Chapter 5
146 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"…"

Ming Chen slowly lowered his hand holding the phone. While the robbers were focused on his phone, he flicked up his fingers on his other hand hidden on his side.

The staff who was held hostage suddenly knocked his head back. It hit the robber holding him hard enough for the robber to release his grip. The staff quickly escaped. He took the fire extinguisher placed inside in case of emergency and used it to hit the robber on his temple.

His partner was startled but quickly moved to attack the staff. Ming Chen grabbed the cash register and threw it to his head. The register flew and smashed the other robber square on his face.

Before they knew it, both of the robbers were down.

"Here, talk to the police. I'll tie them up." Ming Chen gave his phone to the female staff.

He reached the kitchen and asked the staff who was still in a daze, "Do you have anything to tie them up?"

The staff snapped awake and nodded. He took a pack of cable ties, and they tied the 2 robbers' hands and feet.

"Nice headbutt." Ming Chen patted him.

"Thank you…My body just moved on their own…" the staff rubbed the back of his throbbing head in confusion.

When the police arrive, the 2 staff explained to them the situation. There were 2 other staff at the back. Fortunately, they weren't hurt.

The police also asked for Ming Chen's statement. Ming Chen answered honestly that he was coming home from work and wanted to buy breakfast, but accidentally got involved.

The officer who was noting down his statement stared at his face, "…Excuse me, have we met somewhere before?"

"Maybe you're one of my customers?" Ming Chen replied.

The officer's eyebrow tightened, "No, I've never been there. Somehow…I feel like I met you a long time ago…"

"Well, you're welcome at the bar anytime, officer. However, I really need some shut-eye for now." Ming Chen smiled.

"Right, I'm sorry. You can leave."

Ming Chen turned around to leave but then paused. He went back to the officer, "Officer, why don't we take a picture? I have a brother and maybe he's the one you know. I'll try showing your photo to him."

Yu Renjia and Wen Rui were still sleeping peacefully when they were rocked awake by Ming Chen. They woke up half-conscious.

"What's wrong Chen Ge?"

"We have code grey."

Both of them quickly shot awake. Yu Renjia looked solemnly at Ming Chen, "Whose?"

"Mine. I'm sorry. I'm making a lot of problems lately."

"Don't be. We created troubles ten times more than you."

After Ming Chen briefed them about the situation, Yu Renjia and Wen Rui didn't waste any time. Wen Rui found the officer's profile and his past. Turns out they once lived in his hometown. It wasn't for a long period of time, but at that time, the police officer was around 5 years old. If he remembered, it would be very dangerous for Ming Chen.

He found the officer's current address and his daily work schedule. He would go back to his apartment at 7 AM before coming back to work at around noon. Yu Renjia and Wen Rui geared up.

"Leave this to us Chen Ge. You can take a rest and Ren Ge will already finish preparing lunch when you wake up." Wen Rui reassured him before leaving with Yu Renjia.

Ming Chen nodded, "Be careful."

At around half-past seven, Fang Liang went back to his apartment. Rarely anything big happened at his shift, but there was suddenly a robbery at a fast-food restaurant. Fortunately, there wasn't any casualty, and the perpetrators were caught. The restaurant also didn't suffer any losses.

Now that he finished all his paperwork, he couldn't help but recall the man who was dragged into the incident. He really felt like he met him a long time ago in his hometown, but somehow his memory was blurry.

He took out his key and entered his unit. He has just closed the door when a figure swooped in and sprayed something to his face. Without being able to react, he fell asleep.

Yu Renjia carried him up like a sack to his couch. Wen Rui placed his hand on Feng Liang's head and closed his eyes.

Feng Liang's memory flashed rapidly. Wen Rui went all the way back to his childhood until he saw Ming Chen's face in his memory. It was buried deep and a bit blurry, but they couldn't take any chances. Turns out, Feng Liang once ran away from home because of some childish fight with his brother. At that time, Ming Chen found him alone in the park and accompanied him until his parents came to pick him up.

Wen Rui decisively wiped out Ming Chen's existence in the memory. After he was done, Feng Liang was still deep asleep on the couch.

Just as Wen Rui said, when Ming Chen woke up, Yu Renjia just finished cooking lunch and they ate together as usual.

When Feng Liang woke up, he realized he was sleeping on the couch. He must've been too tired from the paperwork because he wasn't used to it. After washing up and eating something, he went back to the station.

He had just come out from the front gate when he was approached by a girl.

"Excuse me, can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"Do you perhaps know this person?" the girl showed him a picture on her phone.

The man in the picture wasn't looking at the camera, but his face was naturally smiling. His eyebrows were arched neatly following the curve of his peach blossom eyes. Even without him trying, people would have a good impression of him. It was the man that got involved in the robbery earlier in the day.

"Coincidentally, I just did earlier in the morning. But I can't disclose any private information."

The girl asked him several questions before leaving. Feng Liang watched her leave in confusion. Why did she ask him specifically? Was he supposed to know who that was?

He shook his head and left.

The girl called a number, "Boss, he didn't know anything."

"Not even an impression?"

"No," the girl recalled all his answers and expressions and said in certainty, "Boss, I think that bartender is really just someone with real bad luck who accidentally got involved. He also stumbled into a robbery this morning. It's just that he has decent fighting skills. Not all normies are bad at fighting."

Michelle tapped his finger at his armrest. He picked up Ming Chen's photo on his desk and stared at it.

What are you hiding behind that smile of yours?

Is it really just a mere fighting skill?

"Boss?"

"Return for now."

He ended the call and leaned back on his chair. After he found out Wei Linzhen dragged him to this country for a really ridiculous reason that couldn't get any more ridiculous, he was going to fly back the next day. But the Shang group unexpectedly attacked them.

They probably thought Wei Linzhen was still abroad and took their chance to raid his office. Unluckily for them, not only Wei Linzhen was at home, he was also there with him. Their end was clear.

He planned to leave, but then a branch of one of his clean businesses in this country got caught up in some trouble. He eventually stayed to deal with it since he was there anyway.

Right after he finished, he wanted to leave for the third time. Again, another trouble occurred, which was Wei Linzhen's disappearance.

The Shang group was upset about their failed raid and decided to hunt Wei Linzhen with full force. They focused on that one man instead of his group. He was ambushed and then disappeared. Some of his subordinates died protecting him.

After Wei Linzhen recovered, he repaid their debt in double. Now, the Shang group was no more.

Still, from all these events happening, Michelle hesitated when he wanted to order a new flight ticket. Once might be nothing, twice might be a coincidence, but the third time couldn't be said to be another coincidence.

He might not be superstitious, but he also didn't want to deal with another troublesome matter. What's more, there hasn't been any problem occurring in his home country that needed his urgent return.

Before he could decide whether to stay for now or try to leave again, Wei Linzhen took him to the bar and that was when he noticed the matter about the bartender. Now, his mind was fully occupied with him.

Considering he didn't have any matter that needed his own hands to deal with, he decided to put his mind to figuring out the true identity of this bartender.

He looked at the photo in his hand some more.

When would he be able to return home he wondered.

13