Chapter 7: A Talk With Big Sis-M
645 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After May came back with the water. She gave the Ralts some food and snacks while the nurses helped Jennifer change out of her wet clothes and change the wet sheets of her bedding.

“Be careful not to play with water anymore!” The resident Nurse told Jennifer in a teasingly scolding tone.

Jennifer chuckled with a groan.

“Not if I can help it…” Jennifer told the woman vaguely. “But that is mostly up to my caretaker when I get dowsed with water and get a bath.” Jennifer teased with a wink towards the blue haired Ralts. Who, after hearing Jennifer’s teasing, started to blush in embarrassment at what happened.

Her siblings started to both tease her, while the younger sister scolded her older sister on being more careful.

          

May laughed at the Ralts siblings chatting away with each other while they ate.

She looked at the nurse before she left and asked her.

“May we get some food brought up here to eat? Maybe some soup or something easy to eat for Jennifer?”

The Nurse nodded her head.

“Sure, we can do that; no problem.” She told May. She then pointed at Jennifer with a smirk. “Just make sure you feed her this time, instead of letting the Ralts do it. It’s one thing if its water, and another if it’s hot soup.”

“Hey!” Jennifer called out. “She did her best.” Jennifer defended. “It was actually May who startled her: when she entered the room that she scared Ralts so bad, she ended up dropping the cup on me.”

May chuckled hearing this.

Look at you! Little miss not a trainer, defending her NOT Pokémon.

“Sure! Blame me why don’t you!” May groused in a teasing manner. She looked back towards the Nurse and nodded towards her. “I’ll make sure we keep the fun down to a minimum and try not to disturb you guys again.”

The nurse waved her off.

“It’s our job to assist our patients’ needs.” She told May with a smile, then gave a stern looking smile. “Just make sure it doesn’t happen too terribly often…” She warned her. “You are not the only patient in the hospital, understand?”

              

S-Scary! Jennifer thought as the nurse scowled at her.

                       

May watched in amusement, as Jennifer trembled at the authoritative tone the nurse spoke with.

       

“…R-Ralts…”

                

Hmm?

             

May looked over at the three Ralts sharing the chair with their snacks laid out in-front of them. They sat there trembling in fear at the nurses tone as well, as they responded to Jennifer’s emotions.

Oh yeah! May thought to herself. Those are definitely your Pokémon. A snide smile crept onto her face as she thought about rubbing this into Jennifer at a later date,

after she was comfortable with the idea of having her very own Pokémon that is.

“Y-Yes! I swear! We’ll behave!” She looked towards the trembling Raltses on the chair. “Right guys?!”

““R-Ralts! Ralts!”” The siblings said in unison.

The nurse’s expression changed to a softer one.

“Good,” She said to Jennifer. “I’ll keep you to that.” She looked towards the Raltses, with a gentle motherly smile. “And you three watch out for your trainer from now on, okay? Make sure she doesn’t over do it. Kay?”

“Alts!” The Shiny Ralts responded first.

““Alts!”” Her siblings copying her.

“H-Hey! I’m not a—… they aren’t my—… Oh forget it!…” Jennifer grumped as she put her one good arm across her chest, trying in vain to cross her arms and failing.

                             

“*SNORT* Ah-hahahahahaha!”

“Ahahahahahaha!”

“Ralts Ralts alts alts alts alts alts alts!”

““Ralts Ralts alts alts alts alts alts alts!””

Everyone but the grumpy Jennifer, started laughing at her disposition.

But that was just her outward appearance.

She was pretty happy herself.

While she wasn’t an actual fan of people mistaking her for a Pokémon trainer, she really like the Ralts siblings very much; she loved them in fact. Especially the eldest.

She felt a sharp stab of pain in her heart however, at the fact that to meet these wonderful children and get acquainted with them, their mother had to ultimately pay the price for it.

If only I was stronger…… If only I was faster…

If only I had powers like an actual Pokémon does, not just some dumb psychic parlor tricks, then maybe I could have saved her too…

                      

But she mentally shook herself from her melancholy. She didn’t want to linger on these depressing feelings and upset the Ralts siblings with her negative emotions.

She choose instead to focus on them, at their smiling, laughing expressions; on how happy they looked.

                    

I really hope I can do right by them Gradevoir: I really hope I can make your children happy.

                               

——————————————————

                                           

About thirty minutes later, right after the nurses had come back in after deliver Jennifer’s food. They were even nice enough to order food for both May and the Ralts siblings as well: even though it is usually something the hospital provides visiting guests.

