Side Chapter 5.1: Summoning
379 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A taboo of the world, to forcefully summon a being from another world, though still utilized by people.

Authors note: <<Brackets>> are implied to be universal/world announcements. “Quotes” are character speech. “Italicized text” are thoughts. <single bracket> are displayed to characters.

Edited by: Dragodonv2 on discord

Within the realm of the gods, the god of Creation, Lord Izotl, stood in a room of vast space, stars floating above them. The god in question has no set form of being, but can choose to take one. In private they often choose to take a Male form. A man with long black hair flowing down to his knees, eyes that appear to sparkle like the stars above him. The rest of his form was constantly changing with no set shape other than a figure that appeared to be male in form.

Izotl leaned onto the edge of a pool sighing softly as he stared down at the perfectly glass like liquid  below him, reflections of events of the world he managed reflected as if in a mirror. Often the pool is quiet, the serene silence allows him to admire the stars peacefully while there is nothing to draw his attention. He values the quiet more than he values having to take action. 

Within the pool images and scenes of the world he manages shifts rapidly, allowing him to examine the problem events in question. A kingdom of humanity in his world had uncovered the secrets to summoning heroes once more, though those ‘heroes’ were more often than not just normal people of another world forcefully called into his own through great sacrifice. Those people would sometimes be stronger than the average citizen of his world, with growth buffs often ensuring a faster pace of development.

Izotl: “Again? It's been nearly a thousand years… though the kingdom in question wants to wage wars with its neighbors. Ah, that whole royal line is rotten, and using curse magic to enslave the people summoned huh? Muu… I think there is going to have to be an issue with the summoning. I can’t stop the summoning, but I can have the gods interfere with the summoning location. Well I guess I should inform them to prepare for the souls to be summoned.”

He left the pool of the world and walked towards the void of his space towards the shared space of the other gods that were under him, ready to give them instructions to receive their future guests. Though in all of his preparations to the previous matter, the god Izotl missed an important piece of information, the machinations of the prince of the elves, the virgin princess, and her impossible daughter.


The white haze that was blocking out his vision rapidly faded away, in its place a calm scene of a library, books upon books around him. Hundreds of thousands of books on shelves neatly organized. Some of the books floated above his head, organizing themselves onto the various shelves. A man is sitting at a desk towards the end of a large hall. He appeared to be a rather tall and pudgy human male with pale skin and long hair. An older, elderly, gentleman with old fashioned bottle glass glasses sitting on an elongated nose that stuck out with a pointed look. His long white hair that was neatly tied up in a horse tail to the side of his head under a red hat. He wore a long blue robe that covered most of his body, he appeared to be reading a book without noticing the new person's presence.

I stood there, dumbfounded... Half crouching out of the chair which had disappeared along the journey, leaving him squatting awkwardly on the fine and rich carpet for a moment before turning my head staring into a mirror which was laid across a shelf. I stared like a deer in headlights for a moment before slowly straightening. I don’t have the best form... tall, about 6 foot 3, though with a protruding beer belly that was more the result of sweets and lack of exercise than any  alcohol that I have drank in my life. My shoulder length dirty blonde hair fell in thin, greasy curtains on either side of my face to my shoulders, equally as disheveled as my patchy and scraggly beard. I looked around with grayish blue eyes wearily around the shelves. I stared at the strangely floating books, and raptured by their movement as I stepped forward curiously to see if I could observe the trick, the wires, or whatever current of air was keeping them aloft. My gaze turned sharp and curious, scanning with an Intense interest, resulting in my distraction from the rest of the room. I didn't even notice the elderly man behind the desk for the moment.

The Elderly man turned a page before looking up, he noticed the sound of movement before closing the book with a heavy 'thud'. "Ah...You have finally arrived, a bit early.. Though I guess that is okay for me. It makes my work easier. Come sit down young man, we have things to discuss." A chair appears in front of the large wood desk, the man shifts the book off his desk before it begins to float off towards a shelf. The man opens his desk seemingly looking for something.

The sound of the closing book brought me out of his reverie with a start, my head whipping around wildly for the source of the noise.

After a cautious minute, I did as I was told and approached the desk, taking the nearest seat to the old man that I could and folding my hands politely into my lap.

