Chapter 16
2.5k 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"But, that's not a problem. Because from the start, we adventurers have always risked our lives on every trip. So, it's like compensation money given to our family if we die. "

"Oh, I see. "

It looks like I really can't depend too much on her.

"However, because I took a mission outside the guild. Then we'll be free of some hassle; then, I won't have to bother paying taxes to every kingdom. "

I just kept quiet while continuing to listen to her explanation.

"That's why from now on, you can only trust me, Samejima Maiko. "

"Yes, I know it. "

Then she took out a card and a quill.

"Write your name on this card; this way, I can form a party with you. "

"Yes. "

I also wrote my nickname there. At least this way, I hope my pursuers aren't after Lenora and me.

"This needs to be done to make sure we both pass the royal inspection. "

"I just knew it could be this easy. "

After that, she put the card back.

"There seems to be a different system in our two countries, but you have to get used to this. "

"I will try. "

"Next, we will find a detour to get to the city of Zuiderfort. We'd better go south. "

"I will follow your advice. "

"I did this action so that you would not get into trouble due to the conflict carried out by the kingdom in the north. Even so, this path was quite dangerous as there were quite a several monsters roaming around. "

It turned out that this place was as dangerous as the forest where I had lived before.

"At least, I can do some small magic. although I don't think it helps much. "

"Yeah, that's much better than being able to do nothing. I think we can share the work from now on. "

Lenora also tapped my shoulder while saying that.

"I will do it. "

"If we already have fighting formation, this journey should be a little easier. We can talk about it again once your body is completely healed. Now, it's time for me to emphasize our true purpose. "

"Yeah, I'll listen well. "

"First, just do my bidding while we're on our way. That way, our chances of survival will be relatively high; we usually need 4 to 5 people to form a powerful party. Still, your finances definitely won't be able to afford to hire them. "

"Yeah, that's all I can do with your suggestion. "

"Second is your primary goal. Once we reach the city of Zuiderford, immediately look for your friend. We can't stay there too long. "

"But, why can't we stay there long enough? "

"Because it's the third-largest slave-trading city if we don't have enough money and power. We could end up being souvenirs for the townspeople. "

"It turns out the city is that bad...."

Was that God sure? Someone Ameyama Mamiko is there.

"I think all cities are the same; we just need to avoid trouble as much as possible. However, since the city of Zuiderford is in the kingdom of Zagia, which is famous as a slave gathering country, there will be quite many types of trouble there. "

"I'm starting to understand the situation from where we are going. "

"Even so, it's entirely possible that your friend was there because of so many arrests from people who lost the war. Maybe she was terrible luck to get there. "

"I hope she's still alive. "

Because if she's already dead, God may leave me because I'm useless in fulfilling my duty. I can't die before getting my revenge.

"We can only hope that your friend is still there. Then, let's get to the last point on what to do. "

"Is this thing much more critical?. "

"Yeah, like I said before. Since you have given me a guarantee, then I will fulfill my duty. It's just that we need to do something else so that our agreement can be adequately reached, in other words, while on the way we must raise money to pay for the ring your mother gave and to buy freedom from your friend if she becomes a slave. "

"Eh, you will return the ring my mother gave back?. "

"I'm not such a wrong person to take valuable things from other people's property, just for now, let me keep it so that robbers or bandits do not target you for bringing something flashy like this. "

"Yes, I believe in you. Thank you very much for wanting to return it; I will pay whatever you want from our earnings. "

I was about to prostrate in front of her, but she stopped me.

"Why do you easterners always do things like this? You don't have to do it. This also concerns my principle of helping other women in need. "

"Once again, thank you very much for your kindness. I will reply someday. "

"Just by receiving your payment is enough for me, let's think about the distribution of the money, how about 70% for me and 30% for you?. "

"Yes, I agree. "

"Eh, you don't protest about this? "

She seemed surprised by my answer.

"At least, I will get free food, and the money can be used for my savings. "

"It seems you are very understanding in this matter. But, are you sure you will accept it? "

"Yes, because my life would be greatly helped if you managed to help me save my friend. Such a price is meager if I can get help from you. "

"It seems I'm too much; okay, I'll change it to 1 to 1. I'm sorry for intending to take advantage of you. "

"Uh, but why. Will that money be enough to pay you? "

"That's not it; if you get only 30%, I don't think your money will be enough to buy a single slave there. So, I'll add your share regardless of how much money we make along the way. "

What she said made me realize the meaning of this trip.

"I understand; I will accept your offer. "

"Looks like we've agreed. "

She extended her hand to me; I also did the same so that we could shake hands.

"Okay, now it's time for me to go out to do what is my duty; I entrust this place to you, Maiko. "

"Yes, leave it to me, Lenora. "

"Then I'll go first. "

With that, Lenora went to make sure things were happening.

A few days passed after Lenora decided to help me, which meant it was time to prepare to leave this place.

