Chapter 10: Whose Lies Were Too Good to Last
1.9k 8 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “Alright. Tell me everything.”

Ursula gathered herself for a few moments, “Okay. So last night when I picked him up from Tartok’s store the bastard was sitting there all happy and when I asked him why he said something along the lines of cracking a problem he’s had for the last three years.”

“Oh,” Eyvor sighed.

“Yup. We started our apprenticeships three years ago. Anyways, Sophia looked super groggy, and as we were leaving said that he liked the lavender smell of Tartok’s shop,” Ursula explained, finishing with a knowing look at her compatriot.

“Damn. He’s got Rosalind as well. She’s always talking about how much she loves lavender when near his shop.” The woman exclaimed.

“She wasn’t here when we got back, but we should definitely explain this whole thing to her.” The auburn-haired girl added.

“Is that wise? I mean Sophia doesn’t seem too affected, but Rosalind could be.” Eyvor pointed out, giving a timid smile to the blonde boy.

“True. We may need to get help without her. And now that you mention it she was rather generous with information when we were introduced to him. Anyways, Soph was acting pretty weird this morning, the pink dress aside, he was willing to tell a rather personal secret to Tartok. Luckily whatever is affecting him doesn’t seem intimate in nature. I wonder if the effect gets renewed by Tartok’s lavender scent or is it permanent?” Ursula finished.

“Could I just confirm first Ursula?” Eyvor asked, gesturing to Sophia.

“Go ahead,” Ursula paced off to the side, her mind furiously working.

“Sophia. Um, I’m not sure what to ask…” Eyvor trailed off, but her eyes chanced upon Ursula’s form, “Sophia. Are you interested in anyone?”

Ursula stopped pacing and focused on her hearing.

“Ursula of course,” Sophia replied without a hint of shame, “I’ve liked her since before-”

“-That’s enough Soph,” Ursula cut the blonde off, although her eyes were sparkling. She turned to Eyvor “Does that prove your point?”

“Yup,” a cheeky grin lit up Eyvor’s face, but it soon turned serious, “All this aside, it’ll be difficult to go to the guards for this.”

“Why?”

“Do you think he was getting Sophia to enchant all those daggers for nothing? Who do you think supplies most of the enchanted equipment for the guard and has done so for the last fifty years?”

“Fuck.”

At the swear word Eyvor did give the girl a quick raise of her eyebrow. Ursula deadpanned back and said, “Really?”

“Well, something is definitely up,” The Eyvor said matter-of-factly, “We know that whatever caused this is probably done by something he’s put in his lavender bubble. But how did he get a hold of something so restricted and so subtle. And why was Sophia’s change so un-subtle?”

Ursula groaned and cradled her head in her hands, “It’s on the tip of my tongue-“

To which Eyvor looked at her baffled, “What does that mean?”

“Oh. Like I know something and it’s just out of re-“ The girl stopped, “Fuck. He’s making the potions himself.”

“But he’s an enchanter.” Eyvor refuted.

“When Rosalind first mentioned him to us she said that he was an enchanter, yes. But she also said he dabbled in alchemy. But Sophia never mentioned ever receiving alchemy lessons.” The brown-eyed girl explained. Sophia bowed his head in agreeance.

They sat for a few minutes to absorb the information before Eyvor broke the silence.

“In the end what does he gain though. He doesn’t seem the type to want women. And it is absolutely impossible to fool the gods, even if Sophia was alchemically influenced to like him they can tell the difference-“ Ursula gave a small exhale of relief,”-so going after kids isn’t an option either.” The woman mused.

They spent a few more minutes to think on the problem but could only shake their heads.

“I guess we can only get it from the man himself,” Ursula voiced, causing Eyvor to nod her head. “So what’s next?”

“Well, I can only think of one person who could help us right now who’s within easy reach and that’s my headmaster Arne. He’s usually in early and while not powerful himself he may have some connections that could help – even if he’s not too happy to see me.” Eyvor finished with a thousand yard stare.

Ursula opened her mouth but Eyvor stalled her with a raised hand.

“Don’t ask.” The buxom lady said with a shiver, “Right, let’s get going. But before we go, we need to deal with Sophia.”

Sophia’s eyes widened and he edged back to the side of the room.

“Not like that you idiot,” Eyvor huffed, “We can’t have you blurting out answers to every question you hear so you’re going to stay right here.”

Sophia puffed out his cheeks in indignation and crossed his arms.

“She’s right Soph,” Ursula said sadly.

Sophia stomped over to the bed and sat down, turning his back towards them. An exasperated smile formed on both girl’s faces.

“That boy,” Ursula shook her head, “Should I try and ask Axia for help? She’s super strong.”

