Side Chapter 1: The Usual Suspects
600 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She had just come out to the side road where the reported rabid Pokémon was spotted.

She had parked her vespa next to her fellow officer’s cars. She blew a bubble out with the gum she was chewing on. Watching it expand as an officer matched up to her.

It popped just as she got to her.

“Good evening Sergeant Jenny! It’s good to have you here!”

“Thank you private, report on what we know.”

“Yes ma’am!” The Private officer pulled out her note pad and started reading off their findings. “It’s the same as the other eleven cases so far ma’am. A Pokémon viciously attack other wild Pokémon in the area. There was also another human victim reported along with this case as well ma’am.” She flipped her notes on her pad until she got to the relevant information.

“A one, Jennifer Barakat, age fourteen, newly arrived Ejapul. Oh hey, she has the same first name as you, would you look at that?”

Sergeant Jenny rolled her eyes at her private becoming distracted so easily.

“The report private, stick to the report.” She scolded lightly.

“R-R-Right! Umm?! Ah… AH! Here we go!”

“After receiving the report of a strong evolved Pokémon loose within the area, officers were dispatched to here in order to subdue and confirm whether or not this Pokémon has any relations to the current case at had. After a small skirmish, the officers on duty were able to subdue the Pokémon, but not before knocking out eight of the officers Pokémon.”

Sergeant Jenny raised an eyebrow at that.

“Eight huh?” She commented as she looked towards the woods.

“Yes ma’am!” The mousey officer confirmed.

“…They’re getting stronger…”

“Ma’am?”

But her Sergeant shook her head.

“It’s nothing for right now private, continue with your report.”

“Right, as I was saying: after finally knocking out the Pokémon, the officers on duty were finally able to catch it, but after several failed attempts at catching it with standard and police issued PokéBalls, it was concluded that the evolved Pokémon in the low evolution area is none other than a trainer’s Pokémon let loose to terrorize the local Pokémon.”

              

Sergeant Jenny couldn’t help but release a sigh.

“Of course it is… I would have like this to just be a normal over population growth case for once, but it looks like we’re not going to get that luxury anytime soon.” Sergeant Jenny bemoans.

The private shook her head remorsefully.

“Doesn’t seem that way Sergeant Jenny.” She agreed.

Sergeant Jenny nodded her head.

“What of the Pokémon? Which is it?”

“Ah!” The private responded by flipping back through her notes quickly in search of the information. “Ah-ha! Here we go! It was a one, Mightyena Sergeant Jenny.”

“So… Another Dark type, and another evolved variant of the area where it might be common for an evolved to be discovered in a low evolution area……”

The private was already nodding before her Sergeant was finished speaking.

“That’s correct! Same as with the other ten cases.” The Private said as she flipped her notes back over to another page. “Two Cacturne, two Sharpedo, one Sableye, two Shiftry, one Absol, and this is the third Mightyena.”

“Was this area a previous zone where one of those abandoned Pokémon were found?”

“Umm…” The Private officer mumbled while she flipped through her notes. “Negative: It doesn’t look to be so, Sergeant Jenny.”

“…And what was the last location an abandoned Pokémon was found?”

“Uuummmm?!” The Private searched through her note to provide her Sergeant an adequately quick response. “That would be a Shiftry ma’am, up at route one-fourteen.”

“Tsk! So no where near here… just great!” Sergeant Jenny groaned. “This is starting to look like another dead end.”

“I’m sorry ma’am…” The tiny Private officer apologized for their lack of evidence.

Sergeant Jenny shook her head.

“It’s not your fault Private. It’s these trainers who are releasing these Pokémon and letting then run wild and hurt people, without destroying their Pokémon balls.”

“Why do you think they’re doing this?” The Private asked her Sergeant hoping she had the answers.

“I don’t know… This ends up being an inconvenience at most, or a deliberate act of endangerment to civilians life at most: but worst of all, this is disturbing, and has the potential to disturb the ecosystem in these areas.”

“…No way!..” The Private said shocked.

The Sergeant nodded.

“Way…… And to make matters only worse, if this gets more out of hand, this could disrupt trainers’ lives as we know it: think if a young kid came into this area looking to catch a Poochyena or a wurmple? But instead found one of these rabid abandoned strong Pokémon instead.”

The private gasped as she thought of what might happen to them.

“Oh no! My little brother just got his first Pokémon recently! If we don’t find this person who is recklessly abandoning these Pokémon it will—“

“We will have to close down areas and routes, along with banning travel, as well as keep people from going into Pokémon areas: lots of new trainers are going to have to suspend their Pokémon journey.”

“No way…” The private said in disbelief.

Sergeant Jenny shook her head.

“Afraid so… and it is not looking good either, since they aren’t leaving any sort of trails or evidence for us to follow.”

“We have to do something Sergeant Jenny! My brother’s journey depend on it! Isn’t there anything we can do?!”

“Well? Not without a psychic to read these Pokémon’s minds… but they seem to be using Dark types exclusively. Which means they’re immune to most psychic abilities or memory probing: on top of that, headquarter’s isn’t willing to pay for a psychic’s help unless we have some evidence that this is a malicious intent to disrupt the ecosystem in someway.”

