Chapter 22: Unreasonable
104 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the vast white empty space of the Divine realm, in a certain Sacred Space.  

An image of the lower world, the earthly plane of the mortals, is being projected in this certain space using one of the many applications of divine power. 

If a modern person is to see this they would exclaim in shock since it is very similar to what it looks like when using 3D projection. 

Currently there is an oppressive aura enveloping this entire Sacred Space. The atmosphere is so heavy that the Lower Divines serving in this Sacred Space are trembling while they bow on their knees. 

They could not understand why. 

Since they gained awareness and consciousness of their being they had never experience something like this. 

No!

They did not ever thought they would experience something like this while serving their beautiful and beloved Goddess. 

She is such a loving, warm, caring, gentle and elegant Goddess. 

They would often feel her loving warmth akin to a mother's serene embrace. Always providing them with solace. 

But now is different. There is nothing resembling those right now. 

Nowhere can the usual warmth be seen. It has been replaced by a chilly creeping coldness. 

Nowhere can the love they wouldn't get tired of be found. Instead what they see is a newfound ruthlessness and madness. 

Nowhere is the care they always longed for is. It has been replaced with this pressing oppressive aura dawning on them pressing them on their knees. 

Nowhere can they find solace anywhere here right now. Because, on the contrary, the very owner of this place feels like a threat on their very being. 

And here is the very opposite of serene at this moment. 

This all started when they started to notice the unusual behavior the Goddess is having for a while now. 

For example, although she would always watch and observe her 'children' in the lower worlds for her entertainment like usual, using that very way of projecting the earthly realm using divine power, she would now just watch one certain specific world. 

To be precise, just one certain specific mortal. 

That mortal is the very soul that caused a stir of uproar in the Divine realm a while back. 

They just ignored it and thought it may be unusual but it is still very understandable. 

After all, the Goddess must've just been too saddened by what her child has experienced without her knowing and is now very concerned and worried of the mortal's new life. 

Such is something that they could expect from the usual ever loving and caring Goddess. 

There was even a time when they were so surprised that she gave a name to an Arch Divine and sent him to the the earthly realm together with the soul. 

Such a thing is unprecedented since time immemorial. There are cases where the Lower Divines would be sent to a mission to the earthly realms to give and spread divine messages, holy edicts and prophecies. While the Divines with much higher divinity, the Arch Divines would be sent to worlds where an extinction level catastrophe is to occur, they'd be tasked of making sure that some of the humans there would still survive despite the catastrophe, to provent that world from dying. 

As such, sending an Arch Divine to become a single soul's guard is utterly outrageous. It should've been against the Absolute Order (Law) of Ways since time immemorial. 

And accourding to one such law in the Order of Ways, there should've been a repulsion force that rejected the action of the Goddess that had not allowed Gidion to be able to follow the soul to the lower world. 

They had expected Gidion to be forcefully sent back to the Divine realm by this Law but shockingly there was no such thing. This greatly shocked the entire Divine realm once more. Be it the High, Arch and the rest of the Lower Divines, no one was an exception. 

And thus, caused confusion. 

As time goes by the actions of the Goddess has just become more and more bizzare. 

She now rarely watch and observe the other worlds. She would now only project the other worlds when she heard one of her saints and saintesses pray to her about a pressing matter, such as, giving blessings or appointing a new saint, etc. Otherwise she would not take her eyes off that certain mortal. 

Even then she would just summon a small projection of those other worlds. Where she could continue watching the life sized projection of that certain world and the mortal while still being able to talk and see her saints and saintesses. 

She refuse to keep her eyes off the projection of the mortal for more that at least five minutes. 

She would also talk about how gallant and handsome this certain child of hers is. 

Over and over. 

Sometimes even patting the head and caressing the cheeks of the projection when she thought that this child of hers was so adorable. 

Up until that point they thought of this as the natural adoration and care of a mother when they found out how their child had endured so much without them knowing. 

But considering the current situation right now... 

They finally understood. 

