Chapter 4 – Untended Graves
166 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Untended Graves

With Mildred holding Marlene’s hand. She took the little girl who wore a round-brimmed hat with her out to the sun. Marlene looked at the world in fear. The little lady, her darling, was cringing at the sight of the sun. Carriages passed the streets. Horses and automobiles mingled in the wide-open roads. There was a certain gloom in the Capitol city  that could not be hidden from anyone.

A man waited in the carriage. He looked at the little lady and Mildred. Mildred gestured silently for him to open the doors of the carriage. She climbed first then pulled Marlene in the carriage. The little girl held her right hand with quite a grip. She looked around anxiously, keeping hold of her diary. Mildred admits that she was quite curious about the contents of the diary. But that was a violation of her heart. Even she didn’t have the courage to open a fragile heart like hers.

The carriage started to move. Although there was some merit in the automobiles. They were still unreliable. Some of them break down in the road and some have problems such as leakages. The carriage she was riding was quite smooth. She must admit that the rubber wheels had helped in making the ride smoother than the usual wooden-wheeled carriages.

She looked outside. Hernas was quite a wide-open street. The streets could fit four roads and even though there were less carriages in the streets. Grayness covered the capitol city and its roads. The carriage driver was moving slowly. Sometimes he would struggle around fallen tables and chairs. On the corners of the street there were passersby who were walking with their heads down.

“Lucas wasn’t it?”

“Yes, Ms. Hilma.”

“Hmm, it is good to know that you still live. How are things in the senate, Lucas?”

“Tiresome, Ms.”

“Is that so? Tell me, have they done frolicking about?”

“I’m afraid they wouldn’t have time to do so, milady.”

Mildred leaned on the side. She took something from her purse and handed it to Marlene. She looked outside once more. There were buildings that were burnt. There were signs of explosions. Some of the alleys were blocked off by barricades from furniture thrown from the two-story brick and mortar buildings.

“Is the imperial grave closed off?”

“There are only the men of Markus guarding the graves. There will be no one to disturb you.”

“The tools?”

“Milady, we have a gardener that might be able to help in cleaning.”

“No, in Witia we do the cleaning ourselves. It is a sign of respect that we must do. Of course, it is different here in Hernas, no?”

“I wouldn’t dare to say. I had heard of Witia, but never really went there.”

“You will like it, Lucas. It is as colorful and idyllic as it is described.”

“I hope so, Ms.”

The carriage continued on until it reached the main road of Hernas. The main roads of Hernas that were usually filled with passersby were empty. All that was left were wary soldiers holding on to their rifles. Each side was resting. It was awful despite how the Great War was over. There was no peace in the hearts and minds of the people of Hernas. Of course, how could they be so carefree when there were monoplanes from the allied forces flying above the capital?

“They are relentless, aren’t they? Then again there are individuals who might want to punch me in the face right now.”

“That is true, Ms. So please be careful.”

“Do you think they’d dare?”

“They might try. But it is known that the Lady has reached so far because of your martial prowess and deadly shooting. Of course, in terms of strategic prowess, the lady has shown brilliance as well.”

“You really are good at sugarcoating. I don’t hate it. Lucas, once you arrive in the estate of mine in Witia, I hope that you can continue this business of yours. There are much needed carriage drives. We do think that such automobiles are not so great. I think your missus will like the place.”

“I will, Madam.”

“Good. I might need your services once in a while. It’s good that you are now willing to leave this capital. I am glad. You’ve been working for this city for ten years now. Back then I was still a student here trying to get my bearings. A shame isn’t it? How lives could be easily torn because of the failure of others.”

“It is by your appearance that this city still stands, Madam. We would have the capital burned down if it wasn’t for your regiment. You will always be the savior of our capital, madam. Many might not acknowledge what you have done for them. But please believe me when I say that I am wholeheartedly thankful of what you have done for us.”

“You place too much importance on my actions.”

She held Marlene who was looking at her toy. She was a child, but she still had her wits. Such a child wouldn’t have survived if it wasn’t for the wits that made her survive this long.

“All that I have done was for the sake of my darling here.”

Lucas didn’t reply. There was no need to know more other than that imperial princess was someone who she cherished. Mildred wasn’t going to deny that either. In fact, she was leaving all the troublesome things to the people who cared about this capital more than her. She did not care about this old capital. They were not the people she was meant to protect and all she cared about was getting Marlene out of this city. It’s because Marlene was here that she would save it. It was because she was around that she bothered mingling with the capital and its people.

She bothered to care about what started this war because of Marlene. She had no reason before, but now she had. From the start she was still an Archduchess and with the people around her she had no problems dragging her enemies to the gallows in exchange for Marlene and the powers that they would have once their agendas are passed in the imperial senate.