“…No… …way…” The Private bemoaned hopelessly. “Then what do we do?”

 “Only what we can, with what we have. Is there any other information in regards to the incident? Anything at all? Start from the very beginning and run through it to me again. Even the smallest detail could be important.”

The Private saluted her Sergeant enthusiastically.

“Yes ma’am!”

She then flipped through her notes before coming to a stop.

“The report is as follows: At seventeen-hundred and thirty four hours two days ago, a call was made to the local area about a wild evolved Pokémon being seen in an area of the woods, approximately forty minutes away by vehicle.”

“Was this the victim of this attack who called it in? The foreigner from Ejapul?”

But to her surprise, the Private shook her head.

“Negative: it was a one, May Senri, a local from Petalsberg City who reported the incident.”

“May Senri? Norman Senri’s daughter? The Gym Leader?” Sergeant Jenny listed off from memory the person in question.

“Oh! You know her already?”

“Pfft! Know her, I met her in person before she became the famous big shot that she is now!” Sergeant Jenny bragged.

“Is she famous?”

The Sergeant looked at her Private incredulously then realized something.

“Right! You’re from Kanto aren’t you?”

“Yes ma’am! Born and raised there! I only just recently transferred to Hoenn after my family moved here.”

“Right… Well, May is a legend from these parts. Not only is her father a famous gym leader, she is famous on her own, in her own rights. She is a famous Pokémon coordinator who has won varying ribbons from all across Hoenn, Sinnoh, Johto and Kanto regions. She’s also placed first in many other contests as well!” The Sergeant explained to her Private excitedly.

Her Private just looked up at her with a blank blinking expression.

Ugh!… I said to much.

“*AHEM* A-Anyways! Yeah, she is a pretty big deal around these parts, so of course I know her.”

The Private gave a girlish giggle.

“Sounds to me that it’s more than a little~ Are you her fan by chance?~” She

“*AHEM* Private… the report?” Sergeant Jenny firmly reminded her Private.

“Wa-ah-ah! Sorry! It… umm?… let’s see… ah! Here!” She pointed at her notes. “May Senri reported at five-thirty-four, that her friend was attacked by a wild evolved Mightyena.”

“Wait, stop there.” The Sergeant called out to her Private. “She was friends with the victim?”

The Private nodded her head.

“Yes ma’am!” She acknowledged.

“Interesting… This could lead some where,”

“Why is that Sargent?”

“Could be something, or could be nothing as of right now. But from what stories I’ve heard about May Senri, is that she has had many intense and close encounters with different criminal organizations: such as the two formerly famous ones of Team Aqua and Team Magma.”

“Oh! I heard about them! They were to two fanatics that tried to destroy the world right?”

Sergeant Jenny nodded her head.

“That is right, and from the reports, May played no small part in stopping them as well.”

“Wow! She really is famous!….” The Private said in wonder.

Officer Jenny nodded her head.

“That’s right. And where she goes, trouble is usually there to fallows her. So we might need to enlist her help, or at the very least, put a tail on her encase she encounters any sort of trouble in regards to abandoned Pokémon again.”

“Is this the lead and evidence we were looking for?!” The Private asked excitedly.

But her Sergeant shook her head.

“No, but it’s close. If only we had a little more… maybe it would get us somewhere… you said she was friends with the victim? What is their relationship?”

“Ah right!” She replied after a quick scan of her notes. “May Senri, had supposedly went to the airport to go retrieve her friend, Jennifer Barakat, who was flying home after leaving Ejapul.”

“Home?”

“Right!” The Private confirmed. “Apparently Jennifer Barakat has a duel citizenship from between Ejapul and Hoenn. As her mother is from Ejapul and her father is apparently a local professor here in Petalsberg.”

“Okay, that isn’t bad on the investigation front as far as people goes.” The Sargent praised her Private. “But what was the reason this Jennifer girl being in the woods to begin with? Was she there to catch some Pokémon and was attacked by the Mightyena?”

“Negative ma’am,” The Private told her without looking up from her notes. “Apparently, from what the report says: as they were driving, heading back towards Petalsberg, Jennifer became fixated on the woods for a moment before demanding May stop the car. She then Jumped out, running on foot towards the woods.”

“Is there a reason given why she jumped and ran into the woods?”

“Umm… the Reports say why she did, but nothing as to what triggered the why ma’am.”

“What do you mean?”

“From the report of the officer who took the call ma’am, and from further questioning the next day: That Jennifer had somehow heard or knew that an attack was taking place from within these woods.”

“There was a second victim?!”

“If you can call it that: it was just a Gardevoir ma’am; just a Pokémon.”

“……………..”

“Ma’am?”

“That is interesting…”

“Ma’am?” The Private repeated in calling her Sergeant’s attention.

Officer Jenny looked back down at her private.

“So? What happened next? Please finish the report.” Sergeant Jenny instructed.

“Right!” The Private saluted before going back to reading. “Apparently, after somehow knowing about the attacking Mightyena, young fourteen year old Jennifer Barakat, rushed into the woods to go confront the Mightyena alone, who had already defeated the Gardevoir and was about to attack her three Ralts children as well.”

