Interlude 2 — A Drake’s Growth
835 16 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Boop~

Yes, there is a second Interlude! Hope you like it, enjoy~

 

Many years had already passed since the tiny hatchling left the cave to follow that delicious smell. Since then, so much happened. So much struggle, so many fights, and near-death situations. But it prevailed, learned, and evolved. 

The hatchling, now a medium-sized Poison Drake, was only a few levels away from its first evolution into a full-fledged dragon. Over the years, it managed to claim a small part of the forest as its own territory, steadily trying to push the borders. 

Lately, it kept failing to do so in the western region. The Abyssal Ants refused to bulge; ten more replaced every ant killed every time. It was a war against windmills. The small village of lizardmen located south of it was creepily easy to fight against in comparison. It was a good hunting ground for rarer food and treasures. 

The western region was the quietest one and by far the biggest hunting ground for the young monster. Yet, the northern part... the drake shuddered at the thought. Noxia wouldn't dare to go near that place. Nor would any other creature with a glimpse of intelligence. Too eerie was the aura that surrounded that place. Noxia once flew above it and saw only trees and one big meadow in the middle. The view itself wouldn't indicate anything sinister, but the young drake could feel that the epitome of that aura originated indeed from this harmless-looking meadow. 

Whatever creature lurked down there, Noxia wouldn't dare to face it. Not yet, at least. She was a proud and brazen drake, but not suicidal... at least not that suicidal. 

Noxia was out for another hunt in the western region when she suddenly heard yelling and fighting noises. Curious, she ran through the forest until she reached something that looked similar to a lizardman's campsite. But this one looked more advanced and utterly different. The creatures that were yelling walked on two feet like the lizard tribes, but unlike them, their skin wasn't covered in scales. It looked similar to the skin of a plucked chicken, although not quite as ugly. It had a certain smoothness to it, especially from the smaller framed ones. Were they the females? She looked around but couldn't determine that height told one that. 

Noxia wasn't bothered about gender; it was a novel concept to her. Even if the System told her she was female, she didn't even know what made her that. What concerned her more was whether or not the other being was good-naturedly disposed towards her. She recognized intelligence and wouldn't hunt those who had a certain reflection of themselves in their eyes. 

Another yell brought her back from the depths of her mind, and she mustered the situation those creatures were in again. As it seemed, they fought with each other. But why? 

The more Noxia observed, the less she understood why they fought. It wasn't for territory(that was certain), nor was it for the honor. It looked pure and brutal, and the young drake would definitely think they were mindless beasts created for slaughter if it weren't for the communication between them—so many louds and words she didn't understand. 

Noxia knew what language meant and could speak her own draconic one. But where hers was noble, the language of those beings was crude. 

Insulted by the constant slaughtering of a spoken language, Noxia stepped out from her hiding place and roared. 

Instantly, the creatures were taken aback by her sudden appearance. A few of them immediately turned around and ran away. Understandably, thought Noxia. 

The creatures that fought among themselves began forming a defense line. Curiously, Noxia eyed them. 

They fought themselves so recklessly like mindless beasts but promptly united in front of a more significant threat just like that; how novel, commented the drake in her head. She guessed that their will to live made them behave like that. 

At this realization, Noxia showed a toothy grin. She could smell the fear of those barbarians on her tongue. When she first saw them, she wanted to learn more about these desquamated lizards, but now she was up for an unknown challenge. 

Her tail swished from side to side, ready to attack them at any second. They, on the other site, were patient. They weren't dumb and knew breaking their formation would lead to their instant demise. 

Unknowingly to them, Noxia used their uncertainty to inspect those things further. Their armor seemed more complex and purer than the lizardmen's; the same went for weapons. Some weapons also looked similar to those of the shamans. Those were hiding behind the ones with shields. They looked sturdy. 

Noixa forged a simple plan in her head. The first targets she had to take care of were those shamans. Anything that needed protection like that had a high power but low defensive capability. Next would be the one with swords and shields. Once those were gone, everyone else was simple.

From one second to the next, she made her first move. She used her poison breath that also clouded the area to obstruct the view of her enemies. 

Startled, the creatures yelled commands, but it was already too late. Noxia was, unlike her size would tell, swift as a jaguar in an overgrown jungle. Before they could react, she slashed her massive claws through the shamans. With ease, they destroyed the light armor and sliced through their flesh, bone, and muscle. The result was bloody, and innards splattered everywhere. 

'ping' You have killed Human Priest (Lvl. 6)

'ping' You have killed worker Human Mage (Lvl.10) 

Huh, so those things are called human, I see, mustered Noxia.

She focused her attention back on the shield bearers, who shouted angrily, obviously enraged by their own uselessness. Still, before they could even turn around and face her, Noxia used another of her abilities to walk through their ranks in an ethereal poison form. By now, the creatures, called humans, were already coughing blood from inhaling the poison over and over again. It only came in Noxia's favor that they fought before amongst each other and were tired. The heavy breathing that resulted only brought their demise faster to them. 

The first ones that fell to the ground were the archer, followed by a few swordsmen. 

'ping' You have killed worker Human Archer (Lvl.5) 

'ping' You have killed worker Human Swordmen (Lvl.13) 

'ping' You have killed worker Human Ranger (Lvl.3) 

'ping' You have killed worker Human Swordsmen (Lvl.8) 

The shield bearers looked exhausted but still stood their ground, as did some of the others that wielded speers. By now, the cloud had dissipated.

A deep, eerie laugh escaped Noxia. Her reaction made the hairless chickens even angrier because they started to realize how the young drake only toyed with them. 

That much was true; Noxia didn't take them seriously. Her instincts to measure an enemy never failed so far, and in front of those things, they only told her they were easy targets. 

Yet, as much as Noxia enjoyed playing around, she also quickly became bored. 

Let's end this, she smiled and away from them. 

The humans had only a fraction of a second to be confused before they were suddenly skewered by rock-hard poison spikes that shot up from the ground. 

Gurgling sounds could be heard in the background. The humans were dead. 

'ping' You have killed [...]

...

...

...

'Ding' You reached level 20. 

'ding' Requirements for evolution met.

Noxia grinned, Finally!

 

Um, also. I was told to maybe use sworders instead of swordsmen because of inclusiveness. You want that? You you feel bothered by the term swordsmen?

34