I spoke calmly in a conversational tone, but with the slightest quiver of confusion. 

Man: "Uhhh... Hi.  My name is Willam Rodgers, uuhh… Will... And... I was... Expected?"  I asked tentatively. 

The elderly man tilts his head some as he pulls out a small stack of paper and sets it down in front of him on the desk. The man then pulls out a bottle of black ink and a feather quill setting them down. The man chuckles a bit, rubbing his palms into the paper.

Elderly Man: "Well, Not you per-say, I was told to expect someone to appear before me. My boss is a man of strictness when it comes to many things."

 

The older man makes a small smile before dipping his feather quill into the ink and writing onto one of the pages in front of him.

Elderly Man: "Honestly, it is very exciting, I have not been able to write a story in a long time."

I am confused, but I actively perk up at the mention of a story.

Will: "Story?  Like writing?  Well... I am something of a writer myself, but I uhhh..." 

 I try with all my might not to say the words 'erotic fetish-fueled fanfiction' aloud.

Will: "I guess I would have to know what kind of story you are writing... And I would certainly be glad to help you out, since I have done some editing for my friends before.  I guess if I may, I would just wonder why I was singled out?  I am grateful of course, I just... Don't know why?  I didn't think I was THAT good!"

I chuckled politely even as I struggled to hold back the frank confession that although people had told me online and in person just how good some of my writing was...  That part of me still couldn't see myself as anything but an amateur, not worth notoriety despite my desperate desires to be famous for my creative work. 

The elderly man taps the stacks of papers in front of him with his quill, ink begins to slide along the sheets rapidly filling them out in mere moments. The man looks up from the paper and makes a small smile towards me. 

Elderly Man: "Your story of course young man, you are a writer too? Ah, sorry I could look at your story thus far, but that would be boring. I could write your story from beginning to end, well to be honest I'm more of a record keeper." 

 

The man pulls out a leather strap, dull and brown no longer than 5 inches in length before dropping it on top of the papers. The strap wraps around the papers and a book with no title takes the papers place.

Elderly Man: "My name is Huzotz, I am known in the world of mortals as the god of Wisdom and some other things. I hate to say this you young man, the world you came from no longer has a place for you. Sadly this is due to the work of people in the world I manage, so I  do apologize on behalf of all the gods I work with."

The man interlocks his fingers together, placing the back of his palms against the underside of his chin staring down into the young man's eyes.

Huzotz: "I figured I should be blunt as a fellow writer. Your story is shifting greatly, with a new set of chapters to proceed henceforth." 

My mind reeled, there was no question that this was a dream, dreams to me had always felt murky, malformed, impossible even as my dream state tried to convince me otherwise. Everything was too sharp and clear, and the world too solid and responsive with information and stimuli that I had never felt before and new places and people that I had never seen. I took a moment to compose myself.

What he said about my previous world having no more place for me struck a chord, even as he explained that this was the work of other people. I knew in my heart that it was partially true on my end as well. A dead end job with no career prospects and very little hope for a future that I had blown up as a grandiose fantasy. Unachievable with a mind racked by anxiety, uncertainty, and the negativity building in the world.

I looked back up at the man with renewed vigor, a fiery intensity building behind my eyes as I stared at him with determination.

Will: "I am ready to accept my fate. What do you need me to do?" I inquired, trying to shake off the anxiety attempting as it always did to claw down my facade of confidence, taking any real confidence I had possessed behind it with it.

Huztoz laughed, leaning back into his chair, his palms breaking their form and slapping his thigh. A hearty chuckle, showing that the elderly god had quite the energy despite his age, full of life.

Huzotz: "Ah! That is such a good attitude to have! Don't worry all that much, to be honest my boss is somewhat of a stickler when it comes to making sure things are balanced and in shape. The original summoners wanted to summon a hero and make them into a weapon, however the big guy doesn't like that. So he asked for a few things to go awry."

The man leans forward and winks towards the young man before smiling once more.

Huzotz: "So, in plain words, the big boss just wants you to live your own life instead of one enslaved by a greedy and underhanded aristocracy. Those around you might treat you as a hero due to your future abilities. Though, he would like me to stress that you have no obligation to be a hero. You're fine to even hide your abilities and just  be a normal man if you would like, though that may be difficult with the gifts of being from another world...