Since earlier, Lenora had started loading all the equipment while we were in this cave.

At least I've been able to help her a little.

"Is your body okay, Maiko?."

"It's okay; the pain is gone. We can go any time. "

"Seeing you in clothes like this makes me feel that you are eastern. "

She was carrying a big bag.

"Am I too conspicuous? "

"Yes, we should start buying standard equipment for you. Since we came to Zuiderford, you need to be able to blend in. "

"Okay, I'll follow your lead. "

Then, I also carried a bag that was smaller than Lenora's.

"Looks like we can go soon, follow me. "

"Yes. "

Finally, today I was able to get out of the cave where I had been hiding all this time.

When I was outside the cave, the warmth of the sun and the sound of birds chirping seemed to be welcoming me.

Being out in the open like this is something I miss.

"It seems you are pleased with nature, huh. "

"I'm used to living with this kind of situation, so I do miss this kind of atmosphere a bit. "

"I see, let's go. "

Then, the two of us headed south.

On this trip, I saw many new types of plants; what grew here was completely different from the bamboo forest I used to walk through.

"Do you still remember about our itinerary Maiko?."

"Yes, we will pass through six cities before reaching Zuiderford. "

"Even if I say that, I think maybe we'll be mainly staying outdoors. "

"I'm used to it too. "

"If that's the case, I guess I have nothing to worry about. "

"Then, as long as you keep an eye on this place. What things happened?. "

"There is not much movement because the place is quite close to the beach. There were only fishermen and the royal army of Archana who were chasing the bandits who attacked the village. The rest, there are only wild animals that are their habitat here. "

"Is it prone to bandits like them here? "

"That's how it is; although this area does belong to the Archana kingdom, not many of their soldiers are assigned here. Therefore, most bandits would often launch attacks here. Because many residents seek income from marine products. "

This section is also the same as an empire.

"But, why didn't the Archana Kingdom deploy troops to destroy them, a small group like them wouldn't be able to survive if a kingdom hunted them down. "

"There were many things that caused it; it's just that the government didn't have time to finish off people like them. Many kingdoms fight over each other's territory. Moreover, there are still many other problems for the royal troops to solve. There's nothing good about being a part of them. "

"Why is that ?."

"Looks like your knowledge of this continent is limited, huh?"

"Yes, because from the start, I have never traveled abroad. "

"That's right, at least you know the name of this continent, right? "

"As I recall, the name of this continent is Mize. Then, there was a lot of bad news that I received from teachers in the country I came from. "

"That's true; even the same thing happened here. Many kingdoms are fighting for power to become the sole ruler of this quite fertile land in this Mize continent. Therefore, the peace you usually feel where you live will very rarely be seen. "

"How do you know that the place where I live is in peacetime? "

Supposedly, not much information about you is known by foreigners.

"Of course, because of the news from one of my friends, he is a sailor who often stops by the eastern region. If I'm not mistaken, he came to the country of Imizu; it's the only port that often receives guests."

"Yes, the Imizu Empire is indeed open to foreigners. Therefore, they could gain a strong position there. "

"So everything he said was true; I thought it was all bullshit. I'll apologize if I see him again. "

As we walked, we unknowingly passed through the forest where we had taken refuge. Now there is only a stretch of meadow waiting in front of us.

"Is this the direction we're headed? "

"Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that. "

"However, this place looks pretty safe to walk through. "

"Look to your right. "

When I looked to the right, I could see some rotting corpses.

"How come did I not realize because this relatively high grass covered it. "

"This usually happens to people who first come to this continent, especially in the Archana kingdom's territory. From now on, watch your feet when you walk because those damn bandits set many traps. "

"I will be careful. "

Then, I walked again, following Lenora.

"This place is indeed suitable for people who are looking for death. "

"But, why would they choose a place as beautiful as this just to die? It would be better to take advantage of the beauty of this place to discourage suicide. "

"You think, what causes the plants here to thrive. After all, it wasn't just humans who were here. "

"Could it be all of this...."

"Of course, because humans themselves are the nutrition for this place, then there are still wild animals and the sudden appearance of monsters. So, at night is the worst time to be here. "

I feel lucky to have asked for her help.

"Looks like you helped me. "

"Luck is indeed on your side; if I don't guide you, maybe your life will only be lost a few days later. "

"There's nothing wrong with what you said. "

Is this one of the forms of help that God gives? I can only be grateful for this.

"There are several ways to determine this type of dangerous place. However, the most important thing is the experience itself. "

Suddenly she pulled out her knife and threw it somewhere.

"Was there an attack? "

"It's over; it's just a green scout snake. It usually appears if there is prey in their territory. "

She walked over to get the knife back.

"Looks like I realized it too late. "

I didn't hear any movement around us at all.

"I told you before; it's an experience that will help you survive. Let's go again; we should be out of this place in half a day. "

"yes. "

23