The Heron and the Pig
83 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

* Inspired by the story behind the saying, “走马观花”.


 

At some point during their lives, spirit beasts can assume a human form. Each beast took pride in their unique forms and did their utmost best to cultivate them to their tastes and best of their abilities. It is these forms that spirit beasts look at before arranging to marry another spirit beast, as they were often tantamount to their cultivation level and aptitudes.

Now, it chanced to be that a certain heron spirit wanted to get married. He had an elegant and very beautiful face when he turned into a human cultivator, but oh dear! — for when it came to his legs they were still spindly herons’ legs, and he had difficulty walking with them for they weren’t made to support the form of a human. He wobbled as he walked and as he walked he wobbled, so they weren’t any good at all.

However, this embarrassing flaw didn’t deter the heron spirit one bit. He called his friend, a rat spirit, one day for tea to ask him for a favour.

“Ah Rat ah, Ratty ah,” said the heron, “I’d like to get married soon. Now, I know you’re the best matchmaker in town – I don’t mind whether it’s a groom or a bride, but I’d definitely want to marry a good-looking beast, one as good-looking as myself.”

The rat thought for a while and smiled happily when he recalled someone. “I know just the perfect match for you!”

Now, there also chanced to be a pig spirit who wanted to get married around the same time as the heron. He had a wonderful form overall when he transformed into a human cultivator – the only problem was that he couldn’t hide his pig’s nose whenever he did so. Otherwise, he was a perfectly handsome fellow – with a lovely pair of sword-like brows and phoenix eyes and thin ruby red lips, as well as a very gallant figure, rather like a noble general’s or a war lord’s.

So when the rat spirit came over to visit one day, the pig spirit was overjoyed to hear that he had found a match for him.

“Ratty ah, you know my tastes,” said the pig spirit. “Is he very beautiful?”

“Very,” said the rat, truthfully.

“Delicate and refined?” asked the pig.

“Yes, and yes,” said the rat, just as truthfully.

“But what about my nose?” asked the pig, this time a bit uncertainly. He had a jovial and kindly personality and his friends all loved him, but when it came to marriage, things were often quite different as they were usually based on first impressions. All spirit beast grooms and brides never saw each other until the wedding night itself so they usually had to be doubly sure.

“This…” the rat put his hand on his chin and thought for a while. “You know, Piggy, I don’t think he’d mind it so much if we were to consider many things. You’ve got a very handsome face overall as well as a good-natured personality, which I know he’ll love as he also has one. Tell you what; tomorrow I’ll have him come by in the afternoon to take a look himself. Just bring a flower with you and sniff it so he can tell who you are from the crowd of people walking. You’ll know who he is when he arrives!”

So the very next afternoon, the pig brought with him a beautiful rose to stand out from the crowd. As he stood by the side of the dirt street smelling it, a most wonderful white carriage came into view.

Unlike most carriages, it wasn’t enclosed, but rather looked like a pristine, gleaming cage. Decked around were the softest of white feathers and the fluffiest of goose down.

But what was most beautiful was the person seated in the centre. With the graceful curve of his brows like those of a weeping willow’s branches and limpid eyes that caught the shine of the sun, he looked every bit like a refined young master of a precious household.

The pig saw him and was blown away by his beauty. As for the heron, oh my! — for when his carriage drove past the gallant young gentleman by the street admiring a flower, he was immediately enamoured by those sword-like brows and dashing phoenix eyes. Nobody looked as good as the man, and nobody who looked at the man looked half as good!

And so their friend the rat spirit was to help arrange their marriage. Both heron and pig had decided to act quickly, fearing that the other would get snatched up by another spirit beast should they show any hesitation or were tardy in setting a day for their marriage.

The rat spirit happily scurried around ordering this and that from tailoring and commissioned the whose-who’s to help out with sourcing the caterers, flowers and so forth. As he adored matchmaking and preparing for weddings, he enjoyed himself tremendously and soon it was the wedding day itself. The pig spirit clapped him on the back heartily.

“Ratty ah, thank you for everything,” said the pig. “I couldn’t have found anyone so perfect without you.”

“Don’t mention it!” grinned the rat, gulping down his wine. As he ushered the guests away for the night, he bade the pig spirit to enter the marriage chamber to meet his spouse for the first time.

The pig spirit, breathing heavily in anticipation, entered the marriage chamber. When he saw the figure sitting on the bed in a very odd and unhuman way, he was taken aback.

“You…!” exclaimed the pig in horror, pointing at the heron’s legs. “You’ve still got birds’ legs!”

“Well, you’ve got a pig’s nose!” the heron pointed at him in return.

The two stared at each other for a while and then burst into laughter.

“Oh darling, we’re perfect for each other!” laughed the heron, wiping his eyes as he hugged his new husband.

And so, until today, the heron and the pig are still happily married. They’re the talk of town as the most darling of couples, and you can be sure who had contributed the most!

4