Chapter 28 – Star’s Crossed
67 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Star's Crossed

To reach Witia one would usually take a train first. Then find a harbor or a port with passenger ships that are heading to the island. You see the island is surrounded by water and a natural cliff face that surrounds the entire island, elevating it naturally from the sea. To get inside the island you need to gain entry through this massive coastal dock where the pier is located, where the passengers visiting the island are located. Two thousand five hundred square miles of a coastline. Prairies, small valleys, and mostly dominated by highlands. The island’s natural defenses and the brilliance of its defenders were known in the textbooks of the Principality and the Empire. It was only because of the agreement with the Empire that Witia Island became part of the empire. Though usually autonomous. The island was also one of the places in the ‘Empire’ where grain grows without fail.

It was speculated that the natural valleys protecting the plains where the wheat is grown alongside various crops were the ones keeping their produce safe. The towns and villages of Witia were bucolic and slow. Red tile bricks and adobe walls plastered colorfully, facing the Western Sea of Ghan. The largest town being Herten.

On the fields between the village called Onach and Longi was an airfield where these planes are located. Because of the topography of Witia Island. Most of the roads are either climbing and or passing through tunnels. There was a one-hundred twenty miles of road while the rest of the roads and passages were handled by tram railways and ropeways forming this complex web that made the island accessible.

It was not simply the crops that made this possible. The gold reserve of Witia and their natural treasures on their shores made them abundantly rich. Because of the natural position of the island between two massive continents that it has become a well-known sea-stop where sailing ships had once docked or marooned to take a rest from long journeys. Hence Longi, the ‘mouth’ of Witia Island, had quite a large population with bars and eateries in each possible street. Blanketing the cliffside were rows of colored houses blanketing the cliff faces. From the sky these red clay roof tiles made for quite a view. From such a high view one could see the narrow stepped lanes zigzagging the town are paved with cobblestone. The ancient yet beautifully maintained living streets filled with citizens and travel-weary travelers crowding the lanes. It was a beautiful sight, especially when it was shaded in this beautiful sunset covering the colored houses of the town. Slowly the lights flicker, dotting the streets with dots of light that are preparing for the coming night. 

“Looks like it’s going to be dark sooner or later.”

“It can't be helped,” said someone in a rather loud voice. “Long distance flights are quite a doozy it seems. I prefer that we take our time.”

“Ain’t it a sight?”

“Speak up! Can’t hear you because of the propeller!”

“Beautiful isn’t it!?”

“It is!”

Karl agreed to that sentiment. The pilot circled around this field.

“So how is it?”

“Looks like the design for the engine is quite efficient! Though from the looks of it we can cover about 1200 miles. That’s five hours!”

Karl tapped on the equipment. He took out the notepad attached to this small rope on the inside of the cockpit.

“Two hundred seventeen thousand knots  over a thousand miles. Indeed, quite the powerful plane,” he said loudly to the front. “Sir Viole must have invested a lot in this,” he scribbled on the note and then inserted. “The question is can we land safely?”

“Karl, can you tap out the code?”

“Sure.”

Karl tapped the dots and dashes. While the pilot popped a flare from the cockpit and threw it over the field.

“Got it sent. So this should be Onach Field?”

“It is. See that watchtower?”

“I can. Looks like they are telling us to land there.”

“Good eyes, Karl.”

There was a man on the landing field pointing towards a flattened runaway. From the looks of it there were five hangars and two propeller planes on this airfield. The pilot, who he knew as Werner Udet, was one of Sir Viole’s juniors. He was trusted with the delivery of this package. From Karl’s personal experience. Werner Udet was a pilot who found the skies his calling. Karl had observed from their short interaction that he was a man who couldn’t be tied down to the land. He behaved as if he was a child and at the same time a bird. He wasn’t that interested in the package nor what Karl wanted. Certainly an eccentric with the bearing of a professional pilot nonetheless.

The plane landed. Karl saw the island guard approaching alongside a uniformed man in glasses. The plane slowly crawled to a stop. Karl vaulted out of the plane with raised hands. “Hail,” Karl said. “We’re from the United Provinces. If you permit, I would show you my papers.”

The man in glasses arrived in front of Karl. He pushed his glasses up before nodding. Karl took out the papers on his satchel.  The man took the papers and inspected them.

“His papers?”

His eyes were on Werner. Werner handed his papers to Karl who then passed it to the man. After briefly examining the papers. The man handed the paperwork back and placed a hand on his chest.

“I am Gisfrid Baier, I welcome you two to our humble island. May I ask what your business is? I can see that you are from VPC?”

“We are. This is the pilot of Viole’s Postal Company. Werner Udet. As for me I have business with the Lady of the Island herself,” Karl presented the letter that was on his satchel as well.

Gisfrid read the paper. His expression was growing serious. He folded the paper. Karl took it back while the soldiers who were curious raised a brow.

“It seems that you are part of Verloren Einsen?”

