Extra 5.3 – And then a Junior System Admin made an executive decision
69 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

“So,” said You Bingleng, who was currently under some other name that the Junior System Admin somehow failed to recall. “Kindly explain to me why I’m stuck babysitting the Demon King.”

[collapse]

How it happened was anyone’s guess really. However, from the start, it was quite obvious that it had something to do with the Singularity.

Granted, this being was neither the first nor the last nor the only being going under such a moniker. However, after tearing holes into the barriers of dozens of dimensions, this one was bound to live on in infamy for a long time to come.

One of the Senior System Admins had even said it outright; what they’d all quietly been thinking: [There must be something seriously wrong with World 220.]

And the Junior System Admin previously known as System 225 wholeheartedly agreed, because even disregarding the aforementioned World’s Singularity, there were plenty of other things wrong with the World in question.

Still, even though System Admins ranked way above regular Systems, there were still things that System Admins were not authorised to actively interfere with – and the Singularities just so happened to be among them.

As such, upon finding out that World 220’s resident Singularity had somehow breached containment and was now readily accessing Worlds that should’ve never been accessible, the System Admins had found themselves in something of a predicament. Because, as yet another Senior System Admin had put it: [Singularities are a complicated and delicate issue.]

Clearly, they’d have to figure out a way to deal with it though, or else they’d be too busy patching up holes in the dimensional walls to handle any of their other duties. The question was what they ought to do about it.

This had been debated for a while, until someone had finally suggested that one of them ought to make contact with the Singularity to figure out what he wanted, and possibly use it to lure him back to World 220. And while the Junior System Admin thought this sounded like a decent idea, it could’ve done without what came after.

Because it was pretty much a given how things would end – namely which System Admin would ultimately receive such an important but undeniably risky task. And while the System Admin formerly known as System 225 was quite displeased by this, it also recognised the logic behind such a decision – since it was the System Admin that had the most experience in dealing with the Singularity in question.

Besides, risky or not, it was still a chance to rise in the ranks of System Administration – which the Junior System Admin aspired to do, having discovered that the perks and privileges of its current position were quite disproportionate to the drawbacks.

Lastly, there was the fact that the Junior System Admin did have something of an inkling as to what the Singularity might be after, and if it was indeed so, then it was the Junior System Admin’s solemn duty to discourage any additional pursuit.

And so, it made an attempt.

 


 

“You’re late,” said You Bingleng, the former Host of System 225. “And you owe me an explanation.”

And that much was true. The Singularity hadn’t ended up in this particular World for no reason after all.

Still, the former System 225 was torn. It had wished for a happy ending for its Partner – for its former Host – even while recognising that such things did not actually exist, seeing that each ending was its own blend of happiness and sadness and whichever emotions could fit in-between, and System 225 had recognised reality as such.

Thus, it had opted to give its Partner a choice – and an informed one, which was more than could’ve been said about some of its colleagues, both within System Administration and elsewhere.

By and large, there were four options available, although most Systems only offered two.

The first option was to return the Transmigrator to their original – if improved – life and to take away any memories as payment.

The second option was to have the Host merge with the System – which in practice typically amounted to the Host’s consciousness getting absorbed by the System.

The third option was to find a suitable body for the Transmigrator to inhabit, and then⸺

Well, then there was option number four, which existed, but⸺ well, it hardly mattered now, since System 225 had gone for option number three, scouting out a suitable body before presenting its Host with options one to three, allowing the other to choose for himself but also to keep his memories of the things they’d experienced together.

In any case, what had been done had been done, and the entity formerly known as System 225 had a Mission – and said Mission was currently curled up on its former Host’s sofa underneath at least three blankets, and seemingly dead to the world, barely even stirring as the Junior System Admin drew closer.

“So,” said You Bingleng, who was currently under some other name that the Junior System Admin somehow failed to recall. “Kindly explain to me why I’m stuck babysitting the Demon King.”

 


 

Come morning, the aforementioned Demon King finally began to stir, and after that, it wasn’t long before the Junior System Admin had to find itself a suitable shield against further hostilities.

The aforementioned shield, who was none other than System 225’s former Host, had his arms folded across his chest and eyed them both with evident irritation. He had then told the Singularity that the Junior System Admin was his to strangle and that he wouldn’t react kindly to anyone challenging said claim.

And the Singularity had backed down – and practically immediately at that. This didn’t stop the glares however.

Yet, somehow – by some seeming miracle – the Singularity had eventually agreed to go back to World 220.

Even more incredibly, the other didn’t attempt to attack even once after they’d left You Bingleng’s line of sight and stepped out into the Lounge. They naturally didn’t stay there for long though, because although the Junior System Admin had at last received clearance to bring the Singularity over there, actually bringing a Singularity into such a place was nerve-wracking on its own.

“What is this place?” the Singularity asked, looking around with obvious interest.

[This is the Lounge,] the Junior System Admin explained. [This is the place that holds the Gates, the gateways leading into different Worlds.]

“Oh,” the Singularity said. “Like the Abyssal Shaft then.”

And indeed, there were definite similarities in-between the aforementioned monument and the Lounge – very curious similarities, as a matter of fact. The Junior System Admin opted not to delve into it however, because unfortunately, there was a thing such as knowing too in regards to certain things.