 

***

 

The fencing that corralled the imperial graveyard was guarded by soldiers wearing red uniforms. They inspected the carriage and told Lucas to enter this narrow stone-paved path. She took the tools in the carriage and carried it with her inside the imperial graveyard. Unlike the streets that they had passed by. The imperial graveyard was coated in the shine of the sun. It was the only place where there were no huge buildings on the four sides that blocked the sunlight from the sky.

The pathways had withered roses. On the side of the plant holders were empty concrete basins. The whole graveyard could hold an entire community and yet there was no sign of any intrusion. Why would there be when this place was considered sacred and cursed?

Sacred because it is the resting place of the rulers of Wiesen. Cursed that those who would touch the place would have been chased by the dead and the living. There were marble buildings in the graveyard that housed the dead. But those who are now crowned were placed on a hill.

She hated hills. Ever since she had been young the idea of them irritated her. She didn’t know why she hated them and thought that if she’s in some hill, she’d be cursed. Anyway, she went past the hill and found a corner that was overgrown. Mildred’s expression went cold as she looked at the tall grasses surrounding it.

Even the gravestone etched with the name Mariane was not cared for. Even her last name was scratched from the gravestone. A forgotten person amidst these tombs. She looked at the gravestone with a heavy look before adjusting her saber and holster. She placed the tools on the side of the grave. Marlene stared at the grave with blank eyes. Eyes that a child shouldn’t have.

“Come, let’s clean your mama’s grave.”

“Sister...why did they bury my mama here.”

“Because they are not good people. Those who go to the gallows while wearing such maddening faces are not good.”

She touched her knees and looked at the grass.  She plucked one grass then another.

“Child, use these tools. We’ll make this place pretty for her, okay?”

“Okay.”

Mildred rolled her sleeves and started tending to the grass. She didn’t have the strength so the little lady only had to cut the grass while Mildred would pull it out of the ground. Although she was a woman, she had been training herself regularly. And at least she wouldn’t find herself losing to a regular man if it comes to a brawl. She hasn’t made her body this toned for no reason.

“Please clean the gravestone, my dear. Let’s follow tradition while we are here.”

She doesn't know when she’ll have to clean this grave again. Whether she’ll have the stomach to take a step in this wretched city once this was done. The two of them diligently cleaned the grave of Mariane until it was spotless clean. Mildred took her pocket watch out. It was already noon by the time they were done cleaning. Mildred did most of the work and found it less tiresome than swinging a sword or a saber. She barely worked a sweat and yet the grave became almost neat. It wasn’t perfect. But it was good enough for Mildred.

“Mama will be happy like this?”

“She will since her darling has helped care for her resting place.”

“Sister, I have a question.”

“What is it?”

“The people in the palace told me that you were with mama when I was born. Is that true?”

“Yes. I helped the midwife give birth to you. You were quite a small child. Ah, I still remember your cry.”

“Why did you leave?”

Mildred pursed her mouth. “Because it was not time for me to do so. I had left you your Nanny, but it seems like the rotten people in the palace replaced her by the time I know it. I could have gotten you out faster if I didn’t have to spend time in the war…”

“It’s okay, the nanny told me that. I saw a photo of my mother. She is really pretty. Will I become as pretty as my mama?”

“Of course. I will make sure of it. No one will touch you while you have the name of Von Hilma in your name. I have made a promise to your mother after all. That I will make sure no harm will come from you. I only hope that you take care of me as well, my darling”

“I hope so. I like you sister.”

The little lady stared at the gravestone. Brown leaves fell on the side of the grave. There was a quiet wind coming from the street populated by buildings. From a distance Mildred could hear the neighing of the horses of the carriages. The quiet city was foreign to her compared to those past days before all of the mess started. The bustling city she saw during the day when she had time to sightsee was no longer around.  What was left was nothing more than a downtrodden and defeated city. It was no longer the same city that was bustling with pride. The flags of the Wiesen Empire no longer flutter among the buildings. There was still a distinct smell of gunpowder and blood that remained in the air. Planes zipping the city skies made one feel like they would be bombed before they would know it. 

She unrolled her sleeves.  She adjusted her shoulder cape and stayed in silence in prayers. Mildred took a long look at the little lady and for a moment she saw a memory of that day. The day she took an oath in front of her friend in regards to her baby. The day where her friend Mariane died.

The smell of blood. Her friend was breathing hard. Mariane was birthing alone without any help. The imperial family didn’t want the child. They were hoping to kill Mariane as well. It was an accident in the crown prince’s. If he hadn’t died. Mariane wouldn’t have such a hard time. It was because he had a child with a woman who had not been properly wedded to the prince. Not to mention that she was not the fiancée of the crown prince.

