Ch4. Recycling Bin
338 6 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going to the village, i saw other spirits flying around the field, they were putting mana on the ground and doing some changes to the dirt.

I decided to watch what they were doing exactly.

I wasn't used to staying out late, so it didn't feel that good to not have a ceiling above my head at night, you could say i lived in a not so safe place. 

*I'm a Spirit now, so nothing can hurt me.

After getting closer I quietly observed what they were doing, well, it's not like i could make any noise.

It seemed like they were nurturing the ground with mana, and after that they used something kind of spell that turned a very, very, very small part of the ground into minerals and such, things that i was familiar as the essential minerals for plants to grow.

*Oh, they are fertilizing the ground.

Their colour caught my attention, they were light brown and  they left a green trail as they moved about. 

* I see, so this is these guy's job, i wonder what's mine, heal, lift curses?

Every spirit i saw had already figured out its own thing and was working on that, honestly, i felt a little useless.

*I should do something, but what?

I decided to steal their job.

After a lot of time observing and experimenting...

「Earth magic: Fertilize.」

It was significantly more difficult to learn earth magic than wind and holy combined.

*Weird.

The difficult part was guessing the concentration of minerals, i always ended up creating very hard ground, surely a plant would die if it was planted there.

 Ground that hard can't absorb water.

After getting bored doing the same thing over and over again, i went to the village.

Unsurprisingly, i was the only thing lighting the surroundings except the moon of course.

This made me feel really out of place, and that in turn made me wonder why was i this comfortable before, i mean, i have been in a forest at this time, the environment was dark, the atmosphere scary, and worst of all, i had the feeling that i was being followed.

*!??

*Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I sped up in the direction of the village, once there i instantly slowed down, to my surprise it seemed like i wasn't affected by inertia.

And another surprise...

They're having a party!

The village was very lively even though its night, it wasn't dark at all, there were lamps, spirits and a giant pot in the middle, they were cooking something.

*A festival?

A festival described it perfectly, people were chatting here and there, drinking and eating, they were all smiles.

*"What are they celebrating about?" I thought as i went deeper into the party, they were also people dancing around the giant pot, the fire under the pot was a pale blue colour, i was familiar with blue fire, but not like that, i was used to only seeing the tip of a flame being blue, and not blue in its entirety.

""Rilah!"" Some cheered, as they danced,  ate and chatted together.

"""Marilah!""" Others followed.

Such a great atmosphere made me very happy, so I decided to join in on the fun.

What would I do? I don't know, i just wanted to be part of it. I joined the spirits that were flying around the pot.

They were flying up in a particularly pleasing motion to see, they started at the ground and moved up, working together to create a trail that looked like a molecule of DNA.

*A double helix?

Each helix had a different colour, one was green, by the wind spirits, and the other red, by the fire spirits.

A that wasn't the only shape that they were drawing, around the double helix other spirits drew several wiggly circles and some reassembled a plant, like a child would draw it.

The plant had a brown stem and green leaves.

There were several different kinds of spirits, but i was the only Light spirit, i hadn't seen any light ones after leaving the Queen's tree.

*Let's make a show.

First, i would smoothly blend in then... Boom light show.

I joined in with the wind spirits and began to leave my trail, it wasn't as cool looking at they did it but hey, I'm just a beginner.

After just a couple moments i got in the rhythm, not because I'm skilled or something but something was guiding me.

Paying attention, I saw that there was two spirits that glowed just a little brighter than the other, they seemed to be leading others with their trails, i felt some mana in those trails they left.

*I see, they are the leaders. I got an idea.

I got the feeling that this was about to end and I got a great idea on how to wrap it up.

I stole the leaders position by adding comparatively more mana in my trail than them, after a couple tries and switching positions between both helixes, i managed to make the follow my lead.

*Good. Now...

I made them fly in a circle very fast as they slowly ascended, that way instead of making a double helix it would just be a ascending ring of light.

They began to increase their speed, i joined in, however instead of the helping with the circle i was in the center of it.

"??" People began to look at us, we their attention because more spirits were joining us, making the circle even brighter.

As we ascended to very high up in the sky, i looked down and everyone's attention was on us.

*YES, now the main part.

When we got as high a we possibly could i... Focused all my man solely on producing light.

""""!!!!!!!!""""

 I shone like a star, iluminating everything in the vicinity.

"Whoooa!"

Other spirits did the same, the ones that had formed the ring disbanded and flew in all directions than erupted into a show of light.

Eventually all spirits were doing the same.

"""""Geeeeeeh! Geeeeeeh!""""" They cheered, lifting their mugs into the sky.

*I wonder do they drink alcohol?

*Clap.* *Clap* *clap.*

They clapped as we stopped our light show.

Kids were also between them, although not as many, there were several children that looked at our little show with amazed expressions, as if they never saw something like this.

*Well, they probably haven't seen something like this before, i doubt fireworks exist in this forest.

"That felt really good." I thought.

The spirits then returned to their business, outside the village.

