The Dragon and The Bard
47 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(The Dragon Maid series is getting a remaster next year, or when I finish five or six long chapters for this book involving Smaug's past. Important changes will be coming in the Remastered, such as new and updated lore. More stuff involving the characters added after the Dragon Maid S series and Dave.)

(I guess I can call this the start of the Broken Villain Arc.)

Inside Kobayashi's apartment, we see a long red scaled tail poking out of the Kotatsu. Kobayashi, Kanna and Tohru, who is folding clothes, are sitting on the couch. Kanna and Ilulu are eating at the dinner table and Dave, for some reason he's there, is sitting at the kotatsu, coloring in a kids book.

The kids are down for a nap in the dragon room. And Dave is rocking his new scar.

Smaug's head pops out from the kotatsu. "I want my gold. I haven't seen my bag of holding in a while."

"I stored it in the closet in our room." Ilulu informs.

"Umu." Smaug closes his eyes. "Ugh, I don't want to risk waking the kids up."

Smaug face-plants the ground and groans. "I wish I was a kid again, everything was simpler. I didn't have to save the world several times in the span of over three to four years."

"You say that now, but you did go through quite a lot." Tohru states as she folded up a shirt and sets it in a basket.

"You know, I don't think you really have ever talked about your past, Smaug." Kobayashi says. "I nearly know everything about Tohru, but not much about you."

Smaug looks up at her. "I haven't told you much?" Kobayashi nods. "Huh? Well, what do you want to know?"

"I know nearly everything about you, Smaug." Dave smiles.

"Shut up, Dave!"

Kobayashi hums in thought and puts a hand on her chin. "Well, you did tell me you harbored a great hatred for humans, but never really went into why, other than your father telling you too."

Smaug hums. "Well, I can tell you several stories on why..." Smaug looks slightly hesitant, but continues. "So let's start out at the earliest memory of mine. Let's call this story... The Dragon and The Bard."

.

.

.

.

15,523 years ago

A large green forest rests on a large plain. A sizable town resides on the edge of it, tall walls, many towers and guards. A couple of ballista bolts patrol the skies. And in the back is a large mansion.

Several miles inside the forest is a small farming community,farmers tiling the fields, their wives tending to the livestock. Children running through the town playing as birds chirp in the distance.

Yet, no one notices all the birds go quite as a large shadow approaches the town at a swift speed.

A farmer slams his hoe into the ground and stands up straight, as he rests an arm on the top of the handle. He takes off his hat and wipes his brow with it and lets out a sigh.

A large shadow overs him, he looks up only to be met with flames. Everyone starts screaming and running say as flames take over the buildings as a dragon's roar is heard.

A toddler cries in the middle of a street as buildings crumble around him, only to be picked up by a passing adult.

A much younger Smaug stomps his way through the town as roars, before spewing flames at the running humans.

This Smaug is very much smaller than his present day form. Being an overall length of 115 feet (35 m), wingspan of 50 feet (15 m), 25 feet (7.6 m).

Smaug roars again before taking off to the skies.

.

.

A guard stands watch in a tower as someone climbs up a set of stairs behind him.

"Anything new?" The new guard asks.

"No, nothing much." The first guard responds.

The seconds guard walks up beside his friend and looks out to the forest. "It's been a very few peaceful days. Makes me think something bad's gonna happen."

The two guards share a laugh. The first guard clears his throat as he stops laughing, his eyes scan the tops of the trees, before a rising smoke pillar way in the distance catches his eyes.

"Oi, what's that?" The first guard points smoke pillar.

The second guard looks out and walks towards the railing and leans out. "Isn't that where, Thúnsh is?"

A roar from the sky catches their attention and the first guard runs up to the second, and they both look up to see Smaug diving down towards the town.

"DRAGON!" The first guard shouts and bells start to ring through the town.

Smaug roars again and he slams his talons into the tower, crushing it.

Smaug stands on the large wooden wall, and lets out an ear piercing roar as soldiers scramble about.

"Get the civilians to sa-" A soldier yells out, only for Smaug's jaw to slam around him.

Smaug breathes fire onto the town and buildings catch aflame as Smaug makes his way through the town. Several soldiers run over to the ballistas on the front of the town, only for Smaug to swing his tail into one, blowing it to pieces.

The second ballista fires its arrow as the long red tail smashes it. The arrow screams through the sky and pierces into Smaug's right wing.

Smaug lets out a roar of anger and breathes fire all around him, as well as slamming his left wing into a building next to him. He then clasps his jaw around the large bolt and rips it out, blood spurts from the wound.

Smaug crushes the bolt in his jaw and continues stomping his way towards the mansion. Several arrows bounce off his face and he turns to the side and sees several soldiers wielding bows on a roof beside him.

Smaug huffs at them and snaps at them, closing his jaw around two of them as the rest get away. Smaug swallows the soldiers he's chewing on and continues walking towards the mansion, while breathing fire onto the town, destroying everything.

...

Inside the mansion the duke and his two daughters and son are being escorted down the halls. The building shakes as Smaug's roar echoes through the building.

"We must hurry." A soldier states. "The dragon will be here soon."

The building shakes again as flames lick the building outside the windows. The Duke's two daughters whimper as the family continues moving down the halls.

"What's with this dragon?" The Duke questions.

"We believe it's one from the Chaos Factions, but why is one so close to the Spectator's faction boarder?" A soldier questions.

"Who cares, we must hurry!" Another soldier shouts.

Suddenly the roof crumbles down above them and everyone looks up to see Smaug stare down at them. The daughters scream and Smaug lets out a roar, before breathing fire down onto the family and the soldiers.

After a few seconds Smaug stops his flames and takes off to the sky, his right wing still bleeding, leaving chard remains behind.

.

.

.

Present

Kobayashi cringes a little. "That was a very violent beginning." Smaug just stares at her. "Right, it's you."

"Yeah, I'm the Great and Powerful Smaug, I show no mercy to my enemies!" Smaug states.

"Yeah, he really doesn't." Dave says as he colors in his book.

Smaug smiles in victory.

"He also shows no mercy in bed." Ilulu smiles.

"Ilulu, now's not the chapter for lewd remarks." Smaug states.

"Chapter?" Everyone questions.

"Okay, now back to my story."

.

.

.

Back in the Past

Smaug flies far above the ground and he lets out a few grunts. He looks to his right wing and sees blood dripping out his wing. He huffs in annoyance.

"Stupid humans." Smaug's slightly deep voice grumbles.

Smaug looks back forward and he flaps his wings. He looks down to the ground and sees a lone cow standing on a dirt roar, eating some grass.

A smile forms on Smaug's face and he dives down towards the cow.

The cow happily chews on some grass it found. Suddenly a pair of talons snatch around it and carry it off into the sky. Smaug flings the cow into the air and snatches it and chews on it, before swallowing.