Instead, the Junior System Admin led the Singularity up to the Gate attached to World 220. The Singularity in turn said nothing even as he stepped through it, vanishing into the light.

And while the Junior System Admin was still in the midst of processing all that, other System Admins came out of hiding to offer up words of praise and encouragement. They even went as far as to invite the Junior System Admin out to drinks, an offer that the Junior System Admin promptly declined, citing that there was still clean-up left to deal with.

And those Senior System Admins proved entirely too willing to leave their junior colleague to it – something that would’ve previously annoyed the Junior System Admin very much, but not now. Because⸺

 


 

[What did you tell him?]

“Tell who?”

The Singularity. [The Demon King.]

The former System’s former Host didn’t look up, simply turned the page of the book in his hands. “Does it matter?”

Did it? [Yes.]

For a long while, the other said nothing. Then, finally⸺ “I told him to wait. I doubt it will keep him satisfied for long, but... certainly long enough for you lot to deal with things and for it to no longer be my problem.”

Huh? [How so?]

“Human lifespans are short,” You Bingleng said, entirely unconcerned. He wasn’t wrong though, because human lifespans were indeed short – and in some cases, much too short. Still⸺

[...Are you really fine with that?]

At this, there was a smile – rueful yet undeniably wry.

“Fine with what?” the other asked. “With it no longer being my problem? Of course, I am. It shouldn’t even have been my problem to begin with.”

It shouldn’t have. And yet⸺ [Are you really fine with... this?]

[Are you really... happy here?]

The other promptly shrugged. “I’m certainly happier here than where I originally started out, so that’s something at least. What of it?”

Another page turned, and the former System 225 looked on, analysing the situation at hand and the multiple factors leading up to it. Then, it turned its attention elsewhere – towards the options still available.

They were few, and in terms of legality, they were even fewer. Besides, their previous work relationship made them even more limited, and those that did exist involved no small amount of bureaucracy – and no real guarantee of success either.

And so, the Junior System Admin thought about it, and then finally came to a decision, moving to stand in front of its former Host.

[Former Host You Bingleng.]

The latter finally lifted his gaze, and former System 225 reached out.

Moments thereafter, the book slipped from limp fingers, falling to the floor with a light thud. Meanwhile, former System 225 cradled a small orb, uttering a very soft [Oops].

For a long moment, silence reigned. Then finally, the orb said: “...You’re honestly full of shit, you know that, right?”

Well⸺ [It comes with the territory. I could always put you back though... if you want?]

“...I have options then.”

[Yes.]

“And they are...?”

The former System 225 smiled.

 


 

The Singularity otherwise known as the Demon King stared out over the frozen landscapes. These weren’t the frozen wastelands up north though, but rather regular winter. All things considered, he should’ve probably been indoors, catching up on all that paperwork he’d been neglecting. But instead, he was here, watching, waiting.

Because Hongyan had agreed to wait. He’d agreed to wait, for however long it took. He was reasonably well dressed for the weather though, so he could stand there for a while yet. It was cold though, and the occasional gust of wind chilled him to the very bone. But then⸺

He drew in a breath, feeling the cold air burning in his lungs as he turned around.

There was the faint sound of wings – quiet but large wings. For a brief moment, Hongyan thought it might’ve been one of the winged individuals at court – though certainly not Qiuyu who abhorred the cold season.

No, this was indeed another, and Hongyan quickly extended his hands, experiencing an unbelievable rush as the hands of another connected with his own and glacial eyes bored into his.

And Hongyan smiled, interlacing their fingers, holding on as a visibly grown-up Bai Jixue descended fully, folding those massive wings attached to his back. Then and only then, he let go, but not for long. He went in for a hug and wasn’t rebuffed, and as such, he tightened his grip. And Jixue in turn wrapped his arms around Hongyan’s neck, burying his face there with a sigh while using his wings to shield them both from the icy winds.

“Bastard,” Jixue murmured, burrowing closer. “You’d better take responsibility.”

“I will,” Hongyan murmured in turn. “I will.”

 


 

Meanwhile, the Junior System Admin formerly known as System 225 stared blankly at the envelope in its hand.

It was just a plain white envelope, carrying no real hint of the sender – no real hint except for one.

As such, with a heavy heart, the former System opened the thing and slowly pulled out the piece of paper contained within it. Surprisingly it didn’t seem to be a formal notice of demotion however, and neither did it seem to be a summons. Instead, it was but a simple note, displaying only this:

Appreciation. :)

And the Junior System Admin stared at it, and then it checked its status for the third or fourth time, confirming that someone had indeed updated its credentials, making some of its temporary Admin privileges permanent.

The Junior System Admin made no comment on it though, very much aware of the implications.

Someone above had Seen, and someone above had liked what they’d Seen, and had opted to reward the Junior System Admin’s transgressions. And thanks to their intervention, these transgressions were no longer transgressions but rather perfectly valid actions completely in line with administrative privilege, sanctioned from above.

[Such a frightening prospect.]

Frightening prospect or not however, administrative privileges were administrative privileges, and the Junior System Admin formerly known as System 225 had a new patron – with all the benefits and responsibilities this entailed.

It was terrifying, yes, but strangely exhilarating all at once.

[Well then,] it said. [Better get back to work.]

 

3