The Goddess favors the mortal so much, she's more like a mother who doesn't mind whatever her child does and would continue to lavish them no matter the cost, contrary to her usual self of being a fair mother who would love all her children equally. 

Such a sudden change, they had never experienced nor have they expected it. 

As such when the mortal in the projection was stabbed to the chest the Goddess flew into a fit of rage. 

Another thing they had never experienced. 

"How... could they!?" 

Another strong gust of divinity came with a trash of her dainty looking arm. 

"To their precious poor brother... Wh- h-how... HOW COULD THEY!" 

One violent wave of divinity rocked the Sacred Space with a stomp of her delicate foot. 

"No... No no... I-I-I sent him a guard for this very reason..."

There was a short calm as she talked to herself as such but... 

"What... WHAT WAS HE DOING!!!"

A stronger torrent of divinity came that made it felt like a massive earthquake shook the entire Sacred Space is happening just after. 

"GIIIIDDIOOON!!! GET ME GIDION HERE! RIGHT. NOW!!!"

She yelled madly and her divinity flared even more violently sending their consciousness awash for a brief minute. Giving them a brief taste of the worst terror for all Divines. 

Then they immediately  scamper to do as told right as the regained their consciousness with a glare from the Goddess. 


                                                                                 

I finished punishing the two mortals quickly. 

I didn't want to prolong my stay in the favored one's body less he regain consciousness earlier that I had surmised. 

That would bring serious trouble and pressure to his consciousness and soul. 

And as my consciousness is obviously vastly stronger he'd be expelled of this body almost immediately. If that happens I would have a serious trouble catching his soul and making it return to this body. 

So I quickly went back into the edifice to erase all traces of what happend to prevent further troubles later. Then I returned to the favored one's home. 

I returned using the way he used to escape, through the window of his room. 

I then immediately went and cleaned this body just like how he usually does in his bathroom. Then I dressed this body with the more comfortable clothing he wears when going to rest. 

I lay this body onto the bed and finally willed my very being to get out of the body just as carefully and nimbly as I entered. 

I finally sighed in relief when I safely made it out. 

This day has been really troublesome. I have been caught off guard because of my carelessness, I shall spare no effort to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future. 

Just as I am having such thought to myself I received a transmission in my consciousness to return to the divine realm by the Goddess' orders. 

...What? 

Did my liege found out about my blunder? How?

No that couldn't be. 

The Goddess should be watching the many worlds just like she usually do. 

Maybe she would send me to another misson. 

I smile. 

I finally get to see my liege again after a while. 

                                                                                 

"So? Tell me what you were thinking letting such a thing happend before I wash away your consciousness for millenniums!" I shiver at the very thought.

I am currently on both of my knees with my head down because of the pressing  immense pressure of divinity as soon as I arrived in the Goddess' Sacred Space.

My Liege? 

Is it truly my Goddess? It couldn't be. This... 

And how could my liege have found out so fast in the first place? Has she been watching all this time? 

"Urk!..." 

The pressure on me suddenly became twice as heavy making my consciousness blur briefly. When I regained focus again I am engulfed by an instinctual fear. 

Then I realized. 

She's serious. She would really do it!

"Are you not going to talk? Then see you after several milleniums..."

"M-my liege!..." I hurried to say in a tremble. 

Looks like the Goddess favors the mortal more that I had thought. 

"I-I... I admit I had made a mishap..." 

This mistake is the most embarrassing thing for me since gaining my awareness. 

"B-but... The mortal hasn't died I managed to save him!" I plead. 

"..." 

No answer. 

But the pressure pressing me lessened significantly. Now that I have a little leeway I hesitantly sneek a peek at the Goddess' reaction. 

The previous expression of extreme rage I saw for the first time earlier is now nowhere to be seen, instead, replaced by an impatient look of shock. 

"Really?" She ask with anxiousness. 

"Y-yes. Of course my Goddess-" 

I haven't even finished what I was going to saw when she immediately waved her hand and a wave of divinity woven itself to form a projection big enough as the person himself. 

I was surprised. Doesn't the Goddess usually project the earthly realms normally? Just enough to observe and watch the world comfortably as she sat on her sit conjured by divinity. 

