Chapter 6: But on Fire Within
2.3k 7 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The children spent the rest of the day and night after the dream just relaxing their bodies and by the next morning they felt mostly healed. As they were getting their breakfast, they were asked by Rosalind to come to her after her language lessons were finished to chat. With a nod they left to eat and simply waited until the last child from the lesson had run off outside.

Rosalind soon approached them and gave them both a warm hug and a bright smile.

“You both look well. I’m glad you’re feeling healthy so soon after your inheritance. Eyvor told me that you two looked terrible,” she said concernedly.

“We’re feeling fine. Better than fine actually. Both of our mana pools have densified by several degrees both of our spells are coming a lot easier, mine to a greater degree, and Ursy has – unfairly – buffed up some,” the blonde said gesturing to his partners now slightly taller and defined form.

“But we think that we should tell you what happened,” Ursula said solemnly.

“Please, you don’t have to tell me it is very private information,” was the big woman’s reply.

Ursula gave a quick glance to Sophia who gave a nod and whispered to the woman, “We actually saw seven people. Each.”

Rosalind was stunned into silence her mouth slightly gaping open, “Seven?” she said in a breathless whisper said,

Sophia gave the woman an earnest nod, “Yup. We both saw four elves at first then I saw a bunny woman that looked like a rogue, a mage cow woman and then a male gnome who looked to be an enchanter or an alchemist.”

Ursula quickly followed up, “And I saw the four elves then a tall horseman with a big sword,” she blushed slightly when the words came out of her lips, “then a wolfman warrior guy and lastly a female dwarf blacksmith.”

Rosalind struggled to form a response before she finally managed to blurt out some words, “You shouldn’t have seen any more than elves, even if you did see seven.”

Ursula’s eyes narrowed, “Why – how – do you know that?”

“Oh dear – uhh – I don’t think you should worry about that right now. W-What professions are you two interested in?” Rosalind stuttered out.

“Rosalind.” Ursula replied curtly.

Rosalind flinched and she hung her head, her straight brown hair acted like a curtain between them as she spoke in a sombre tone, “Are you sure you want to know?”

“Yes.” They both decisively said, their eyes resolute.

She continued in the same tone, “I wanted to wait before I told you this but – I know who your parents are.”

It was now the children’s turn to be stunned to silence.

She soon continued, “They – did not want either of you, so I took you both in.”

“Why didn’t they want us?” Sophia asked, a look of hurt confusion on his face.

The woman abruptly took them both into a hug, “It doesn’t matter. Just know that I will always look after you. Always.”

Ursula gave a frustrated sigh, “Does that mean both of our parents are still alive?”

They felt the tall woman’s head give a slight nod in affirmation.

“Please don’t go looking for them – I’ll lose you.” She sobbed.

“Tell us when we turn thirteen,” Sophia whispered.

“What?”

“Tell us the whole story when we turn thirteen after our second inheritance,“ the blonde said firmly.

Rosalind sighed once more and nodded, “Okay. I promise. Please don’t worry about this. Just stay with me my princesses.”

Although Sophia slightly flinched, they both whispered, “Of course.”

They stood there in a tight embrace for a minute before they released each other from the hug.

Rosalind gave them a wan smile, “Are you still interested in talking about your professions?”

The children gave her a wry grin as they gestured back to the table. After everyone was seated Rosalind began talking.

“What are you two interested in at the moment?” the brown-haired woman asked. “Don’t worry about not knowing what you want to do. While not too common, some can take a while before finding and settling in to one you like.”

“Is it best to pick a profession based on your ancestors’ ones?” Sophia asked curiously.

“For the most part people prefer the professions their ancestors took so I would like you to at least choose that role first before you go somewhere else. Do not be afraid to tell me if you don’t enjoy it however,” Rosalind advised.

“Then I guess I’ll try blacksmithing,” Ursula shrugged.

“And I’ll try enchanting or alchemy,” Sophia tacked on.

