Extra 4 – What if the Demon King had found Jixue way earlier?
77 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

“This System... had a feeling that you might want to talk.”

Well, Hongyan did want to talk – but most of all, he wanted to talk to the person that now lay unconscious in his arms.

[collapse]

Hongyan had been too late. He hadn’t made it in time. He hadn’t made it in time and Jixue was gone, unlikely to ever return. It was a defeat, yes, but Hongyan tried very hard not to think about it. Instead, he poured himself into his work and made serious effort at solidifying his position in the Demon Realm.

There were definite distractions though, like a certain youngster with evident self-destructive tendencies.

Fortunately, Mingyue had eventually calmed down and stopped using the Abyssal Shaft to launch raids into the Demon Realm, thereby giving Hongyan additional time to wander. And he certainly did, wandering through various portions of both realms and even beyond.

He wasn’t looking though, no. He wasn’t looking, because there was no point. Still, Hongyan opted to heed these urges and wander, hoping that he’d eventually come to accept the situation for what it was. But⸺

Again, he found himself wandering the frozen wastelands up north – not for the first time, and certainly not for the last. He figured it made sense though – or rather, that it would’ve made more sense to find Jixue somewhere cold rather than somewhere warm. It was still far more likely that Hongyan wouldn’t find him at all though, given the vastness of the place.

Still⸺ “Honestly, how long am I going to keep this up?”

If he’d had any sense, then he would’ve ended this fruitless search ages ago. And yet, here he was – another day, another place, one foot in front of the other.

Besides, although his search had proven fruitless so far, it hadn’t proven completely useless. It had after all been a good opportunity to go around and see this realm that he now supposedly ruled. He wasn’t quite sure what to make of it however – wasn’t really sure what was the point anymore. At the same time though, he didn’t really have to wonder. He didn’t really have to ask himself that.

Hongyan knew that he wouldn’t be able to do anything more for Jixue – nothing for him directly, at any rate. This didn’t mean that he couldn’t do anything though, because he still had this; the power to protect the other’s legacy.

His heart clearly hadn’t accepted this though – not yet, at least. He knew this because he kept on dreaming, and what was found in his dreams wasn’t just memories but other things as well. Recently, he’d come to dream about a large ice cavern, and thus, he had once again returned to this place.

Hongyan could only hope that it wasn’t for naught – because if it was all for naught, then why couldn’t he dream of more pleasant things?

Thinking this, he got to work, digging in the snow. Because he could sense that there was an entrance here somewhere, and he had every intention of finding it.

And find it, he eventually did, but Hongyan resolutely tampered down on his surging hopes. He did so because he knew not to get his hopes up – because previous occasions had only left him in quiet despair.

Instead, he steeled himself and moved on, making his way further down the tunnel – because such a thing indeed existed, previously hidden underneath the frozen snow, and Hongyan quietly braced himself as he caught a glimpse of what awaited at the end. Because there was indeed an ice cavern, and it looked remarkably similar to the one in his dream. Tis wasn’t the only thing that was familiar however.

“Jixue,” Hongyan breathed, rushing over to the icy column standing in the middle. “Jixue...”

Because indeed, the thing contained an achingly familiar figure – what remained of him, at any rate, trapped inside a cocoon of ice.

It made for a haunting scene – beautiful but undeniably creepy, considering that Jixue had likely done this to himself before ascending, leaving behind only an empty shell.

And it was empty – it was undeniably empty, and this was just about the only thing that kept Hongyan from breaking the ice. He wanted to, of course. However, at the same time, he feared what would become of Jixue’s body if he did. Sure, Hongyan could technically cut the whole pillar out and bring it home, but⸺

He ultimately opted to let it be, at least for now. He wouldn’t let it be completely unguarded though. Stationing someone here to guard it would’ve been far more trouble than it was worth however – and far riskier too for that matter.

Thus, Hongyan opted for a far simpler solution, setting up wards to ensure that he’d know if there was any activity in the area while also making it easier for him to find his way back – and he would, on numerous occasions. He didn’t always have time though, and as the years passed, he didn’t always take the opportunity. But then⸺

In the middle of everything else, and in the middle of a deep-seated feeling of something about to go very wrong, Hongyan finally sensed it; he finally sensed something happening.

Naturally, he rushed right over, not knowing what he would find, but determined to handle it regardless. And then⸺

The ice crystal lay shattered, scattered into what seemed like a million pieces, and there, right among them, there was Jixue, breathing quite harshly. There was someone else beside him though – or rather, something else – and this was the only thing that kept Hongyan from immediately rushing over. Because that thing, that thing’s presence; he vaguely recognised it. And upon seeing it distracted, Hongyan decided that now was his best chance.

Moments later, he’d swatted the ferret-like creature all the way across the cavern, and it hit the wall at the opposite end with a highly satisfying squeak of pain. That wasn’t the only expression of pain though, and the latter stole away any satisfaction Hongyan might’ve derived from the former.

[That... hurt,] the white ferret hissed. [Kindly refrain from repeating such actions.]

Right as the thing spoke, something manifested beside him, popping right into existence; a small bottle of some sort.

[Pain potion,] the being then said. [Help him drink it.]

Hongyan honestly wasn’t sure how to react to that, but Jixue didn’t wait, snatching the bottle up with shaking hands. He did seem to be struggling with pulling out the cork though, so Hongyan helped him.

This earned him a momentary glare before Jixue downed the thing in one go – following which the small bottle quickly slipped from his fingers, leaving Hongyan to catch it and soon Jixue as well as the other slumped, suddenly unconscious. And although Hongyan was undeniably alarmed by the latter, he honestly couldn’t help but marvel at the sight of Jixue’s hands as well as the rest of him. Because Hongyan hadn’t really noticed it at first, far too distracted by other things, but now he certainly saw them; the changes. He also noted that Jixue seemed to be breathing a whole lot easier than before, and this was just about the only thing that kept him from tearing out that little ferret’s throat.

[He’s fine,] the ferret said, much closer now, swishing its tail back and forth. [But he needs additional time to recover from the transformation.]

Evidently. Still⸺ “You called it a pain potion,” Hongyan said. “But was it actually... a sleeping potion?”

[One does not necessarily exclude the other,] the ferret responded without the slightest bit of shame. [This System... had a feeling that you might want to talk.]

Well, Hongyan did want to talk – but most of all, he wanted to talk to the person that now lay unconscious in his arms. Still⸺

“Sure,” he said, shrugging off his winter coat. “But not here.”

With this said, he swiftly bundled Jixue up and then looked back towards the self-proclaimed System. “Understood?”

The thing lowered its head slightly, but kept watching him with its beady black eyes.

 


 

By the time Jixue woke up, Hongyan had been thoroughly lectured on various things related to Systems and the rules pertaining to System and Host, among other things. He had also found and retrieved the Far-Seeing Mirror from his personal storage, reasoning that it would probably come in handy at some point during this whole debacle.

“Okay,” he said, reappearing with a significant selection of various foods and drinks. “I think I get it.”

Jixue, still wearing Hongyan’s winter coat, sent him a decidedly frosty look. It did seem marginally warmer compared to before though.

“And I am sorry,” Hongyan said, putting down the newest platter among the rest. “Let me make it up to you.”

At this, the look turned considering; quietly calculating. Hongyan certainly didn’t mind though, because this was a chance – a chance to prove himself as something other than a nuisance. A chance to prove his mettle, so to speak.

“Fine,” Jixue finally said, fixating his gaze upon the mirror once more.

Hongyan wasn’t discouraged however. Rather, it was the opposite.

 

3