A group of humans come out of the trees behind Smaug, without him noticing. They all look happy and a few pump their fists.

Smaug flies high above the clouds after just having his snack. A smile forms on his face, only for him to cough a couple times and clears his throat.

Smaug's coughing gets worse and he dips below the clouds. A large mountain rests by itself in the distance. Smaug lands on the ground in a forest and lets out several coughs.

Smaug glows red before he shrinks down and changes into his human form. Smaug's human form is very small, 3.9 feet (120 cm). His red hair goes down just past his ears and he has stubby horns. A 3 foot (1 m) long tail sways behind him. He's wearing a brown cloak.

His right arm is bleeding and a purple hue goes across Smaug's nose as he lets out several coughs.

"Stupid humans!" Smuag's high-ish pitch voice yells. "Did they poison that cow." He coughs several more times. Then he growls in anger and stomps on the ground several times. "How dare they do this to me! I'm the best dragon and they dare to try and kill me."

Smaug yells in anger and punches a tree in anger, causing it to bend forward as he puts a large dent in it. He then stomps on the ground several times. "I'll destroy those darn humans!"

Smaug coughs several more times and groans in pain as he covers his stomach. Smaug kneels on the ground and groans. "Oh, my tummy hurts! Why did I leave the nest today, I should have waited for Tohru or Dad to come home. Ohhhhhh."

Smaug pushes his face into the ground as he groans more. "Oh mommy, my tummy hurts! Mmmmmmm!"

Smaug continues to groan in pain as he hugs his stomach. But then a melody echoes through the air and Smaug's tail shoots up and mimics a question mark.

After a few seconds he stops groaning as his tail taps him on the shoulder. Smaug, with the purple hue grown larger, looks up at his tail, and it points further into the forest.

Smaug looks ahead and he finally hears the music. Smaug tilts his head in confusion and he stands up. Smaug, seemingly forgetting about his stomach ache, walks  into the forest.

Smaug's amber key-hole eyes look around the forest as he walks, seemingly enchanted, towards the melody in the distance. After several minutes of walking, Smaug retches the edge of a cliff and looks down.

Smaug spots a figure sitting below a tree that's resting beside a pond. The figure is playing a lyre, which is giving off a nice melody that's enchanting Smaug.

Smaug crawls over to the edge of the cliff and stares down at the figure. "Such nice music, from a human?"

Smaug leans more forward and his tail sways behind him. Suddenly the cliff edge cracks and it falls apart and takes Smaug with it. Smaug yelps and falls into the water below.

Smaug swims up to the surface, some blood mixes into the water around him from his arm. Smaug reaches the surface and spits out some water.

"Oh, are you okay?" A new voice is heard.

Smaug looks up to see a fair skined male human, with short black hair with short twin braids at the sides of his face. His grey eyes stare at Smaug in curiosity. He holds his hand out to Smaug, a lyre in his other hand.

"Here, let me help you

"Here, let me help you." The Bard says.

Smaug growls at the human. "Don't touch me human." Smaug climbs onto the shore and coughs a few times and his tail shakes around.

"A dragon-kin?" The human questions.

Smaug stands up with an angry look. "I'm no puny dragon-kin! I'm a real powerful dragon!" He coughs a few times and groans in pain.

"Are you okay? You're bleeding."

Smaug growls again. "Of course, the Great... and powerful Smaug... is okay!" Smaug falls backwards and passes out.

The human, in panic, kneels down to Smaug and checks him over. "Oh, he just passed out." He sighs in relief.

The Bard picks up Smaug and carries him off.

.

.

.

Present

"Tohru did mention you ate a poisoned cow once." Dave says as he drinks some tea.

Smaug, who is now a red furred maine coon, lays on top of the kotatsu. "Ugh, that part is so embarrassing." He speaks in cat form.

"When did you gain a cat form?" Kobayashi asks.

"Ehh, a few months ago, not too long before that fight with Evil God Dave."

Kanna pops out of nowhere and starts to pet Smaug. "Kitty. So soft." Smaug starts to purr.

"What happened to Evil God Dave?" Tohru asks.

Smaug lets out a yawn and turns to Tohru, as Kanna keeps petting him. "Well, after the fight and all, we brought Evil Dave back to Drabrotry: The World of Dragons. Then the council had him locked up in the capital while they rebuilt what they could, but he did some real damage to the planet. Haven't heard what they did to him though."

"I just hope they get rid of him." Dave says as he goes back to his coloring book. "He threatened my wife and baby."

"You have a kid?" Ilulu asks.

Dave nods. "Yeah, Elma gave birth a week back."

"Oh me!" Smaug whines. "There's gonna be another you running around."

"Tiarsir is such a cute baby!"

"Ooookkkkkaaayyyy. Back to the story!"

.

.

.

Back in the Past

Smaug slowly comes to and he finds himself laying on something soft. Smaug grunts and slowly opens his eyes, only to be blinded by the sun coming through a window next to his bed.

Smaug shouts in pain and covers his eyes. After a few seconds he opens his eyes and they adjust to the morning sunlight. Smaug blinks a few times and he finds himself in a wooden room, and he's sitting on a bed.

Smaug's long tail slinks out from under the covers. "Where am I?" He looks down at the bed. "Is this what humans call 'The Bed'?"

Suddenly the door opens, making Smaug's tail shoot up and his pupils to shrink.

"Oh, you're awake." In walks the Bard that Smaug met at the pond.

Smaug jumps onto the bed and growls at the Bard. "Where am I human?! You think you can trap me here, I'll have you know, I'm the strongest dragon ever!" He throws his arms up to make himself look bigger.

The Bard blinks a few times, before laughing. "You really are funny."

"Huh?" Smaug tilts his head in confusion.

"It is nice to see you awake, you've been sleeping for a few days."

"HAAAAAH!" Smaug shouts in shock.

The Bard motions for Smaug to follow. "Come on, you must be hungry, so lets get something to eat." He walks to the door and looks back, only to find Smaug hasn't moved. "Well come on, aren't you hungry?"

Smaug crosses his arm and looks away. "No." He stomach growls very loudly and he looks down at it. "Shut up!"

The Bard giggles. "Come on, it's nearing lunch time anyway and I have some spare money to get us both something."

Smaug growls, before hopping off the bed. "I shall follow you Human, but if you try anything, I'll destroy you!"

"Yeah, yeah. Come on let's go!"

Smaug huffs and walks over to the Bard, noticing the human is taller than him, being 4.5 feet (137 cm). Smaug hums in disapproval, and the Bard raises an eyebrow at him.

The two move out of the room and walk down a hall with more doors on each side.

"I don't like how tall you are, human child." Smaug says with disapproval.

"My name's Venti and I'm 14, not a child." He informs. "You look more like a child then I do."

Smaug crosses his arms. "I'll have you know, Human, I am 479 years old. I am not a child, I am the Great Smaug will not be insulted like that!"