Rosalind thought for a moment before speaking, “Ursula I know of a good female blacksmith a little ways from here that should be good for you, even if she is a little – eccentric. And there is an enchanter nearby to her who I know – rather well,” her cheeks darkened a touch, “– and he dabbled in alchemy when he was young so he could give you a good idea of what it is.”

They both agreed and soon Rosalind and the children were meandering their way out of the orphanage. The duo barely flinching as they passed a few couples, and trios, having sex by the sidewalk.

“You’d think they are making kids nearby the orphanage to throw them away easier…” Ursula muttered darkly. Which caused her partner to give a dry chuckle.

 The slightly open area of the orphanage’s surrounds gave way to a more industrial region where workshops of all trades were situated. The sounds of blacksmiths hammering away at their anvils, explosions of alchemical workshops and stonemasons chiseling away at their latest works could clearly be heard across the din of people chatting as they made their way along the road.

They were led to a blacksmiths forge sequestered away from the main road. A steady stream of black smoke could be seen rising from a small smooth stone tower. Through the door a faint red glow could be seen increasing and decreasing in intensity at a steady rhythm.

Rosalind confidently opened the door letting out a wave of heat that swiftly evaporated the few traces of sweat they had garnered on their walk. In tandem with the heat rushing out was the almost deafening clang of a hammer striking an anvil.

Entering the smithy, they saw a completely naked woman standing directly inside the forge, both the blade and anvil nearly white hot from the heat.

The fire seemed to rise and fall with every slow breath she took in timing with her swings. They could see her large thighs and firm butt would clench, her core tightening until you could clearly outline each individual muscle. Then when her lungs reached fully capacity in perfect sync with her arm rose reaching shoulder height, she dropped her arm down like a guillotine onto the metal below releasing a large clang and a plume of sparks that were pushed aside by her forceful exhale.

The vibrations from the blow were sent back up into her arm and then through her body causing her medium sized breasts and big ass to ripple.

After a few minutes of hammering away at the blade she seemed satisfied and simply let it rest on the anvil, the flames still burning fiercely. She stepped out of the forge and stood stoically before them, her eyes looking carefully over their forms.

“She’s the one this time?” She asked with a heady timbre, her eyes focused on Ursula.

“Yes, her name – “

“– She can speak for herself.” The woman interrupted.

The auburn-haired girl looked concernedly towards Rosalind but she gave her an encouraging smile so she brought herself to her full height with fire in her eyes said, “My name is Ursula. And I will be your apprentice.”

The corner of the woman’s lips slightly twitched as she jerked her hand back towards the forge, “Show me what you got.”

“Axia I hardly think this is reasonable. The last time they spent months before – “Rosalind began before she was interrupted once more.

“I want to try.” Ursula said firmly.

Sophia whispered behind her, “Do or do not. There is no try.” Causing Ursula to lightly smile and correct her words to the adults.

“I will do it.”

Rosalind knelt next to the girl and said, “Honey, please, this is extremely dangerous.”

Ursula gave the tall woman a quick hug, “Let me show you how far we’ve come.”

The hug was swiftly returned with strength, causing a few of her bones to creak before she was released.

Ursula turned towards the forge and divested herself of her clothes. And started to murmur to herself, “I’ll want to block most of the heat, allow breathable room temperature air in and out. Considering the weight of the hammer I’ll need to strengthen my muscles from my legs all the way to my arm and I’ll need a physical barrier to block the sparks.”

She repeated the sentences a few times, her companions waiting with bated breath, and then closed her eyes. After a few seconds a hazy barrier snapped into place around her, moulding to her body. She opened her eyes and strode into the fire.

She flinched slightly at the temperature and adjusted her spell allowing her to walk confidently to the hammer and anvil. She set a solid stance before it and grasped the hammer with both hands. Flexing the muscles in her legs and her core she tried to lift the hammer. It rose a few millimetres, but she was unable to lift it any further. Exhausted she let it drop back down onto the anvil with a loud bang.