I wanted to follow them but decided against it.

*Don't want to get lost again, besides, I'm cool here.

I began to wonder aimlessly around the party venue, there were a lot of people around chatting loudly, but the numbers were slowly decreasing, the kids were the first to leave, makes sense kids shouldn't stay up late.

I went back to the giant pot, i decided to look at that blue fire again.

The pot looked even bigger as i approached, and the flames... Mesmerizing.

I stood there, about 4 away from the fire, watching it wiggle, hearing the wood crackling.

*Ah, such a relaxing atmosphere.

After a couple minutes that passed like seconds, someone approached me from behind, then stood by my side, a male fairy that seemed to be in his early teens.

"Aloh hibaru." He said, i had already gave up on trying to communicate at this point, so i didn't react in any sort of way.

He seemed to get an idea then said...

"I. Spirit. Tongue. speak."

I felt something like a smile creeping up my face, that was probably just my imagination. well, it wasn't that strange to happy because someone can talk in a language you can understand in a foreign land.

I shone i little to let him know i understood.

"How. Feel. You?" He asked.

"!!" I glowed a little longer, to express happiness, or something positive.

He understood that.

"I. Too" he said.

He tried to say some more things for a while, but it was obvious that he was still learning how to speak, some sentences didn't make any sense, and sometimes he said some pretty weird stuff.

*Sprit tongue, huh? 

"Take." He said as he tried to hand me something, a small red crystal.

"Is good."

*Can't he see that I don't have arms?

He took his time, and in the end seemed to realize that.

Then he took the crystal and tried to make me take it or something, i didn't understand, he was just pushing the thing in my direction.

*My man, that'll pass right through me...

As i thought on the boy's slowness i felt something getting inside my body.

*Blegh.

I wanted to puke.

*That was?

The crystal, that crystal somehow got inside my body and.... I absorbed it.

I felt the crystal desintegrate inside me, i felt high tension inside of me, like i was being stretched, and after just a moment i felt something coming out of me, a familiar substance, it dissolved into the air.

My surroundings were lit if only for a few seconds, then went everything went back to normal as if nothing at all had happened.

I was slightly pissed at the boy who was smiling next to me.

I moved side to side aggressively but he didn't seemed to understand.

*Hahhh, kids!

<D+ Class Magic Crystal has been recycled.>

<Remnants were absorbed.>

<F class Light spirit has ranked up to F+.>

*Wait, what?

*What happened?

*Crystal recycled? It that... My thing? I recycle magic crystals?

*I'm gonna be honest, I'm slightly disappointed.

*Being a recycling bin doesn't sound that appealing, but if i think about it it is kind of a honorable position, right? Right?

Either way, it seems that i 'ranked up' what does that mean exactly? And remnants?

I decided to think about that later because...

"Bye." The boy said, waving his hand as he left.

*Nope, you're not gonna just disappear.

I began to follow him, after noticing that I wouldn't stop, he just shrugged.

He sat at the base of a tree where more boys and girls where, his friends presumably.

A girl asked him something when he sat on one of the tree's roots, she was pointing at me so i assumed she was probably asking him why there was a random spirit following him.

The boy answered her and she seemed confused by his answer.

She stood up, and approached me, she pulled out two crystals from a pouch she had tied up at her waist.

She put one crystal in my body, i didn't resist.

<F+ Magic Crystal has been recycled.>

"!!" My body glowed.

*Hm?

I expected something more, like a rank up or something.

"Whoa." They reacted.

She inserted another one.

<E+ Magic Crystal has been recycled.>

My body glowed again, it seems i glowed more for this one than the first she gave me.

Me glowing made her existed for some reason, i mean they are kids, fairy at that, can't complain if they are childish.

She asked the other ones to come, and they each brought at least two crystals.

They began treating me like some kind of toy, they used me to see who had better stones, who made the spirit glow the brightest.

And at some point, i began to like the sensation of absorbing those crystals.

<E- Class Magic Crystal has been recycled.>

<F+ class Light spirit has ranked up to E- >

They cheered everytime someone i recycled a E class crystal, because i glowed a little more than the lower class crystals.

From the 8 kids that were present, i got 21 crystals, 16 were F+,  5 were E- and i ranked up twice. I'm now an E rank light spirit, even though i don't know what that means.

The amount needed to rank up rose since the first crystal. I ranked up first by using one crystal, than 10 and then 11.

*I see, familiar mechanic, maybe i need considerably more crystals the more i rank up, the class also should have something to do with ranking up to. I don't know what that means, but surely ranking up is a good thing.

I decided to stay with the kids, i mean, one of them speaks my language and all of them can provide me with those crystals.

And this will definitely good for them too, I'm definitely useful.

"I have been extremely lazy these days and yeah, i kinda forced myself to write this chapter. Can't make you wait too long can i? Anyway, enjoy!"

Note: I'm still deciding whether M should learn the language or just use the ol'reliable, "magic fixes everything." But i think I'll probably choose the former.

3