Ch-106: The Great Ritual Of The Old Covenant
917 2 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the dining table, Athena was eating her breakfast at a rapid pace but with an unexplainable elegance still kept her image, she had already changed into a complicated and gorgeous baroque dress with a purple velvety wreath of flowers on her head, similar to one she had in her adult form. 

Roy felt that the wreath on Athena's head surely created a beautiful contrast with the silvery moon white hair, as if she didn't wear it, one would feel that something was lacking.

Athena seemed to be a little unaccustomed to this kind of exceeding gorgeous finery, kept frowning, stretching it left and right, with a pouty distress look on her face. 

"King, John Pluto Smith, the Godslayer of the American continent has sent you a personal letter. He wants to ask for your help to solve a problem. The American Godslayer expressed his regret mentioning that he should have personally come to Italy to invite you but because of some major issues he can't leave North America, so he can only request for help by sending a letter, he hopes that king can go to North America, and he will come to apologize personally when king arrives there."

Every day, Erica will report to him the latest big events in the mysterious circle or other important issues related to him at morning breakfast, just like a personal secretary.

He is now accustomed to having Erica help him solve these tedious tasks, and occasionally he also thinks that if Erica was gone someday, of course he would not let that happen, he would have a severe toothache coming up in handling these 'trival' but tasking matters.

"John Pluto Smith? We don't even know each other right? I'm not interested in traveling so far to help him solve some problem. Just refused and tell them I am not free."

He didn't even contemplate for a moment and said directly.

A joke, a letter with some words and someone wants to summon him for help, he is not that kind of overly warm-hearted person like the protagonists of general shounen mangas.

"Understood, I will decline the American Godslayer's invitation in a tactful tone."

Erica nodded in response, not surprised by Roy's decision.

If figures like Smith have something to ask for, any mage associations absolutely cannot and dares not to refuse, but their king is different. 

He is also a Campione, and he is a godslayer with the same fierce reputation as the Leader Of The East. For John Pluto Smith's request, he can casually wave his hand to refuse.

And as the subordinates of such a prestigious Campione, the entire Italian mage association can stand up with their heads held high and can be superior and advantaged when facing the colleagues from other countries. 

Erica does not have to be afraid of other 'kings' while keeping their king's stand, because she represents him.

"Wait a minute, Erica, don't rush to refuse."

He raised his hand to stop her, his 'Eye Of The Yore' found something that made him very interested. This time Smith's request for help made Roy discover that it was related to an item, and that item is the legendary divine artifact, both symbolically and physically—The Holy Grail! 

"What does that masked tin can's matter have to do with Roy Crowley? She requested me first, not that I requested to her, so let her wait in the North American continent. When I have a leisure mind in the future, maybe I will pay a visit. Before I go there, she can solve the matter by herself!" 

Although with his 'Eye Of The Yore', he saw the legendary Holy Grail, the "Black Prince" Alexander Gascoigne has also been looking for this artifact which is rebuked to be just another fake glorified legend in the entire mysterious circle.

But his clairvoyance can only see the past. He cannot see the present or the future.

Therefore, all he can do is to speculate the facts based on past information. After knowing that the Holy Grail was indirectly involved with the request of the Campione of North America this time, what he wanted to do was to actually watch from the sidelines, like a patient hunter and wait until the Holy Grail and its master roaming in the netherworld appear in the material world. 

* * * 

Athens is the capital and largest city of Greece. It is located at the southern tip of the Balkan Peninsula. In the past, it was under Marquis Voban's region of influence but now this region's mysterious side is loyal to him.

He cannot fully entrust his certitude to these mage associations like the "Seven Sisters" in Italy, but these magicians dare not deceive and perfuse him as the 'king'.

Just as when the presidents and the prime ministers travel to other countries, governments of the visiting country welcome them. 

Similarly, as a 'king', regardless of where he goes, he will naturally have a group of local mage associations to listen to the king's orders.

"King, why did you labelled the King of the North America as 'she'?"

Compared to Liliana, who remains mostly quiet and holds herself as a serious knight in public, Erica prefers to express her own existence. 

This beautiful and shrewd next Commander-in-Chief of the Italian "Bronze Black Cross" is just like the main dancer in the center of the stage, no matter where she goes, she will become the focus of people's attention.

"John Pluto Smith's original name is Annie Charlton, under her mask and thick armor, she is a low-key woman 'infected' with heroic virus who doesn't want to reveal her true face. A Campione, from ancient history to the present times, she is the only who is so weirdly unique."

"In this respect, she is also an incredible person who can leave her name on the history book of Godslayers of those jobless idlers at Greenwich."

He wasn't concerned about exposing the hidden truth of the North American Godslayer to his knights. To him, any secrets are no secrets at all. 

"Lord Smith turned out to be a woman! T, This is an incredible news!"

Liliana showed a look of surprise, while Erica's eyes lit up. 

Although she was also surprised, what emerged more was the joy of knowing the hidden secrets of the world. 