“It had her children with her……”

“Is that important ma’am?” The Private questioned.

“Very, but continue.”

“Right, where was I?…. There we are! After Jennifer Barakat found the clearing where the attack was taking place, she confronted the Mightyena herself.”

“Okay, what Pokémon did she use to battle it.”

“………………..”

“Private?”

“She didn’t…”

“What?!” Sergeant Jenny exclaimed in confusion.

“She apparently doesn’t have any Pokémon: because she isn’t a trainer at all.”

“Wait wait wait!… are you telling me? That some teenager ran into the woods and tried to save a bunch of Ralts and their mother Gardevoir by herself, barehanded?!”

“That, is what is in the report ma’am.”

“What were her injuries?”

“Severe abdominal trauma, along with four broken ribs. In addition she also received a bite wound that not only caused severe hemorrhaging, in addtion, it also broke her collarbone, shoulder and humerus ma’am.” The Private detailed.

Officer Sergeant Jenny winced at the report on the damaged the person with her namesake received.

“So a girl, fresh off of a trip by plane from Ejapul, is coming home to visit her local father, who is friends with a local superstar, ends up getting attacked by a probable Pokémon ecoterrorist…”

“That sums it up very nicely ma’am.” The Private praised her Sergeant for her way to summarize the situation.

“Hmm….. There is something here… I just don’t know what it is, or what to make of it…” Sergeant Jenny looked back up at the Private before asking her what was on her mind. “Have we had a follow up with the victim?”

Disappointingly, her Private shakes her head.

“No ma’am. She apparently has been unconscious for almost two days now.”

“Damn… then write this down.” She instructed the Private.

“Yes ma’am!”

“Have someone go and do a follow up with this Jennifer Barakat, immediately as she wakes up. We’re going to need some answers and her side of the story from her.”

“Understood ma’am.” She saluted. “Is there anything else? I can do for you?”

“Have you finished telling me everything in the report?”

“For the most part ma’am.” She flipped her notebook back opened to the spot they were at previously. “The only only thing of note, was that after Jennifer was attacked, May Senri showed up to have her Glaceon attack and defeat the Mightyena with an Iron Tail and an Ice Shard attacks.”

“………..”

“Ma’am?”

“There was no reports on what made Jennifer Barakat run off to begin with?”

The Private did a quick scan of her notes before she shook her head.

“No ma’am: May Senri said that her friend, Jennifer Barakat, didn’t give her a reason as to why she needed to stop the car.”

“…………………………”

“What are you thinking ma’am?”

“………Just a hunch………..”

“A hunch ma’am?”

“Yes…. Is the clearing far?”

The Private shook her head.

“Not far ma’am, just into the woods. I suspect it’s about a five minute, seven minutes walk tops, to get from here to the clearing from the roadside.”

Her Sergeant nodded her head.

“Okay, wait here and sit in the car with the windows down.”

“Ma’am?”

“Just do it Private. We’re about to do an experiment.”

“Yes ma’am!” The Private saluted.

Sergeant officer Jenny nodded at her Private’s diligence, before turning and walking away.

Private Aviary sat in the patrol vehicle while she waited for Sergeant Jenny to return.

“#Private Aviary, report in. Over.#”

She grabbed the microphone off of her vest and held it to her mouth.

“This is Private Aviary here reporting. Over!”

“#Good. Listen for some sounds that I am about to make; listen very carefully. Over.#”

“Understood! Over.”

After about a minute had passed, she thought that maybe she did something wrong. That she had missed what she was supposed to be listening for.           

                              

                         

But then very faintly she heard some noise finally.

“……….ooooouuuuu…………..”

               

It was about a thirty seconds later after she heard the sound of a canine Pokémon howling that she thought she heard something more.

             

“…OOOOUUUUOOOOO…”

                             

A another minute passed before anything else happened.

                         

                           

                                  

*BANG*

*BANG*

*BANG*

                   

The sound of gunfire making Private Aviary jump in her seat.

                  

“#Private Aviary, report in. Over#”

She grabbed her microphone from off the floor of the cruiser after dropping it from the shock of hearing gun fire.

“This is Private Aviary reporting ma’am! Do you need back up?! Over!”

           

There was a ten second gap of silence before she heard anything back.

“#Hahaha! Sorry about that Private, that was the test, didn’t mean to startle you. Over#”

Aviary felt her face turning red from embarrassment at having heard her Sargent laughing at her worry.

“You’re a bit late for that!….. Over!” She groused with a cross of her arms.

“#Sorry sorry, I promised to fill you in next time. Now? Did you hear anything? And if you did: would you be able to tell it was a Pokémon’s cry of distress? Over.#”

“Well I certainly heard the gun go off!” Aviary said testily. “But other than that, the first howl from you Growlith was to quite for me to hear; the second was louder, but I am not sure I would have paid attention to it if I was in my car driving down the road with the window down. Over.”               

                   

                

                                  

Sergeant Jenny smiled as she spoke into the Microphone.

“That was my Arcanine Private, much louder than a Growlith or a Ralts and or Gardevoir… and I do believe Private, that we may have just found our lead. Over.”

35