She recalled seeing the sigh of relief on her friend’s face. How she let her head rest as if she had done best. She could remember leaning her ears to Mariane. How she whispered, “Please take care of her for me, okay? Please, Mildred, you are the only one who I can trust. My best friend, sorry, and I thank you.”

Her hands went weak. The light of her eyes blinked out as if there was no light that could shine on it. Mildred heard the cry of a young child after that. She looked at the child, then to the daring bastards who tried to take the child. If she was not the Archduchess of Witia, they would have taken the child.  If she didn’t put her guards into place long enough for the child to be alive. She would have not lived past her third year in this world.

She hated herself for not being able to take Marlene immediately. She hated the palace for six years of suffering that they did. If she hadn’t decided to take the step. If she had hesitated. Would Marlene still be chained? Or would she have died under the flames of the air raid of the allied forces? She didn’t want to know what would be the consequences.

Mildred shut her mind off. She hated the thoughts coming in her mind like a flood of hate. She instead looked at the little girl who held a toy and watched the grave of her. She had to disperse the hate in her mind.

“Marlene, have you said your prayers to your mom?”

“I have.”

The little girl turned towards Mildred. She gave Mildred a quiet look before she pressed herself on Mildred.

“Sister, thank you for bringing me to where mama is.”

Mildred sat on her knees. The little child looked at her. There were expectations and also fear in her eyes. Expectations of a future that was coming for her and the fear that this was all a ploy. Mildred can see it well. She was afraid to be hurt. That’s what Mildred could feel while looking at the eyes of this child.

“Marlene, after this you will travel with me to Nobra. In Nobra, there is a good doctor who will take a look at your health. Once we’re there I will make sure that you are of good health when we return to Witia with Lara. Do you understand?”

“I understand. As long as my big sister and Mama Lara are with me. Then I will not be afraid.”

She lifted her lips and closed her eyes. The sun shone on the little girl. The breeze passed by and within that momentary peace. Mildred thought to herself that she would protect this little girl with all of her heart.

 

***

 

They returned to the temporary residence. When they arrived back at the entrance of the front garden. A man who wore a red cloak around his shoulder stood next to a woman who was taking a drag of her cigarette. He stood tall. He seemed like he was waiting for a talk. Marlene saw the man and the woman. She decided to enter while keeping her head down. There was another person on the side as well. She was a brunette with this lazy but striking expression. If there was anything that the two had similarities. They wore the same black and gold accented uniform.

“Archduchess.”

The two greeted her. Mildred found her hand on the pommel of her saber. She ran her gaze alternately between the two of them.

“Markus. Regina. So you two have decided to visit me. What? Going to petition that Lord Beric is not your leader?”

Markus snorted. Regina shook her head lightly. They might have some thoughts about Beric being chancellor instead of the Archduchess. But they weren’t going to discuss it in front of her openly.

“We respect this choice. I understand that Lord Beric has qualities that we do not have.”

“Yeah, he does. He’s rational while you two have your own extremes. I wanted someone in the middle. I don’t have to repeat this to you two. You’re not children.”

Her blunt words made the two sighed. They were used to her. How she spoke and acted. How domineering she could be. Markus pocketed his hands. Regina dropped her cigarette stub and stomped on it.

“Your lips will be blackened if you keep this up. Markus, don’t slouch. Are you not a captain now?”

Mildred adjusted the straps of her shoulder cape. She walked to the wooden bench and leaned back with arms folded. The two remained standing.

One of the few leaves that drifted was suddenly caught by Mildred. She stared at the left before letting it go.

“What? I don’t have anything to talk about other than good luck. You two will need it.”

“Are you sure?”

“I told you my reason, Markus,” she recalled an image of a woman sitting on a burning hill. “I simply wish to live and raise Marlene as well,” then a smile found her. “It’s something that I wanted and I don’t have to worry about childbirth. I made a promise. That promise is something I intend to do. Or do you disagree with me on this?”

“No, how could we have the shame to ask you more?”

“It’s good that you two understand. I hope that you also came here to say that the train has been repaired? Or do I have to wait another week?”

“No, it is repaired.”

Then Regina brazenly sat down next to Mildred. “Nobra is neutral so I don’t expect anything. Jarvis and Lara will be with you in the town so I don’t think you have to worry.”

“I heard that Dr. Kaden Von Alden and Isidor Burkhan of the Verloren Einsen are in Nobra. Is that why you want to bring the young lady there?”

“The Verloren Einsen company is quite famous for their skills. They are rather eccentric so I am hoping to get my darling treated.”

Markus wanted to refute. But looked to the side instead. Mildred decided to let it go and turned towards the monoplane passing by once more. The Great War had ended, but the steel birds were a reminder of the life that they are about to face from now on. And somehow knowing what their life would be, Mildred Wendelia Von Hilma wanted nothing to do with it.

5