Huztoz pulled out  a single sheet of paper and put it on top of the book he created.

Huzotz:  "Let us start with some minor things, first place your palm on this sheet of paper, it will display your <Status> in a readable form. The normal means of the world I manage don't tend to work here." 

I hesitated a little, but more out of confusion than fear. I placed my hand on the paper.

Will: "Alright... So asking for total mastery over mind, matter, and magic would be a hair too much?"  I flashed an attempt at a winning, good natured smile, but with no real hope of success.

Huzotz's smile didn't break, though his hand moved up and did a small chop to the young man's head. It wasn't painful, merely a playful rebuke more than anything.

Huzotz: "Only in your dreams, did I not just mention that my boss cares about balance?"

The paper began to form words covering the sheet with various words that could not be read by the young man. Huzotz picked up the sheet and began to read it, his free palm rubbing into his chin.

Huzotz: "Mumu... I see, Only 18 huh? Quite young.. Well, either way it's nothing that impressive. You don't have the amplitude for all magic, but you even an expert class kind of magic arts. At least you have something to look forward to."

 

Huzotz looks away from the sheet before smiling gently towards the young man.

 

Huzotz: "You can ask for a few things, though it has to be within reason, think of it as compensation for robbing you of your life in your old world."

 

I wasn't going to correct him in saying that my old life wasn't much to take from me, but I only winced dramatically at the light karate chop.

 

Will: "Alright... fiiine, no omnipotence.  Just one more thing I want to try, then I'll be more sensible."

 

I couldn't help but feel giddy for the prospects unfolding before me.  An image of my favorite hero of all time flashed in a blue blur in my mind's eye.

 

Will: "How about super speed, combined with the reflexes, balance, physique, and durability to make it viable to exceed the sound barrier with ease and minimal consequence?"

 

Though I tried my hardest to keep a straight face, I was suddenly self-conscious. The old man might sense just how much I had thought about this.

Huzotz leaned back into his chair, sighing softly staring down towards him shaking his head. 

 

Huzotz: "People in our world can move at incredible speeds through training and work. I can give it to you, but it's a bit of a waste. I would suggest being a bit more creative."

I leaned back too and waved my hand dismissively, though secretly I was thrilled at the prospect.

Will: "Well... I've got to get that kind of training going ASAP!  Although..."

I looked down at my body.  A soft and doughy thing with pale skin and atrophied muscles more suited to sitting around and playing video games than high stakes adventure.

I turned back up to Huzotz with a sigh.

Will: "Then I need to fix some of the problems I've created for myself from my wasted past life... Just to get on par with the ideal of a hero... Because I might just like to become one you know?  Can I get a package of improvements as an all in one deal?  Or is each one going to cost me as it were?"  I questioned.

Will: "I'm talking about getting fit, balancing my brain chemicals... I don't know how much you know about ADHD... and I guess most of all being free from the fear and anxiety that caused me to waste my entire life..."  I clarified 

Huzotz tilted his head some before rubbing his chin thinking some. He looked up into the air seemingly thinking. 

Huzotz: "Well, that is rather simple to do, so do you want a new body? Or just improvements? That can be a freebie as it were, using your world's phrasing."

 

Huzotz began to look through his desk pulling out a large binder, strangely he could read the title <Skills>. Huzotz began to flip through it almost lazily. Though he was seemingly paying attention to the pages as he turned through it.

I wondered for a moment... Unable to decide.

Will: "I guess... Improvement?  I don't like to think of myself as vain, but I have grown to like my face, and enough people like it where I am comfortable. I think just trimming the fat there for instance would do wonders for my image..."

I considered more.

Will: "And of course I've got to be fit for adventure... And uhh... Well I mean when you're fit, you tend to be more attractive right?"  I posited.

I tried to resist... But the opportunity to 'enhance' the male body presented a... 'unique' opportunity.

Will: "And I mean... I've never been ashamed of my dick size... Far from it... I've just always fantasized about a little... More... You know?"

At that point my confidence faltered.

Will: "S-sorry... I've... I've been thinking about such things too much... We don't have to go into that..."