In the projection is the image of the peacefully sleeping favored one. 

"Haa... I see. Thank goodness..." The Goddess sigh in relief and she continued to watch over the favored one warmly. 

"..." 

She continued doing so as if she had completely forgotten my existence here. 

By now the pressure pressing me on my knees has disappeared but I continued to stay on that position anyways and continue my report. 

"My liege I have also punished the two mortals that have endangered the favored one. Please excuse my rushness in taking away precious lives as I thought they would just continue to be a danger in the future." I tread carefully. 

"...!" The Goddess flinched as I say as such. 

She must be angry that I took lives of my own accord. The Goddess may favor the favored one more than usual but she is still a just mother who loves all her children equally after all. 

"I am terribly sorry my Godde-" I start to hastily apologize. 

"... Is that so? Very well. Good job they have been punished accordingly then..." But I didn't finish. 

... 

......? 

I blink in confusion. 

She... isn't angry? 

Ah! What I have done must be just reasonable then. I am glad. 

I breath a sigh of relief. 

The Goddess suddenly stood from her sit conjured by her divinity and made a motion to form a portal. 

"I am going to pay sister Death a visit I haven't met her for a while."

The Goddess' mood seems to have been uplifted as she giggled her way out of her Sacred Space into the portal. 

With the Goddess gone I surmised my purpose here is done so I returned into my post beside the favored one. 

Now that I know that the Goddess favors him like so I would naturally put more effort to the Goddess' order as well. 

                                                                                 

I breath a sigh of relief when I managed to stop the dagger from making its way into his heart further using one of my divinity's domains. 

Fortune. 

"Haah... Seriously! Just a little more and that could've ended him."

What is that Arch Divine think he's doing!? Isn't his job to become his guard? He isn't doing his job right! 

I've been too complacent too, thinking it'll be alright since the Arch was there anyways. I shouldn't have... 

I reflect. 

But still! 

"That Arch Divine! I'll have to teach him a lesson!" 

With reddened eyes of rage the High Divine swore as such while staring at a familiar blue screen. 

                                                                                 


"Hmm?" 

In a different Sacred Space, the owner of the space turned her head in confusion at the sudden appearance of a portal in her domain. 

"Oh sister~ it's been a while~."

But she didn't seem bothered since she recognized the energy signature of the Divinity that could be sensed from the portal. 

And as she had expected, the High Divine who came out was someone close to her. 

"Hm-mm! Been a while Fertility, glad to see you've recovered." She replied. 

The last time she saw the High Divine before her she was so devastated by the very unfortunate fate her 'child'. The Goddess looked so heartbroken then. 

"Well yes... somehow..." The Goddess of Fertility's voice seem die down of enthusiasm all of a sudden. 

The other Goddess just smiled bitterly at this sight. 

"Hmm... That's good! So? What seem to have brought you here like this suddenly?" She decided to change the subject to salvage her mood. 

She returned into supervising the transitioning of the souls as she has always done pretending to be occupied to make it seem more casual. 

When mortals die, their souls are sent to her domain to be processed and transitioned to either go to 'heaven' or 'hell' based on their deeds when they were alive. 

"Haha yes sorry about that." And as expected the Goddess of Fertility returned to her previous mood. 

Normally, before going into another High Divine's Sacred Space other High Divines would need the permission of the owner of that Sacred Space. But since the two are close friends they unanimously allow the other to come as they please. But even when they know this, the two still continued to pay respect to the rule as a sign of courtesy to each other as well as to show their respects. 

They're close but the two understands that respect is to be given as they are due. 

They would normally just send an advance message saying that the other would like to come for a visit and such but this time the Goddess of Fertility obviously did not do so. 

And thus, this urged curiosity from the fellow Goddess. 

"Actually, I have a favor to ask of sister Death if you don't mind~." The Goddess of Fertility said with a somewhat ominous giggle. 

This prompted a cute crease on the Goddess' of Death nose as she frowns in confusion. 

"Hmm?" 

4