Chapter 214 A Chaotic Bunch (3)
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

             RB Chapter 214 A Chaotic Bunch (3)

Mara felt the tiredness, the anger in his voice. The way he wasted more force than necessary in killing the beasts obstructing their path. She really wanted to comfort him, to tell him that it was okay to be angry, to...(sigh). She ultimately couldn't in this situation. Her gaze looked at that back that was leaking despondence and all she could do was follow behind him. Those idiots could fight all they wanted but if anyone brought him pain, she was certain she would attack! Her fists clenched as she followed behind him, preserving her energy while he cleared the beasts in their path.

"Mara, couldn't they all have been normal like you and me?" He finally spoke as they made it to the first blocks of shattered compressed soil that had composed of the outermost wall.

"Michael, those were the only ones crazy enough to come. The level headed ones passed on this mission. The likelihood of death is too high." She answered, trying to sound calm.

"The cowards..." He let that hung in the air.

-----

"Those people are really strong!" Elena commented up on the wall. Her pupils were dilated, heavy breath exiting her nostrils...all the signs of excitement. Leah caught all that. Ever since young, she had paid attention even to the most minute of reactions. Reading expressions was easy to her. 

She wasn't as excited as Elena. She wanted to be by Eric's side so badly that any idea of something else was dull. The chilly morning air had chased away her drowsiness, causing her to be fully alert.

She had channelled some of her energy to view the so called reinforcements, and so far, she hadn't been impressed. They appeared to lack cohesiveness, an unruly bunch through and through. They were bound to cause trouble in the fortress at some point. She was 100% sure of it. Especially those two who had been left behind with the damaged vehicle and yellow furred monkey. Her instincts screamed they were trouble!

"She has appeared!" Elena's exclamation caused her to peer below the brown walls, catching sight of a tall dark skinned woman, with her skin being lighter than hers. Her gaze was peering up at them, those cold brown eyes giving Leah the jitters. The eyes of a soldier, a deathsworn. She read all that from a gaze. The woman had short hair, barely an inch above her head. A combat suit, composed of black colors tightened around her body. A few whistles from the males made it known how hot those seductive curves of hers were.

She crouched, and with a leap, easily appeared atop the walls. Leah saw the scrutiny within her gaze as she beheld everyone. A meter around her had been vacated. The people here all knew that she was a spectrum warrior. Getting on her bad side wouldn't pan out well.

"Where is the commander in charge of this fortress?" She asked, her hands behind her back. Back straight like a javelin. An air of intimidation caused the crowd to lose their voices, Leah included. She was still young, not like the veteran woman who had been through countless battlefields. Through the corner of her eyes, Leah also saw that Elena's excitement had been curbed except for those intense brown eyes.

"I am here." A familiar voice came from behind the crowd who parted to the sides to allow the passage of Chloe.

"Whose pathetic idea was it to come here by road transportation?" Chloe asked with a sullen tone.

"The city simply gave us the vehicle. The federation is probably short staffed." The woman explained.

"Sorry for the late introduction, I am Chloe by the way " Chloe stood opposite the woman, a meter apart.

"I am Melty." She gave her introduction curtly, shaking Chloe's outstretched hand. 

-----

Chloe had the impression that the woman was too stiff, someone probably used to following orders. She should loosen up a little...of course all that stayed as merely thoughts. After shaking her hand, Chloe stood beside her and gazed down the hill where a couple was making their way upwards.

'So Michael chose to come too.' A grin appeared on her face at seeing an acquaintance before she shifted it elsewhere.

"So, who are those two idiots? What are they doing?" She asked mercilessly, her brows wrinkled. 'Problem children...' 

"They will do the introductions themselves." Melty answered. 

'Of course...could you be more uncooperative than this!' The lines on her forehead increased.

The couple appeared after a few seconds, when Chloe was starting to feel a dislike for the woman.

"Michael, its good to see you again." Chloe greeted even before the man leaped onto the wall.

"Well...I am also happy to see you again." Michael smilingly said after leaping onto the wall. "This is Mara by the way." 

"Its nice to meet you." Now that the shaking of hands was out of the way, Chloe once again asked.

"That is Lucien and someone who goes by the moniker, 'the singer'...I know cringy, right." He must have caught her weird expression.

"They are idiots, oddballs, murderous savages...you should be prepared. They aren't an easy bunch to handle." Michael's words caused her to raise an eyebrow.

"Anyway, where is our legend? I don't see him anywhere." He asked while looking around. Even Melty's eyes flickered. It seems that even she was curious.

"He's up north broadcasting himself to the beasts." She smiled at her words.

"Can I leave to meet up with him? Please...I don't want to be here when those two arrive." He had a very persuading look on his face.

"So, you want to leave me here to deal with this mess?" She revealed a menacing grin. "You can go, I will make sure to handle them." 

Michael raced away towards the north, the woman named Mara, dressed like a dominatrix following after him. All she lacked was a whip to complete her ensemble. She was definitely in love with him. Even though she was a bit dull sometimes, Chloe could see that much.

"I have also always been curious about the first legend. I will be heading up north." Melty spoke before she too ran off.

'It looks like those two down the hill will be a handfull.' She had an urge to palm her forehead but surpressed it since she was in front of a crowd. Their full attention was on her and as commander, she couldn't show weakness.

"Leah, how long have they been fighting?" She turned around and asked the green eyed girl.

-----

"You were cruel, leaving her behind to deal with those two." Mara said. Michael could detect seriousness and alarm in her voice. It appeared that she was worried for Chloe.

"You are right, but I do believe she can do it. She has an iron will and did you see the feral grim on her face? She loves the challenge." Michael explained.

"But...those two are on another level, you could even say that they are practically crazy." That didn't alleviate her fears apparently.

"Don't worry too much, even they wouldn't dare to go overboard. That would earn the ire of that woman and she will bring down the full might of the entire federation down on them if they jump out of line." Michael had no choice but stir the conversation towards the higher ups.

"Okay, then I will believe you. Anyway, you seem pretty excited about your meeting with that Lightning summoner kid. What's up with that? Even your brothers and sisters don't get the same treatment." Mara asked.

"I can't describe it, but he's more like a young brother to me. He just..." Michael failed to find the words. Every time his thoughts went to that teenager with those blue eyes, he developed a protective instinct. Plus he's adorable.

-----

'That monkey used that same ability...I wonder how it can do that?' Eric wondered while seating at the edge of the wall. A beam of brainwaves had just clashed with his spectrum domain. He was sure it hadn't been directed towards him, but the south.

'That other monkey is here...could it be a clone, or the frog?' He pondered while caressing his chin. The reinforcements had arrived, Chloe had had to go out and welcome them, so he had been left alone on the wall. Here and there, a few energy channellers were starting to appear. Since he had decided to guard this direction, he had requested that the others at least get some sleep, which they had. The lack of water had caused many to sleep with the dried blood. They would have failed to get some sleep of they hadn't been dead tired. A stench entered his nose, blood and flesh combined. The blood had been absorbed by the soil, leaving red patches here and there. Even though much of the flesh had been consumed by the beasts, some pieces still lingered here and there down the hill. 

1