“I am associated with.”

Gisfrid took out his pocket watch. Behind him the lights were already lit up. From the looks of it the whole island already had a well-established power grid keeping it well-lit. Gisfrid didn’t notice the shaking of his own eyelids.

“What about Mr. Udet?”

“He’ll be with his plane. I am also in-charge of caring for the package.”

Werner took the package from the compartment of the plane. Karl took the package containing the documents and carried it on hand alongside his luggage. Werner spoke with his men. The man he spoke to ran towards the hangars.

“I’ve contacted the acting-governor. He’ll allow the meeting. Also, it would be your best interest, my good sir, if you take the railway headed straight to Herten. It will be a thirty-minute ride.”

“Thank you. I’ll be going there.”

Karl turned towards Werner.

“You keep safe, Werner. I’ll be hurrying along now.”

Werner waved his hand. Karl followed Gisfrid. The man who ran was now driving an automobile. Karl was pleasantly surprised. He rode on the back of the automobile. Gisfrid was on the side.

“He’ll be taking you to the station. And welcome to our island, Doctor Alden.”

Karl nodded. The driver stepped on the pedal. The automobile took this dirt road first. Then followed this small road leading to town. It didn’t take for the automobile to reach the railway. He found the tram and was waved at by the conductor. Karl entered the tram and found himself asking why everything seems to travel fast.

The conductor of the tram explained to Karl that they had telephones that they used all over the island. He also pointed to the telephone lines that were closely joined with the electric power lines that were spread all over the island.

Along the way Karl saw small hamlets and farmlands. The tram climbed up and down. It passed through tunnels and iron bridges that crossed the gap. Karl took notice how most of the railway was still maintained. And from the looks of it there were signs of workers watching over the railways.

“The governor demanded that the railways and ropeways are constantly watched over. It ain’t a surprise if you’d see a railway worker on the side of the line, Sir,” the conductor patiently explained.

The scenery changed. The air became colder and the light dimmer. Karl turned to face the coast and saw how the sunset and the moonlight mixed together forming this ethereal scenery. He had been traveling due to the war. But nonetheless he only saw death and burnt land. He took in the scenery. His eyes flickering as the light on his eyes became as still as a lake. The tram climbed once again and then went down to this flat plain where Karl spotted another town with similar colored two-story houses. The trip was relaxing and he thought to himself that he wouldn’t get sick of seeing such a beautiful view.

Karl got off the tram. It was then that he saw a man smoking a cigar waiting just outside of the station. Once he saw Karl the man dropped his cigar and stomped hard on it. He walked slowly to Karl.

“I’m Cornelius, Sir. I was told to pick you up.”

“You did?”

“Yes.”

Karl looked around. He was the only one around the station.

“Looks like the tram only functions before night?”

Cornelius nodded.  He didn’t notice that there was ash on his sleeves.

“You’re probably the only passenger after this, Sir.”

“I see. Then we should carry on.”

“Right, Sir.”

Karl entered the motorcycle sidecar. Cornelius drove away from the station and headed up where he followed this stony road.

“Seems like the road’s here are different.”

“They said they’ll change it to concrete soon, Sir.”

“The island looks well-off.”

“Aye, that is. But it's thanks to the Lady that it is. Folks here wouldn’t mind letting her rule more.”

“Guess she is popular.”

“You could say that again.”

The sidecar continued. It passed through small lanes. Karl saw several stalls and buildings that were selling goods. He also spotted that there were couples walking under banner flags with light bulbs on it. It was quite a romantic mood that Karl couldn’t help but ask.

“Is it always like this?”

“It’s nearing the end of the season so there are festivities coming, Sir. You should look forward to the harvest festival, Sir. It’ll be fun. Not to mention that Rymerien will hold a sky lamp show this year.”

Karl listened. After a few minutes Karl spotted the villa where he suspected where the Archduchess was living. As the sidecar approached the villain. The guards hailed the side before forcing the sidecar to a stop. They asked Karl for his papers and then asked the staff inside. After a minute of waiting, Karl was allowed inside the villa. He was led by a butler and a maid who took him to the entrance of the villa. Waiting in the villa, holding on to his luggage and package. He stood under this chandelier while observing the interior ornaments of the villa. He had expected more decorations. Though the wooden furnishing of the interior was quite new.

As he examined the interior design. He didn’t notice the person walking over. She wore a black ankle-length dress. Her reddish blonde hair braided into a bun. She was slim and curvaceous with long legs. Her amber eyes swept the room. As Karl turned he met with her eyes. For a moment he found himself staring at her then he quickly placed a hand on his chest.

“I am Karl Von Alden,” he said tonelessly. “I came here because of a letter from my father. It is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Mildred.”

There was no reply. Karl stayed his gaze on the floor.

Then as time passed he slowly raised his head up and saw the lady staring at him as if he was a ghost.

Her pupils dilated and lower lip trembling.

3