017. The Last Drink
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anthony shocked his face in a small basin of ice water and then changed. Today would be the last day he’d be able to speak with Jack freely until he’d return as a proper smith. He changed into his breastplate, wrapped his sword belt around his waist, and then clipped his cloak into his armour.

Jack had woken up with a pounding headache not long after. He dunked himself into some water to bathe and then changed into his attire, wearing an outfit which he and Mark had bought. He slipped on his breastplate and strapped on his sword belt, keeping his Uncommon sword at his side. He rest his forearm between the hilt and his side as he walked down, swaying from side to side slightly as he saw the knight and guards waiting for him with a large feast.

“Good morning,” Anthony said, escorting Jack to his seat. “One last meal, and one last drink.”

“I don’t know about a drink, but a meal sounds great right now.” Jack continued to nurse his pounding headache.

“No drink? Do you hear that?” Anthony said to the guards.

“It seems little Jack is refusing our drinks,” Mark said, sighing.

“Now that we’re leaving, he’s leaving us with dry throats!” Anthony shook his head.

“Fine! Fine!” Jack placed his forehead against the table, groaning quietly. “Just one drink.”

Anthony laughed as he poured a shot of the whiskey little Jack had bought a few days ago. He poured one for every person there, including the driver. One shot wasn’t going to be dangerous.

“To Jack, the future smith!” Anthony said, raising his glass.

“To Jack, the future smith!” The guards raised their glasses.

Jack mumbled something as he raised his glass and then shot the whiskey back, feeling the burn in the back of his throat. Then he attacked the meat and potatoes which were waiting before him. He was starving after last night, and since it was their last meal it seemed Anthony had gone all out. They had even brought over an entire roasted pig, which they had shared with the other patrons.

“Next time we drink together, you’ll be a great smith with ten princesses beside you, ten heirs, and a dragon waiting on you.” Anthony smirked wide.

Jack looked at him confused, but he continued to eat. “I won’t have ten princesses or ten heirs. I’ll be a great smith and I’ll be meeting with your wife and children.”

“Oh? You’re going to steal them from me?” Anthony gasped.

Jack groaned and then continued to eat. It seemed he’d be in trouble if he continued to open his mouth. Anthony laughed as they continued to eat together. Anthony had a few more drinks until they were all done.

“I guess this is goodbye,” Anthony said.

“Yes,” Jack said, standing up. He reached out a hand and then clasped the knight’s hand firmly. They shook one another’s hands, and Jack continued to shake all those that had escorted it. “The last few days were a pleasure. Once Smith Terry returns, I’ll definitely work hard to become a great smith.”

“Do what you feel is best, little Jack.” Anthony smiled.

They all walked outside. “I’ll walk you to the gate.”

“No need for that,” Anthony said. “You should return to the inn, or I’m afraid we’ll cry if we catch another’s gaze as we head out the gate.”

“I won’t cry,” Jack said, but his pounding head was telling him it would be best if he returned to take a nap.

“I definitely will, little Jack.” Anthony smiled.

“Since you’ll cry, I’ll let you save face just this once.”

“I’ll be seeing you, little Jack. I’ll be sure to buy the best wine I can once I hear news of you becoming a great smith.”

“I’ll buy some whiskey, since it’s manly.” Jack smiled. “I’ll be a proper man by then so it’s only right.”

“Your words are truly wise.” Anthony laughed and then he waved.

“Take good care of yourself, and Mark, make sure you look after the drunken knight,” Jack joked.

“He’s already quipping at us,” Mark said, chuckling. “Looks like you’re already growing up.”

Jack nodded as the group said another set of goodbyes and they left. Jack quickly returned to his room, dropping down onto the bed. His eyes burned as he began to cry. It was only after he started crying that the situation really took to him. He was all alone in a strange city. If he had been banished to serve under Smith Kanders, it would have been so different. At least he could have seen his family and all the others, including miss Milly who would be sure he’d be eating a lot.

It was now that he felt truly abandoned.

Sir Anthony led the group as they headed out the city, and right before they reached the gates, he quickly ducked into an alley and changed his attire. The guards, and even the driver, pretended not to notice. Anthony slunk into the shadows, making his way through the city. Once he had reached the end of the alley, he seemed almost unrecognisable. He wore breastplate still and carried a longsword at his side, but they weren’t as fine make as those he usually wore.

