Chapter 14 – Apex (Part 3)
60 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14 - Apex (Part 3)

Berto smiled and took the small feline into his embrace as he stood up. Nhori looked like a cat of the Bengal variety and seemed to be in utter confusion regarding her size and nature. Alberto stepped into the Rift as it vanished into nothingness and walked out, into a moonlit night near the shelter. The sky was alight with the colors of sirens and flares, as skirmishes took place downtown, among Champions and monsters. "I think we're going to be just fine.." said the survivor as he cradled his magical cat.

• • •

Berto was definitely not fine.. or in a good mood for that matter, as the two people he respected most took turns yelling at him for the past forty minutes. His father and the bedridden Manuel were worried sick these past days that the youth had spent in the Rift as he had vanished before giving anyone a heads up. Berto knew they had every right to be angry at him but it was so frustrating not being able to explain himself properly. 

"You were only a day out of the hospital boy! What were you thinking?" said his father. 

"Look guys I didn't want to worry you and secondly it wasn't planned. I found a new job.. something that can provide enough for the entire shelter.." answered the corner man. Manuel looked curiously at the boy. He was also laid off dishonorably by Cerberus Dynamics for the incident without agreeing to even pay for his medical bills. Berto was starting to really hate his former employers. 

"Turns out I am awakened.. I can't do anything special I just can't get sick from Mana.. As I was returning here, after getting my license, a temporary Rift opened up out of nowhere and some Champions showed up to close it. They didn't have a transporter so I volunteered. It was a temporary Rift.. it was either go in and take the cash or lose the opportunity.."

"Then lose the opportunity!" yelled back the concerned father, "My son is no son of a bitch Champion! Money doesn't make them better than us!"

"I'm not a Champion papa! I just carried stuff for them back and forth! That's it! And with the shortage of people they paid me a ton of money.. they even gave me a share of the haul.." 

"Niño.. no one is saying you didn't have good intentions in heart.. I know you always do. But it was still irresponsible and unlike you! You promised me you would protect Coletta and then vanish into a Rift after just escaping one the previous day? Don't you realise how loco that is?" stated Manuel from his bed. 

And he did. He could see how insane this must seem to them. But to him? Everything was a straight line now that he had the power of the Evergreen on his side. The experienced Engineer looked even more pale than he did a few days ago. His Mana poisoning was eating at him at an accelerated degree and Berto couldn't even bare to look at his mentor in this state. It was exactly like this when his mother died. This is the reason he could not heed their warning. This is the reason he needed to close Rifts, so that people would finally stop losing their loved ones like this.

"You guys are right.. I didn't handle things well. I was rash and didn't think ahead... But I can't stop!"

"Berto!" continued Manuel in a scolding tone as Eugenio scoffed at his son's stubbornness.

"I don't have a job.. neither do you two. The island's a mess! I can't find work as an engineer like this! Working as an awakened can give me enough to support the entire shelter.. It already has! Food, beddings, medicine! None of this would be possible with a normal salary, especially not this fast.."

"We could still get by.." said Eugenio finally.

"I don't want to just 'get by' anymore papa.. I don't want us to be afraid.. I don't want to keep losing people I care about.."

"So what? We should lose you instead?" answered Eugenio and walked out the door in frustration. Manuel tried to call out his name but ended up coughing as his lungs spasmed uncontrollably. Berto was divided amongst the two and ended up at Manuel's side trying to help by offering some water.

Outside the room, a young woman watched as Eugenio stormed out and then turned her attention back to Berto, keeping her ear to the door. She was quite the unique presence amongst all the residents at the shelter. She followed a Gothic style of clothing, black colors mostly with a long baggy skirt. Stitchings of strange letter-like symbols on her blouse and especially on the cuffs of her sleeves. She was thin and relatively short, just under 1,65 meters. Her hair was an abrasive white with black pins holding back her bangs and other loose strands, forming a messy look. Finally her face was pale and her make up aligned pretty much with the rest of her look. 

She peeked through the opened door and watched as the young engineer took care of his sick mentor and smiled. "Well.. turns out our latest Conduit is of the heroic persuasion.. Good.." she mused with a grin before uttering some strange words in a language long forgotten.

• • •

The day after, Berto had gone to the Guild with all his looted goods, eager to see what bounty he would be leaving with. Champions were coming and going by the dozens! Hauling exotic treasures and Monster Hearts, larger than any he had ever seen. They gave the young unassuming man dismissing looks as he passed them by, followed by a small spotted feline!

The Trade Cashier was once again, at a loss with his haul. "And you said you were a Transporter on this expedition? What were your contracted terms? And.. which Rift was this from again?" she asked with visible doubt. Transporters were given a decent salary but almost none of the loot. Berto had just emptied his bag on her examination table. 16 Monster Hearts and 19 coins of iradiated gold. 