"Wow, I didn't know Dragon-kin can live that long."

Smaug grows angry. "I'm not a useless Dragon-kin, I'm a pure blooded dragon!"

"You really are persistent on that." Venti says as he leads Smaug down some stairs.

"Cause it's true!"

The two reach a dining area with a receptionists desk, where a Bunny-kin stands behind it with brown rabbit ears. "Oh, Venti!" The Bunny-kin waves. "I didn't see you enter earlier, how are you?"

"I'm fine Sheena." Venti responds.

Sheena's ears twitch and she notices Smaug behind Venti. "Oh, your Dragon-kin friend is awake."

"I'm not a Dragon-kin!" Smaug shouts in anger, making several people who are eating their meals, look at him.

"Smaug, please calm down." Venit asks and he turns to Sheena. "Can you get us two plates of Turkey legs with mash potatoes?"

Sheena nods. "Yes, please take a seat and food will be out soon."

"Come on, Smaug." Venti smiles as he walks over to a table.

"I will only follow because I am hungry." Smaug states and follows Venit.

The Dragon and The Bard sit down across from each other at a table. Smaug looks around the room in caution, looking at all the people. Several have weapons strapped to their backs or waist.

Smaug narrows his eyes at the one's that have weapons and his tail thumps on the wooden floor several times.

"Hey, it's okay, no one is gonna attack you here." Venti claims.

"You say that now human, but your species is very unpredictable." Smaug stays as his amber eyes continue to look around.

Venti sighs. "I promise Smaug, no one will attack you here, this town is very peaceful, we're just a merchant town. So there are a lot of adventurers around, so crime is very low."

Smaug just keeps looking around in caution, his tail tapping on the floor. His fingers tapping against the table as he watches people walk in and out of the building.

"Kill them." Smaug's father's voice rings in his head. "Kill them all."

Smaug's tail taps on the ground faster, but he's snapped out of his trance as a plate is set in front of him.

"Enjoy!" Sheena smiles as she walks away from the two.

"Enjoy the food Smaug, and don't worry, I'm paying." Venti says and he starts eating.

Smaug looks down at the turkey leg and mash potatoes on his plate. He looks slightly disgusted. "What is this stuff?" He pokes the turkey leg. "Meat isn't supposed to look like this?"

Venti gives Smaug a questionable look. "It's cooked meat, do you not cook your meat?"

"Cook my meat? No I just eat it raw."

"Well try it, you won't regret it." Venti gives Smaug a smile.

Smaug hesitantly picks up the turkey leg and looks at it. "This doesn't even look good. But I shall try it, so be thankful human!" Venti sweat drops.

Smaug brings the turkey leg up to his mouth and slowly takes a bite. Smaug chews for a few seconds and then swallows.

"So, how is it." Venti asks.

Smaug blinks a few times, before his pupils dilate. "This is food met for the gods!" He shouts and starts to tear into the turkey leg. "Oh my god! This is the best."

Venti laugh as Smaug finishes his turkey leg and goes to town on the mash potatoes.  After a minute Smaug finishes eating.

"Another!" Smaug shouts and smashes his plate on the floor.

Venti face palms. "Looks like I'll have to play for a little longer tonight."

.

.

.

Back in the Present

Everyone just got done eating and they're all in the living room. Dave went home to his wife Elma.

"I honestly thought you loved turkey from birth." Kobayashi states.

"Nope, I didn't know what turkey was until Venti showed me." Smaug says as he picks his teeth with a sharpened bone. He then flops back onto the ground.

"I still can't believe you trusted those humans so easily." Ilulu says from the Dragon room, she's feeding the kids.

"Eh, I didn't really have much strength and I was very hungry. What could I do?"

"More story?" Kanna asks.

Smaug yawns and shakes his head. "I think we should continue it tomorrow. I'm kinda tired."

"Didn't you sleep for twelve hours before lunch?" Torhu asks.

Smaug points at his old sister. "And I'm still tired!"

.

.

.

Back in the Past, several hours after Smaug discovers turkey.

Venti is showing Smaug around his village.

"This Village of Sylmrion is quite interesting." Smaug states as he looks around the large village.

"Yes, and our Capital of Elhe Belanore, is just as interesting." Venti smiles.

'Elvin names for human settlements, kinda strange.' Smaug says in thought.

Smaug watches as several merchant carriages move past them, Smaug sees some gold on the back and his eyes shine in want.

Venti glances at Smaug. "Do be careful, Smaug. Those carriages are protected by very strong adventurers."

"Hmph!" Smaug crosses his arms. "I can beat anyone up, for I am the strongest Dragon ever!"

"Still, don't cause trouble for me, people really like me here and I don't want to ruin that."

"Turkey."

"Huh?" Venti questions.

Smaug looks away from Venti. "Give me more turkey, and I will not cause trouble."

Venti nods. "Sure, I'm doing a performance at the Inn tonight, so I can get you some turkey them."

Smaug nods and gains a smile smile. "The Great and Awesome Smaug accepts this proposition."

"Great!" Venti smiles and giggles.

Smaug smiles and lets out a laugh.

.

.

.

Present

Smaug, covered in a cloak and in Cat-kin form, is looking up at the statue of himself in Aureum Regem.

"Kitty!" Paimon slams into the back of Smaug and hugs him.

Smaug reaches behind him and pulls Paimon off him. "Why are you here? Nya." He clears his throat.

Paimon pouts and crosses her arms. "Paimon hasn't seen you in nearly a month and that's the first thin you say to her?"

"...Yes."

Paimon crosses her arms and pouts harder. "If you must know, Haru told me you were coming, so he brought me along."

"Smaug!" Haru runs up to Smaug with a smile.

Half of Haru's right rabbit ear is missing, but now he has a prosthetic left arm. He has a large burn scar on his right cheek that goes down to his neck and continues below his clothes. His grey eyes shine.

In Haru's left hand is a Lyre

In Haru's left hand is a Lyre.

"How are you Haru?" Smaug asks.

"I'm great!" Haru smiles. "I'm finally getting back to adventuring!"

Smaug notices the lyre. "What's with the lyre?"

"Oh, after coming out of my coma, Setsuna and I had a talk. And I come to the conclusion that I can't spend my entire life wanting to be an adventurer. So I figured I'd try to learn an instrument. I don't know why, but the lyre stuck out to me."

Smaug hums. "That's interesting. Do you have any music ready?"

Haru shakes his head. "Not yet, I'm working on one though."

"Huh, well, let's go get some lunch."

"Yeah, Paimon's hungry!" She shouts.

Haru's stomach growls, causing Smaug to laugh and the rabbit to blush in embarrassment. "Yes, please."

"Okay, let's go." Smaug walks off and Haru follows, Paimon sits on top of Smaug's head.

.

.

.