There was still the matter of the kidnapping, and though Mister White was dealing with it, Anthony couldn’t bear to leave the young sir alone. He and the young master had both joined under Chief Bloodwall around the same time, and he grew up alongside Jack. To him, Jack was his family. He had recalled Ozcar’s look and when he had checked the ring filled with all the items, he understood that he had a secondary task.

There was only one man who would be able to slip away from the group without arising suspicion, and that was he, Sir Anthony. As he stepped through the shadows, he felt a chill. He swiftly turned on his heel, his blade swinging wildly as he caught the steel of another blade, stopping it in its track. If he had reacted even a moment later, he would have been gutted like a fish.

“What are you doing?” Mister White asked, smiling down at the knight.

Sir Anthony stepped back, surprise painting his face. He kept his blade gripped tightly in one hand as he stared up at the man. “I am remaining here.”

“Weren’t your orders to look after Jack until you reached Riverhill? Spending a few days longer was no problem, but remaining here after abandoning your post…” Mister White tilted his head slightly, letting his white hair fall over the front of his armour and over the sigil of the Bloodwalls. “If you’ve decided to no longer be a knight under Chief Bloodwall…” His sword remained still, though the scent of death on it was filling the alley.

“I am not abandoning my post, I’m just going absent without leave…”

“AWOL?” Mister White tilted his head further. He knew Sir Anthony and this wasn’t like him. He glanced at the armour and the sword that the knight was wearing, and it seemed as though that he had planned this before. Had he planned it before, or was it someone else? There were only two people who would have authorised this, the Chief or his right hand man, Sir Ozcar.

“What are you doing here anyway?” Anthony remained still, understanding that if he was to take a step anywhere, he’d be cut down where he stood.

“I am finishing up cleaning the mess which was left behind,” Mister White said, smiling warmly.

Anthony shuddered. “Have you seen little Jack?”

“I’ve been watching over him for some time now,” Mister White admitted. “You mentioned something about ten princesses and ten heirs.”

Anthony narrowed his eyes further. Mister White’s abilities were such that he could remain nearby without ever giving up his presence. The man was a terrifying entity, one he couldn’t struggle again. Even if he did struggle, it would only be for a moment. “It was his drunken words last night and we decided to poke fun at him, but it seems he doesn’t remember.”

“I see…” Mister White went silent for a moment. “So you got him drunk last night and managed to make him say such silly things…” Mister White fell silent once more.

Murderous intent left Mister White and the knight struggled to remain standing. It was just a little joke, there was no way that Mister White would kill him because of that. Right?

‘I can’t believe they managed to get him so drunk he’d say such silly things! Damn it! I should have returned earlier! Why did I decide to send the message last night instead of returning right away? Not even the blood of this city will be able to make up for this!’ Mister White remained smiling towards Jack, watching as the knight continued to shake and shudder. He was certainly worth of being a knight of Bloodwall.

Mister White stopped his murderous intent. “You are remaining here to look after little Jack, is that right?”

“That’s right. Someone needs to make sure that there aren’t other threats around.”

Sir Anthony was one of the weakest Knights of Bloodwall, but he could hold his own against most threats. Knowing that, Mister White nodded. “If I find out that you’ve abandoned your duties, I may have to visit you.”

“It’s a good thing I always keep a gem coin with me at all times,” Anthony half joked.

“You’re a knight of Bloodwall, one gem coin isn’t enough.” Mister White disappeared when Anthony dared to next blink.

Anthony dropped to a knee and panted. He was covered in a cold sweat, feeling the burn of his muscles which had tried to keep him standing. Thankfully, Mister White didn’t continued with his pressure, otherwise he would have crumpled like a piece of trash.

Agatha, the female shadow, straightened as Mister White appeared beside her. She hadn’t even felt his presence. Her eyes remained glued to him as he sat down on a stool.

“Agatha,” the man said, causing her to straighten further. “How would a man find ten princesses?”

Agatha wasn’t sure if it was a rhetorical question, or if the man had lost his mind. “The kingdom might not have ten princesses, but the empire should.”

Mister White looked out the window, as though she had said something so profound that he needed to think. ‘The empire should have ten princesses…’

 


uCsJdLA.png


I mean, it does make sense for the empire to have many princesses. 

2