turning it off intermittently and using the little light that came from their fortress, he had managed to see the red.

The ants, which appeared to have confirmed something didn't wait for the others and instead moved towards the third outer wall at top speed. The ground higher up was dry, not like the ground lower, which had been soaked with blood to the point of becoming muddy and slippery.

As the ants made their way towards the first outer wall, George's heart palpitated within his chest. The two were still a considerable distance away, sepqrarted from him by three walls of compressed soil, but that didn't make him feel any better.

George's heartbeat became the only one that he could hear within his chest. His forehead started beading with sweat as he concentrated his gaze on the limbs of the red ants which were closing the distance between themselves and the third outer wall step by step at a very fast speed. 

The red ants alone weren't the cause for his current state, no, they were just rge heralds of what was to come. What was to come was what was causing the tension he was feeling. The thought of facing close to 50,000 beasts was a daunting task if you counted that the combatants in the fortress didn't even reach 1000... George felt as if he would have a heart attack at that thought.

As he was almost on the verge of a panic attack, light flashed and the two ants fell, never to get up again. Focussing his eyes, he saw that one hole each had appeared in the middle of the heads of the red ants. It even continued on, boring holes through the other beasts further back in a straight line.

"What happened?!" He almost shouted out the question, incredulity heavy in his voice.

"Its the preparations the commander made earlier. What a very clever woman!" The answer came from their team leader. The woman gave off a very intimidating aura to George. She was a person that he didn't want to be near at all costs, but since they were in the same team, such a situation was unavoidable.

"Preparations?!" He parroted, not understanding.

"The commander had foreseen such a circumstance, so she didn't just construct the walls but also added laser weapons within the walls." The captain explained.

"Oh!" George's eyes widened in realisation. He had seen some of the teams embedding some things, but since he hadn't been paying attention, he hadn't grasped what had been embedded, only thinking that they were things to reinforce the walls.

-----

"Oh! It looks like the first breach exposed our preparations." Chloe said while standing on the northern side of the fortress, atop its inner wall. She had a grin on her face as if everything was in the palm of her hands.

"This was one of your plans, I gather?" Eric asked from the side. Even though his voice was calm, his gaze didn't turn towards her, instead it was focussed far away into the beasts. The northern direction so far hadn't yet been breached. The ants were still going strong.

As time passed, multiple areas reported breaches causing the laser weapons enclosed within the walls to fire continuously, finishing off droves and injuring more beasts. Chloe's expression also became grave as she knew that this tactic wouldn't last long since there were many beasts. Sooner or later, after they managed to take care of all the ants, they direct most of their ficus towards the walls. 

The lasers were very powerful weaponry, but they had one very fatal flaw, and that was the need for energy. Energy couldn't come out of nowhere. Those which had been enclosed within the walls had been fitted with batteries enough for exact to fire about 50 times. Even though a laser beam had a range of 50m in a straight line, where droves could be felled with each shot, there were still 50,000 beasts, a very terrifying number! Chloe was sure that the moment they ran out of energy, the beasts would be upon them.

"These laser beams you prepared also serve another purpose, right?" Eric asked Chloe, causing her attention to shift back to him.

"So you managed to glean something?" She asked with a smirk.

"You are intimidating the spectrum beasts. Even they, wouldn't dare to attack. After all, laser beans aren't something the normal could bend within a spectrum domain, not to mention that it will be very hard if you aren't expecting it since, no one can react to the speed of light." Eric said.

"Such a simple scheme couldn't escape your eyes as I thought." Chloe praised.

"There is no need to praise me, anyone could have figured it out." Eric shook his head. 

"Anyway, those weapons will buy us a bit of time. It will be better if you try to adjust yourself to a more optimal state." Chloe said as she sat down on the spot and closed her eyes, appearing to be resting. Eric knew that she was clearing her head of all thoughts.

'Can I achieve that state though? Even now I feel restless. That monkey...I wonder whether it will even remember me...or will it have forgotten the coward that ran away?' Eric's eyes flickered as he gazed down the hill. The night was chilly, but with his current emotional state, he felt as if the blood running through his veins was hot like lava.

Many breaches were being opened, causing more laser weapons to join in the slaughter of the beasts. The laser beams helped to lighten up the battlefield in the distance, if only briefly. Eric stood in place staring into the darkness where the lights occasionally flashed while his mind was in turmoil.

*****

This week too, will have a lore file, it will be in a different perspective but still connected with the first file that came out before. Join Patreon if you want to expand your knowledge of the planet Earth in Rampaging Biology.

1