She is her enthusiastic teenage years when mind unconsciously gets attracted to adventures, and what she likes the most is to discover these types of mind-blowing mysteries that in itself gives a different kind of thrill and satiation.

Behind Roy and his group, the chief master of Athens's local mage association who had taken the role of their personal guide was already sweating buckets. 

Hearing the secret of other Campiones from Roy, not only he did not feel any tint of joy or satiation, but it only made him shiver in panic, even afraid that if he will be found dead in the dark alleys of Athens the next day. 

Him, a respected grand mage of Greece will vanish from the face of the world just for listening to some few lines when he was trying to earn the favour of the new king?! . 

To get this chance to curry favour of the 'king' he had fought tooth and nail with the other mage associations, but only for a straight ticket onto hell to fall in his lap!? 

One must know that since the North American's King hid her true identity and gender, even using a pseudonym, she definitely has her own meaning and intentions.

Knowing the secrets of a "king" is like holding a hot chilli potato he can neither pass to others nor throw away! 

Good Lord of Thunder! Your believer hopes he is just getting delusional! My kids are still young and parents too old and sick! Have some mercy! Amen! 

"The age of the Godslayers are really distinct. Marquis Voban, the Hierarch of the East, and Madame Aisha of India were roughly born about two hundred years ago, and the remaining four godslayers, including me, were all born in the last ten years, there is a clear dividing line between us, like some sort of generation gap?"

"Looking back into the past, I do not find any era when the number of Godslayers were more than four people, that is to say, for the older generation that appeared a hundred years ago, the last king should have appeared and killed them all, but unexpectedly they continue to live until now, letting the total number of Godslayers to become seven, the highest in the history. Well, kicking out the senile old geezer, it's six now."

Roy talking to Athena walking next to him. His voice was only reaching to the goddess's ears with the help of all-convenient magic, not allowing Erica and others to hear it. It is better for as few people as possible to know about the 'Last King'.

The patron goddess of the city just snorted in disdain and said in a mocking tone: "The Last King is also lazy."

The Godslayers of the last era were not killed, it was definitely not because the last king couldn't defeat them or destiny changed it's course, it was just that the lazy butcher did not even appear to complete his mission.

"The three Godslayers are really lucky. They should have died a hundred years ago, but they still survived until now."

Roy shook his head and smiled. It seems that the Last King has been fulfilling his mission for thousands of years, he has also become tired and lazy, bunking from his duties.

"However, this is not so a good news for me. There have never been so many Godslayers who have lived in the same era. [The Great Ritual Of The Old Covenant] will rise to a height that has never happened before. I have one bold idea, although the probability of success is not high, as long as it succeeds, I can solve the last king. If this method does not work..."

"...I might really have to kill all the godslayers in the end. I hope the situation doesn't worsen to that level."

The King Who Manifests at the World's End is like the sword of Damocles hanging above his head. It is an obstacle that he must overcome. Taking it as per xianxia reference, the King of the End is his tribulation.

"This goddess doesn't care what method you use, whether it is sinister or cunning or upright, it is the embodiment of wisdom. As the goddess of wisdom, we will support you. You only need to remember the agreement with us, you break the strongest steel and this goddess will even guard you with her body"

Athena said in a high tone. 

He smiled: "With the goddess Athena by my side, I surely will have nothing to fear."

The corners of Athena's mouth curled up slightly, and her lovely face showed a graceful and noble smile, which contained both Athena's arrogance and praise for Roy.

He continued with a playful smile: "But Athena, your flirting skills are really top notch, sometimes you unconsciously say something that just goes ooh and moves one's heart. If it had been a girl with romantic fantasies she would have fallen in love on the spot on seeing her valiant 'guardian knight'. Tch, tch, a true tsundere female-fatale, wonder in wonders."

The goddess eyebrows flared as she wanted to speak but suddenly, her beautiful eyebrows scrunched, and a look of disgust appeared on her face.

"What's the matter, Athena?"

Perceiving the change in the expression of the goddess, Roy grabbed her small soft hands and asked with concern.

Athena tugged her hands, but found that Roy's strength was very strong and his grip was tight for her to free herself. 

She gave him a stink eye before giving up and whispered: "This goddess smells it. A disgusting smell, this smells like the Devil Kings this goddess had met in past. This smell is very weak, but it is getting stronger."

The Devil King is a moniker for Campiones, and since the Heretic Gods can smell the Godslayers, it means that there is definitely a Godslayer nearby. 

The perception of the godslayers is not particularly strong, even two godslayers may not recognize each other even in person if they have never met before. 

But, both Heretic Gods and Campiones are the high-performance radars against each other. 

And, the 'radar' Athena was catching the presence of a 'wild' Campione. 

____________________

You can join our discord—

https://discord.gg/GhcNQeWmSU

_____________________

Greed is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, but it is also the motivating force for mankind, which includes me. 

So, if you want and desire, support me at Patreꝍn with advance chapters~

patreon.com/LoreTemple

Special thanks to *Oluwatimileyin Olayemi* and *GooseElite*

______________________

42