Chapter 4
144 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nearing the day of the audition, Bai Hua spoke to the owner about the upcoming competition and asked if she could take a break for a while to focus on it. The owner generously let her and even gave her a bonus so that she could eat properly.

The regulars heard about it and gave her their support on her last day before taking a break.

Ming Chen saw Michelle coming again and this time with Wei Linzhen.

"Welcome back, Mr. Langley. It has been a while, Mr. Wei." Ming Chen greeted them with a smile.

Wei Linzhen sat down, "Did you miss me, Xiao Ming?"

"It's definitely livelier with you around, Mr. Wei."

He looked at the people talking to Bai Hua, "What did I miss?"

"Xiao Bai is going to audition in a singing competition the day after tomorrow." A customer answered him.

"Really? I'll go give her my blessings too. Maybe my luck will rub on her." Wei Linzhen joined the crowd.

Ming Chen turned to Michelle, "As usual, Mr. Langley?"

Michelle nodded. He watched thoughtfully as Ming Chen prepared his drink. Ming Chen noticed it and asked as he served his drink.

"Is there anything else?"

Michelle tapped his finger on the counter table, "I found Linzhen 2 weeks ago injured in an alley. I thought I should let you know."

Ming Chen smiled, "Then, it's a relief that Mr. Wei has recovered safely."

Michelle studied his face. He didn't see any particular reaction. His body language and answer were also normal. But other than this seemingly harmless bartender, there couldn't be anyone else.

When Wei Linzhen woke up the other day, he didn't remember seeing another person in the alley except for those 6 men. The man that they interrogated also didn't say anything about a third person in that alley until his death.

There was no surveillance in that alley, probably the reason why Wei Linzhen chose that place. But they also couldn't find any footage because of that.

From the fight, this mysterious person didn't seem to belong to either camp. They only stumble into the scene by accident and by how they called him after knocking out Wei Linzhen, it could be said they were on good terms with them. But the fact that this person was capable of knocking out Wei Linzhen made him a threat. It was better if they could find this person as soon as possible.

After listing out all of Wei Linzhen's acquaintances in the country that knew both of them, there weren't that many people but all of them were either hostile or friendly. The course of action they took in that situation didn't match. They also personally visited them all to double-check.

On their way here, Michelle realized another person who knew and was on good terms with both of them. Although it could also be one of the customers or another staff, the one person they both came into contact with most frequently was the bartender. Not to mention, other than his and Wei Linzhen's people, he only told the bartender that he was looking for Wei Linzhen.

His phone vibrated and saw his subordinate sent him the file he asked for. The bartender's nameplate only showed his family name, just like the nameplates all the staff were wearing. He never heard anyone saying his given name and he also didn't have any pictures of him. But as long as there was a surveillance camera in the bar, he could get the information he wanted.

He read through it and watched several footages. His suspicion wasn't unfounded.

When Ming Chen finished his shift, he changed his clothes and looked at his phone. He saw there were several missed calls from Wen Rui. He walked out while calling back, but Wen Rui didn't answer. He was probably still asleep.

If he could still fall asleep, the thing he wanted to say probably wasn't that urgent.

He watched Bai Hua crossing the road when a car sped up towards her. Ming Chen swiftly moved his hand inside his pocket and the car swerved with a break. Bai Hua got scratched by the back of the car and she fell down. Fortunately, she wasn't heavily injured.

The driver of the car quickly got out and helped Bai Hua, apologizing frantically. The person seating in the backseat opened his door and also stepped out to help her. Bai Hua said she was fine and only have some skin injuries. The man offered to get her to a hospital, but she refused. Eventually, the driver bought her a medical kit from a nearby pharmacy.

Ming Chen took a photo of the man and the driver before they left. He made sure Bai Hua arrived at her apartment before he went back.

Behind him, a man with green eyes watched him enter his apartment before leaving.

In the morning, Yu Renjia relayed what Wen Rui found last night.

"Someone is trying to find your information."

Ming Chen's spoon halted, "Me?"

"Probably because of the fight you got into the other day. Are you sure you didn't leave any tracks?"

"I'm sure. Rui also double-checked it."

"The other side is highly skilled. Rui didn't have enough time to alter your profile before they stole it. We still don't know what they want to do with that information, so you need to be careful."

"I will. It's already like this, so we'll take the normal civilian route. Act like we don't know anything and make them think that I'm just someone who secretly can fight." Ming Chen took his phone and messaged Wen Rui.

Yu Renjia nodded, "Have any idea who it might be?"

"A new regular of mine."

When Ming Chen was arriving at the bar, he got a call from Yu Renjia.

"As expected, you're being tailed."

"Let's wait for Rui's result."

Yu Renjia ended the call. Because Bai Hua went straight to her apartment after leaving the campus, Wen Rui followed her while Yu Renjia escorted Ming Chen. Hopefully, this guy would stop after finding out they weren't a threat.

At his residence, Michelle watched the live feed from several angles. One of them caught sight of Yu Renjia who was unmounting his motorbike before entering a cafe.

"Watch that man."

Yu Renjia drank his frapped while playing with his phone.

Well damn, they locked him in.

Whoever was behind these people was too sharp for their own good.

He messaged Ming Chen about his situation and called Wen Rui, "Are you done?"

Wen Rui who was suddenly called, "??"

"There's nothing going on, but aren't you with Chen Ge? You want to swap?"

"I mean the other one."

"Ah…" Wen Rui realized, "The security's tight, but I managed to deactivate it and get in. I'm downloading them now. Ren Ge, Chen Ge said we mustn't do anything. Is this going to be okay?"

"No problem. It's for reassurance. Don't get your tail caught."

"I won't."

The call ended. Wen Rui looked at his laptop. On the screen, there was a bar indicating the files were 87% downloaded. He touched the keyboard and closed his eyes. The bar immediately filled until it reached 100%.

He sent the files to Yu Renjia and continued watching the apartment.

Ming Chen left the bar. He read the message from Yu Renjia and wasn't surprised to see he has gone home. Walking back, he looked at the fast-food restaurant that opened 24 hours on the street across him. He actually always wanted to buy breakfast there, but Bai Hua would spot him that way.

Considering Bai Hua was currently out of work, he went to eat there. Entering the restaurant, the counter was at his left, but there wasn't anyone inside.

"Excuse me?"

He waited several minutes, but nobody's coming out. He checked the front door and confirmed that it was indeed open. The light was also still on.

He was about to leave when a female staff appeared. She rushed out from a door inside with tears in her eyes.

"Help! There's a robber inside!"

Just as she said that, another person appeared behind her wearing a black ski mask and holding a knife. His other hand was holding what looks like a bomb.

Ming Chen, "…"

Out of all the days, you just have to rob when I come here.

"If I see your hair f*cking move, I'll blow this bomb off!" the robber threatened.

Ming Chen took out his phone and called the police, "Go ahead, if you can that is."

The robber was shocked. This guy definitely knew the bomb was a fake! But how?!

"That bomb might not be able to blow, but this neck can certainly get slashed."

Another man wearing a ski mask appeared. He was restraining a male staff in front of him with his knife aiming at his neck.

"Put down your phone or I'm going to make a blood show out of him."

13