Duke Whyte
43 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Duke Whyte, I have been awaiting your arrival with great anticipation.” I say to the old man. Despite his age, he still looks as fit as a lion. He gives a small bow before sitting down on the couch. 

“You Majesty, it is all my pleasure to be able to converse with you.” He replies. “We have much to discuss now that the war with Arria is officially over. The relocation of troops will bring much needed relief to our weary soldiers.” 

“This sound good to me. I think we should increase the number of soldiers on the border of Jinju and Felworth. We should also send a garrison to Wonsan. The administrator was killed in his own home.”  

“I also heard that you were planning on increasing the budget for the military?” He asks with interest. His interest isn’t unfounded, he is part of the old guard. I don’t think he will like what I have to say. 

“I have been thinking of having less of a reliance on nobles for the empires army. I’ll be opening up a military academy.” 

“Ah, so you are going to copy those Arrians with their strange military practices.” He says raising an eyebrow. I’m going to have to learn how to do that. That eyebrow thing would look really cool. 

“I think it will benefit everyone, the nobles won’t have to spend so much on the knights and instead spend it on improving their realm. I also intend to study this new weapon called the arquebus.” When I mentioned the arquebus his eyes darkend. It seems he does know about this new weapon. I’m not surprised, he has probably seen how they work on the battle field personally. 

“I must say, Your Majesty, the weapon is pathetic and very ineffective. Even if we improve the weapon it will take at least a decade before it is fully ready to be used on the battle field in large amounts.” He gives me his honest opinion. I misjudged, I thought it would take 8 years. Ah, he must be thinking of training and production. True, 10 years would be a good guess. Though, of I push development I think I can get it done in 8. 

“How long do you think it would take the others to develop it?” I ask out of curiosity. 

“The Koryo are too busy fighting among themselves for them to begin such a venture. Felworth is embroiled in chaos as well. The central states are peaceful but they don’t have the economy to keep up with us. That leaves only the Yanzhou and Arrians with the means to compete with us. If I had to say, it would take them at least 15 years. Longer if anything happens to them.” That is a 5-year lead, will it be enough? No, it will not be enough.  

“Thank you for the advice. I will take it too heart.” I say standing up. He gets up as well. 

“I think that the academy is a good idea. We need more people who know how to conduct a war. Honestly, we are an understaffed. William held together our entire planning process. With his death there is only a handful of people who have such skills.” He says. 

I agree it is a matter of grave importance. Inexperienced officers were what led to the near collapse of Arria. If we are to learn from that we shouldn’t make the same mistakes as them. Funny how Arria and Allonia are the biggest rivals but we copy each other the most. 

“However, I don’t like these weapons. If you really want to fallow my advice, do not develop this pet project anymore. The knights will protect our empire as they have always done.” He interrupts, his face showing that he was clearly against this. It seems that this will take more thinking. He is the most experienced general in our empire at the moment. I thought he would at least be neutral on this matter. If I don’t play my cards right, we could have a civil war on our hands. I give out a smile, not that it would matter. As long as the three archdukes are united nothing on the continent can beat us. Plans, too many plans and not enough time. Too many variables, too little certainties.  

Elizabeth said that the future of Allonia will be with these weapons. I think it is worthwhile to see where her vision brings the empire. 


A/N: I think that Duke Whyte represents part of what is wrong with Allonia. While he does obey James as emperor, when James goes against his wishes he ignores James opinion and tells him that he is wrong. I can't say that James is a strong willed character, he tends to dislike fighting. But he is a person of morals and will try to achieve what he sees as a better future for Allonia. I say this but I also want people to form their own Opinion on James' actions.

0