“While I have no doubt that she is strong kiddo, she’s just not suited to deal with an enchanter,” Eyvor replied consolingly.

Eyvor began to push Ursula out of the room but as they were about to leave Eyvor briefly stopped.

“Ursula, Sophia, when this is all over. You’re going to tell Rosalind and I what really happened – what happened five years ago.” The dark-brown-haired woman said sharply.

“We actually are reinc-” Sophia began only to be cut off by Ursula again.

“-There’s nothing to be said, we only…“Ursula took a quick inhale to deny but after trying to think of an excuse she could only bow her head and nod solemnly.

It was still early in the morning when they left the orphanage, and the sun was still hidden behind swathes of grey clouds releasing a fine rain. Very few people were on the road as the pair plodded their way towards the school. Ursula give a heated glare at Tartok’s store as they passed by the industrial district and headed to the education district. Seeing Ursula’s curious looks Eyvor began to explain their surroundings.

“The education district was added shortly after the construction of the city of Aedar. The ruler at the time Bedar, King Aedar’s son, thought that a people who could better themselves would provide a better kingdom – though most just think it was so he could bed schoolgirls.  He’s also the reason why we don’t have to wear school uniforms or skirts. There are schools for general learning for ten to thirteen, where you’ll be learning how to read, write, use your numbers, the basics of magic and martial arts.”

“But we already know how to do all of that. Can we skip it?” The young girl whined.

A smug smile grew on Eyvor’s face, “Nope. You’re going to have a super fun time!”, causing Ursula to weakly glare in response.

“Then there’s more specialised learning. Trond for supreme magical and martial learning, Einar for the meatheads and then finally Dagrun for the nerds. While they are all good, the best for commoners like us is Trond, which is where we are going.” She concluded with a smile.

“Not biased at all are you?” The small girl asked glibly.

“Nope.”

 

<-{|}->

 

They walked into a large ornate building made of large granite blocks, filled with courtyards, classrooms and gardens. Lifelike sculptures and intricate glassworks could be easily found wherever you looked and already students, who looked to be in their late teens, could be seen rushing to and fro between classrooms.

Eyvor pulled Ursula aside before they entered the property.

“So Headmaster Arne is an eagle animan-“

“What’s an animan?” Ursula interrupted.

Eyvor shot her a look, “It’s how people with animalistic traits are described, Tartok – may his soul burn in eternal hellfire – is considered a bat animan.”

“So I’ve been saying it wrong this whole time? Why was I never corrected?”

“Well firstly it’s not really used in conversation, and secondly you previously did know the difference – before you turned five. But we’ll get to that later.” Eyvor curtly responded. “Headmaster Arne is an eagle animan and is unfortunately losing some of the plumage on his head. Whatever you do, do not look at it, okay? Bad things will happen,” She cautioned with a heavy shiver and a stern gaze.

Ursula nodded gravely.

Eyvor grabbed the auburn-haired girls hand and led her through the maze of passageways and stairs until they reached an empty desk sitting beside an ornate door. The woman rapped her hand on the dark wood three times and the door swung inwards revealing an eagle animan sitting behind his desk, slowly working through a stack of papers sitting on his richly coloured wooden desk, his feather free head shining under the arcane lights. Sitting upon his nose was a pair of small spectacles a simple chain of metal looping behind his head from its arms.

Ursula took a quick wide eye view of the room and laughed inwardly as she thought to herself, ‘He’s a bald eagle.’

The man looked up from his work and audibly sighed as he took in the two forms in front of him, “Ms. Eyvor. What brings you to my office this early in the morning?”

“This time it’s actually important Headmaster,” She said soberly, “So I’ll get right to it. We have reason to believe that Tartok the Enchanter has been using alchemy to influence his students and Rosalind of the Orphanage.”

The eagle man looked deeply into Eyvor’s determined eyes, nodding at what he saw, “This is very serious.” He looked at Ursula, “And how does this one relate to the situation.”

“It’s my – friend, sir, he was acting differently last afternoon all the way to this morning.” Ursula spoke up, her tone pleading.

Headmaster Arne looked back at Eyvor who nodded, he sighed once more, “Ms. Eyvor as you most likely know Tartok is very well connected among the upper ranks of the guards. What you may not know is he also has some powerful friends among the nobles due to his wide range of – no questions asked – enchantments, have you any other proof?” He spotted Ursula frantically fidgeting, “To allay your fears, while most alchemical concoctions after they have been imbibed are difficult to discover, once identified they are simple to remove.”