“Good. Be here early tomorrow morning.” Axia said curtly and then she walked back into the fire and resumed smithing.

Ursula quickly put her clothes back on and they exited the smithy in quiet contemplation.

On the way to the next store Sophia suddenly thought of something.

“Hey Rosa, what do the masters get out of the apprenticeships?” he asked.

“Other than free labour – masters have found that regularly teaching students speeds up their progress in the art. As we progress in our professions our ancestors’ memories guide us and so the masters may be able to learn something from you.” She explained.

“That does make sense,” Sophia said.

“You’ll both have a room to experiment and to rediscover any formulas or recipes that your ancestors made. I should let you know that it is considered rude of the masters to ask for them. But I have yet to have a problem with Axia or Tartok in that regard.” She said.

They walked along the cobblestone road and the children looked avidly at the displays of merchandise that looked far superior to what was sold at the markets. Listening in to a few conversations of people bartering on the prices for a few items caused the children to frown at the exorbitant costs and start looking jealously at the full pouches at the waists of the people around them.

Seeing their looks Rosalind gave them a disapproving glare followed by a chastising slap and, by pressing lightly on their backs, forced them to keep moving.

Contrary to Axia’s smithy Tartok’s shop was on the main road travelling through the industrial district. It was a relatively small building consisting of a single floor and made up of the ubiquitous smooth stone. They entered through the door to be greeted by a surprisingly large but utilitarian foyer, it was primarily made of a rich warm lacquered wood. There were a few small chairs and a table and sitting next to the only other door in the room was a service counter. On the counter was a small porcelain vase with a few sprigs of lavender causing the faint sweet smell of lavender to permeate the room.

“I’ll be with you in a minute!” A high-pitched voice squeaked out from behind the door.

Within a couple of seconds, the door opened and yet they didn’t see anyone walk through the door. The door looked to shut by itself and then suddenly big bat like ears with white fur were seen rising from underneath the bench. The ears were swiftly followed by a face with a happy grin. His short shock of white hair did nothing to impede his bright blue eyes from spotting Rosalind standing behind the kids.

“Rosalind,” he exclaimed his voice reaching an even higher pitch, “It’s good to see you. How’ve you been?”

“Good as always Tartok. And you?” the tall woman replied.

“I’ve been well. I think I’ve finally managed to get a stable enough enchantment to maintain an open storage area for your – um – request.” He said, stuttering on the last few words.

“Oh wonderful. When it’s finished, please let me know and I’ll come by and pay,” Rosalind said happily.

 He gave her a knowing grin, “I’m sure you’ll pay well as you always have.”

The children’s faces went slightly green.

“You mean they’re…?” Sophia asked quietly and Ursula solemnly nodded.

“Bats are known to use high frequencies to communicate so maybe – “Ursula began with a sly grin.

“– Please just stop. I don’t want to hear it.” The blonde boy pleaded as he lightly shivered in distaste.

He quickly turned back to the conversation between the two adults.

“I take it you’ve got another apprentice for me?” The bat like man asked.

Rosalind lightly patted Sophia on the back, “This is the one, her name is Sophia. She has an enchanter and alchemist ancestor which aligns closely to your current skillset.”

Suddenly the door locked, and the glass darkened as most of the lights in the room started to dim, the only exception was one placed directly above the man illuminating his body, his large ears casting a shadow across his face.

Although the children couldn’t see it Rosalind heavily rolled her eyes.

Tartok looked directly at Sophia and gave her a wide smile his eyes twinkling, and then he spoke his voice as deep and ominous as he could make it, “I have created over one-hundred runic schemes in use today. I have discovered perilous lands and fought ten-thousand men single handedly. Your search for knowledge shall not go wanting!” He exclaimed, his index finger pointing high up into the air, “For I am, Tartok the Magnificent!” 

A fanfare of trumpets sounded out from the shadows of the room as the man stood still holding his pose. Not hearing any reaction, he briefly opened his eyes to give an expectant look at the duo.

