Chapter 4 – Part 1
82 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

 

“Lost Illusions, mere Reflections.
A Deep Pain and a New Desire.
And so the Warrior Reevaluates Directions.
New Decisions - Begins the Search for the Path back to the Source.”

- The Prophet of Truth


The sound of dissonant voices, all mixed up, was confusing. She was sure that amongst all those voices were a few she knew, but every time she tried to understand what they were saying, the words were lost in the deafening sound. The pain pulsing in her temples was driving her crazy, and even after covering her ears the noise remained, torturing her aching head.

Sarah woke up from her nightmare sitting up at the sound of her own scream, and immediately cursed the impulse that had led her to move so thoughtlessly. Falling back on the soft bed she pressed her ribs, fighting to get some air into her lungs, which only brought her new waves of pain.

She chose to remain motionless until she was able to return her breathing to normal and took that time to try and better understand where she was.

The memories of what had happened the night before were too foggy, coming to her in bits and pieces, making it impossible to put a time line together. It was as if the screaming that had tormented her sleep had tired her to the point that her memory had stopped working adequately. The headache, on the other hand, was as real as any of the other pains now tormenting her, and Sarah sighed getting ready for a second attempt at getting up.

Trying to avoid any movements that would make her contract her abdominal and intercostal muscles too much, she forced her arms to support her weight. And even though they shook like frail leaves, she finally managed to sit up.

Taking another break, she looked around, at the wide bedroom she’d been left in. The furniture was all in dark-brown wood, following a classic style, compared with the practical straight lines of nowadays modern houses. The bed where she now sat was big enough for two people, and the beige, satin sheets felt soft against her skin, perfectly matching the golden embroidered quilt covering it. On the wall, right in front of her, there was a five drawers’ dresser, the bronze handles carved with flowery motifs. Over the dresser, hanging on the wall, there was a mirror surrounded by a heavy frame where two angels, one on each side, faced each other across the mirrored glass surface. A bit to the right was the door, silently closed. To her left a tall, rectangular window. The blinds were completely down and the light white curtains looked like phantasmagoric shadows, falling in soft waves all the way to the floor. On the other side there was a wardrobe with heavy-looking doors, and, more to the left, another door she instinctively knew would lead to a bathroom. The door was slightly ajar and the soft light that allowed her to see at all came from there. Someone had left it on, probably so she could find her way.

Sarah slowly turned her head, trying to avoid the dizzy spells that washed over her from time to time, and found what she’d been looking for, stretching to turn on the night-stand lamp.

With a sigh she pushed the sheets back and swung her legs out of bed. Placing her bare feet on the soft carpet covering the floor, she dared try to get up. With effort she made sure her shaky legs supported her weight but, even so, had to brace herself against the wall to make sure she wouldn’t fall. With slow careful footsteps, as the world around her swung sickeningly from side to side, she made her way towards the lit open door. When she finally reached it, however, she felt as tired as if she’d walked for miles. Thankfully enough the door opened wide with a simple touch and Sarah leaned against the sink, to make sure she kept standing. A shiver ran down her spine at how cold the floor felt against her bare feet, and she turned on the water, anxious to drink some of it and appease her parched throat.

At first the water burned as it went down, almost as if it were pure alcohol, but even so she couldn’t stop. She didn’t remember water ever tasting so good, and she could almost swear that that water was sweeter and softer than any other water she’d ever had.

Once her thirst quenched, she turned off the tap and raised her head, taking a deep breath. And only then noticed her own image, reflected on the mirror covering the wall in front of her. In complete disbelief, she had to touch her own face to make sure that the person staring back at her was really her. What had been the marks of obvious lack of sleep were nothing compared with the deep dark circles surrounding her feverish glistening eyes. Her skin was sickly white, almost as if she’d suddenly lost ten pounds, and the bruises marking her neck brought back terrible memories that terrified her.