“Great. That’s amazing!” Eyvor said with a large smile on her face, “We know that he puts it into his lavender scented air at his shop. Both R-Rosalind and Sophia,” she stuttered for a moment as her throat caught and gestured to Ursula, “her friend, has said that they love the smell of lavender and previously Sophia did not. Also, he just has no filter to what he says, it’s almost like he can’t make fully informed decisions.”

“Sophia also saw him getting serviced from one of his students on a few occasions. Not sure if that makes any difference but I thought I’d add it.” Ursula tacked on.

The man’s eyes tightened, “I see. I’m glad you’ve brought this to my attention. Do you have any other pertinent information to share?”

“Just suspicions Headmaster,” he motioned for her to continue, “I believe it is supposed to be a gradual process. Tartok wouldn’t rush to influence Sophia unless he was about to be put into a situation where he would be more likely to be exposed which I assume is having the change be recognised at school. Also, he definitely has a greater purpose than getting favours from women, it just doesn’t make sense.”

Arne nodded thoughtfully, “If only you showed this intelligence in class Ms. Eyvor.”

The dark-brown haired woman smiled wryly, “I think we both know that all orphanage students underperform in this school. While you’re mostly outside the influence of the nobles, the students are not.”

“It is a shame that my school has reached such a state,” he stated with deep melancholy, he turned his piercing eyes towards Ursula, “And young miss – I don’t believe I have had the pleasure of receiving your name?”

“Ursula,” the girl said curtly.

“Ms. Ursula you remind me of someone I know well. It might be best if you and Mr. Sophia learn some good disguise spells, yes?” He said with a cheeky lilt and a wink.

“Um – yes sir.” The girl babbled out.

“Good. Now unfortunately, I must first confirm your information and then my preparations will take a few days. Please do not cause Tartok any unwarranted concern. Even if that means altering a few memories, an unprepared enchanter on his favoured territory is difficult to manage let alone a master.” Arne explained.

“Are you sure sir? I don’t want to change or remove any of my friend’s memories,” Ursula asked tentatively.

Headmaster Arne bowed his head, “I’m sorry, but right now Tartok will be extremely vigilant. Suspicious movements could make him act drastically.”

Ursula gave a quick hollow sigh and a nod.

 “Thank you for your help, Headmaster Arne,” Eyvor said sincerely, and Ursula nodded in tandem.

He gave them a warm smile, “I will always help children in need. I wish you a safe trip home.”

 

<-{|}->

 

They managed to make it back in time for breakfast and they both ran upstairs to where they had left the blonde.

Sophia looked hopefully up at the pair as they entered, “You took so long. Will they be able to help me?”

“Yup,” Ursula said cheerfully, “It may take some time, but you’ll be back to one hundred percent in no time!”

“Good,” Sophia said with a huge sigh of relief, “I’m worried that I’d push you away by telling you that I like-”

“Hush, I like you too,” Ursula placed a calloused finger on Sophia’s lips, “There’s nothing you could that that could offend me.”

“Pineapple on pizza is the best.” Sophia quickly replied.

Ursula looked blankly at Sophia and took a deep breath in, and let it out in a long exhale, “I’ll take what I said back. Just be quiet.”

Eyvor piped up from the corner of the room, “I’m sorry Sophia, but you’re going to have to keep on going back to Tartok’s.”

Sophia opened her mouth to protest, but Ursula forestalled it by raising her hand.

“I hate it Soph, but he can’t get suspicious. We can’t confront him at all so they’re getting someone in to take a look and hopefully take care of him. We just have to hope he doesn’t ask any questions about your past. That also means that we’re going to have to remove the memory for the last couple of hours, so you don’t just blurt out that we’re on to him when you see him next.” Ursula said apologetically.

“Can I get the memory back when this is all over?”

Ursula turned to look at Eyvor who shook her head with a grimace, “Sorry kiddos, the only spell I know erases the memories.”

“That also means I’ll forget you – forget us.” Sophia said forlornly.

“Sophia, if you think anything other than you two getting together is going to happen, you’re crazy,” Eyvor scoffed and rolled her eyes.

Both children ducked their heads as warmth bloomed in their cheeks.

“Right let’s get to it!” Eyvor shouted, “First let’s get you asleep Sophia.”

With one last lingering look at Ursula, Sophia laid down on the bed and waited.

It only took a few minutes for Eyvor to teach the memory spell to Ursula. After putting Sophia to sleep Ursula cast the spell, the blonde’s natural shielding simply allowing her familiar magic to pass. Eyvor gave the blacksmith’s apprentice a reassuring pat on the back and then quickly left allowing for Ursula to dispel the magical sleep.

Sophia’s eyes fluttered open, “Morning Ursy.”, he mumbled, “Why am I wearing my work dress?”