Reluctantly, they both tentatively started clapping, their faces set halfway between a smile and a grimace.

The short man gave off a cough muttering, “Strange that usually works,” and got off his platform and walked around the bench towards the children, the lights returning to their former strength as he did so.  

He stopped in front of then and although his ears reached past their current heights, his head remained well below theirs as he scanned Sophia from head to toe.

“Are you able to read Miss Sophia?” he asked jovially.

“Of course.” Was the quick reply.

“Then read the first chapter– “he snapped his fingers causing a book to appear in his other hand, “–of this book by tomorrow morning.”

The pair’s eyes widened, and smiles grew on their faces at the casual display of advanced magic which caused Tartok to give a small childish grin at their expressions.   

“Runic Rundown by Runius Carvit,” Sophia recited.

“Although a little outdated, I personally believe this is the best book to start with when learning runes. So just skip the section on inscribing if you read ahead.” He advised.

Tartok looked passed the group to see several people standing unhappily outside the locked door to the shop. He gave them a weak smile and started to usher them out the door.

“Thanks for dropping by Rosa. I look forward to teaching you soon Sophia!” He exclaimed and then pushed them out the door, turned to one of the people waiting with a smile and gestured for them to walk inside.

“Well regardless of that premature… ending,” the tall woman huffed out, “I think it will work out well for the both of you.”

Ursula glanced over at Sophia who was hugging the book close to his chest, “Yup, I think we’re both pretty happy.”

As they took a few steps away from the store they were hit by a wave of odour coming from the nearby buildings.

“His store always smells so good. I’ve always loved lavender.” The tall woman said wistfully.

Their noses wrinkled, the children could only nod.

 

<-{|}->

 

The pair spent the rest of the day sitting in the shade of their usual tree outside with Ursula tightly holding to Sophia as she sat in her lap reading his book. She looked down fondly at his face, his tongue slightly poking out, as he focused intently on reading the book.

Soon it was time for dinner and the children grabbed their food and sat down next to Eyvor.

“Hey kiddos. How’d the meetings go?” She asked.

“They went well. We’ve both seem to have a good teacher,” the brown-eyed girl said before a sudden thought struck her, “Actually, Eyvor, what’s your profession?”

The woman gave her an impish grin, “Do you think all those wooden toys in my room come out of nowhere?”

Ursula copied her grin and lightly elbowed Sophia, “Don’t you need some toys? You used to play with them a lot when you were younger.”

The poor boys face light up bright red and he quickly ducked his head and started shovelling the food into his mouth.

“In all seriousness, I prefer to work on my woodworking, but I can tailor some clothes if needs be. So, if you need some help with that just let me know,” said the buxom woman.

Ursula gave her a hug, “Thanks Eyvor, you’re the best big sister a girl could ask for.”

She ruffled Ursula’s hair saying, “You’re welcome little sis.” She quickly ruffled Sophia’s hair as well, as he was drinking his milk, causing him to weakly flail his arms in defence.

They finished dinner and headed off to their room. After changing, conjuring their blanket, and setting up their spells they were soon lying in bed facing each other.

“Do you think Tartok would know of a way to travel back home?” the auburn-haired girl asked.

Sophia sighed, “Probably not. It’s a pretty obscure thing to research.”

“Well at least he knows runes and alchemy if that show was anything to go by.” Ursula commented.

“Of course, he knows,” the boy said enthusiastically, before he dropped the pitch of his voice dramatically and said, “It’s because he’s Bat-Man.”

Ursula looked deadpan at Sophia and in a monotone said, “Why I’ve been friends with you for nearly fifteen years now is anyone’s guess.”

“You adopted my introverted self way back when so I’m your responsibility,” he said with a happy lilt as he snuggled into her.

The girl sighed heavily as a warm smile spread across her face. She lightly caressed his head and said, “Yeah – I suppose so.”

69