The human leech
73 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My opinion of the Aveven king could not become lower than it already is. He is more like a leech feeding of my empire for his own gain. He has spent most the time trying to convince me to fight the Arrian Empire. Frankly I don’t see the point. At this point it'd just hurt me more than it would help. I’d also venture to guess that Aveven would be destroyed in the war.  

“There will be peace, even if you have to give the Arrians the land they want. It can’t be worse than having your entire kingdom destroyed.” I say sitting in his chair giving him a quick glance. I have to admit I do like the chair. When I leave, I'm going to get a set. Perhaps I can get a couch as well. I’ll add that to the list. 

“But this would be considered a loss for the Allonian Empire. It would make you seem weak. It will also weaken your influence on the continent, putting the Arrians closer to your border.” I’m pretty certain he said more but I stopped listening at this point. He’s even worse than those two-faced retainers.  

“Then I will let your empire burn. If I take it over and set up a puppet king it would be even better for me. I don’t think anyone will complain especially if I give the Arrians the territory they want.” I stare at him the entire time. All he can do is stare back as his face pales. 

“B-b-but you can’t do that.” He stutters. The thing is, I can do it. The only person who might oppose it would be the Kingdom of Felworth, but they aren’t in a position to do anything. Sadly, Aveven is stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is no way for them to win from this engagement. I can also see why Father went to fight in Arria itself. I would not trust this guy with the Arrian front. We would have lost instantly.  

“Harold, it doesn’t matter want you think. You just have to abide by the treaty and sign the paper. I’m certain your subjects will forever thank you for it.” It will also probably be the only thing they thank him for. On that note Reynard is waiting for me. The old man has grey hair and brown eyes. He is growing older. Perhaps he should retire. As chancellor it is important for him to be at this historic event.  But he should also take care of his own health. 

“Your majesty, it is good to see you in such good health.” Reynard says giving me a bow. The crafty guy definitely has a way with words. Makes me feel as if he actually cares about me. 

“I’m also glad to see you.” I say. I motion for Harold to leave the room. He practically trips running out of the room. I turn to stare at Reynard. I hope to hear better news from him. 

“I have just come back from talking to the emperor of Arria. He is receptive to the peace deal.” He says leaving a but in that statement. 

“What is it?” I give him a hard stare. He quickly opens his mouth. 

“He would like to meet you personally to talk about the finer details.” I don’t see how this could be a problem. I do believe that this was the entire point of the summit. Unless Michael wants to drastically change the deal. Either that or he want to kill me. Both are likely. I just don’t see him stooping to such low standards just so he could kill me. 

“I take it you don’t like this outcome.” 

“No, it is generally against the protocol for two emperors to meet each other. Normally you two would keep separate even at peace negations. I would just prefer that we keep to traditions.” Ah, I see where this is coming from. 

“Trust me, I won’t die so easy.” Father's death must have hit him harder than I thought.  

“I know, but your father was one of the best swordsmen I have ever met and he still died.” I know what he means. Father was really good at predicting others moves. He could plan out the war strait from the beginning and everything would go his way. In battle it seemed like he knew what was going to happen even before anyone else. I myself am good at picking up changes in motion but he was on an altogether different level. 

“Don’t worry, I'll come out alive. I’ve had plenty of encounters with death and I'm still alive to tell the tale.” I say giving him a smile. I then get up and start walking to the meeting. “Ah, take care of my sister for me if anything happens.” 


A/N: So this is Reynard. You guys might know him from "Glory Be to Arria" and he will be playing a semi-important role in this book as well. Also we meet the legend, the one and only, the king of Aveven Harold. Out of any character to exist in this universe, he is probably the most hated. Though James especially doesn't like him as he blames Harold for the death of his father. Anyway next chapter we will be meeting Michael De Arria.

0