Night time in the Past

Smaug is sitting at a table in the Inn, eating a couple turkey legs. Many people are gathered in the Inn, yet Smaug is too focused on eating. His tail happily wags as he smiles while eating.

Suddenly everyone cheers, which scares Smaug a little, and he looks up to see Venti walk onto a small stage in the corner of the in, holding his lyre.

"Good evening everyone!" Venti greets. "I hope you're ready for a night filled with great music!" Everyone cheers.

Venti sits on a stool and starts to play.

Smaug stares at Venti in awe as the Bard plays his music. Venti's lyre glows green and green glowing feathers start to float out from it and flow in the air.

The feathers fly around the Inn and they seemingly spread the sound of Venti's lyre. A couple feather's float around Smaug and he reaches out and touches one, and a warm and calm fleeing rushes over him and he gains a smile.

Venti continues to play with a smile on his face as everyone listens on. Smaug becomes enchanted by the music and causes him to forget about his food.

Venti's music echoes into the night.

.

.

.

Present

Smaug is sitting at the dinner table in Kobayashi's apartment. Dave sits across from him, as everyone else is in the livingroom.

"It was such a simple song, but it was the best music I have ever heard." Smaug states.

"So he used magic?" Kobayashi asks.

"Yeah, he used his magic to spread his music and calm people down. He wanted to bring peace and calmness with his music, so he learned magic that could help him."

"So he's the reason for your love of music?" Ilulu asks.

"I guess you could say that." Smaug eats a turkey leg whole.

Dave munches on a cookie. "He sounds so cool."

Smaug looks down at the tea in his cup. "...Yeah."

.

.

.

Back in the Past, several weeks later.

Venti is sitting on a dock, with a boat tied up beside him. He's plucking a few strings on his lyre. Suddenly a large shadow flies over him and a large object lands nearby on the shore.

Venti jumps up in caution and looks over to the shore and sees a large sand cloud with a large figure in it. The sand settles and shows Smaug in his dragon form.

Venti takes a couple steps back in caution, but Smaug glows red and changes into his human form. He's now wearing more human-like clothing.

"The human bard known as Venti; I am here!" Smaug shouts.

Venti blinks in shock a few times. "You weren't lying, you really are a dragon."

Smaug walks over with a raised brow. "I hardly ever lie."

"Now I know that." Venti sighs and climbs into the boat and holds his hand out to Smaug. "Come on, the fish won't catch themselves."

Smaug looks at Venti's hand for a few seconds, before slowly grabbing it. "I guess."

Venti helps Smaug into the boat and they both sit down. Venti then plays a few strings on his lyre and it glows green, and a wind guest blows the boat towards the middle of the lake.

The wind dies down and the boat stops in the middle of the lake and Venti hands Smaug a fishing pole. Smaug grabs it and looks at it.

"Um... How does one use this human device?" Smaug asks.

"Sometimes I forget you hardly know anything about humans." Venti say. "Just watch me."

Venti unhooks the hook from the bottom of the pole, then he throws the line forward and it lands in the water. A little wooden chip floats on the to of the water.

"Ooooh." Smaug copies Venti and throws is line in on the other side of the boat.

Several minutes pass by and Smaug's tail starts to tap on the wooden boat seat. "Ugh! How long do I have to wait?!"

"Fishing needs patience, Smaug." Venti states. "It can still be a while before we catch any fish." Just as he says that, the bobber starts to move. "Oh, I got something!"

Smaug looks over just as Venti pulls up a fish. He takes the hook out of its mouth and sets the fish in a bucket. Venti laughs, but stops as he notices Smaug glaring at him. "Smaug?"

"This means war human!" Smaug shouts. "I will now catch more fish than you!" He turns back to his bobber and glares heavily at it.

"Sooo.... Smaug."

"Yes?" Smaug responds as he keeps glaring at his bobber.

"Do you have any wishes?"

"Wishes?" Smaug glances at Venti. "What do you mean, wishes?"

"Well, I have a wish to one day be an adventurer. Though I'm too young right now, but I plan on being one once I reach 17. Then I can travel the world and play my music for everyone."

"Oh..." Smaug hums in thought. "Well, one day I want to become a dragon god and become the strongest. Then everyone will fear me!" Smaug laughs. "For the Great and Cool Smaug will be the strongest. Then no one will mess with me."

"That's a pretty big wish." Venti states.

Smaug stops laughing. "Yeah, I know, but I will become strong, so then I can kick Scatha's stupid butt!"

"Who's Scatha?"

"Some jerk who think he's better than me!" Smaug says in anger. "Just because he's 2,000 years older than me, he thinks he so much stronger and better."

"Is he stronger?"

"...I've never actually kicked his butt yet, but I will one day! Just you wait and see."

"Hopefully it won't take 2,00 years." Venit laughs. "I won't live that long?"

"Huh?" Smaug grows confused. "You won't?"

"Smaug, do you not know humans only live for about 70 years?"

"N-No. I didn't."

"Yeah, we humans are very fragile."

Smaug hums and then whispers. "No wonder you humans die so easily."

"What was that?" Venti asks.

"Nothing~"

Everything goes quite for a few minutes, before Smaug speaks again.

"I will find something to make you live a long time." Smaug claims.

"Huh?"

"I have grown fond of you human, so I want this fun to last a long time, so I will find something to make you live longer."

"That's a big wish too, Smaug." Venti pulls up another fish and tosses it into a bucket.

"Yeah, and who's gonna stop me!" Smaug shouts. "No one, cause no one challenges the Great and Super awesome Smaug!"

Venti laughs. "Well, I ain't gonna stop you."

"You better not."

Hours later

Stars shine in the night as a little pillar of smoke rises into the sky. On the shore of the lake is a dying fire with many fish bones and sticks around it. Nearby is Smaug and Venti laying in the sand, looking up to the stars.

"It's so peaceful." Venti states.

"Yeah, I didn't think it could be so peaceful." Smaug says.

Venti glances at Smaug. "Is it not peaceful where you're from?"

"Not really, I'm a dragon part of the Chaos Faction, so we're constantly at war with the Harmony Faction. I haven't really seen actual battles, other than fighting Chaos Faction dragons. The only time I have real peace is when my Father is away and I'm spending time with my sister Tohru."

"What about your mother?"

"I don't know." Smaug states. "Tohru won't say anything, and my dad says she died after laying my egg."

"You came from an egg?" Venti asks, and Smaug just gives him a 'Really' look. "Right, dragon."

Smaug looks up to the stars, before looking back to Venti. "What about you?"

"Well..." Venti hesitates. "Both my parents were adventurers, and they would go on quests together. But one day they just didn't come back home. So for the past few years I've been playing music to make money to pay for food and any house payments."

"Oh... Um... Sorry."

"It's fine."

The two look back up to the stars.

.

.

.

Present

"That was oddly wholesome of you." Koabayshi states.

