Chapter 16: The System; Beta Version
136 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I opened my eyes again I was back in my room. 

"..." I look around absent-mindedly. 

"Oh... It was a dream?" 

I rub my face with my palms while also sighing out in relief. 

"Haha-ha-Hahahaha! Thank goodness Gods! Haha--I'm glad..."

I mutter to myself as I laugh pathetically to wash out the remnants of anxiety and depression still lingering in me whilst waking up. 

Thank goodness. Thank goodness really! 

That dream may not resemble anything of a nightmare but it still terrified the shit out of me. 

"Haah... Praise the Goddess." 

With a final sigh of relief I then rolled off my sheets to go on my usual daily routine. 

As I got up on my feet intending to go to the bathroom, I suddenly notice something. 

"...!" 

I feel so light and it feels like my body is easier to move in now. 

What is this? Let's check the system. 

"Status." 

Health 105/105 Strength 48/100 Vitality 71/100
Stamina 70/70 Agility 41/100 Charm 47/100
Magic 100/100 Dexterity 39/100 Intelligence 75/100


Stat Points 2
Market Points 110

Abilities

Advance Mathematics 72/100
Fire Magic 1/100
Water Magic 1/100
Earth Magic 1/100
Wind Magic 1/100
Light Magic 1/100
Void Magic 1/100

"Wow." 

My stats changed so much. There's a significant increase in my stamina. And some increase in my strength, agility and dexterity. Even my vitality. 

Is it because we walked so much yesterday?

I remember being so tired yesterday I was pushing myself so as to not worry the others. My legs were aching from all the walking and keeping up with the kids' energy while playing together and running after them all day. And later when I looked up my stats when we finally came home, I saw I was down to one digit in stamina. 

All the walking helped me more than I I thought. 

"Hmm~ yesterday was so fruitful." 

Satisfied with my newfound improvements, I beamed at what seems to gonna be a good day. 

I took a step forward to the bathroom once more to start my day when it appeared. 

*DING!* *DING!* *DING!* 

A sudden fanfair sounded mysteriously in my ears together with a system message appearing in my view. 

MISSION

  • BE ABLE TO WALK BY YOURSELF. (COMPLETE) 

REWARDS:

5 STAT POINTS

10 MARKET POINTS




A new function? 

Oh yeah, I noticed the system somewhat got some new functions during the baptism ritual yesterday. 

I gotta investigate it further later. 

And I guess the completion makes sense. With how much my stats increased I should've noticed it earlier. 

I am currently not using my cane because I thought I wouldn't need it since I was just going to the bathroom and wouldn't take long so it would not tire my legs at all. 

But with this I guess it's aright for me to not use the cane anymore. 

Great. Because I wasn't fond of it in the first place. It doesn't suit my style at all. 

I continued on my way, happy at the new discovery. 

I did my usual routine, after brushing my teeth and taking a dump I went back into the room to do the usual exercises. 

Originally, I was doing these exercises to help my legs to recover faster. As advised by the therapist before. So even though I know I can now walk all I want no problem it doesn't hurt to still do some morning exercises. 

And as I expected, I lasted longer than before and it also didn't tire me out as much. 

I then went back to the bathroom to take a hot shower. 

Today I wore a plain shirt and some comfortable shorts. Perfect for staying leisurely at home. 

I decided to hop back in to my bed and stay in my room until mom decides to call me down for breakfast. 

Besides, I have things I want to check out on. 

"Status." I call out again. 

Then the familiar blue screen appeared in my view again. 

Health 105/105 Strength  48/100 Vitality 71/100
Stamina 65/70 Agility  41/100 Charm 50/100
Magic 100/100 Dexterity 39/100 Intelligence 75/100


Stat Points 7
Market Points 120

Abilities

Advenced Mathematics 72/100
Fire Magic 1/100
Water Magic 1/100
Earth Magic 1/100
Wind Magic 1/100
Light Magic 1/100
Void Magic 1/100

"...?"

What? I seriously earned three additional levels in charm just by getting rid of that cane? 

"I knew it did not suit me at all." 

Now I also need to get my body in shape so it could catch up. 

"Okay... So how, do I do this?" 

Yesterday, there was that system help function that I acquired supposedly. 

But how do I make it work? 

"Um... He-hello?" 