“You slept through me putting it on you. We’re running late.” Ursula rapidly spoke, dragging Sophia out of the room,

“Why do I feel like I’ve already eaten,” Sophia asked, puzzled.

“You must just still be full from last night, come on!” Ursula rushed.

Over the next few days Sophia had her sense of reason gradually returned until the boy was no different than before. After a week had passed and Tartok was still none-the-wiser, Eyvor slipped a note to an ecstatic Ursula. Upon which was a single word.

Tomorrow.

 

<-{|}->

 

The next day Ursula followed Sophia from behind. She watched from an alley as the boy happily entered into the shop, inhaling deeply of the lavender scent, greeting Tartok as she did so. She watched as customers came and went from the store. She watched and waited.

And waited…

And waited.

A non-descript person wearing a hood walked into the shop, Ursula’s eyes dismissed them and continued to scan across the street.

All of a sudden the front of the shop exploded out in a shower of wooden and stone fragments causing nearby windows to shatter and Ursula’s keen ears to ring. When she opened her eyes again she caught a brief glimpse of the hooded figure chasing down a man sized missile as he was ejected from his shop.

“Smart.” Ursula muttered as she ran after the pair, dodging a few people stunned by the shockwave.

Although she had been doing some intense physical training her small childish legs could only carry her so fast. She closed in on the general area of Tartok's trajectory to a small field just outside the industrial district. Hearing the sounds of an intense fight she flopped to the ground, cast a camouflage spell on herself, and crawled forward through the underbrush to have a peek at their fight.

At first she could only see Tartok standing stock still with a large gnarled staff in his hand and an array of arcane shields surrounded his body. The magical power from the shield was so strong it could easily be seen to the naked eye as a bubble of swirling colours. The grass just outside his shield had patches of charred earth still smouldering as the embers were carried off in the cool evening wind.

He raised his staff and a vortex of swirling winds erupted from him seeking out the hooded figure at an outrageous speed, he swiftly followed it up with a spell that turned the area in a one-hundred meter radius to ice and then swiftly cast another spell to shroud the area in a dark haze.

The figure stood there a simple long sword at the ready as the vortex closed in and then they moved. With a burst of fire magic they blasted away from their spot at an inhuman speed, the ice where they stepped sizzled away in a microsecond from the intense heat. Tartok quickly raised a wall of ice but the figure simply ploughed through it.

The figure then ducked underneath the spear of ice that Tartok shot at them and then swung their sword at Tartok’s barrier. Just as the sword hit the barrier it released an explosion of fire, the figure using the resultant force from the magic to swiftly retreat dozens of meters away.

Tartok growled and dissipated the shroud of darkness which did not seem to impede his opponent at all. Ursula could now see a thick fog of magic surrounding the figure’s body as they pumped it into their muscles and sprung forward once more.

They danced around the flurry of wind blades that Tartok sent, this time thrusting the point of their blade to deliver another explosion of fire magic. Tartok’s serious face turned a touch smug as he channeled magic into his cloak. It separated from his body and fell to the ground and then melted into the shadows, then from behind the person a spear of shadow leapt from the ground aimed at their leg.

Tartok’s eyes sparkled as the spear pierced through the person’s clothes only for it to stop dead at their skin. Using that momentary lapse of Tartok’s concentration the person brutally swung their blade once more into the shield, the blade’s edge white hot.

Tartok sent out of wave of wind forcing the figure back a few steps, “Give up! You’ll never breach my barrier!” Tartok snarled out.

The figure paused for a moment and tilted their head and an androgynous voice sounded out, “Who decided that?”, and with a burst of magic viciously swung their sword down causing Tartok’s barrier to cave in. For the first time that fight Tartok moved, trying to run away. The blade swung down again causing the barrier to visibly dim, Tartok’s breathing immediately becoming much more laboured as he funnelled his magic into the shield to bolster it.

It was however, to no effect, as the blade sang through the air and finally ruptured the shield. Tartok desperately channelled the last of his magic into his boots which lit up as he did so, he then flicked a ring off his finger which burst into tendrils of shadow and encased his foe.

He turned and began putting his strength into his legs to sprint away.

It was at this moment Ursula finally struck.

His natural shielding was still strong although severely diminished. So, she vanished a small volume of earth a couple of centimetres beneath his feet. When he tried to leap away his legs burst though the thin cover, causing him to stumble to the ground. This gave the cloaked figure enough time to break through the bindings with an eruption of flame, quickly spotting Tartok on a knee in front of them.

With one last burst of speed, they kneeled over him and slammed his head with the pommel of their sword.

Tartok had been defeated.

72