"Yeah, Smaug you're usually a very dirty person." Dave states.

Smaug crosses his arms and pouts. "I can be a very wholesome person! I'm not always horny and hungry."

Ilulu walks out from the dragon room, fixing her top. "Yeah, Smaug took me on a nice date last year."

"See!"

"Lord Smaug took me on a nice trip through town a few months ago." Kanna informs.

Smaug smugly smiles. "See, I can be wholesome!"

Tohru deadpans. "Didn't you and Ilulu do it in the shower this morning?"

"Hah!" Smaug yells in shock. "I thought I casted the mute spell!"

"Not very well." Kobayashi mutters.

Smaug groans and slams his face into the dinner table.

"Back to the story!" Dave points at You.

.

.

.

Back in the past.

"A couple years pass and I spent most of my time with Venti." Smaug narrates. "We did nearly everything together for two years, and I grew very attached to him. Though there was a bigger threat coming over the horizon, that would soon change everything."

Smaug and a slightly older Venti are laughing as they run through Sylmrion. But a someone grabs the back of their clothes and stops them.

"You kids should be careful." A older voice says.

The two look up to see a fair skinned soldier in steel armor with Yellow Rose on the chest plate. It's an older man with long black hair with a few white hairs mixed in. A small scar run over the right corner of his mouth. He stands at 6 ft (1.8 m.)

"Yes, Sir Riktor." The two kids reply.

"Sir Riktor was the Captain of the village's guard." Smaug narrates. "I meet him a few weeks after the fishing event with Venti, he was a really nice guy. Helped all around the village and even showed me and Venti a few tricks with a sword."

Riktor looks past the two kids and sees a large group of soldiers walk by, they all have Yellow Roses painted on their chest plates.

"Soldiers?" Smaug questions.

"Why are they here, Sir Riktor?" Venti looks at the Captian.

Riktor sighs. "Tensions have been rising between our Kingdom of Elhe Belanore and the Kingdom of Yaana Serine."

"Yaana Serine?" Smaug questions.

"They're a... rival of the kingdom so to say." Venti informs.

"Yes." Riktor nods. "It's been peaceful for the last few decades, but it seems that conflict has been popping up on our borders with Yanna Serine?"

"Just out of nowhere?" Smaug asks.

Riktor sighs. "I don't know, but if tensions keep rising, a war can break out soon."

Venti grows worried. "That's not good."

Riktor puts a hand on the kids shoulders. "Hey, don't worry about it, you both are too young to stress about such things. I have a feeling everything will be fine. I promise." He gives the kids a warm smile.

Smaug and Venti give the Captain a smile. "Yes, sir."

Riktor smiles and pats their shoulder. "Okay, now run along. I've got to check on the new arrivals." He walks off. "Stay safe kids!"

"We will!" Smaug and Venti shouts.

"Come on, Smaug!" Venti runs off. "It's time for me to play at the inn."

Smaug's tail wags a little. "Yay!" He laughs

The two kids arrive at the Inn, see most of the tables filled with people, a large group of soldiers are eating and drinking in the bar. Smaug runs up to an empty seat near the stage as Venti walks onto the stage. People cheer as they see Venti, the soldiers stop eating and look over to the stage.

"Good afternoon everyone!" Venti waves as he sits down on a stool and everyone cheers. "I hope your ready to have a joyful time!"

Venti's lyre glows green and green glowing feathers start to float out from it and flow in the air.

Everyone starts to tap their feet on the wooden floor in unison. Smaug smiles and his tail taps on the ground.

Venti starts to sing. "There will come a soldier who carries a mighty sword.
He will tear your city down, oh lei-oh lai-oh lord.
Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh lord.
He will tear your city down, oh lei-oh lai-oh lord."

Venti giggles as people start to stomp the ground to the beat of the song. He gets up and starts to dance as he sings.

"There will come a poet whose weapon is his word.
He will slay you with His tongue, oh lei-oh lai-oh lord."

Everyone starts to sing along with Venti, even Smaug. "Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord.
He will slay you with His tongue, oh lei-oh lai-oh Lord."

Venti laughs as people start to dance along with his song. Smaug laughs and starts to clap. Venti's feather's dance through the air around everyone.

Venti continues to sing. "There will come a ruler whose brow is laid in thorn.
Smeared with oil like David's boy, oh lei-oh lai-oh Lord."

Everyone sings along again. "Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord.
Smeared with oil like David's boy, oh lei-oh lai-oh Lord.
Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord.
He will tear your city donw, oh lei-oh lai... oh."

Venti laughs again and motions to Smaug. "Come on Smaug!" He holds his hand out.

Smaug laughs and grabs Venti's hand. Venti pulls Smaug onto the stage. Venti and Smaug dance, as Venti plays his lyre.

Venti stops dancing. "Right now I wish I was sitting at the top of a tree, looking over a meadow, cider in hand..." He sighs. "Come on Smaug, let's go!"

The two friends continue to dance together, then they sing together. "Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh lai."

Smaug laughs as he and Venti spin each other around in circles. Venti then snags a cup from someone at the bottom of the stage.

Venti then holds up the cup. "Cheers to good wine!" He drinks it and sets the cup down. Then Smaug lifts him up with his tail. "Yahoo!" he laughs and Smaug sets him down.

The two friends come together and sing again. "Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh lai."

The two dance again, as well as everyone in the inn, including the soldiers at the back.

Then everyone sings together. "Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh lai~"

Venti plays a few final notes and the music dies down. Everyone starts to laugh, Venti and Smaug laugh together.

"I'm thinking of calling that one 'Soldier, Poet, King.'" Venti says to Smaug.

"I like that name." Smaug smiles.

.

.

.

Present

Smaug and Ilulu are sitting next to each other on the couch. Tohru, Kana and Kobayashi are at the dinner table. Kanna and Dave are sitting at the kotatsu.

"That was pretty nice part." Kobayashi says with a smile.

"Everyone was laughing and dancing the night away." Smaug smiles, before frowning. "It was such a good time, but that would change the next day. The happy days of dancing and singing were over. A war had started, and we we're going to be in the thick of it."

"A war?" Kanna asks.

Smaug nods. "A war between Kingdoms of Elhe Belanore and Yaana Serine."

"I think I remember that one." Tohru puts a finger on her chin. "That was a pretty bloody human conflict, you were apart of it?"

"Yeah. I won't lie, I had fun. But I hated it more than anything."

"A battle manic like you, hated to fight?" Dave asks.

"Hey, I'm not a battle manic!" Smaug growls at Dave.

"The past few years say otherwise." Tohru mutters.

"You wanna fight!" Smaug yells at Tohru.

"Smaug, Honey, no yelling please, you'll wake the kids." Ilulu says with an annoyed tone.

Smaug quiets down. "Yes dear."

"Wipped." Tohru mutters.

