Chapter 3: Survival
1.2k 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

J: “I can’t believe it… I’m… I’m really a monster…” “Wait a sec, how big does it say I am…” “Two METERS!? I could be a pro basketball player… Ha… Ha… Haaa.” “Yeah, not gonna think about it, just gonna, uh, survive, I guess.” “I’m just gonna try to get to the surface.”

“So I just gotta… yeah.” Jack gets into a clumsy rhythm of stretching his arms and legs out, then straightening them behind him, he isn’t moving very fast, in fact it barely looks like he’s moving at all “Maybe I should try to use my tail huh.” Flapping his tail get immediate results, acting as a large paddle it pushes him forward a good distance “Oh that’s kinda fun.” Jack makes quick progress, learning to just let his tail do the work and just focus on making his body as aerodynamic as possible.

Breaching the surface, Jack immediately notices a couple things, one, that this is one hundred percent not Earth, two, he can very noticeably see the curve of the horizon, and three, there are a lot of things flying that do not look like they should be able to fly.

“They look like flesh balloons.” *Rumble* “Yeah, that was me, it’s been awhile since I ate, and I did exercise a bunch getting up here.” One of the balloons was resting on the water’s surface nearby Jack “Well, not like anyone’s watching anyways.” Jack went back under the water and slowly swam underneath the creature, when he was just underneath it, he lashed out, impaling it on his fingertips, pulling it down under the water with him as it flailed about, it orb-like body shaking with fear as it made a sort of bleating sound.

Its cries went unheard as Jack drags it down, its feeble cries becoming muffled garbles as it’s slowly drowned. “Wow, that was harder than I thought it would be, it was like trying to push a beach ball underwater.” “Well, guess I might as well dig in… how do I even eat with all these tongues…” Jack would get his answer, whether he liked it or not. Holding it down and biting down, Jack realizes that his jaw strength is pretty weak, as he’s wondering what to do now, his tongues instinctively get to work, dragging their serrated edges along the creature’s side, cutting into it like knives through butter, cutting off a chunk of flesh that is guided towards his throat where it disappears into the darkness. The tongues continue their work, extending out of the mouth and drilling into the bulbous creature’s new open wound. “Well this feels disturbing…” “Hmm… this kinda tastes like… seasoned… rubber. Huh.”

As Jack finishes devouring the helpless creature, he gets another *Ding!* “Huh, <Status>” on his his status window, two tabs are flashing, Mutations, and Progress, Jack taps Progress and is met with a screen showing a couple bits of info, Objectives, Rewards, and another drop down symbol labeled Life-Graph, clicking on Life-Graph open just that, a graph of his life, where all the things from the first Tab are displayed in a date amount format in the form of a line graph “Nothing particularly useful here…”

Clicking on Objectives drops down a list with a header reading ‘Beginnings’ under that are couple sub headings: ‘Reach 10 Meters’ ‘Get Your First Mutation’ ‘Destroy Your First City’ ‘Kill Your First Sentient Creature’. And one that is crossed off ‘Kill Something’ Clicking on it brought him to the Rewards section, with the same crossed off text, but under it, it says ‘Claim Evolution?’ “hmm… Let me just check the other thing first, Mutations seemed important.” Clicking over to the Mutations tab, he is met with a very basic wireframe of himself with boxes at every main body part, like the feet, arms, tails, head, muscles et cetera.

Right now there was one box that had a flashing green number 1, organs.

26