Only for you
71 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Henry, it’s good to see you doing well.” The vice-captain says walking up to me. He is giving me a big knowing smile. I’d don’t like where this is going. “Anyway, I have a job I need you to do.” 

“Can I ask what it is?” I hope there is a good amount of money involved. 

“You see, as one of the only two assassin I can trust to actually complete their mission-” 

“The quality must have really dropped since I joined.” I remember there being some really renowned assassins with you. Wait- two? I don’t recall any other competent assassins, who is he. 

“Yes, they certainly are pathetic.” He says shaking his head. “Also, despite your compatriot having joined even before you, you’re the only one in a position of trust.” 

“Please don’t tell me you want me to kill-” 

“Never.” He quickly adds, seeing my reluctance. “Although, I could give you some extra money and forgive you for not completing your mission to kill the emperor.” 

“For one, I've completed every other side mission you’ve given me. Second, don’t ever ask me to kill a woman or a child. I’ll forgive you since you’ve been a good employer.” I say with a tone that leaves no doubt whether or not I'd accept the request. He just gives me an awkward smile. Probably annoyed that I didn’t agree. 

 

I walk up to the house. It may be run down but I don’t have the money for much better. I open the door. 

“Alice, are you here?” I call into the room. I then see a small brown bundle jump up and run toward me. 

“Brother, how are you doing?” She says giving me a hug. 

“I’m doing fine. Are you taking your medicine?” I ask while closing the door. 

“Yes, though I don’t like the taste.” She announces. She stops hugging me and returns to the bed. 

“Tell me about your day.” 

“Well, I spent a lot of time in bed, but I still did some cleaning and even some laundry.” She says.  

“Good girl” I say patting her head. 

“Even better I made dinner.” She says giving me a big smile. 

“That’s wonderful. Keep up the good work.” I sit in a chair next to the bed. 

“Tell me about your day.” She says excitedly. 

“Nothing much, I was just protecting the weak from those who would do them harm.” Not that I can say anything against them. Money is money, something in a high demand and often scarce for those who truly need it. 

“That is just like you. I can walk around proudly saying my brother is a guard that protects the imperial family. I’m the envy of the neighborhood.” She says puffing out her chest. 

“Hahaha, yes, well next time I'll spend some time with them. And if it’s possible I'll even teach them some sword fighting.” I respond. 

“You’re the best person in the world.” She declares. Well, only for you. All of it for you. 


A/N: This chapter is just a bit of ground work on Henry's motives and ideals. I don't really have any plans to include his sister but it is an important footnote for his character. Also last chapter I received some amazing advice. I will just say that I welcome any inputs and views. Though since I generally write ahead it might take some time for you guys to see some changes.

0