"Hey." Smaug growls. "I'm definitely the one that's in charge in the relationship."

"Babe." Ilulu starts. "Stand up." Smaug stands up. "Sit down." Smaug sits down. "Look over here." Smaug looks at her. "Hmm, interesting." Ilulu gains a smug smile.

"Anyways... Back to the story!"

.

.

.

Back in the Past, the next morning.

Smaug and Venti walk down the stairs of the Inn. Smaug yawns and stretches, his tail stretches out behind him. The two look around and notice that the Inn is empty, and Sheena is standing at a window, looking outside.

"Sheena?" Venti calls out, the rabbit girl ears twitch. "What's wrong?"

Sheena motions for them to come to her. "Come here and look."

The two friends look at each other and then walk over to Sheena. The two look outside to see a massive group of Elhe Belanorian soldiers marching down the street.

"What's going on?" Smaug questions.

"I...I don't know." Sheena says in worry.

Venti spots Captain Riktor pass by the in. "Captain!" He runs over towards the door.

"Venti!" Smaug runs after him.

Venti slams the Inn door open and runs after Captain Riktor. "Captain! Captain!"

Riktor stops and turns around. "Venti?" He sees Smaug a few steps behind. "Smaug?"

The two reach the Captain.

"What's going on Captain?" Venti asks in worry.

Riktor sighs. "Yaana Serine attacked one of the border villages about 50 kilometers away from here."

"Oh no." Venti grows worried. "How bad?"

"No survivors and the village was burned to the ground." Riktor rubs his eyes. "The king is reinforcing a few of the other villages, and a few groups are staying here. Then in a few days I'm going to another squadron and we're counter attacking.

"So that means..." Smaug starts.

"We're officially at war with Yaana Serine." Riktor says.

Venti puts a hand on his head. "No, but we've been at peace for so long! How can this happen" He grows scared.

Riktor kneels down to Venti and puts his hands on his shoulders. "Hey, Venti, everything will be okay. I promise."

"But..."

Riktor gives Venti a warm smile. "Venti, I promise. Remember we Elhe Belanorians are strong."

Venti takes a deep breath and calms down. "Yes, sir."

Riktor laughs and rubs Venti's head. "There we go."

Smaug then steps forward. "Let us come with you!"

"Huh?!" Riktor and Venti shout in shock.

"We promise to stay safe, we won't fight, just be in the camp keeping everyone's spirits up with our songs! And you can also give us some training too!"

"I-I-I can't do that! I'd get in trouble."

"He makes a good point, Captain." Venti says. "We promise not to cause trouble, we can boost moral and keep everyone happy!"

Riktor sighs and looks down. He stays quiet for a few seconds before looking back up at the two. "Fine, but you will do as I say, understand."

Venti and Smaug nod. "Yes!"

Riktor sighs to himself and whispers. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

The next day

Venti and Smaug are standing in front of Riktor, the three are in a military camp just outside of Sylmrion.

"Okay now let's start off with the easy stuff." Riktor throws a couple of wooden swords to the Dragon's and Bard's feet. "Pick them up." He holds another wooden sword.

Venti and Smaug look at each other, before picking up the swords. And they get into a stance.

Riktor chuckles at the two's horrible stances, and he swiftly charges forward and hits them both in the hands, making them drop the swords.

"Ow!" Venti shake his hand.

"You stupid human!" Smaug growls at Riktor.

"Now, let's try that again." Riktor smiles.

.

.

.

Present

"So you got your butt kicked by a human?" Dave asks.

Smaug crosses his arms and glares at Dave. "I was a child with no human weapon experience. I only ever used my fire!"

"Lord Smaug is getting defensive!" Kanna states.

A metaphorical arrow, pierces Smaug's heart. "Not you too."

"So what happened next?" Kobayashi asks.

"Well for the next two days, Riktor gave us sword training for 12 hours straight. It was hell, and I've only met the ruler of hell, never really been there. But I'd expect it'd be similar to that training. So after the two days, the company of soldiers we were with, moved out towards the borders."

.

.

.

Back in the past.

The military company is on horseback, moving away from Sylmrion. Smaug and Venti are riding in the back, both on different horses. Venti's grey eyes look back at his home in sadness.

"Venti?" Smaug calls out in worry. "Something wrong?"

"It's just..." Venti starts. "I've never been too far away from home before, the farthest is the Capital, but we're going past our borders and into enemy territory. I'll be so far away from home in hostile territory, so it's a little scary."

Smaug moves his horse closer to Venti's and he puts his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Don't worry, you have me with you! The Great and... uhh... Handsome, Smaug."

Venti laughs. "You're right, what can go wrong?"

Smaug laughs.

Several Months Later

Smaug and Venti both look really tired as the company keeps moving through a plain, with several large hills around.

Riktor, who's leading the company, stops. "Let's make camp here! We'll keep moving towards Port Nytvabel tomorrow. It's on the other side of this hill, so be one extra look out tonight!"

Smaug and Venti both cheer and fall of their horses.

Several hours later.

Smaug is sitting in front of a camp fire, Venti is sitting under a tree off to the side, playing his Lyre. Smaug is holding a large stick over the fire that has an entire turkey on the end of it.

Smaug's tail softly sways behind him as he hums along with Venti's music. He takes the turkey out of the fire and grabs the cooked turkey off the stick. He then tosses the stick to the side and starts to chomp into the cooked meat.

"So gooooood~" Smaug wiggles in happiness.

Footsteps approach Smaug from behind, before stopping next to Smaug. "Mind if I sit?" Smaug looks up to see Captain Riktor.

Smaug swallows what's in his mouth. "Sure."

Riktor smiles and sits on a log beside Smaug, then he puts his hands in front of the fire to warm up. "You kids are real brave for wanting to come."

"Well... I didn't want my second favorite human to get killed."

Riktor laughs. "You are a strange dragon-kin."

Smaug frowns at Riktor. "I'm a dragon, not some puny dragon-kin."

Riktor laughs again. "Heeeeh, kids these days." He rubs his hands together and puts them back in front of the fire. "But I meant what I said, you and Venti are real brave for this. I shouldn't have let you both come, but you two remind me of when I was your age."

"Really?" Smaug tilts his head and his tail mimics a question mark.

Riktor nods. "Yup, I joined the military at the age of 15, though I lied my way in. But I worked real hard and stood out above everyone else, so when they found out my real age, I was just too good of a soldier to let go. So I rose through the ranks and became the Commander of the Kings army by the age of 20. I was a good soldier for such a long time, have many titles to my name, and gained knight-hood.

I've seen many battles, so as I got older, I started to grow a distaste for battle. So I settled down in the quiet village of Sylmrion, and became the Captain of the guard. It was very peaceful, but now another war has started and my King calls for my help, so I had to answer it."