Nothing. 

I smacked my palm to my face in shame. 

Yeah right! Like that would work. 

I strangely feel like deja vu. Weird. 

"Ahem." I clear my throat awkwardly. 

Think! How do I make it work? 

"System help... O-on?" So cringe. 

PLEASE DESIGNATE A COMMAND WORD TO USE THIS FUNCTION



"Oh it worked!" I clap successfully. 

A command huh? Let's see... 

"Designate 'Search' as command word." 

It is a help function so the first thing that came to my mind was Google. But I can't really use that since it's obviously not the same as Google so I just used the second thing that came to my mind. 

Because don't you usually 'search' up things you don't know?

Yup, this 'command' is the most appropriate. 

"Alright let's start the questioning!"

First question. 

"Search. Why did the system suddenly get an upgrade?" 

Will it answer? Is this even within the scope it can answer? 

Anyways, if I can find out how the system suddenly upgraded maybe I can figure out a way to upgrade it again in the future. 

Because it seems that with an upgrade, I can get more useful functions like these in the future. 

Of course I'd want it. 

...SEARCH: WHY DID THE SYSTEM SUDDENLY GET AN UPGRADE?... 

......

*DING!*

...BECAUSE OF THE ACTIVATION OF THE HOST'S MERIDIANS; MAGIC POWER WAS FINALLY ABLE TO REACH THROUGHOUT THE HOST'S BODY, THIS ENABLED THE SEED TO BE SUPPLIED WITH THE NECESSARY ENERGY TO GROW TO THE BETA STAGE. THUS, THE SYSTEM ENTERED THE BETA VERSION... 



With a small fanfare it really presented me an answer. 

Its probably talking about my meridians which can be found throughout a person's body which would then supply mana to the rest of the body, enabling the person to use magic. It's the same as what grandpa and my research says. But... 

"What is this seed its talking about?" 

Did it mean the system? Was it referring to itself when it said seed? Then does that mean that if I am able to increase my magic I'll be able to also improve the system? 

I can only speculate that much. But considering that it is... 

A stray thought came to mind. 

It is saying that it was able to enter beta version? 

"If this is the beta version then what was the previous system I used?... Search..." 

...SEARCH: WHAT WAS THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE SYSTEM?...

... 

*DING!*

...THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE SYSTEM IS THE TRIAL VERSION... 



"Oh is that so?" 

Then on to the next question. 

This one is something I'm really curious about. 

"Search: What is the normal threshold for regular human stats?" 

Right. Because my vitality seems to be out of the ordinally. 

With much anticipation to finally sollve this mystery, I await the answer. 

...SEARCH: WHAT IS THE NORMAL THERESHOLD FOR 'REGULAR' HUMAN STATS?...

......

*DING!*

...THE ACHIEVABLE MAXIMUM POTENTIAL OF A HUMAN IS LEVEL 100. BUT IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT FOR THEM TO ACHIEVE THIS. THE REGULAR PERSON'S LEVEL ARE ALL AVERAGING TO LEVEL 50, ANYTHING BEYOND THAT THERESHOLD ARE CONSIDERED EXCEPTIONAL. SINCE THERE IS A NATURAL LEVEL CAP LIMITING THEM TO BE JUST WITHIN THIS THERESHOLD THEY ARE CONSIDERED TO BE EXCEPTIONAL HUMANS, A CUT ABOVE THE REST... 



Woah! Say what now? Level fifty is the normal level for regular people? 

So that's why my vitality is so awesome! 

No wait! That's not the important thing right now! 

If level fifty is what is considered normal for most people, them I'm waaaay too abnormal. I have two stats way beyond that point. Does that mean I'm some sort of super human? 

L-let's try... Search! 

Giving in to the inner curious child in me I search for that stupid question. 

...ANYTHING BEYOND THE POINT OF THE NATURAL LEVEL CAP IS CONSIDERED EXCEPTIONAL. THEY ARE CONSIDERED EXCEPTIONAL HUMANS. ANYTHING BEYOND LEVEL 100 ARE THE SUPER HUMANS... 



Is what it says. 

Oh shit! Say what now? You can go beyond level one hundred? 

"Gulp." I suddenly had a disturbing thought. 

"Search: Are there any super humans here in this world?" 