I shifted topics clumsily "Brain chemicals, that's probably the most important thing, as there may or may not be ADHD medicine in this world, and I rather need that to operate. Not having to take it would be nice.  But I'll still be me, you know?"

Huzotz began to laugh listening to the young man panic. It made him happy to hear the young man already be so bold, he slapped his thighs holding his chest with his other arm before rapidly recovering and sitting up straight once more. Acting as though nothing had just occurred he focused on the man once more.

Huzotz: "Well, that made me laugh for the first time in a few thousand years. So, correction of the body's defects to be functional without the need for external stimulus? That goes along with improving your body to "peak" form, of course you will still need to build up your muscles, but I have a skill in mind. It's called <Healthy Body> It's a simple skill in which your body retains its "peak normal" form. So you won't gain fat and alike, though it does come with some down sides. Its harder to get drunk, and you can't pretend to be sick ever.”

Huzotz leans back and shows a soft smirk on his face.

Huzotz: "Of course...Your male reproductive organs can be adjusted. You mortals and your desires for reproduction are amusing, that is not to say we gods can't or don't do it. It is extremely rare for us to have a desire to. Most of the time it is exactly as it is, a way to kill time. Though some of us do have a desire for children."

The god looks up into the ceiling thinking a bit. 

Huzotz: "That being said... I don't mind giving you a boost in looks, so that women find you attractive and desirable, but it will also be based on your work. We don't like forcing that kind of thing." 

It felt as though he had read my mind where I was going next, but I managed to compose myself from his amused laughter.

Will: "Y-yes... Heh... Thank you for being so... Understanding...  ahem"

I cleared my throat.

Will: "I was actually going to suggest something like lack of muscle atrophy and/or fat accumulation next, though I was not sure if this would come with an additional power. What you suggested sounds reasonable, and frankly, I don't drink, And it sounds like it comes with an immunity to weak poison even, since alcohol could technically be considered a poisonous solution."  I mused aloud, my hand stroking my scraggly beard.

After a moment of thinking, I threw my arms wide in a gesture of acceptance.  

Will: "So... Basically any head start I can get on training is a bonus at this point, I accept your terms, I would never desire to force anything like that either."

'Women being attracted to me might be a nice change of pace though.' I thought, then immediately checked myself, surreptitiously glancing up to Huzotz to see if he had reacted. I did not know whether or not this god could read minds.

Huzotz tilted his head a bit and shrugged, rolling his shoulders around before thinking about it. He looked down towards his binder and began to roll the pages around. Seemingly lost in thought. 

Huzotz: "Hmm. I can give you a blessing that helps with your growth, that is the strongest thing I can give you. So I guess I should give you a minor explanation. If you're going to adventure, then becoming an adventurer is your best bet, but it's a risky thing to do, it requires battling monsters and defending people from those who would do them harm. If you wish to go this route, my blessing can help you overcome barriers. As far as that, I can offer you a blessing of the sage, It's a skill that helps provide you with answers to your questions. It just has a cost of pain if you ask a question that has an extreme answer....Headaches they are called?"

Huzotz looked up towards The boy in front of him, curious to see his response.

I considered the offers, the warnings, and his terms, then held up a hand.

 

Will: "One thing at a time.  I think that peak human levels of fitness lends itself to more stamina naturally, so I'll stick with that, maybe if I have no other good ideas for a blessing in that regard."

I considered the warning of the dangers ahead.

Will: "I would say that if I can be SURE that my actions will be right and just, I can move forward and conduct myself as a hero without issue."

I steepled my fingers and pointed them at the god.  "To that end... what if instead of people or magic or whatever answering my questions... can you bless me with the ability to intuit things myself?"  I asked.

I had always admired characters with logic and a cool head to back their adventurous spirits, to achieve their goals, or to protect the innocent.  Sherlock Holmes, Spock, Grand Admiral Thrawn, all of them possessing a keen eye for detail that revealed the world to them with perfect clarity. 

Huzotz Laughed softly, shaking his head. 

Huzotz: "I see, <Hero Instinct> Is it? though it does have a little backlash that prevents you from doing bad things, basically it will wrack you with guilt if you do something that goes to far from being a hero"

My face outwardly cringed a little in displeasure.