Panicking and fearing she was going crazy, Sarah searched her own body, looking for other marks, marks left by fingers that had held her with too much strength. Her hands stopped over the bandages covering her skin in more than one place. It hadn’t been a dream … It had been real! And there were more than enough wounds and pain to prove it.

For an instant she tried to straighten her own thoughts, replaying the sequence of events that she seemed to have lost. She remembered having dinner with John. Of the stranger called Alexis invading her car. The motel and the red-haired man holding a shotgun under his arm. She’d run away, or tried. Her eyes found her bandaged hand. She alone had been responsible for that wound, when she’d cut herself breaking the window. But then they’d captured her. And once she’d regained consciousness she’d found herself lying on the floor, surrounded by dark shadows peering down at her, their bright red eyes terrifying her. One of the shadows had kicked her violently, despise seeping out of him in waves that no amount of mental defenses could stop, almost as if she were nothing but a despicable animal. Sarah took a hand to her bruised ribs … She’d probably have died right there and then, if another shadowy figure hadn’t intervened ordering them to stop. They couldn’t kill her, that’s what this other one had said, they needed her alive or they’d never be able to recapture their prey. However, spilling her blood was an entire different matter. In fact, doing so would bring him to them even faster… And once that had been decided the shadows surrounding her had closed the circle, falling over her, their malicious smiles showing their perfect white teeth. The memory of the pain and horror of what she’d been through, of how hard she’d screamed until there was no more voice to scream, made her legs quiver and she almost fell on her knees.

Turning on the water again, she washed her face, taking a deep breath, making sure she returned to the present moment.

Now she didn’t have the slightest idea of where she was. In truth, she didn’t even know the time, or how long it had been since she’d lost consciousness. And that immediately reminded her of Alexis. He’d saved her from that hole, taking care of her. She remembered hearing his soft, calming voice.

“In any case, I have to get out of here as soon as possible.”

Once a decision had been reached, Sarah went back to the room. At least she was feeling a bit better and some of her strength had come back to her. In truth she wanted nothing more than to take a hot shower that would wash away the feeling that there were still strange fingers touching her. It was obvious that someone had cleaned her, since there were no traces of blood on her skin. But, even so, her mind, more than her body, needed a bath. However, that would have to wait until she got home. She certainly wasn’t about to put herself at ease in a place she didn’t even know, risking being surprised in a disadvantageous position. Besides no one could guarantee that a bath wouldn’t rob her of precious time that could otherwise be spent on her escape.

Noticing that the only thing she wore was a white t-shirt, Sarah opened the wardrobe searching for something else that would make her presentable enough to go outside. She couldn’t risk being arrested for walking around half-naked, and that reminded her of the promise she’d made Selena, and that she’d been unable to fulfill.

Can’t forget to call her as soon as possible, she told herself, putting on a pair of black, clearly masculine, pants that were obviously a few sizes too big for her. Even so, the touch of the fabric against her hurt skin made her grimace, and forced her to hold her breath more than once. Once rolled up, so they wouldn’t drag all over the floor, Sarah looked around for something she could cover her bare feet with. The best she could manage were a pair of rubber slippers, also too big but that, because they were slippers, she could somehow keep on her feet.

Pulling her disheveled hair up, she knotted it into a bun and finally went for the door, opening it carefully.

She stood still, for a moment, just listening, looking for some indication that she wasn’t alone, but the world around her remained completely silent. She quickly concluded she stood on a corridor with three other doors, besides the one on her back. This house must be huge, she guessed finding the staircase leading downstairs. Firmly holding onto the handrail, she went down step by step, fearing her shaky legs would give in at any second, too dizzy to completely trust her own strength.

By the time she reached the ground floor she felt completely spent, and had to stop for an instant to regain her lost breath.

“What are you doing out of bed, miss?” a worried voice demanded making her head pound painfully. But, even so, she was ready to defend herself if needed be, the instant she turned around. “Heaven’s sake! The young master told me you’d be sleeping until nightfall!”