"Spontaneous Rift I'm afraid.. Verbal contract only and no chance to catalogue it. I was picked up on the spot and also worked as a scout and survival expert for our small group. So they decided to give me a share of the loot as well.." answered Berto with a smile, some of his augmented Charisma, oozing through the cracks of whatever separated his two bodies.

"Certainly.. And you are also..a.. survival expert.." replied the unconvinced cashier as she scanned the lazy looking man, up and down. She had worked at this station for three years and another two in the Guild of Miami city, before that. She knew of the greed and arrogance that came with being a individual with superhuman powers. She couldn't bring herself to believe that there were Champions out there, that would willingly part with this many earrings just to thank a powerless worker for his hard work. "I believe it would be best if first filed a repor.." she said before being cut off. 

"I can also vouch for Mr Ferantelli's excellent skills in survival and scavenging.." stated a smiling Greywood as he approached the market stand, removing his sunglasses. Berto stared back at the Cerberus Dynamics agent and tried not to look startled by his arrival. "He is the only C Grade.. or any Grade for that matter, that I know, who has survived being alone in a rift for more than three days! Even brought back loot to show for it!". The woman was stunned by his presence, even more so than Berto. Greywood was a Twin Star Champion. In any Guild he was regarded as an executive. His powers were limited due to the fact that he had signed on with a private contractor, but still.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Greywood I was only.." stuttered the woman as she lowered her gaze to her computer screen, staring awkwardly at the electronic report she had just opened. "I can testify that Mr Alberto here entered the 'Iguana Park' Rift about five days ago. He and his team saved a lot of people in the shelter nearby from a nasty suprise. We already have few Champions as it is, let's not scare away what remains by inventigating them and refusing to pay their earnings.". 

"Understood sir.. I'm processing the taxation and transfer now.." replied the woman but with a small hint of frustration or anger. "Congratulations Mr Ferantelli, 35.320 US dollars were safely deposited in your account.". Berto nodded stoically but was screaming internally. Greywood passed an arm around his shoulders and started escorting him. "I'm not sure how you're doing it but you need to lay low. At least join a team.. that should lessen the focus on yourself.." suggested Greywood as they walked. 

"You had me.." 

"Followed? Of course.. No one can do what you did and come out of it unscarred, mentally or physically. You seemed even stronger when you stood up to us in the hospital. Now.. it's not my intention to have Cerberus probe you, but I must say I'm intrigued. We couldn't follow you in the Rift to see you in action and scanners indicate your Mana levels are on par with that of a normal human. So.. how does someone like you, with no training, no physical advantages or special weapons, deal with monsters and survive Rifts all by yourself?"

"Look, I really appreciate the assist back there but I don't think I should be telling anyone about my techniques.." answered Berto, trying to stand his ground and be vague at the same time. 

"Haha ok, ok.. Be like that. However, sooner or later, people will start asking the right questions. People with much less interest in your well being than I. You should either cut back on your earnings by joining a team or at the very least, find a different place to conduct business.. Somewhere where no one asks questions. Berto took the older man's advice with suspicion and fear. "Thank you.. I'll try.." he said finally before waving and running off followed by Nhori after an annoyed 'miaou'. 

"Hmm weird kid.." mused the man before wearing his sunglasses again, "I think I'm gonna like him.. Let's see what you do next Mr Ferantelli..".

Berto left the Guild market in a hurry, feeling as if he were being chased. What should he do? What could he do? This business had more money than he had ever imagined! He was getting good at it and was also helping people by closing a Rift. But Greywood was right.. People would eventually find out. They would have to test him again and it wouldn't make any sense for a man of his talents and physique to able to survive all that he could. The engineer racked his brain but no easy solution came to him. Even if he hid his identity from others he couldn't hide from the Guild so what was the point? Who else could supply him with resources and a vendor if not the Guild? What choices did he have that he hadn't thought of?

He crossed a street and arrived under his apartment. The streets were empty, soldiers were patrolling for Rift activity and a lone coffee shop had its lights still on. The low hum of music coming from inside was inviting. Berto sighed and then smiled. He picked up Nhori and approached the door. "Problems for another day tiny jaguar. For now, let's take care of that overdue coffee.." he whispered to his companion as he pushed the door open. The café owner, Miguel, looked up as the two entered and smiled. They were the only ones there and the café seemed to be lacking any patrons for some days now because of the Rift panic. Miguel escorted Berto to the bar, excitedly petting Nhori. The barista brewed hot beverages for the two of them and started talking about nothing and everything for hours

2