As the nurse was leaving, she turned at the door and informed them.

“Be sure to take those Pokémon home with you this time, we usually don’t let people keep their Pokémon here over night, but we made an exception for that one.”

May nodded her head in understanding.

“Don’t worry, I will make sure to get them home tonight when I leave. Thank you for your accommodations; sorry for the inconvenience.”

The nurse nodded her head to May before turning to leave.

Now it was just May and Jennifer awake, with all three of the Ralts siblings sleeping on Jennifer’s good side: her arm securely pressed against them as she held them to her side.

May was sitting in a chair on her right side as well, staring at the faces of the three sleeping Ralts children.

She looked up and smiled at Jennifer.

“They’re wonderful aren’t they?”

Jennifer smiled back at May.

“Truly a blessing.” Jennifer agreed.

                                                

                        

“So yeah, hey? I have been meaning to ask, why was Ralts left here? What happened after I fell on conscience?” Jennifer asked May.

May laughed softly.

“Yeah, Arceus! You gave us all quite the scare there. You fell down after… after Gardevoir…” May shook her head to shake off the melancholy to get back onto the subject. “…Anyways, after she passed. You collapsed and the Raltses went nuts over how you fainted. But especially that one,” She pointed at the Shiny variant.

“The normal ones were crying and freaking out, but they let go when we went to pull them off of you. But her?!” May chuckled a the memory. “No one could pull her off of you, she cried and cried, and wouldn’t let go of you. It got to the point that were it was decided that, it was just going to be easier to leave her attached to you, as we hauled you both over to the hospital.” May explained.

Jennifer’s eyes went wide at hearing this. She looked down at the tiny Ralts.

“She’s stayed with me the whole time?” She was shocked in awe of how much this little Ralts cared for her so much.

“Yeah, it also ended up being Professor Yew who took you to the hospital in the end.”

“D-Dad did?!” Jennifer exclaimed in surprise.

“Yeah, he literally did the whole show up at the last minute thing, just like on T.V. But when your Shiny refused to get off of you, no matter how hard we pulled on her. Your dad just said: “J-Just throw them both in the van!” Is what he said.”

“First off, she is not my Shiny.” Jennifer denied. *SIGH* But of course he did, when things aren’t going right, he just tries the bull-headed approach.”

                 

*THWACK*

                  

“OUCH!”

                                    

May pulled back her hand after she flicked Jennifer.

“You’re one to talk missy!” May told her fiercely with an equally fiery expression “Do you have any idea how scared I was after watching you run off like that?! Huh?! You— *HIC* —You almost died two days ago! You! You!— *HIC* —You big stupid idiot!” May cried out as tears flowed from remembering that she could have easily lost her friend the other day.

The sight of May crying over Jennifer’s near death, made her realize just how truly selfish and truly reckless she was towards the people that truly cared about her.

She lifted her arm off of the Raltses for a moment, so she could reach over and grab May’s hand.

“I’m so sorry May!” Jennifer whispered in a quietly strained voice. “You’re right! That was dumb! And at one point, I thought I was truly going to die there… So thank you! You saved me……..” But even as her tears of gratefulness towards May; along with her fears and sadness of what happened came out. She looked firmly into May’s eyes.

“But I don’t regret what I did that day.”

May blinked at Jennifer’s words in surprise.

“What?”

Jennifer nodded.

“Yeah, I’m sorry to say this, but I don’t regret it: and if you ask if I me if I could go back and do things differently. The only thing I would change, is that I would have tried to get there faster; I don’t regret getting hurt for what I did. I’m so happy that I was there in time to save their lives… my only regret of that day now, is that I worried you and Dad, and that I couldn’t save their mother.” She pulled her hand back from May’s hand she was holding, to reach down towards the Shiny Ralts; her fingers brushing through Ralts’s hair.

“Mmm~ Ralts~” The eldest moans at her mistress’s gentle caress.

May smiled at her friend’s gentleness towards the Shiny variant.

“You like them don’t you?”

“……Yeah……” Jennifer admitted absentmindedly as she ran her fingers through Ralts’s hair.

                      

“You care about her a lot don’t you?” May lead.

“…Yeah…”

                   

“Then I want to ask you something Jennifer, a couple of things actually.”

Jennifer finally stopped petting Ralts for long enough to look back up at May.

                                             

May had a serious expression on her face, as she looked at her friend.