Riktor sighs and crosses his arms over his knees as he looks into the fire. "I... I don't want you two to get hurt cause of me, so neither of you will participate in this next fight, no matter what. I just want you two to stay safe, but I guess taking two teenagers to war isn't the best."

Riktor looks up at Venti. "He becomes 17 in a few months, so he'll be able to become an adventurer, following in his parents footsteps. That worries me, I'm fond of him. Everyone in Sylmrion is." He looks at Smaug. "Everyone is fond of you too, Smaug."

"Fond... of me?" Smaug points at himself.

Riktor laughs. "Why of course, you and Venti liven up the town and bring up the spirits of everyone. So promise me this, Smaug. You and Venti will make it back to Sylmrion in one piece, and cheer everyone back up after this war."

Smaug nods with a look of determination. "Yes, sir!"

Riktor grows a big smile. "You're a kid."

"Though, why are you saying all this now, sir?"

"Well, tomorrow we'll be near Port Nytvabel tomorrow. This is a major battle, if we can take this port we'll be able to move troops into Yaana Serine and we'll move onto the Capital faster."

"So... we've been attacking villages for the past few months, what makes this port any different?" Smaug asks in confusion.

"This port is a very defendable point. I..." Riktor sighs. "This will be a bloody battle, but if we can take it, we'll have a large chance to win the war. We already have boats on the way, so we have to take this port before they arrive."

"So let us come with you, we can use magic and fight, you've trained us."

"No." Riktor says in a stern voice. "I... I can't let you, it's way to dangerous."

"But..."

"Smaug, I'd feel much better if I didn't have to worry about both of yours safety."

Smaug sighs in defeat. "Fine, me and Venti will stay in camp."

Riktor smiles. "Thank you, I'll keep a small group of soldiers here to keep you company." He runs Smaug's head. "Now, why don't you and Venti go get some rest."

Smaug nods and gets up and walks over to Venti. The two talk for a few seconds before they head off further into the tent.

Riktor rubs a hand over his face. "Oh goddess, grant me strength to fight tomorrow." He gets up with a grunt and walks into the camp.

Night swiftly passes and the sun rises up into the sky. Soldiers gather up at the entrance of camp as they all get on their horses. Riktor puts on a steel helmet with a rose on the front of it.

Riktor looks off to the side and sees Smaug and Venti look at him. Riktor nods to them and they nod back. He climbs onto his horse and turns back to his men.

"Move out!" Riktor shouts and leads his men out.

Smaug and Venti watch as Riktor and his men travel up the hill and disappear out of sight. Then the two head into camp and sit down at a table near a group of five soldiers, all with worried looks.

Riktor and his men travel in two large lines towards the large port city of Nytvabel in the distance. Riktor's kingdom flag flaps in the wind as several soldiers carry banners.

Riktor sighs and he points forward with a yell and everyone body charges towards the port

Riktor sighs and he points forward with a yell and everyone body charges towards the port.

At the port a soldier, with a green tree on his chest plate, looks out towards the approaching army.

At the port a soldier, with a green tree on his chest plate, looks out towards the approaching army

A man wearing golden armor walks up behind him and glares out to the army.

The thumps of hooves echo in their ears as the army swiftly travels towards them. More soldiers appear on the wall.

Riktor stares out at the port with a determined look.

Back in camp both Smaug and Venti sit anxiously. Smaug's tail taps on the ground, before he sighs.

"Venti, why not sing us a song?" Smaug asks. "Maybe it'll make us feel better."

Venti nods and lets out a sigh and starts to sing with out playing his lyre.

"Home is behind the world ahead."

The thuds of Riktor's army and the neighs of the horses echo to the port city. More soldiers appear on the walls with bows in hand.

"And there are many paths to tread."

Riktor takes out his sword with a determined look.

"Through shadow to the edge of night."

Riktor points his sword forward and yells.

"Until the stars are all alight."

All the soldiers in the port city aim their bows up and ready their arrows.

"Mist and shadow."

Riktor pulls ahead of everyone and leads the charge as they near the city, everyone starts to yell.

"Cloud and shade."

The port city soldiers aim their arrows at the approaching army and pull back their strings.

"All shall fade."

Rkitor glares at the port as his army nears it.

"All shall fade."

The soldier wearing golden armor yells and all the soldiers release their arrows.

Back in the camp Smaug looks down at his hands, and he curls them into fists.

Several Hours later.

Smaug and Venti just stare down at the ground in worry.

"Hey!" A soldier yells as he looks up at the hill. "I see something!"

Venti and Smaug look up at the hill and they see several of Riktor's men ride over the hill.

"They're back!" Smaug smiles.

"Let's go!" Venti yells.

Smaug and Venti run over to the approaching soldiers, with the other soldiers behind the two. They approach but Smaug's smile soon disappears as he notices only a small handful of the soldiers came back.

"What's the news!" A soldier behind Smaug yells.

"We've taken the Port and the boats have arrived and our army is now occupying the city." One of the arriving soldier informs.

"Wheres everyone else from the company?" Another solider behind Smaug asks.

"...We're all that's left."

Everyone goes quite in sadness.

"Wh-Where's Riktor?" Venti asks.

A soldier rides up to him and climbs off his horse. He walks over to Venti with a sad looks and pulls out a bloody steel helmet with a rose on the front of it. "I'm sorry, he didn't make it."

Venti grabs the helmet as a couple tears fall down his face. "He's... he's dead?"

The solider nods with a sad look before walking off.

"W-What?" Smaug asks in confusion as a tear falls down his face. "But... but he was so strong."

Venti falls to his knees as he holds the bloody helmet in his hands. Smaug just looks off into the distance, and his hands curl into fists.

.

.

.

Present

Smaug sits on the cough as he holds a partially rusted steel helmet, with a rose on the front, in his hands.

"He died in that battle?" Kobayashi asks.

"Yeah..." Smaug says in a sad tone. "He was one of the strongest and bravest humans I've ever met. I-I could hardly believe someone like him would fall so easily." He rubs a thumb over the rose that has a little dried blood on it.

Ilulu gives Smaug a hug. "I'm sorry."

Kanna gives Smaug a hug as well.

Smaug takes a breath. "The war would end in a few weeks with a final battle at the capital. What I should have realized at the time, was that someone was pulling strings and it started this war. But that's for another story, so let's continue the current one."

.

.

.

Back in the past, a day after the battle for Port Nytvabel.

Smaug and Venti stand outside Port Nytvabel, they watch as ships pull into the harbor and unload soldiers and supplies.

"What... What do we do now?" Smaug asks, his tail lays limp behind him.

"What do you mean?" Venti asks as he rubs his eyes.

"Our... Our friend is dead. We... What do we do now?"

Venti looks out to the ships, then down at the lyre and helmet in his hands "We... We finish his fight."

"What?" Smaug looks at him in confusion.

"We finish his fight, we help attack the Capital and win this war... For him."

"We can't. Riktor said..."

