Chapter 34 – The Happiest Girl
73 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Happiest Girl

Marlene, the little girl, was a brave child. She does not easily cry. From the looks of it she was used to the sadness of her state. Little kid trying to be brave despite her days itching to that oblivion.

The Island of Witia was comfortable. It’s people are kind and humble. They toil early in the morning, wake up, and care for their crops and flock. Most of the population was elderly or middle-aged. There are younglings on the island. Because of the position of the island, there was a great trade, making the Island industrialized.

Most of the officials gather on the  main governing island. Every end of the week they would hold a meeting led solely by the Mistress of the Island. The mistress of the island would hear out the mayor and chiefs of each community. The meetings usually take about half-a-day to finish.

Karl spent most of his time concocting medicine or watching over the little madam of the Island. He would stick to his duties. There are times where he would make his way to a part of the villa. His eyes took a glance at the Mistress of the Island. The rumors did not lie about her beauty. Her eyes were bewitching. Her little movements and the way she gestured would make any man swoon. Karl accepted that there were parts of him that regarded her actions as something else. Nonetheless, a look doesn’t hurt, and that’s that.

The island was big. The scent of grain and grass mingled in the hair. Children were either running around the fields with their paper windmills. Some flew a kite while the rest stayed near these little patches of water. Karl had thrown a pebble with a string tied to it, hoping to measure it. The string ran out.

There was a wooden grate on the bottom of these patches of water. He heard from a local that it was meant to catch those who might fall. The more he stayed on the Island the more he felt that it was strange and charming. The days were slow despite the hubbub of activity that could be found everywhere on the port of this island.

When night comes to the island, a great show from the skies pleases the eyes, a big body of heaven dots the skies as if the gods have spilled milk and sprinkled sugar on it. There was always a river of stars on the left and a huge scar of multi-colored lights on the right; mixing together to create this painting of heavens.

In the balcony that he was being invited to. Under the guise of reports, he would spend time with the Lady of the Island. He spoke of the little madam’s illness. She was made of stern stuff. Though she couldn’t hide the tinge of despair in her voice at the mention of the coming death of her daughter. It was visible how slowly she was weakening. And although Lady Mildred wanted to spend time with her daughter. She couldn’t spend it with her daughter’s refusal.

The smell of this steaming tea wafted in the air. Wearing only this thin dress with a coat covering her body. Karl found himself tested again. Perhaps it was the confidence and the way she stride that made him feel so uneasy. His hand on the armrest clenched. The way she stared sometimes made it quite tempting to act like a gentleman.

He quenched his thirst with the tea, took a bite of the biscuit, and wiped his face. The professional demeanor that he wore protected him for a moment. She raised her hand and swung her right and placed it on the other. She slid down and then stared at the skies.

Karl sighed. Then again it was somewhat understandable on her part. Karl said nothing and spent the rest of the evening watching the seas and the skies. The barely light hallways made Karl think of the coming days. The next week was going to be gruesome and at the same time. He thought that this was meant to be fighting a hopeless war.

He was no genius. Just because he was here doesn’t mean that things would go right. He was nothing more than a former soldier trying his best to become a physician. He understood that he couldn’t possibly match the skill of the Verloren Einsen Company.

“It’s going to be the end of the year.”

Karl said to himself. The war was over. But it doesn’t mean that the hardships will stop. He knew it himself that no matter what the road continues on. He entered his room and sat on the side of his bed and rested.

When the morning came he was awoken by the sound of the maid caring for Marlene breathing loudly. Karl dragged himself out of the bed, followed the maid to the room of the Lady where he saw the little lady crying quietly at her pain. Next to her was the Mistress of the Island quietly caring for her daughter. Her motherly gaze mixed with an expression that made her look so lost on what she should do. Her daughter cried harder, but no sound came out of her mouth.

Karl injected her with a pain reliever. The little girl quieted down as the drug worked. Vicky took her leave and the only ones left in the room were the three. The drapes are blown softly. From a distance , he could hear the lapping of the waves.

He stood without movement. His eyes on the mother and daughter pair who were wrapped in this sadness. When the little miss fell asleep. Mildred laid her gently and told Karl with her eyes to leave them alone. She wouldn’t listen to Marlene any longer.

Karl went back to his room, dressed himself up, and walked to the separate building. He concocted more of the medicine while occasionally pausing. Rage boiled for a second before he let go of it.

His face crumpled. He couldn’t accept how much he could do nothing about the little girl’s cry. Reality was always a reminder to do better. “What can I do?” Karl said to himself.