Right… real talk here; and please don’t take this the wrong way or get too angry with me: but do you think you might consider becoming a Pokémon Trainer now?”

          

“……………………………..”

           

Jennifer’s expression hardened, but she took a deep breath to calm down before she said anything.

Jennifer sent glower in May direction.

“Didn’t we have this conversation in the car already?”

May nodded.

“We did, and if you want me to drop it, I will.”

“Then drop it.” Jennifer told her firmly. But May held up a hand.

“Hold up, let me finish at least.” May interrupted with a snort of laughter.

“What is there to discuss? This is obviously about what happened in the woods today; about how hurt I was without a Pokémon.”

May nodded her head.

“That is part of it is, I won’t lie. But that is the selfish part of what I was going to say to convince you its time to think about getting a Pokémon.”

“I told you!” Jennifer hiss through gritted teeth. “I don’t want to be a trainer! End of story!”

“And that is all well and good,” May assured. “But things and circumstances have changed.” She said with a point towards the bed. “You have them.”

“No, I don’t.” Jennifer argued. “And they are certainly NOT MINE. I don’t own them. They are their own persons.” Jennifer told May firmly. “Just because they’ve shown up in my life through an extraordinary circumstance, doesn’t mean I need to consider being a trainer just because of three little Ralts.”

“Wow defensive much?” May accused.

“I just don’t like when people tell me to do something I think is wrong!” Jennifer growled.

“Then what about her?”

“What about who?” Jennifer asked confused.

“Her.” May pointed towards the blue haired Ralts.

“Her?”

“Yeah.”

“What about her?”

“That is what I’m asking, what about her? What are you planning on doing with her?”

“Why do I need to do anything?”

“Because you keep saying that you don’t want to own a Pokémon, or to be a Trainer: but what about what Ralts wants?”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Jennifer looked at May incredulously with a tad bit of frustration on the raise with her leading questions.

“Have you ever considered what Ralts wants? Maybe she wants to go with you.”

“I—…” Jennifer paused because, she knew the truth about this, having heard it directly from Ralts herself. “I—It doesn’t matter!” Jennifer argued.

“Of course it does!” May countered. “You said so yourself, in the car. You told me: Pokémon are people too. So shouldn’t you also consider what Ralts wants? Maybe she wants to stay with you, and for you to be her Trainer.”

“Why is it that I have to give up on my beliefs and my morals? Why is it that I have to accommodate Ralts, just because of what she might or might not want?”

“So what you’re saying is, that since Ralts is a Pokémon, it doesn’t matter what she wants, as long as it doesn’t get in the way of what you want?”

“I didn’t say that at all!” Jennifer shouted.

“Shhh!”

Jennifer bit her lip as the looked down at the sleeping Ralts; who to their relief, were still asleep.

May looked back at Jennifer.

“So it isn’t even worth trying then? Do you feel nothing for them after saving them? No sense of responsibility?”

“Didn’t say that! Arceus May?! What is with these questions all of a sudden?”

“I just want a straight answer Jen. Why is it that you can’t be this little Ralts’s trainer?” May whispered to her friend.

“Why is it that I have too?”

“What I want to know is, do you even care about Ralts at all and for what she wants?”

“Of course I do!”

“Then why do you bulk at the idea of her wanting to be your Pokémon?”

“Because it’s not what I want! I don’t want to be a Trainer, May!”

“Oh! I get it, so you only care about what Ralts wants, until it inconveniences you.”

“What?! NO! That’s not true!”

“Then why can’t she be your Pokémon?”

“Because she wants something that can’t happen!”

“And why can’t it be? Why can’t she have what she wants?”

“Because you don’t always get what you want!” Jennifer growled at her friend for asking her so many irritating questions.

                   

But to Jennifer’s surprise, May just sat back in her winged back chair, looking smug.

Why is she looking at me like that? What did she say? What did I say?

But before Jennifer had time to contemplate it further, May repeated.

“Because you don’t always get what you want… huh?” She said slowly with a pop of her lips. The smugness never disappearing.

                 

Oh Tauros crap…

                         

Jennifer closed her eyes as she just realized she had walked into a word trap set by her surrogate big sister.

She got me…

                    

“So would that apply to you as well?”

“……….What do you want May?…….. Why are you doing this?……….” Jennifer asked her friend in a whimper.

May face fell as she looked at her friend, who was on the verge of tears once again.