Will: "Of course, nothing like that... It would help me concentrate, solve mysteries that can be solved, help me determine people's intentions, and for me to more easily integrate myself into a society by absorbing their mannerisms and cultural memes.  Believe me sir... The guilt would happen if I allowed myself to fall to evil, magical effect or no... Speaking of magic..."  I sat back up again.

 

Will: "I presume this world will have magic then?"

Huzotz tilts his head a bit before slapping his fist down into his open palm. 

Huzotz: "Ah, right, Yes it does have magic, as well as monsters, dragons and even demigods, though meeting a demigod or a dragon is extremely rare." 

 

Huzotz shifts his palms back towards the binder, skipping through a dozen pages till he stops and points through the listings. 

Huzotz: "Hmm. Strict strict strict choices, most of the other gods would have just thrown stuff at you and wished you luck you know?... How about <Insight> It's a skill that lets you pick up on things quickly, giving you an instinct that what you're doing is the right choice for the outcome you desire. It's a bit rough and vague, but it's the closest thing that you're asking for, it's a very low tier skill...I would feel bad just giving you this. Ah! Since you are so happy to reproduce, would you be okay with <Hyper Reproduction>? It is a monster skill though, it's meant to allow you to go beyond species and reproduce as you see fit with females of basically any race with a 100 percent chance. Course, I would be careful with doing it with anyone who you don't want children with."

Conversation was going well, right up until the last moment.

Will: I spluttered a bit.  "Fjdhhs…! Well, I didn't... I mean... I really... I just..."

I took a moment to compose myself.

Will: "I'll address the insight thing in a moment... But uhh... I really didn't... Want children..." I finished lamely.

 

Huzotz tilts his head and leans into the desk squinting his eyes. 

Huzotz: "I won't allow it, You have no idea how crazy the goddess of birth is when it comes to heroes not making children, she is liable to send a hoard of beauties towards you if you refuse to at least make 5 children. Please? For me? At least 10!"

Shock and horror filled my visage and soul... Imagining the screaming, drooling, messy babies in my future if I gave even a little ground... Not to mention the responsibility of molding and setting an example for such young minds without screwing it up just speared my chest with paralyzing fear...

Will:"I am... I have... Reservations about raising children... But I will admit I definitely want sex... Can I make a compromise?"  I pleaded.

Huzotz didn't move a single inch and in a serious tone responded. 

Huzotz: "No."

Will:I continued after a poignant pause. "Even if the compromise involves having children?"  I clarified.

Huzotz sighed a bit leaning back into his chair folding his arms into his chest waving his palm as if I should go on.

Emboldened, I continued.

Will:"Look, I won't lie, I fantasize about being someone who beautiful women look to for sexual gratification.  I just would feel guilty about littering the land with children born as a result of my pleasure, and nothing else."

I gestured in a dramatic chopping motion to punctuate the conversation and to nix the concept.

Will: "So what if I was given control of who I could impregnate?"  I offered.

"I get pleasure with who I want, but I'm sure to also find some women who would be content having children, but not necessarily needing me around... Or HELL... Maybe I WILL find someone someday that I would feel comfortable enough with to be a real lover and father to their children!"

 

I sat up straighter, folding my hands respectfully.

 

Will:"I would like to think that I have demonstrated myself to be willing to compromise and play by the rules so far, so can I offer my word that I will promise to sire some children..."

 

Huzotz Sighed a bit and looked at him thinking for a moment before rolling his shoulders. 

 

Huzotz: "Even with this I can't promise another god won't intervene, but none of these things can make you into being as strong as a hero should be. I guess you will have a request later, the time is coming to an end. I hope you're prepared for your new home. you will have a bag with you with some things you might need, I can't promise where you will end up either. My domain is only Wisdom and Books, so I wish you luck in your future. I have taken an interest in you, so don't disappoint me ya?" 

The sudden realization my time here was at an end hit me abruptly.

"Then how can I contact you?  Or any other God?  Writing a book?"  I blurted.

Huzotz smiled and waved his palm as if saying goodbye, a white haze enveloping the young man making the world around him fade away and disappear. Once the young man was gone Huzotz sighed and looked towards the ceiling chuckling softly. 

 

Huzotz: "My, that boy is going to be a interesting story"

8