If there are I would have to be very careful. I wouldn't want to unintentionally provoke one after all. Better to stay on their good graces. 

Will it be able to answer? This may be beyond the scope of what it can answer. Then again I think I've been going a bit off that scope since earlier. 

...SEARCH: ARE THERE ANY SUPER HUMANS IN THIS WORLD?... 

...... 

*DING!*

...QUESTION INCOMPREHENSIBLE. UNABLE TO INPUT ENOUGH DATA TO OUTPUT AN ANSWER...

......



"..." 

Ofcourse. The system isn't some all-knowing entity so it obviously cannot know these kinds of things. 

I have to remember this in the future. And I would also have to be careful just in case. 

I would have no way of knowing if I somehow got in the bad side of a super human, that's dangerous.  

As a deep frown was forming on my face because of the disturbing things I have look out for in the future was when another message popped up in my view. 



...IT HAS BEEN DEEMED IMPOSSIBLE BY THE SYSTEM TO SURPASS THE NATURAL MAXIMUM POTENTIAL OF HUMANS WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SYSTEM... 



"...!!!" 

Ack! Excuse me? 

So this would actually mean, there are ultimately no super humans in the world after all. 

No. That's not it. I am not sure if there are other people that has a system other than me after all. 

This would mean the only ones that can become one are those with a system. 

If that is the case, are there other people like me that have a system? 

Let's asks. Search! 

...QUESTION INCOMPREHENSIBLE. UNABLE TO INPUT ENOUGH DATA TO OUTPUT AN ANSWER...



Eh? I honestly thought I would be able to get an answer though. After all, it is still something connected to the system. 

I guess this means any questions regarding any outside party won't be able to be answered, huh? 

Haah... Fair enough. The system isn't some all-knowing entity so it cannot know everything in the world. 

I can't believe I forgot that so soon. 

Alright! Onto the next question! 

"Search. What is the purpose of the Stat points and market points?" I asks like so. 

After all, isn't it wierd that the market points are exchangeable to Stat points in a one is to one ratio? It's like a bug if you think about it. Because then, why would I need Stat points for then, when I could just use my Market points right? 

That's why I think it doesn't make sense. Could it really be a bug? 

But what came out as answers are what I already know. It was just explaining the purpose of each of the two points. 

I guess it's my fault. I have to further elaborate the question. 

"Search. Why is the Market points convertible to Stat points?" 

Will this be enough? I'm not sure if it can be questioned by extremely complicated questions though.

...SEARCH: WHY IS THE MARKET POINTS CONVERTABLE TO STAT POINTS... 

...... 

*DING!*

...TO GIVE THE HOST THE OPTION OF HAVING A WAY TO BOOST STATS DURING EMERGENCY SITUATIONS WITHIN A TIME LIMIT. THIS METHOD OF RAISING STATS IS EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT. IT IS ADVISED TO ONLY USE THIS DURING EMERGENCY SITUATIONS... 




"Oh so it was an emergency precaution. That's really great to know." 

I was seriously having the mind of converting half my market points to Stat points for some time. Thank goodness I'm able to know of this before I made a brash decision. 

This is going great! I'm learning so much new useful information. 

Let's go to the next question right awa-

"AZIEL BREAKFAST! PLEASE GET THE KIDS DOWN TOO!" I suddenly heard mom's yell as I was just thinking of the next question. 

"Oh breakfast!" 

I totally forgot! 

I got too immerse with this new function breakfast completely slipped off my mind. 

I don't want to miss mom's cooking after all. 

Call it my inner craving. My mother passed away early in my previous life after all. I always felt like wasn't able to savor her moments better. 

So I guess I am unconsciously trying to make it up for that with mom. 

I swear it's just that! I'm not some momma's boy alright?!!! 

I stood up from my comfortable spot on the bed intending to go to the kids' room to get the kids all the while stretching my arms a bit. That's when the sudden vibration and ringing of my phone arrived, indicating a new message. 

Who could it be? 

I fish it up from my short's pocket and looked at the message's address. It was a message from Issac. 

What could he possibly need? 

Isaac: Sir Aziel, I'm messaging you to remind you of our event today. It would be in the Mathematical association's building the same place as the last time. The event would be in two hours I hope to meet you soon. 



Oh shit I totally forgot! 

8