Darn it……

“Hey hey!” May called out gently and softly. “I didn’t mean to make you upset, or… maybe I did a little: but it was to show you how you weren’t being fair to Ralts.”

“Well! *SNIFF* mission accomplished!” Jennifer told May facetiously. “You made me realize what a Tauros’s ass I’m being!”

“And that wasn’t my intentions at all, and I’m sorry I hurt you, and I’m sorry I made you feel cornered and forced to do something you didn’t want to do.”

“But that was the point right? *SNIFF* To remind me that it isn’t always about what you want, if it involves two people? And that I haven’t been sticking to what I preached to you in the car, about treating Pokémon like people?”

“Partially, but look,” May told her friend. “all I wanted to do was, bring you around and show you what awesome friends you two can be together.” She pointed back towards the Ralts again. “Don’t you like her Jen?”

Jennifer looked over and watched as the sleeping Ralts at her side was resting her head again her.

                           

*BA-DUMP*

                         

“Wouldn’t it be fun to have her in your home? To play with everyday? To just talk to? Take care of? And just be your friend?”

                                

*BA-DUMP*

              

“You already said you like her, right? So what is the big deal on just letting her into your life, whether that makes you a Trainer or not?” May ask Jennifer with probing questions. “Can’t you see yourself walking around the house with her? Going to the lab with your dad and her? Cooking together? Wouldn’t that be great?”

           

“Of course!— *HIC* — it would!” Jennifer looked at May. “But I don’t want to be the thing that traps her to human life! She is a Pokémon! She deserves to be free!”

“But that isn’t what she wants. What I saw back in the PokéCenter: with how hard she clung to you; you won’t be able to convince me otherwise that she wouldn’t want to live with you, given the option.”

“I—…….” Jennifer hesitated.

“And I don’t need psychic powers to see that in only the short time you two have been together, their exists a special bond between the two of you.”

                        

                             

Jennifer felt as if the bed had somehow fell out from underneath herself.

              

Her eyes dilated as her pulse raised up higher.

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

                                     

Objects and things started to move farther away to her eyes. Like she was inside a long stretchy tunnel.

                     

She slowly looked over at May.

                              

How May had not said a word yet.

                          

May for her part, look as composed as she had just a minute ago, only now, she had a look of trepidation on her face, with a mixture of anticipation and smidge of fear.

                                

                             

She knows……. Jennifer realized.

                                       

                                          

                                               

                                               

“…You know...” Was all that Jennifer said.

             

May cocked her head to the side and gave Jennifer a very bad acting bit of a confused person.

“Know what?” She replied.

“May…. Don’t start…. You know, don’t you?” Jennifer accused.

         

“Hmm?… I’m not quite sure what you’re talking about?”

“Arceus Damnit May! I know you know! So tell me how you know?!” Jennifer shouted.

“Sshhh! You’ll wake them!” May whispered.

“Damnit May! This is important!— *HIC* —Please tell me! How do you know?!”

“You’re going to have to tell me what it is you’re talking about?” She replied to Jennifer.

“Why?! Why won’t you just tell me the truth that you know?”

“Know what?”

“You know very well what!”

“No,” May told Jennifer in a firm voice that got her attention. “I don’t… not unless you tell me…… Because…” May had to stop and take a shuddering breath. “Because I won’t know or believe anything, until my friend tells me.” She told Jennifer. “Because I want to wait for my friend, who I love as a sister, to feel comfortable enough to tell me herself.”

              

Jennifer blink at what May was implying.

“S-So i-if I don’t tell you………. You won’t tell anyone?”

         

May shook her head back and forth.

“I won’t,” She assured Jennifer with a loving smile. “Anything my sister tells me: I plan to just keep between me and her until my grave.” She promised.

            

The tears that were threatening to spill out, finally left Jennifer’s eyes and trailed down the sides of her cheeks.

                              

Jennifer took a deep and shuddering breath. As deep as her ribs would allow.

“…….I’m a psychic…….” She whispered.

                         

“Hmm? What was that? Not sure I heard you?” May teased Jennifer for her soft spoken confession.

                             

Jennifer rolled her eyes before she looked towards the tray behind May.

She smirked through her tear stained face, before lifting up the half-full cup from the tray.

Carefully lifting it higher and high, levitating it, so that it ended up above and behind May.

                 

“I said,” Jennifer began to say to May in a louder snarky tone.

                 

                   

*PLOP* *PLOP* *PLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLOP*

               

“HUH?! Wha?!— JENNY?!” May screamed in outrage as she had water pour onto her head.