When it was noon he left the clinic. He found himself walking along this dirt path. The end of the year meant that there would be celebrations. He heard from the locals that there was going to be a celebration. Karl doubts that the villa would take this chance to celebrate, then again, the little madam probably wanted to spend some private time with her mother.

After his stroll Karl went back to the clinic where he found Lady Mildred flipping the pages of his note. A visible frustration could be found on her face. She looked at Karl with a weary expression, “What are you good for anyways?”

He did not reply. Realizing her words she placed the notes down. She folded her arms and looked at Karl, “I guess my daughter doesn’t have much time?”

“Yes.”

“Karl… you do realize that I want to be comforted? Why would you be so blunt?”

“I cannot… lie about her condition,” he neared her. He was not that far from her. He could hear the tremble in her voice. She was holding it in. But nonetheless, she never looked more fragile than ever. Karl hated himself for thinking that way.

“I see… How long?”

“Not that long… she can at least see the new year.”

“Oh,” Mildred leaned her hand on the side of the table, “guess that’s it huh. Can you really do nothing?”

Karl joined his hands together and placed it in front of him. “I cannot do much other than ease her pain. That was… my goal from the start, Madam.”

“I know. I’ve no right to be sad.”

“You do. Madam, just because you’ve done something worse. It doesn’t mean that you have no right.”

“Are you speaking from experience? You don’t seem so saddened when you talk about your father.”

“It is. It’s a matter of mindset. Truthfully, I’m nothing more than a pretender. So, please pardon me for not… being so pretentious.”

Mildred stared at her and exhaled. She pressed her forehead on Karl’s chest. Karl wrapped his arms around her and patted her back.

“It’s tiresome… can you really not help?”

“I’m sorry…”

“Don’t tell anyone… I cannot afford to be weak in front of others.”

Karl nodded in understanding. “I am a Doctor… Mildred. So any information that comes out of my mouth without the permission of my clients would break the doctor’s oath.”

“Thank you. I’m glad that we agree. I hope you aren’t so disappointed about my behavior.”

“No, people tend to say that I am a monster myself, but I don’t give much thought when they say otherwise that I am not.”

“Hah, such a monster wouldn’t act like this.”

“Some do.”

“But you aren’t.”

Karl wanted to rebut but instead stayed quiet. Mildred’s arms wrapped around his and she buried her face on his chest while muffling her cry. Karl stayed still. He didn’t offer false sympathies and simply offered his chest to cry on.

After some time she let go and wiped her face with her hands. She placed a brave cry and then sat on the stool.

“Thank you, Karl.”

“No problem, Mildred.”

Regaining her composure she breathed in and out. “Can you help me take Marlene to Rymerien? There’s a festival there and I would like to take her there. She always wanted to see off the lamps when she heard of it.”

“Okay. I’ll take her there. But is this okay, for you?”

“I’ve thought about it. And unfortunately my daughter is right. Of course she is. She’s smart. And if given the choice… then I would rather go out while looking at such a scene. It's quite beautiful so I would want to as well.”

“I see.”

“Prepare yourself,” she walked out of the clinic, then turned, lifting a finger near her mouth. “Keep it a secret okay?”

Karl nodded. He left the clinic after that and dressed himself up. His suit underneath his covert coat. He waited on the automobile and saw Lady Mildred and Lady Marlene. Karl helped Lady Marlene into the automobile and then placed her wheelchair on the back of the automobile.

The trip took an hour and a half. The automobile entered Rymerien. The colored two-story houses and the brick road were packed to the brim. The festival was being held on the cliffside where everyone was waiting for the event to start. Mildred already made her reservation and they were seated inside this warm house waiting for the event to start. Karl acted like a servant while also keeping an eye on the little madam. Lady Marlene was excited despite the state of her health. Karl gave her a stronger dose of her pill. It was going to energize her for the next few hours. When the festival started, Karl pushed on Lady Marlene, making use of his strength to carry her to the cliff. When the drug kicked in. Lady Marlene stood up. Mildred’s face was anxious but knowing that this might be her daughter’s last act. She threw all that was dignified and joined her in the festivities. Some might have known who the Lady was, but seeing the little girl and Karl’s glare. They moved on and left the two alone. Karl stood in the background and recalled that his father gave him a pocket camera. Taking his pocket camera out he saw the mother and daughter pair holding onto a flying lantern as the festival began and when the lanterns were released to the sky.

Karl held out his pocket camera, aimed it at the two, and took a shot.

Marlene spread her hands towards the skies while her mother embraced her daughter and watched her with a big smile and tears running down her cheeks.

Karl wouldn’t forget it.

He probably wouldn’t be able to forget such an image.

Of the happiest little girl in the world.


A happy new year to everyone!
Thanks to those who are still reading this series!

2