"Riktor isn't here!" Venti snaps at Smaug, causing him to back up. "...I'm sorry for yelling."

Smaug just looks away. "It's okay. But you know this would be very dangerous."

"But our help can win the war, Smaug. You have your fire magic and I have my wind magic. We can help!"

Smaug looks hesitant. "But we can also be killed."

"Not if we're careful, we've always been careful." Venti grabs Smaug's hand and stares into his Amber eyes. "Trust me."

Smaug stares into Venti's grey eyes. "Okay. But promise me you'll make it through this fight."

Venti nods. "I promise."

Several Weeks later.

Smaug and Venti stand at the front of a massive army, staring out to the kingdom of Yaana Serine.

"One last battle." Smaug states.

Venti nods. "One last battle."

"FIRE!" Someone yells.

Many flaming arrows, fire balls and rock fly over head and into the kingdom of Yaana Serine.

"CHARGE!" Venti shouts and everyone begins charging towards the walls of the now burning kingdom.

Enemy soldiers rush out of the kingdom and towards Smaug and Venti's army.

"It was a bloody battle." Smaug narrates.

Smaug ducks under a sword and breathes fire onto the soldier that attacked him.

"Many lives were lost."

Smaug leans back as a sword cuts him under is right eye. Then then throws his hands forward and flames spew from them.

"The battle lasted a long time."

"Keep moving!" Venti's voice reaches Smaug's ears.

Smaug looks up to see Venti, with lyre in hand, pointing to the burning kingdom.

Smaug looks up to see Venti, with lyre in hand, pointing to the burning kingdom

"Don't stop!" Venti shouts.

"But in the end, we won."

After several long and grueling hours the castle's largest tower explodes and the battle slowly quiets down.

Smaug, blood running down his face from the wound under his eye, and a few blood splatters on his chest, exits the crumbled walls of the castle.

Bodies of both armies lay about, and blood covers the ground.

"But at what cost?"

"Venti?" Smaug shouts. "Venti?"

Smaug walks through the bloody quite battlefield, soldiers of Smaug's army walk about, lost in shock.

"Venti?" Smaug shouts in worry as his heart starts to race. "Venti?!" He looks around in worry. "Venti, where are you?!"

Smaug heart races and he continues to look around, until it goes still and his blood runs cold as he spots something.

A lyre, with a broken right arm, rests on the ground and a couple feet away is Venti, with a couple arrows in his chest.

"Venti?" Smaug runs over towards his friend. "VENTI!" Smaug slides down to Venti and grabs onto him. "Venti!" Smaug shakes him. "Venti wake up!"

Venti remains motionless as blood falls from his mouth and soaks his clothing.

"Venti!" Smaug starts to tear up. "Venti please." He shakes him again. "Please wake up." Tears start to fall down Smaug's face. "Please." He holds Venti close as tears stream down his face. "VENTI PLEASE! YOU PROMISED ME!" Smaug cries into Venti's chest, before looking up to the sky. "VENTIIIIII!"

.

.

.

Present

A few tears fall onto a broken lyre. Smaug holds the lyre tightly as he rubs his eyes.

"He... He died on that battlefield." Smaug chokes out. "The first friend I ever made, died before I could say goodbye. Died before he could see the end of this bloody war. Died before he could make his wish happen." He looks up at the ceiling. "I failed him as a friend."

Kobayashi puts a hand on top of Smaug's, after wiping a few tears away. "You didn't fail him Smaug, from what you say, you made him very happy for the two years you knew him."

Smaug smiles as he looks at Kobayashi. "Thank you." He quickly hugs her.

Kobayashi smiles and hugs Smaug back. Everyone walks over and hugs Smaug.

After a few seconds Smaug pulls back and wipes his tears. "oh, that was a story to tell. I think it'll be a while before I tell you the next one."

"That's fine." Kobayashi states. "I'm just glad your comfortable to tell me anything."

Smaug yawns and puts Riktor's helmet and Venti's lyre back into his bag of holding. "I think it's nap time."

"Didn't you sleep twelve hours before lunch?" Dave asks.

"And I'm still fucking tired!" Smaug shouts.

Suddenly the cries of two babies ring out in the apartment.

"Good job, Smaug!" Ilulu frowns. "You woke up the kids!"

Smaug groans and flops onto the floor.

.

.

.

Back in the past.

Smaug lifelessly walks into Sylmrion, carrying Venti's body. People walking about notice Smaug and gasp. More people walk out of there homes and watch Smaug walk towards the center of town, his tail limply dragging on the ground.

After several minutes Smaug reaches the center of town and lays Venti's body down and kneels beside it. Everyone in town gathers around with sorrowful looks.

Rain starts to drip down from the sky, before it comes down heavy. People ignore the rain as they mourn over a friend of the village.

Several Weeks pass and Smaug stands in front of a stone statue. The statue is of Venti with a happy smile on his face as he holds his Lyre. Smaug looks down at the writing in stone.

"Here's Lies Venti the Bard. A friend and Hero of the village. He will be remembered by all."

Smaug puts a hand on the statue, before walking away and out of the village. Leaving the village and it's lonely mountain behind.

Then we see a time-laps of the village of Sylmrion slowly growing bigger, before being abandoned. Then nature slowly takes back what was hers, destroying the buildings and slowly eating away at the stone statue in the middle.

Nature eventually erases any evidence of the village as it grows its trees back. Many many many years pass before a new group of people come and start chopping trees down and building a new village.

The village grows big, until it suddenly starts to grow smaller and smaller, until there's hardly anything left. But then a smoke pillar is seen at the lonely mountain, which disappears after a few days.

Then the village slowly grows bigger and bigger, until one day we see a statue of Smaug and a figure wearing a brown cloak with cat cars standing in front of it.

Smaug looks up at his statue and after a few seconds he puts a hand on the stone.

"Smaug." Haru runs up to Smaug.

Smaug turns to him as his cat ears flicker.' "Haru, how are you?"

Haru's grey eyes shine in excitement. "I think I finally got my first song!" He jumps up and down in excitement as he holds his lyre.

"Oh, what is it?"

Haru calms down. "Okay, it took me a while to come up with the lyrics, but I finally have it finished and I have a title for it. I'll call it 'Soldier, Poet, King.' How does that sound."

Smaug gains a soft smile. "It sounds lovely. Can you play if for me?"

Haru nods and his rabbit ears twitch. "Of course, let's go to the Inn, and I'll play it for everyone!"

"Sure, led the way."

Haru laughs as he runs towards the Inn, with Smaug following behind.

'I'm glad you got your wish my friend.'

We then see a view of the whole town of Aureum Regem.

The Dragon and The Bard

"Most everyone sees me as the villain, but they also forget. Every villain has a reason for the way they are. And these are the stories of how I became the villain everyone thinks I am."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-04-2023

10619 words

0