“Nightfall …?” She was feeling confused again and looked around for something that might tell her the time. “What time is it?”

“Almost six in the afternoon,” the nice woman replied, watching her with a worried expression and showing enough sensibility to guard some space between the two of them. “You slept the whole night and all through the day,” she went on and Sarah took a hand to her face, feeling it moist and shaky.

“So, today is already tomorrow …” she concluded, trying to reorder her thoughts, and looked back at the woman watching her with a pained expression. “Where’s this place?”

“This is the young master’s house. He told me you fell into a hole. He brought you here and took care of you. But you don’t have to worry!” she quickly added. “The young master is studying to be a doctor. I’m sure he took really good care of you.”

Sarah felt her legs crumble dangerously. What was that woman talking about? Sure she clearly remembered the hole in the ground. But she most certainly hadn’t fell in it. And what was that story about a medicine student? In her memories Alexis was the one who’d rescued her … She didn’t remember seeing anyone else ... Her memories and those words didn’t match at all. Was she finally losing her mind? Because she wouldn’t be surprised at all if that were the case.

Maybe I’m already in some hospital, and these are all visions caused by the drugs, she wondered and couldn’t help smile sarcastically at how real the possibility really was.

“Miss, won’t you sit down for a minute?” The woman suggested, taking a step towards her, but Sarah immediately stood straight, backing that same step. “You don’t have to be afraid. The young master told me I shouldn’t touch you. But why don’t you go into the living room and just take a sit for a while?” she insisted, indicating the opened stone arch right in front of her. “You’re not looking all too well …”

Sarah decided to obey her. The woman seemed genuinely worried about her well being, and who knew, maybe if she didn’t oppose her too much she’d be willing to help her. All she needed was to convince the nice woman to call her a taxi, since without knowing where she was and feeling dizzy and weak as she did, leaving the house to wonder aimless on the streets was hardly the best idea.

With wavering steps, always closely watched by the nice woman’s attentive gaze, Sarah stepped into the living room and grimaced painfully as she sat down on the first armchair she reached.

“Feeling any better?”

Not really!

Sarah smiled before she answered.

“I’ll be fine. It’s only bruises and scratches.”

“You don’t have to try and look strong in front of me. I saw all too well the state you were in, when I changed your clothes. But I suppose you don’t remember much about that, since your were burning up. My name is Anne.”

Sarah had the slight impression of a woman being in her room and that name wasn’t strange at all, but Anne was right, she couldn’t remember a big part of what had happened.

“Pleasure to meet you. I’m Sarah,” she introduced herself and the woman gave her a smile that told her that she already knew that. “Anne, I really need to get going. There are people waiting for me, and by now I’m sure they’re worried sick. I’m not in the habit of sleeping away from home, much less disappear for more than twenty-four hours without telling anyone about my whereabouts,” she lied, trying to appeal to the other woman’s softer side, and Anne seemed genuinely worried about her situation.

“I see … I’m really sorry. I’m sure you’re right,” she said, impatiently looking down at her wrist-watch. “The young master will be back soon. I’m sure he’ll take you home as soon as he arrives. I really don’t think you’re in any condition to take a bus or even a taxi. And in any way it’s not safe, for someone in your state to be walking around alone, this late in the evening.” Sarah grumbled in her thoughts, unable to counter her arguments. “In the mean while I’ll heat you a plate of soup. Made it especially for you. It’s light and has lots of vitamins and water. The young master told me you should have some, since you haven’t had anything to eat since last night. It’ll be just a minute,” she announced and rushed towards the arch as Sarah sighed, aware that she would never be able to convince her otherwise.

 

* If you want to know more about this book or simply access earlier updates, please visit the official site at http://carpersanti.net/gaea/

Right now you can read up to Chapter 14 ^_^

Also, please consider supporting the author so she can go on putting her madness out there for anyone to read: https://www.patreon.com/carpersanti ?

1