Jennifer laughed as best as she was able to, without disturbing the Ralts siblings or hurting her ribs.

                  

That I’m a psychic. She sent her thoughts towards May.

May looked at her friend in frustration and with a playful mirth in her eyes.

“Yeah…. I noticed just now….”

May reached up and grabbed the floating cup and threw it at Jennifer’s head.

Which stopped in mid air before it could hit her.

Hey now! Jennifer protested. I am an injured patient here! With three adorable sleeping Pokémon laying besides me! How could you throw a cup at me?

“You poured water down my back!” May argued.

You deserved it… you’ve been pushing me all night, outside my comfort zone.

May had the good graces to look a shamed about what Jennifer had said.

“You’re right… and I’m sorry I was being a jerk… I’m just concerned for you after what happened… it really scared me Jen… I thought that— *SNIFF* —I thought… when I saw that Mightyena attacking you, that it was it for you; that I had lost my sister.” She gave Jennifer a watery smile as she said. “You said you wished you had gotten to the Ralts faster, I just wish I could have kept up with you and gotten there to help you faster.”

Jennifer looked away from May before apologizing again.

Sorry May…

May shook her head.

“Don’t, you already apologized already. It’s over and done. Well all tried our best.”

                 

“So?” May spoke after a minute “Do you already know what it is you want to do about them?” May said with a jerk of her towards the Ralts children.

“……………….” Jennifer’s expression also grew serious as she turned her head slightly to look at the children. “I’ve thought of something… it’s not much of a plan but… I want to put them up in my house for a while, just until they either evolve or I can find a suitable trainer to take them in.” Jennifer explained as she went back to using her fingers brush through Ralts’s hair.

“.……………………………………………”

Jennifer felt the piercing scowl rather than saw it herself.

What?!

“Is that really only how much you care for them?…….” May closed her eyes and sighed after saying that.. “…….. Sorry….. I didn’t mean that…… it’s just that, I just think it’s cold of you to do that. I think you are being nice to them for letting stay with you, don’t get me wrong. But I also think that what you suggested is a little cruel Jen.”

“What do you mean?” Jennifer questioned.

“You’re going to let them stay at your place. Get used to being someones pet, then trade them off to someone else after they get used to living with you… I really don’t like Trainers that do that.”

“But I’m not!— That isn’t what I’m— *SIGH* first off, I’m not a trainer, second off, isn’t it better for them to stay with me than to just drop them off in the woods again?”

“Yes, that is true, but there are also other options.”

“Like what?”

“Well, there is the Pokémon Daycare Center.”

“The what?”

“Oh? You never heard of that before? Hmm… how to describe it? It’s not like a traditional daycare center, like for kids. It’s more of a vacation camp ground for Pokémon. Trainers leave them there all the time, like if the go on vacation themself, of if you just want to let your Pokémon relax. It’s also a good place for your Pokémon to interact and socialize with other Pokémon. While they’re there, its been known that Pokémon get stronger and more healthier the longer they stay there.”

Jennifer’s eyes were wide after hearing this.

That place sounds amazing!

May nodded in affirmation.

“Yeah, it’s a really cool place……. Can get a bit expensive though.”

“Oh! It costs to keep them there?”

“Duh?!” May said while looking at her sister incredulously. “They staff there does more than just let your Pokémon run wild and have fun in their backyard! They feed them, groom them, and give them an environment that they’re comfortable with so that they can sleep there as well.” May shrugged. “It’s about a thousand per day, per Pokémon.”

Oh! That’s not as bad as I thought it might be. Jennifer comments

May rolled her eyes.

“Says the rich girl from the rich family!”

“H-Hey! I’m not the multimillionaire of the two between us!” Jennifer argued. “What with all that prize money you’ve won, the sponsors, the adds, and the endorsements, and even your very own line of PokéBlocks that you sell—“

“Aahh! Ah ah!” May freaked out at her friend pointing out her success and covered her mouth with her hand. “S-Stop! No more!”

Jennifer smirked at her.

And with the tournaments you’ve won as well! Not to mention your dad’s money!

“UGH! I forgot you were psychic there for a moment! I can’t just cover your mouth and shut you up anymore!” May said as she flopped back down onto her chair.

Ha ha! Jennifer thought with a gloat.

May smiled at her before she asked Jennifer the obvious question.

“So? When did it start? Have you always been psychic?”

Jennifer nodded.

Yeah, I have been.

“Wow! So you’ve been hiding it this whole time?!”

“Well…. Not—… yeah… I guess so sure… you are technically the first human that I’ve told.”

“Ah! Gotcha!” May smiled at her but then had a questioning look on her face. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner? Was there a reason you couldn’t?”

“I—…. *SIGH*” I thought about it. Jennifer decided to tell May through thought rather than speak it. It was more your fault that I didn’t do so sooner.

“Ehh?!— My fault?!” May questioned while looking at Jennifer incredulously.

Yeah… you made me feel normal…

May was almost stunned to hear Jennifer’s reason for this.

“Normal?”

Yeah… my mom knows, obviously enough. Hard to hide something like this when you’re growing up. But on the flip-side, she was also the one to encourage me to hide it to begin with.

“Why? I admit, while psychics are rare, they aren’t anything to be ashamed of. Lots of gym leads are psychics. I’ve met quiet a few myself on my travels.” May questioned.

It was mostly for my own safety.

“Yours?! Why?!”

Well, as you may well know, there are two groups of people in Ejapul. Those who belong to the modern conservative group, and those who belong to the traditional one. My mother being squarely centered inside the conservative group as their leader: as the traditionalists have ties with the terrorist group Team Dunes.

“Right, those fanatics assholes.” May got angry thinking about the people that hurt her little sister.

Right… them… anyways! Mother was afraid if the traditionalists found out about my psychic abilities, they would use me as a spearhead for their agenda with convincing people that their Pokémon God had blessed me with “the gift”

“The gift?”

Yeah… this is what separates the fanatics and the conservatives. You know how Arceus is the true God of the universe right?

“*SCOFF* Who doesn’t?” May quipped sarcastically.

The traditionalists don’t: They believe that basically all powerful legendary Pokémon should be revered as the Gods they aren’t. That it’s only with their blessing do we have dominion over lesser Pokémon.

“Wow… that is umm…”

Yeah… I know… I really think they have some screws loose. They also say that people such as myself, are descendants of the God Pokémon themselves, who were blesses with abilities of psychic Pokémon.

“Okay yeah, that is just—“

“Ridiculous?” Jennifer supplied helpfully.

“Yeah, that… So your mother taught you to hide it?”

“Yeah.” She didn’t want me to be found be the religious fanatics, so she had her other gym leader friend come and teach me. Jennifer smiled at May. And why I said it was your fault, is because I thought for the longest time, I was some sort of weirdo, something mom was ashamed of. It wasn’t until we met May, and you became my first friend, that I started feeling like a normal girl again. You made me feel like all the problems I was going through were normal to have, that it wasn’t strange to be mad at your parents, or to hate their job, or dislike Pokémon,—

“Which you didn’t.” May pointed out.

Which I didn’t, you’re right, but that is not the point. The point being, is that you made me feel so normal, rather than special. *SNIFF* I was scared to tell you then… scared to become something other than just your little sister Jenny to you, I didn’t want to be special: I wanted to be normal; a normal little girl, with normal parents that had normal jobs… that is all I wanted…

May smile turned watery as she listened to her sister’s sadness at being scared of what she was.

“But you are normal Jenny, you are completely and utterly normal girl, with completely normal psychic powers.” She stood up and leaned over Jennifer to kiss her forehead. “And psychic powers or not: you’re still my little sister.”

Tears spilt out the side of Jennifer’s eyes.

“…Thank you big sis-M! That means so much to hear you say that!… *YAWN*”

May chuckled at her friend’s sudden tiredness.

She has had a pretty emotional day.

“I should get going now and let you rest.” May whispered softly to Jennifer.

“Okay… I’ll see you later…”

“Yup, I’ll just take the kids.—“

But as she went to grab them. Jennifer’s arm blocked her.

You can leave them.

May gave her a quizzical look.

“You’re going to get in trouble with the nurses later.” May warned her.

I’ll be fine. She told May. I just… I don’t want to disturb them… and they comfort me just by being here.

May smiled at her NOT Trainer friend.

“Alright, I understand.” She leaned down and kissed her sister’s head again. “Goodnight Jenny.”

“Good night big Sis-M.” 

As May was leaving, she shut the lights off on her way out, while leaving the door open a crack to let light inside the room.

Jennifer smiled at that old habit May felt Jennifer still needed.

She looked down at her Pokémon laying beside herself and smiled at their sleeping figures.

Good night babies. I love you.

Then Jennifer herself, drifted off to sleep.

38